Pretty expensive for a computer that lacks many basic peripherals and ports available even on netbooks.

I'd consider a MacBook Pro, but not an Air. The Air is way overpriced considering it lacks the hardware available on the Pro.
    That's like saying a Curve 9300 is overpriced considering it lacks the hardware available on a Bold 9780. FYI, the cheapest MBA goes for $999 now, and its competitors on the market (talking about ultra slim notebooks) are more expensive than that. Just google "macbook air competitors" if you will.

In response to other comments, macs are not really "more well suited" for design/production programs. It's another can of worms and I'm gonna keep the lid tight on this one so this thread doesn't get derailed. Anyway, I use a MBP for design work on the move, and if I were to get a desktop I would build one myself and run Windows on it, no hesitation.
    07-29-11 03:59 AM
    Windows: Only for managing my blackberry, editing serious video, importing video off MiniDV/VHS camcorder (Kino will fully mature some day).

Soon to be Linux, as there's a LinBerry desktop manager in the works, only in alpha stage right now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    That's interesting, I'm looking to install Linux on a spare computer as I don't want my computer to be a windows terminal served by a main frame. that's what used to happen in the old days, it's just the web replacing the wires. Which back on to the post is what windows phone 7 is doing becoming a terminal device rather than as BlackBerry a stand alone or web base.
    07-29-11 04:57 AM
    MS is going to do awesome stuff in the future, when they link everything into one big windows "soup", waiting for windows 8 to control the touch screens in my house
    For my mobile needs I think I'll always stick to BB as long as it keeps doing exactly what I expect from my phone...communicate...
    You have hit on the future, we will soon control everything in our new homes with a central screen. Dryer, washer, dishwasher, home theater, even the shower. Stove, the list goes on.Alan
    07-29-11 05:08 AM
    You have hit on the future, we will soon control everything in our new homes with a central screen. Dryer, washer, dishwasher, home theater, even the shower. Stove, the list goes on.Alan
    And so will every thief
    07-29-11 05:12 AM
    Pretty expensive for a computer that lacks many basic peripherals and ports available even on netbooks.

I'd consider a MacBook Pro, but not an Air. The Air is way overpriced considering it lacks the hardware available on the Pro.
    It's about portability
    The MacBook Air is ultra light, I don't need ports on planes, and in hotels, I need internet, and battery life,
    Cost really isn't a factor

07-29-11 07:21 AM
    Seconded. I mean I could see running as a backup for some things but... damn... Windows only?

I thought Mac was better suited for video editing and that whole situation?
    They are just better for everything. They just work.

BTW I get paid to develop Windows applications but when I get home, I would rather just use a Mac for my home computing tasks. Sometimes for fun I do drop down to the Unix command line and run a few X applications though.
    07-29-11 08:18 AM
    In all fairness, a 1% difference likely falls into "too close to call" territory.
    Pretty sad no matter how much you rationalize it.
    07-29-11 08:47 AM
    They are just better for everything. They just work.

BTW I get paid to develop Windows applications but when I get home, I would rather just use a Mac for my home computing tasks. Sometimes for fun I do drop down to the Unix command line and run a few X applications though.

I agree on all statements made regarding mac. I love mine and OSX. I was looking to get the new mini since I thought it would be better suited for gaming with all the updates but I can't get a definitive answer one way or the other.

I work with windows and google products. I used to love Chrome and gmail.... But now I just c an't work with them. switched over to safari and the mail app.

I don't know about unix so I can't comment because I am not that technically skilled.

In terms of WP7, I just can't get behind it until they get move forward with a product worth using- ie windows.

It's hard to say what I will choose if RIM continues to decline. I like mac but I love a keyboard. Android seems too immature and buggy to me. What else? WebOs isn't performing well.

Battery life is also an issue...
    07-29-11 12:49 PM

Not to forget it lacks an optical drive, which classifies it as an overpriced netbook with a pentium dual core CPU instead of an atom cpu. Sony also sells ultra pocket sized netbooks for $999 after tax. Same specs and all, just thinner and harder to use. Tracksticks are annoying. They used to dub it "pocket sized laptop", labeling it with a duel core xeon, but CPUID (that wonderful program) never lies. That's how they couldn't trick me hehehe

Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-29-11 02:11 PM
    I use Mac's now at home too. They just work. I was having to fix my kids windows boxes constantly (viruses, updates, etc.), but I haven't touched my son's Mac Mini in over a year of being in service! I don't want to come home from work to mess around with fixing computers.
    07-29-11 03:37 PM
    It's about portability
    The MacBook Air is ultra light, I don't need ports on planes, and in hotels, I need internet, and battery life,
    Cost really isn't a factor

