iPhone tops consumer survey
    Published: July 27, 2011 at 1:48 PM

LOS ANGELES, July 27 (UPI) -- A survey of U.S. consumers found the Apple iPhone is practically in its own category in terms of popularity compared with other smartphones.

For Apple fans -- and shareholders -- the numbers are stunning. The survey conducted by PriceGrabber.com found 35 percent of consumers indicated they had plans to buy the iPhone 5, which is expected to be released in the fall.

Forty-eight percent of respondents indicated they preferred the Apple operating system to other major competitors. In addition, "An astonishing 69 percent of consumers indicated that they would most like to receive Apple's iPhone 5," PriceGrabber said in a news release.

By comparison, 19 percent of respondents indicated they preferred the Android operating system, while 7 percent and 6 percent, respectively, indicated they preferred Microsoft Windows and RIM BlackBerry.

iPhone tops consumer survey - UPI.com
    07-27-11 01:40 PM
    Damn. Microsoft? Really?
    07-27-11 01:49 PM
    WP7 looks pretty good to be honest. I would take one over an Android any time of the day.
    07-27-11 01:55 PM
    wp7 has potential but its not there yet. its gonna take another year to develop to really see what it has to offer
    07-27-11 02:00 PM
    WP7 looks pretty good to be honest. I would take one over an Android any time of the day.
    I'd personally go to WebOS before going to Android or WP7. iPhone would be after WebOS. However I'm impressed by what I see with OS7 in the videos coming out, and using the Playbook, can't wait to see QNX on a phone.
    07-27-11 02:16 PM
    Ah this really sucks. Come on RIM! Lets get these OS7 phones out there!
    murnende likes this.
    07-27-11 02:23 PM
    Yeah, I'm not a Microsoft guy, but they've really done some neat stuff with Mango. Still surprised to see it top BB, however.
    Mango's a big step, but the OS still has a long way to go.

That's crazy that it came out ahead of BB though. I didn't expect that.
    07-27-11 02:43 PM
    MS is going to do awesome stuff in the future, when they link everything into one big windows "soup", waiting for windows 8 to control the touch screens in my house
    For my mobile needs I think I'll always stick to BB as long as it keeps doing exactly what I expect from my phone...communicate...
    07-27-11 02:51 PM
    In all fairness, a 1% difference likely falls into "too close to call" territory.
    07-27-11 02:52 PM
    I loved my Windows phones. I had been waiting for one of those Dell phones...Lightning I think...whatever became of those?
    07-27-11 03:05 PM
    Also have to consider that RIM has not put out a new phone this year yet and no one wants to buy the ones that are out.

Nothing new from them so.........
    07-27-11 03:05 PM
    The longer it takes RIM, the further they fall.

Rightfully or wrongfully, RIM is really getting bad word of mouth now. I know people who have no allegiance to any phone or tablet, but they badmouth BB's and the PB without even trying them. It starts from people who like to see someone on top take a beating, and it passes onto others who just like to pile on.

It's all up to RIM now to turn it around. No excuses... they have to wow people and soon.
    07-27-11 03:06 PM
    I can't believe we still don't have drop dates or any type of marketing campaign behind these handsets.

Disgusting.
    07-27-11 04:00 PM
    I AM a Windows guy and think that it is the form factor that is keeping me from owning one,

I am sure very soon they will have a good form factor with Nokia and I'll have a W7 phone

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-11 04:07 PM
    I loved my Windows phones. I had been waiting for one of those Dell phones...Lightning I think...whatever became of those?
    The streak? It's been out for awhile.
    07-27-11 04:17 PM
    I AM a Windows guy and think that it is the form factor that is keeping me from owning one,

I am sure very soon they will have a good form factor with Nokia and I'll have a W7 phone

Wait, so will you drop BB?
    07-27-11 04:22 PM
    Wait, so will you drop BB?
    Possibly
    I fought and fought getting given a BB and wanted to keep Windows phones,
    I do like my Blackberry as most people know, but IF a quality Windows phone came out, I'd be moving on it.
    I'll probably maintain a BES BlackBerry. Even if my primary phones left BB

07-27-11 04:28 PM

That's interesting. I am an Apple guy but the main thing keeping me from owning an iPhone is the form factor.
    07-27-11 04:33 PM
    Possibly
    I fought and fought getting given a BB and wanted to keep Windows phones,
    I do like my Blackberry as most people know, but IF a quality Windows phone came out, I'd be moving on it.
    I'll probably maintain a BES BlackBerry. Even if my primary phones left BB

That's intense.
    07-27-11 04:33 PM
    I have a windows phone and was involved in the windows phone 7 forum, I even won a prize. Here is my opinion, that the phone is typically aimed at the consumer any reference to enterprise is now moot even with the inclusion of the office apps, no side loading, no removable sd card, a system which needs a cloud connection to work (security issue), in essense this is ok as long as you can make a connection. Office docs etc, it seems, are not stored on the phone and cannot be accessed directly from phone to computor, a server account is required. as far as I'm aware the photos are not stored on the phone only thumbs or links it seems. The popularity in my opinion is about the xbox app so in affect it's a gaming device which can answer calls. I cannot use the phone because of the data protection act which renders it difficult for use in europe (cannot keep records in the cloud outside of the eu). Quite frankly I will be well pleased to change to BlackBerry. I think talking numbers is a bit difficult in this case as somebody said in another post, they are not the same device.
    07-27-11 04:43 PM
    Mango is going to be hot, couple that with the new Nokia devices ( to be released end of third quarter) I think you have a match made in heaven.
    07-27-11 04:50 PM
    The streak? It's been out for awhile.
    No I don't think so. There were about four phones announced a long time ago from Dell.'
    Lightning, Thunder, Smoke...something else. One was going to be a windows phone.
    07-27-11 04:52 PM
    No I don't think so. There were about four phones announced a long time ago from Dell.'
    Lightning, Thunder, Smoke...something else. One was going to be a windows phone.
    these are the beauties you refer too

Dell's Next Android Phones: Flash, Thunder, and Smoke

and yes they are great looking phones imo
    07-27-11 05:00 PM
    My first smart phone was a Windows Mobile phone and I'm actually impressed on what Windows Phone has to offer. They just need a little more polishing and I'm sure they will be a force to be reckoned with.
    07-27-11 05:41 PM
    That's interesting. I am an Apple guy but the main thing keeping me from owning an iPhone is the form factor.
    Form factor plays a big Roll

I've almost dropped Windows on My Desktop a few times for Linux, but I did really enjoy my Windows phones since the Audiovox Thera, It is sad that not RIM, nor Android, nor Apple in near 10 years has made as good of pocket office as Windows had in that Audiovox thera

IT will be hard to give up BBM but I really like Microsofts Calendar and Office
    07-27-11 05:48 PM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD