I'm wondering if the track pad will come back on any of the future BB devices post Z30? Did Heins say anywhere that is its not coming back 100%?Using the Q10 without the track pad is very frustrating.
    08-15-13 03:14 PM
    Hi!
    I'm sure the track pad will never come back. The wave of the future is glass keyboards. In fact, the Q will probably be the last of its type as well. Look around...all the phones available today have virtual keyboards. Why would the track pad make a come back, when the Q with a full keyboard is probably not going to sell exceedingly well either?

I just don't see it.
    08-15-13 03:22 PM
    He didn't say it anywhere, but I really doubt it. BB10 is a gesture based OS and a trackpad would conflict with the gesture based OS.

If editing goes a little rough, you could use the app called "Trackpad Editor" in BBW, heard it's really nice to use.
    08-15-13 03:23 PM
    A virtual track pad might be neat.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-13 03:25 PM
    Agreed. I had an idea which would be great for the Q10 or future keyboard models. They should take the letters TY and the GH below which form a square and create a virtual track packpad using those keys. It would be enabled using a convienience key so it doesn't interfere with typing. That would make the Q10 an awesome device.

Posted via CB10
    jegs2 likes this.
    08-15-13 03:31 PM

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. I had an idea which would be great for the Q10 or future keyboard models. They should take the letters TY and the GH below which form a square and create a virtual track packpad using those keys. It would be enabled using a convienience key so it doesn't interfere with typing. That would make the Q10 an awesome device.
    I've always been a proponent of an idea for virtual keyboards to have a pop-up virtual track pad that would overlay the space bar when activated.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    08-15-13 03:35 PM
    I'm an ex-legacy user and I thought I might find it a hard adjustment moving away from the trackpad altogether but I didn't miss it the moment I fired up the Q10... I find browsing the Internet miles better with the touchscreen than I do with the trackpad...yes there is a bit of trial and error when it comes to point/copy/paste but not so much that I wanna throw my phone out the window...all in all I welcome the current format and will always look back on my Bold 9780 with very fond memories of course...also if there was a trackpad on this phone then there would be no point to the touchscreen and as someone said it would render the gestures feature pointless

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Q10
    08-15-13 03:43 PM
    An optional virtual trackpad would be cool for all those trackpad diehards.
    Rafski likes this.
    08-15-13 03:45 PM
    If BlackBerry take feedback, or if they get someone in upper management who knows their target market, the trackpad will be back.
    One can always hope.
    A keyboarded phone without a trackpad or summat similar is torn between style and functionality, without really achieving either.
    Rafski, fitz2013 and 1TIME like this.
    08-15-13 04:28 PM
    I'm wondering if the track pad will come back on any of the future BB devices post Z30? Did Heins say anywhere that is its not coming back 100%?Using the Q10 without the track pad is very frustrating.
    Nope.... no more track-pad, track-ball or track-wheel. or buttons other than qwerty.
    08-15-13 04:34 PM
    If Thor and the board weren't completely clueless as to what were BlackBerrys strengths and weaknesses the trackpad would have never been removed in the first place.

"Man this trackpad and physical keyboard make me hate my bb" -said noone ever

Clock of death, battery pull, browser, camera and screens on the other hand..

Posted via CB10
    1TIME and 3Dee like this.
    08-15-13 04:34 PM
    Grab a couple 9900's when you have the chance before they are all gone
    08-15-13 05:04 PM
    An optional virtual trackpad would be cool for all those trackpad diehards.
    I must admit I thought that was a good idea when I came across that app.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Q10
    08-15-13 05:14 PM
    There is an app for a virtual keyboard for the q10?
    08-15-13 05:38 PM
    Swiftkey has an option to display cursor keys at the bottom of the keyboard as shown below. Personally I don't use it though because cursor control using touch I find quite usable.

08-15-13 10:20 PM
    I wish there was a way I could get this keyboard for my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-13 07:47 AM
    The "new" 9720 has a trackpad
    08-16-13 07:49 AM
    I doubt that it will ever come back and personally I don't miss it.
    ShazPrimus likes this.
    08-16-13 09:33 AM
    There is nothing wrong with making a trackpad phone with nav keys. It might be hard to fathom for many here but not everyone is sold on touchscreen phones. People who want to get work done and not fart around with a glitzy toy interface couldn't care less about touchscreens. In my case I still prefer the trackpad & nav keys on a smartphone and only find a touchscreen interface suitable on a tablet. The small screen of a a smartphone makes a touch interface too clunky and inefficient.

08-16-13 02:23 PM
    I'd welcome back any of those iterations; track pad, track ball, click wheel. More suited for this all touch theme would be a new version of SurePress. Especially now with the much improved hardware and software.
    08-16-13 02:33 PM
    Years ago I had an instructed who always told city council when asked "why don't the officers guns come with a safety switch".

He would always reply "their finger is the safety".

So in honor of said instructor " your finger is your track pad".

Posted via CB10
    08-16-13 03:11 PM
    Years ago I had an instructed who always told city council when asked "why don't the officers guns come with a safety switch".

He would always reply "their finger is the safety".

So in honor of said instructor " your finger is your track pad".

Posted via CB10
    That makes no sense at all.
    That's like saying 'your finger is the gun'
    Fingers, for all their good points, are no good for fine selection or text editing, or as long range weapons.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-13 03:22 PM
    That makes no sense at all.
    That's like saying 'your finger is the gun'
    Fingers, for all their good points, are no good for fine selection or text editing, or as long range weapons.

Posted via CB10
    You must have fat fingers, or frustrate easily. With all the buit in tools for editing and text selection for me it's a breeze.

As far as the finger being the safety you apparently have no experience and training in weaponry.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-13 03:34 PM
    You must have fat fingers, or frustrate easily. With all the buit in tools for editing and text selection for me it's a breeze.

As far as the finger being the safety you apparently have no experience and training in weaponry.

Posted via CB10
    Thank you for your incorrect assumptions.

All the built in tools for text selection still don't bring it close to a trackpad and that's a guarantee for heavy text manipulators.

I agree with your instructor re the finger being the safety.
    Your extrapolation of that to suggest the finger is a trackpad is what i find to be incorrect and a laughable metaphor.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-13 04:25 PM
    Thank you for your incorrect assumptions.

All the built in tools for text selection still don't bring it close to a trackpad and that's a guarantee for heavy text manipulators.

I agree with your instructor re the finger being the safety.
    Your extrapolation of that to suggest the finger is a trackpad is what i find to be incorrect and a laughable metaphor.

Posted via CB10

Laughable metaphor?!
    The trackpad is gone correct? And how do we get around the Q? We use peek and flow by using our what? Come on say it with me 'finger'.

I am a heavy text manipulator. And again I have no issue with text selection/copy paste. BUT to each their own.
    I missed the track pad for maybe the first few days after that it was a distant memory.
    I have both the Q and the 9900 and still use the Q 90% of the time the 9900 has become a media player for me.
    But before we get off track ( insert handshake) we just have a differing of opinions.

Btw, I didn't make the finger the track pad, BlackBerry did when they did away with it

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by 93Aero; 08-16-13 at 09:28 PM.
    08-16-13 04:44 PM
40 12