04-29-15 02:22 PM
    Well Microsoft has done it again before BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    04-29-15 02:22 PM
    And the fact that "Candy crush saga" was an iOS port all along, makes me trust Microsoft in their execution even more. Microsoft was already the 3rd ecosystem and these moves by them only help to solidify this.
    04-29-15 02:26 PM
    But still BlackBerry too need to pull something out of the box to retain its fanbase

Posted via CB10
    AndrewOrlowski likes this.
    04-29-15 02:28 PM
    Netflix wouldn't even take 2 hours to port their existing working Android app to bbw, so what makes you think they would have "reworked" their app instead?

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.500
    04-29-15 02:28 PM
    Apple won't but many other developers may

Posted via CB10
    04-29-15 02:29 PM
    But still BlackBerry too need to pull something out of the box to retain its fanbase

Posted via CB10
    All 1% of us!!!

Posted via CB10
    04-29-15 02:30 PM
    Not even 1 now

Posted via CB10
    04-29-15 02:31 PM
    Netflix wouldn't even take 2 hours to port their existing working Android app to bbw, so what makes you think they would have "reworked" their app instead?

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.500
    Microsoft has something BB didn't have and still doesn't: an ecosystem. The universal app idea is briliant: code once, run on all Windows devices. And lets not forget Windows dominates the desktop market.

People here on CB think only about phones because that's what BB does, but Microsoft thinks about all their versions of WIndows.
    dolco, twiggyrj, kbz1960 and 11 others like this.
    04-29-15 02:34 PM
    "coming soon" the new BB Windows 10 runtime. Let the waiting room waiting begin
    kbz1960, Z10NIZED, acovey and 2 others like this.
    04-29-15 02:35 PM
    Microsoft has something BB didn't have and still doesn't: an ecosystem. The universal app idea is briliant: code once, run on all Windows devices. And lets not forget Windows dominates the desktop market.

People here on CB think only about phones because that's what BB does, but Microsoft thinks about all their versions of WIndows.
    My point is that if BlackBerry had this functionality, it wouldn't make any difference. If developers didn't bother porting, they wouldn't bother reworking.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.500
    04-29-15 02:36 PM
    That's pretty much the truth but will developers put that effort will be a thing to watch

Posted via CB10
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    04-29-15 02:36 PM
    Man it just doesn't look good for BlackBerry as a hardware device company. And that really sucks.

I really wish they could turn it around and regain their former dominance in the mobility market but I just don't see anything coming from BlackBerry to help turn it around.

They need something big to make some waves and get some recognition. Then they need to do everything flawlessly. Then they need to have the best PR, the best post sale customer service. They need something to differentiate themselves from the old BlackBerry. And I just don't see what it could be? A slider? Nope. BBM stickers? Nope. The leap? Nope.

Via CB10, Passport 10.3.2.500
    LuisCast, techvisor and 1magine like this.
    04-29-15 02:43 PM
    My point is that if BlackBerry had this functionality, it wouldn't make any difference. If developers didn't bother porting, they wouldn't bother reworking.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.500
    I am not saying that it will surely work with developers. I just give it a higher change than what BB tried to do, due to the size of Microsoft's ecosystem.
    04-29-15 02:44 PM
    if all Windows 7 and 8 systems get a free upgrade to Windows 10, I expect the demand would be sufficient for most if not all major Devs
    LuvULongTime and flyingsolid like this.
    04-29-15 02:51 PM
    Without a link to anything, I'm unsure how Windows will run iOS apps? Unless they plan on getting pirated apps...
    04-29-15 02:53 PM
    Without a link to anything, I'm unsure how Windows will run iOS apps? Unless they plan on getting pirated apps...
    They don't run iOS apps like BB10 runs ANdroid apps. Developers transform their xcode project into a Visual Studio project and recompile from there with tools provided by Microsoft. They also told that "Candy crush Saga" on WP8 is actually an iOS port, and frankly nobody realised it until now as there is no lag or poor performance.
    04-29-15 03:00 PM
    Link please?
    04-29-15 03:00 PM
    04-29-15 03:04 PM
    Let's hope Chen's "new" strategy for tackling the app problem has an effect. This is a great move by Microsoft indeed.
    04-29-15 03:22 PM
    When I heard this, I thought that it was an opportunity for BlackBerry. I think that Windows is number 3 in the phone space, with a chance to move up with this move along with the universal code move they're implementing.