If that is the case, a tablet would probably be suitable.
    07-29-11 05:23 PM
    Not to forget it lacks an optical drive, which classifies it as an overpriced netbook with a pentium dual core CPU instead of an atom cpu. Sony also sells ultra pocket sized netbooks for $999 after tax. Same specs and all, just thinner and harder to use. Tracksticks are annoying. They used to dub it "pocket sized laptop", labeling it with a duel core xeon, but CPUID (that wonderful program) never lies. That's how they couldn't trick me hehehe

Macbook Airs never had Pentium Dual Cores in them.

Anyway, I believe you're talking about the P series. Those things are sporting 8" screens btw. That and the extremely annoying "trackstick" which would compel someone to throw the netbook against the wall. I'd say the low-end S series are on more on par for similar price points, but it still pales in comparison to the MBA which comes with a SSD shipped. Also, you might want to look at your definition of a netbook again. If the lack of an optical drive classifies one as such, then Sony sells $2000 netbooks as well.

Back to the main topic (once again ), I'd strongly recommend people who are not so sure about WP7 to pick one up and try it out. Like what people say about videos/screenshots not doing the Bold 9900 any justice, it's the same for WP7. IMO it's a very promising underdog and with Nokia and MS's partnership things are looking good on the horizon.
    07-29-11 08:45 PM
    It really depends on the usage. I'm sure deRusett has done his research and I concur with him that the MBA is a good choice. The latest generation is faster than the 2010 17" MBP, which speaks a lot of its capability. Basically, you can run Adobe CS5 on it without a hitch.
    07-29-11 08:49 PM
    As a dual phone, dual laptop, and tablet carrier different things have different strengths. A tablet can not replace a laptop yet for most cases, full keyboard and 100's of GB of storage just can't be had effectively on a tablet.
    I DON'T own a MacBook Air because the computer I'd want to replace is company issued and they'd never spend the premium on a Apple product AND an extra Microsoft license so this was pure conjecture.

07-29-11 09:47 PM
    The netbook s are making a comeback with thinner, lighter and flash drives. If lives for 6 to 8hours on battery, quick to boot and restart, keyboard, and so on then why bother using a tablet when you can have 90% of desktop functionality on a slightly less portable package?
    If you only consume data,browse and games then a tablet is the best portable option.

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk
    07-29-11 10:05 PM
    Mango us on feature parity with iOS for the most part... Its ahead because the user experience is superior and Microsoft has way better services and services integration in their is. Like Android, its a one stop shop. If not now, definitely once mango hits the phones.

/Shrugs... I sent my 9780 back to get this hd7 anddont regret it at all...

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express
    07-30-11 02:37 PM
    Mango us on feature parity with iOS for the most part... Its ahead because the user experience is superior and Microsoft has way better services and services integration in their is. Like Android, its a one stop shop. If not now, definitely once mango hits the phones.

/Shrugs... I sent my 9780 back to get this hd7 anddont regret it at all...

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express
    Apparently the typing experience/accuracy on WP7 is severely lacking though!
    07-30-11 03:03 PM
    I agree that form factor is a key. There are good keyboards out there, like the Pre and Moto Droid Pro. BB's are iconic for it though.

As far as tablets, we are experimenting with small Bluetooth keyboard and HDMI/vga adaptors on iPads with an RDP client. I have to say that my iPad connected to my Droid's wifi hot spot takes care of 85% of my needs. When I need to edit a presentation, spreadsheet, etc, then connecting to a full Windows desktop interface through RDP works great. If I really need real-estate I use the keyboard and adaptor to hit a big monitor. It runs fast and involves carrying few very light components. Way better than carrying my laptop. I am impressed so far, but it has to fit your job. An engineer might need the computing power all the time, but as an executive, it works great for me.

RIM really needs to make the wifi hotspot standard on every high end phone. It has really made my phone much more useful.
    07-30-11 05:20 PM
    Ah yes the future! Where we will grow even more lazy then we already are.

07-31-11 01:58 AM
    Ah yes the future! Where we will grow even more lazy then we already are.

I'd settle for the TV or cablebox to start....
    08-02-11 08:46 AM
    Pretty sad no matter how much you rationalize it.
    I know, these people are hilarious...

Statistically, Blackberry might be tied for last place since it's so close to call! RIM ain't doing so bad!
    08-02-11 10:38 PM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD