The Q10 screen is only marginally bigger than a 9900 screen so from a practical point of a view the 9900 is an easier device to use. They could have kept the trackpad and made the device slightly longer and everyone would have been happy . I am not a big cut and paste person myself but I do use the trackpad to select fields ... like "submit". If they make a 3.5 inch Q15 I would be happy to go with out a trackpad. It is not the lack of a trackpad that prevents me from purchasing the Q10. It is the small screen.
    08-16-13 09:13 PM
    Laughable metaphor?!
    The trackpad is gone correct? And how do we get around the Q? We use peek and flow by using our what? Come on say it with me 'finger'.

I am a heavy text manipulator. And again I have no issue with text selection/copy paste. BUT to each their own.
    I missed the track pad for maybe the first few days after that it was a distant memory.
    I have both the Q and the 9900 and still use the Q 90% of the time the 9900 has become a media player for me.
    But before we get off track ( insert handshake) we just have a differing of opinions.

Btw, I didn't make the finger the track pad, BlackBerry did when they did away with it

Posted via CB10
    I can see what you're saying, but i feel the comparison would be taking away someone's gun and handing them a baton, and telling them it's just as effective.
    Batons have their strengths, but then so do guns, and they are not equally effective, if someone told you they were you'd likely think they were daft.

The finger on the q makes selection very difficult.
    If you want to select say two words in the middle of a sentence, it definitely does take longer than with a trackpad.

In remember, you tap near the end of an entry, accidentally hit the x, and delete an entire entry.

When your finger is on the screen, you can't see what's under your finger, in contrast to a trackpad.

For fine selection on this tiny screen, particularly using the browser due to a severe lack of apps, you need some form of v fine selection. Fingers don't provide that unless you also use pinch to zoom, with two hands, defeating the one handed flow.

In cold weather, gloves work on trackpads, not touchscreens.

The finger simply does not replace all the functionality of a trackpad. LG thought outside the box and put controls on the back of a phone, why didn't BlackBerry innovate instead of offering what everyone else offered for years and selling it as 'the future'?

Of course people will adapt. I did. I simply send shorter emails from my q than i used to from my 9900. Saves me time of frustrating text editing.
    The next step is adapting to a touchscreen keyboard, which is fine if you, again, use shorter messages until you get to a laptop. I did that when I moved to android, though i still missed the no compromises attitude on efficiency of BlackBerry os.

The next step is adapting to a new os.
    You don't build strength by dropping what differentiated your brand as efficient. Dropping the trackpad was a daft move, one of many awful design decisions on the q, and i hope someone is getting told off big time for it.

Posted via CB10
    imz likes this.
    08-17-13 08:48 AM
    I can live without the trackpad but the lack of proper text reflow on the browser is a deal breaker for me. The new browser is faster on the Q but not as effective after a double tap than on my 9900. Next phone I buy has to have text reflow.
    08-17-13 09:51 AM
    I can live without the trackpad but the lack of proper text reflow on the browser is a deal breaker for me. The new browser is faster on the Q but not as effective after a double tap than on my 9900. Next phone I buy has to have text reflow.
    It's off topic but I agree 100%.
    It's a huge miss on the browser.
    On the plus side, it can't be that hard to add in since every other OS and browser has it. Right?
    08-17-13 11:06 AM
    We don't need the trackpad anymore, with BB10.
    After a couple of days after switching from my 9900 to the Z10, I'd forgotten all about it.
    08-17-13 11:35 AM
    We don't need the trackpad anymore, with BB10.
    After a couple of days after switching from my 9900 to the Z10, I'd forgotten all about it.
    And people will say the same about physical keyboards.
    Yet devices like the q still fly off the shelves, compared to the z.
    I'm quite confident there's a huge group of people who would go for a trackpad over non trackpad every day of the week.
    Specially if it was on the back and didn't take up screen space.
    There just isn't an equivalent option yet.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-13 02:43 PM
    It's off topic but I agree 100%.
    It's a huge miss on the browser.
    On the plus side, it can't be that hard to add in since every other OS and browser has it. Right?
    Many Android phones have Text Reflow and the 9900 is better than than the Q10 . This problem mainly affects blogs where even after a double tap the font is too small to read. Iphone is a hold out as well because they think we can all read tiny fonts on their retina screens.

To get back on topic sort of: I have used a browser that had a built in cursor option that worked really well ... move the cursor then tap the screen.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 08-17-13 at 04:39 PM.
    08-17-13 04:10 PM
    And people will say the same about physical keyboards.
    Yet devices like the q still fly off the shelves, compared to the z.
    I'm quite confident there's a huge group of people who would go for a trackpad over non trackpad every day of the week.
    Specially if it was on the back and didn't take up screen space.
    There just isn't an equivalent option yet.

Posted via CB10
    That's what I get for posting after working 25 hours straight...
    You're correct. I should have said that "I don't feel the need for a track pad any longer".
    08-18-13 09:13 AM
    It's on the new BlackBerry 9720

Posted via CB10
    08-18-13 12:39 PM
    PlayBook and Z10 were my first BlackBerry devices so sorry for being ignorant but what is the advantage of a track pad?

Do you want it for OS navigation or just for moving the cursor position in text?

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 03:58 PM
    I always liked my track pad especially on my old 9900. You got such precision

Posted via CB10
    neoberry99 and ToY9CiTo like this.
    08-21-13 05:19 AM
    Can we have a sticky on the forum how many would prefer the next qwerty device to be a bit taller and have trackpad and maybe send / end / back keys instead of blk back key which takes up alot of spaceon smaller q10 screens
    09-25-13 06:22 PM
    A keyboarded phone without a trackpad or summat similar is torn between style and functionality, without really achieving either.
    Great statement.

You might have guessed it, I'm one of those "dirty little people" with money, who won't buy it, unless it has a trackpad.

Worst case scenario, some day I might have to buy a replacement 9900 on eBay. You can still find new 9700s on eBay, so I think the 9900 should be available for some longer time too.
    neoberry99 likes this.
    09-25-13 07:34 PM
    Great statement.

You might have guessed it, I'm one of those "dirty little people" with money, who won't buy it, unless it has a trackpad.

Worst case scenario, some day I might have to buy a replacement 9900 on eBay. You can still find new 9700s on eBay, so I think the 9900 should be available for some longer time too.
    To be honest like many here im a big bbb lover and i sold my stock thankfully b4 ittanked but still still love the bb experirnce over android or ios but no trackpad or backkey fora smaLcd qwerty device device just kills me..
    If it wasnt for all the hourglass and reboots of the 9900 I would def go back. Also the tether hack for 4G tethering FREE also pulls me back otherwise 9900 is better in so many ways shortcuts etc.
    09-25-13 07:48 PM
    ...fora smaLcd...
    Yup. I love my physical keyboard and trackpad.
    09-25-13 07:55 PM
40 12