I'm not an expert in this field, but does anyone else see this as the beginning of the end of Google Play Services? If you put Google Play Services in your app, you limit yourself to only Google certified devices. You take that out and use an alternative and you're all of a sudden opening up your market to billions of devices. Doesn't seem like a tough choice for devs really. It'll be worth the extra work. All those former Google Play Services apps will be open to BlackBerry.

I read somewhere that Microsoft is going after Google and trying to essentially take over Android. This looks like a brilliant move in that direction. It also means that Android tablets become doorstops compared to Windows 10 tablets that can run pretty much everything out there.

I was leaning Windows (if I couldn't get another BlackBerry), but I have to say with recent moves like this, if BlackBerry stops making hardware, I will buy a Windows Phone if that sad day comes.
    dolco, Easy-G and Dirtymike14 like this.
    04-29-15 04:19 PM
    When I heard this, I thought that it was an opportunity for BlackBerry. I think that Windows is number 3 in the phone space, with a chance to move up with this move along with the universal code move they're implementing.

I'm not an expert in this field, but does anyone else see this as the beginning of the end of Google Play Services? If you put Google Play Services in your app, you limit yourself to only Google certified devices. You take that out and use an alternative and you're all of a sudden opening up your market to billions of devices. Doesn't seem like a tough choice for devs really. It'll be worth the extra work. All those former Google Play Services apps will be open to BlackBerry.

I read somewhere that Microsoft is going after Google and trying to essentially take over Android. This looks like a brilliant move in that direction. It also means that Android tablets become doorstops compared to Windows 10 tablets that can run pretty much everything out there.

I was leaning Windows (if I couldn't get another BlackBerry), but I have to say with recent moves like this, if BlackBerry stops making hardware, I will buy a Windows Phone if that sad day comes.
    I don't think this will even put a dent in Android market share. Its dominance is overwhelming.

Their implementation will undoubtedly be replete with oddities, incompatibilities, and other assorted difficulties as well.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.500
    04-29-15 04:27 PM
    I don't think this will even put a dent in Android market share. Its dominance is overwhelming.

Their implementation will undoubtedly be replete with oddities, incompatibilities, and other assorted difficulties as well.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.500
    We don't know yet. Microsoft has tons of resource and talent that BlackBerry can only dream of, even during BlackBerry's heyday. When threatened, Microsoft performs impressive feats of engineering instead of ignoring reality like BlackBerry back in the days.
    nick13b likes this.
    04-29-15 04:33 PM
    Microsoft Shows Off HoloLens, Windows 10 and New 'Edge' Browser at Build - NBC News.com

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/gadgets/...n350416‎

There's more. Just a slither of info, but this HoloLens integration is probably gonna kill it.

Looks like Microsoft had a similar idea. Let's see whether Chen's strategy aligns somehow. I guess in the long run, "write once, run everywhere" apps are unavoidable. Why waste resources. Even if the apps are recompiled or converted, still needs to be written once with minimal adjustments...

Let's hope for the best... :-)

�   Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....   �
    04-29-15 04:33 PM
    People just dont like windows os in general. Their small sales has nothing to do with apps.

I personally hated windows 8 when it came out. It was frustrating just to look for the controls panel and find files! So bad I went back to windows 7.

Posted via CB10
    acovey, BB_Junky and extisis like this.
    04-29-15 04:37 PM
133 123 ...