From CBC news. Small wireless carrier Wind Mobile is being put up for sale by its Dutch telecom owner VimpelCom.

Canaccord Genuity analyst Dvai Ghose says he's heard from several sources that VimpelCom has started the process to sell Wind Mobile, launched in December 2009.

A separate source familiar with the process also confirmed to The Canadian Press that Wind Mobile is being put up for sale.

Wind was part of a wave of new companies that have brought Canadians more competition in the wireless market.

Toronto-based Wind was sold in January under new foreign investment rules for telecom companies of its size.

Ghose's report says initial bids are due on Friday for Wind Mobile.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-13 06:03 PM
    I called this the day they opened up shop. Canada has always been about the big 3 (Telus, Rogers, Bell).

Every time a competitor comes in to Canada it is because the margins are so high here that they can undercut the market, steal subscribers, then sell out right back to the big 3 for a nice premium.

Fido
    Clearnet
    And many others went the same way.

Rest in peace fair competition. Consumers will continue to pay $100/mo+ for unlimited (but limited) plans as per usual.

Posted via CB10
    eddy_berry likes this.
    03-21-13 11:33 PM
    CTV reports that the original owners made a bid. It could all work out in the end, which would be great because I'm a customer.

Posted via CB10
    cjcampbell likes this.
    03-22-13 12:12 AM
    I would miss Wind. I've been with them for about 4 years, basically since they started and they were always great. If they get sold off I'll be a tad upset.

Unless whoever buys them keeps the same plans (doubtful) then I won't mind as much.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-13 12:58 AM
    I called this the day they opened up shop. Canada has always been about the big 3 (Telus, Rogers, Bell).

Every time a competitor comes in to Canada it is because the margins are so high here that they can undercut the market, steal subscribers, then sell out right back to the big 3 for a nice premium.

Fido
    Clearnet
    And many others went the same way.

Rest in peace fair competition. Consumers will continue to pay $100/mo+ for unlimited (but limited) plans as per usual.

Posted via CB10
    Not sure about Clearnet but Fido really tried to make a go of it and couldn't because the big 3 refused to sign roaming agreements with it. Government regulations introduced since then make that kind of anti-competitive behaviour impossible today.
    03-22-13 07:37 AM
    There has been no confirmation of this report other than the opinions of a single analyst. I know some people pretty high up in WIND who are shrugging their shoulders at this news. I'm not saying it's not true, WIND is obviously struggling, but there are a couple of factors not sitting well with me:

1. Due to statutes enacted after the AWS auction, the Big3 can't bid on any new entrants until the last annual quarter of 2014, that severely limits the potential bidders and would under value WIND's worth significantly;
    2. Vimplecom doesn't own Tony Lacervera's and Globalive's shares yet and won't until regulationary approval has taken place, probably not due until May, making a sale impossible until that's been cleared up.
    3. Orascom is in heavy debt and will have to raise it's funding through VC, that doesn't really solve anything and puts them in exactly the same boat that Mobilicity's in;
    4. WIND Mobile holds $1.7B in debt and has a book value of $750M.

If Vimplecom really does have WIND up for sale it seems like awfully poor timing to me.

This article was first published in the Globe and Mail and has been re-edited 6 times since and it's no longer clear what's going on. I can't stand single sourced journalism and this is a perfect example of it.
    03-22-13 10:18 AM
    There still hasn't been any confirmation of an impending or existing sale process but WIND's statement on the matter certainly doesn't help clear matters up, either:

"Hi everyone, there have been a lot of rumours and speculation in the media regarding business changes. Since our launch we have often been the target of this speculation, but we prefer to focus on the facts - and those are it's business as usual here at WIND and that isn't going to change. After the most successful quarter in our company's history, we are continuing to provide Canadians with a true wireless alternative that offers the value they deserve."
    03-22-13 08:25 PM