In a moment of weakness I decided to get a Windows 10 phone. The one OS I haven't used. To get it before it dies. Seems like it'll be supported with updates well into next year. It's an idol 4s, a BBMO sister in slab form. Comes with virtual reality goggles... and amazing specs. Probably give it to my son for Christmas so he can say he uses this OS back in the day.
    Just posted this to get the ball rolling...
    Attached Thumbnails Windows 10 phone . Just another dead OS?-14326.jpg  
    elfabio80 likes this.
    12-18-18 03:36 PM
    not feature updates. you'll get security updates. WinMo10 phones are dirt cheap so experience the tile based UI. Still a decent phone if you're fully into the MS ecosystem.
    pjh248, Byrese and PantherBlitz like this.
    12-18-18 03:42 PM
    Ball rolling?

I have a Surface Pro, and really looked forward to a Surface Phone... but the ecosystem just isn't there for Windows and the "apps" for mobile device.
    Byrese likes this.
    12-18-18 03:55 PM
    Windows phone fan here. Good for you! You should be fine for the next two years, as MS just announced last month that they'll be extending support through 2020. Most major apps still work so you'll be fine there too. Enjoy!
    PantherBlitz likes this.
    12-19-18 08:00 PM
    As mentioned above, the operating system is no longer receiving new features, which qualifies as almost dead. I would have just called it dead, had it not been for the monthly security updates.

And yes, I have a Nokia Lumia 1520 which I enjoy for its large, full HD screen. Oh yeah, and it has a headphone jack and microSD card slot. 😎 Oh, oh, and capacitive buttons! 😁
    12-19-18 08:44 PM
    Windows phone fan here. Good for you! You should be fine for the next two years, as MS just announced last month that they'll be extending support through 2020. Most major apps still work so you'll be fine there too. Enjoy!
    If you are talking about the basics in regards to "major apps" then chances are they will be fine. The problems is, everyone's usage/requirements differ so what you consider "major" may not be the same perception for others, and vice versa. That is why my three Windows Phones now sit in a drawer because the apps I now consider "major" no longer function/exist on the platform... we can get the basics from just about any device these days with live tiles not being a big enough of a draw (for me) to keep using.
    12-20-18 11:24 AM
    Should be fine if you require just basic functions. I'd however expect major developments continue on leaving the platform. So forget the actual experience and apps you get on other platforms.

Saying "I don't need any ABCD apps!" is OK. Than it's just the right brick for you.
    12-20-18 01:21 PM
    If you are talking about the basics in regards to "major apps" then chances are they will be fine. The problems is, everyone's usage/requirements differ so what you consider "major" may not be the same perception for others, and vice versa. That is why my three Windows Phones now sit in a drawer because the apps I now consider "major" no longer function/exist on the platform... we can get the basics from just about any device these days with live tiles not being a big enough of a draw (for me) to keep using.
    You should get those puppies a new home ASAP. Still some interest on ebay and swappa for those things.
    12-21-18 03:09 AM
    You should get those puppies a new home ASAP. Still some interest on ebay and swappa for those things.
    We've tried on more than one occasion turning out to be more effort than it's worth so will just keep them around to remind us of "what could've been". Besides, fun to pull them out every once in a while to toy with although the "fun" part lasts less and less each time.
    Byrese likes this.
    12-21-18 11:58 AM
    My father uses a Lumia running Windows OS. He loves the phone. Think he’s had it around 3 years now.
    Byrese likes this.
    12-23-18 12:44 PM