Sprint apparently hinted that they're killing WiMAX and adopting LTE. What does this mean for that WiMAX PlayBook coming this summer?

This is a BI article, so don't take it too seriously.

Sprint Could Be Ditching WiMax For LTE
    02-10-11 11:13 AM
    I think Engadget has an article from WSJ saying that Clearwire is going to focus more on their wholesale business to other providers like Sprint and Comcast instead of their retail business.

I wonder if Clearwire knows about Sprint possibly bailing to jump on LTE?
    02-10-11 11:23 AM
    It's been made clear for sometime that they retain the option of switching to LTE and have been doing field testing of LTE for a while. WiMax lost, it was a gamble but it will be around for a sometime to come. Sprint has no need for LTE until it becomes dominant in the market place, so i would not expect a changeover anytime soon.

Thou Clearwire's money troubles may change things in shorter order I see current WiMax devices being supported well for the near term. It will happen, it's just when.
    02-10-11 11:25 AM
    Clearwire has done testing of LTE in the 2.5 GHz spectrum and got over 90Mbps in the testing, which is way faster than anyone elses LTE. Reportedly the base stations used for WiMax can be software upgraded to support LTE since the technologies aren't too different from each other, and the Ericson Base stations that Sprint is replacing its old Nortel CDMA base stations with will be able to support CDMA, HSPA+ and LTE all via software modules. Their is also enough Spectrum in the Clearwire holdings to support multiple instances of full capability WiMax and LTE at the same time. That said though, Clearwire is in a hole financially and may be selling off spectrum to stay afloat. Sprint gave Clear it's half of the 2.5 GHz spectrum, so if Clear folds, Sprint is screwed.
    02-10-11 01:11 PM
    If they're gonna do it, better to make a move soon, and then the playing field becomes less clouded. LTE capability cross-nation would definitely be a smooth move.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-10-11 01:21 PM
    If they're gonna do it, better to make a move soon, and then the playing field becomes less clouded. LTE capability cross-nation would definitely be a smooth move.

That and the fact that Verizon has already bought a ton of the 800MHZ spectrum licenses. The sooner Sprint jumps on LTE the better for them.
    02-10-11 01:27 PM
    LOL sprint would be roaming on VZW's LTE network, same as CDMA. Frikin classic.

02-10-11 04:41 PM
    LOL sprint would be roaming on VZW's LTE network, same as CDMA. Frikin classic.

So? That's not necessarily a bad thing.

It's a win-win situation

Verizon gets roaming revenue from Sprint

Sprint customers get extended coverage
    02-10-11 07:46 PM
    But again, what about the WiMAX PlayBook?
    02-11-11 12:21 AM
    But again, what about the WiMAX PlayBook?
    I personally wouldn't invest in it. Just get the WiFi and use the tethering feature with a Blackberry (maybe they'll have a WiMax capable one. Anyway I doubt that Sprint would kill the WiMax network, they would probably run both LTE and WiMax for some time, since they have the spectrum to do it, to do a transition.
    02-11-11 06:44 AM
    WiMAX/CDMA is the same thing to me.

02-11-11 09:36 AM
    Yeah... they're both dying...

CASH likes this.
    02-11-11 12:20 PM

and that is what one calls an epic fail
    02-11-11 01:45 PM
    Yep CDMA sucks so bad that 3G GSM is CDMA based (W-CDMA) and so is HSPA. Glad you guys using 3G GSM are finally getting decent data rates that I've been enjoying for years at EVDO
    02-11-11 01:58 PM
    Yep CDMA sucks so bad that 3G GSM is CDMA based (W-CDMA) and so is HSPA. Glad you guys using 3G GSM are finally getting decent data rates that I've been enjoying for years at EVDO
    Alas they don't get download speeds that stay consistent even when you have low reception.
    02-11-11 05:10 PM
    Sprint apparently hinted that they're killing WiMAX and adopting LTE. What does this mean for that WiMAX PlayBook coming this summer?

This is a BI article, so don't take it too seriously.
    From what I have heard, Sprint is wanting to use both WiMAX and LTE. So I don't think it will effect WiMAX Playbook.
    02-11-11 10:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD