We did. Easier, and far more useful, to carry a spare 9900 than lugging around a large enough battpack and dealing with wires or appendages.
    Dongle me, says the new MacBook Pro... :-D

�   "BB10 dead?" - "Let's dance the Danse MacaBBRY! ... or is it..?" ;-D   �
    idssteve likes this.
    11-09-16 02:40 AM
    Was the priv a threat?

Posted via CB10

"Treat", not "threat".

"an event or item that is out of the ordinary and gives great pleasure"

As in, I'd be happy just to see mercury released so that I may one day (up?)grade my wives classic. And that being irrespective of it having, or having not a removable battery.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-16 03:39 AM
    I don't think that a removable battery will be a big thing again.
    Why?

Here some reasons:

1.) cheaper to built in for companies.

2.) you get about 30% more power in the same built size, because of the missing housing for the battery.

3.) latest generation of Lithium Ion batteries mostly live longer than you have the device. Or before you replace it.

and

4.) powerbanks replace a second or third spare battery.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-16 04:49 AM
    Why?

Here some reasons:

2.) you get about 30% more power in the same built size, because of the missing housing for the battery.

3.) latest generation of Lithium Ion batteries mostly live longer than you have the device. Or before you replace it.

and

Posted via CB10
    Allow me to add 5) rapid charching and even 6) wireless charging (not having to wallhug if you have enough charging units at home/ work.

2 cents added!
    Slash82 likes this.
    11-09-16 08:52 AM
    Why?

Here some reasons:

and

Posted via CB10
    Actually, BB themselves claimed 15% capacity gains with embedded batt configuration. I asked this question at the "Insider Event" a couple years ago... See the link, if it works...

Experts Answer 38 of Your Burning Questions About BlackBerry Classic | Inside BlackBerry Help Blog

Embedded batteries NEED to be sized for a worst case day, simply because they can't be swapped out when drained, during a hard day. That means you're packing unnecessary bulk on lighter use days.

Ergonomically compact 9900 owes much of its comfort to its compact battery. Sized for a light use day. It works because the the batt can be swapped mid day during a hard day. No need for rapid charging since the battery can take its time charging in a spare battery charger, freeing the handset from wall hugging as a silly battery charger. True wireless freedom!! OR, it can be readily swapped out with a larger battery, as needed. I frequently swap in a 5000mAh swappable battery that powers my 9900 for 3-5 DAYS! That extended batt adds thick to the 99's otherwise compact form so i avail myself of the compact JM1 when ever possible, during lighter days. Interestingly, i find the extended battery's shelf on the back to aid grasp and feel i actually type better on the 9900's pkb because of it.

Anyone who thinks their 9900 needs a bigger battery simply needs to get a bigger battery! lol. And then revert back to compact battery when the bulk isn't needed. Take a look:

Will we ever see 'Removable Battery' Phones again? (BB)-new-old-batts.jpg

External batt packs large enough to keep my Classic in service for 3-5 days are ridiculously large while adding uncomfortably distracting appendages to the handset's bottom. OR adding an even more distracting wire to my "wireless" handset. Uhg. My clients rightly expect un-distracted attention, for example.

On lighter use days, my Classic might only be down to 50% by day's end. Which means i've lugged around, and subjected my fatigued hand to, twice the battery bulk needed for THAT day.

I do agree, tho, that producers will not likely provide swappable batteries except as justified by competitive niche. The same users who prefer PKB might also prefer swappable batts. ???
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    11-09-16 11:00 AM
    Actually, BB themselves claimed 15% capacity gains with embedded batt configuration.

I got that 30% from Samsung, when they switched from the removable battery to the fixed one on Galaxy models.

But sure somewhere between there it will be.

And I personally wouldn't mind having a replaceable battery and a thicker device.
    But tell that their designers.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Slash82; 11-09-16 at 04:11 PM.
    11-09-16 03:54 PM
    Allow me to add 5) rapid charching and even 6) wireless charging (not having to wallhug if you have enough charging units at home/ work.

2 cents added!
    Oh yeah!
    That's true!

Posted via CB10
    11-09-16 04:09 PM
    I have a feeling that there is a few companies out there looking at the $ 5 billion this will cost Samsung and thinking. Is the risk to high to go on with built in batteries.
    Will remove able save this?

Posted via CB10
    11-09-16 06:05 PM
    I have a feeling that there is a few companies out there looking at the $ 5 billion this will cost Samsung and thinking. Is the risk to high to go on with built in batteries.
    Will remove able save this?

Posted via CB10
    What would that change? The issue is likely not with the battery itself.
    11-09-16 10:06 PM
    I use a device with removable battery now?
    LG G5

Removable batteries still hold an advantage that noone here has convinced me otherwise.

All the powerbanks in the world can not make a difference if the battery becomes dodgy and discharges stupidly fast
    Bbnivende likes this.
    11-10-16 05:21 AM
    What would that change? The issue is likely not with the battery itself.
    If the problem is in the handset circuitry, physically removing the battery most effectively removes the source from the fault. Fire prevented.

Even tho typical handset voltages are far below NEC 50V threshold, lack of physical fire prevention disconnect constitutes engineering malpractice, imo.
    11-10-16 06:34 AM
    If the problem is in the handset circuitry, physically removing the battery most effectively removes the source from the fault. Fire prevented.

Even tho typical handset voltages are far below NEC 50V threshold, lack of physical fire prevention disconnect constitutes engineering malpractice, imo.
    Or turn the phone off.
    11-10-16 07:31 AM
    with talk about all the removable battery, why not carry one of those? Tzumi PocketJuice Endurance 12000 mAh Portable Charger Black 4533BB-3 - Best Buy
    cheap and doing the same thing (if not more powerful).
    11-10-16 08:02 AM
    Or turn the phone off.
    Haha... Get a code inspector to pass a "soft off"... Lol.

Only physical dry contact disconnect safely separates "source from short" in some real world environments.

No worries, you're under 50V. "Virtual rules" apply. Lol. Won't matter how many fires get started... Until it matters...
    11-10-16 09:07 AM
    For me, it takes a lot more time to turn off a phone than to yank out a removable battery. In fact, easiest way to fix some phone weirdness is to yank out the battery and put it back in.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport SE
    11-10-16 10:54 PM
    Moto Z back mounted BattPack option looks interesting. Maybe best of swappable and battpack concepts, imo. Too bad too wide & too tall but I NEVER asked for the silly "thin obsession". Lol.
    11-11-16 08:37 AM
    Does no one have a car charger and plugs their phone in while they're driving home from work for instance? It's pretty simple and doesn't tie you down at all. Most phones last through the day anyways. This is a non-issue for 99% of the population.
    They do now, but this wouldn't have happened if phones lasted longer or had replaceable batteries.

I'm one of those who place a premium on battery life first, then removeavle batteries. I've never had to get a spare charger. I only got one for the car recently because it was a freebie with another purchase.

I would also dispute the assertion that most phones last ok for most people. Every day I see people with their phones tied to their charger at work, I see people with super slim phones and a cable running to their secondary pack in their pocket or bags, many places I go offer charging stations for people. Why is that?

Also the best charging in the world doesn't work when there's a power outage (or when everyone else has hogged the chargers first). Replaceable battery? I just pop in another one.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    11-11-16 11:21 AM
    Consumerism is predicated on planned obsolescence of all products.

I understand the quest for ever thinner phones, a more streamlined look and all that jazz, but to be honest, it's getting more and more difficult to type on these thinner phones that I cannot last a few sentences without feeling uncomfortable.
    Unfortunately a lot of that is "our" fault. "We" don't/didn't buy phones based on battery life, do we?
    Many years back when Nokia was still in the game, I had a chance to talk to some of their engineers. He described how they built, tested and tortured their phones. They designed them to last for years But then they did some studies and realized the consumers didn't care as they typically replaced their phones on average at just over a year to 18 months or something like that, regardless of whether the phone was broken.

I've been lucky to have the chance to be involved in the design of hand-held, battery powered devices. There are reasons to go with a built-in battery. You can make them "odd" shapes to maximize the volume of the battery, the rest of the design can have more flexibility to place components as they need. Not having the battery casing itself also helps a bit. And then let's not forget the fake battery issues a while back that caused exploding phones.

In my mind, the Blackberry Q10 and Z10 are not exactly thick devices and do not pose any problems with portability so I would be prepared to live with a slightly thicker device to have a serviceable phone with replaceable batteries (gosh, the headaches that the Passport SE is giving me right now due to the non-replaceable battery!).
    People are weird I tell ya'....they seem to be always chasing the slimmest phone ... but then they also want these gargantuan phablet type devices that make it less pocketable.
    11-11-16 11:56 AM
    They do now, but this wouldn't have happened if phones lasted longer or had replaceable batteries.

I'm one of those who place a premium on battery life first, then removeavle batteries. I've never had to get a spare charger. I only got one for the car recently because it was a freebie with another purchase.

I would also dispute the assertion that most phones last ok for most people. Every day I see people with their phones tied to their charger at work, I see people with super slim phones and a cable running to their secondary pack in their pocket or bags, many places I go offer charging stations for people. Why is that?

Also the best charging in the world doesn't work when there's a power outage (or when everyone else has hogged the chargers first). Replaceable battery? I just pop in another one.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Those people you see tethered to an outlet are watching movies, playing hours of games, etc. Also, i have had a car charger for years. They are not new. Removable batteries are one of two ways to have juice all day and certainly works well for some. I have nothing against them, in fact, my Limits 950 has one. I just don't think they're necessary, at least for most people.
    11-11-16 12:52 PM
    I miss the removable battery as well. Mostly because I have 4 batteries usually as spares to quickly have full power versus needing to be sure to charge at home, office and car.

 BlackBerry Passport SQW100-3/10.3.2.2876 AT&T
    11-11-16 12:57 PM
    I miss the removable battery as well. Mostly because I have 4 batteries usually as spares to quickly have full power versus needing to be sure to charge at home, office and car.

Let me get this straight.

You find it more convenient to charge 4 individual batteries, then to keep the phone plugged in when needed?

- plugging in the phone at home before you go to sleep is a hassle?

- plugging your phone at the office is a hassle?

- you're sitting in the car, driving around, and you find it a hassle to plug your phone in?

I really can't think of any situation where charging and managing 4 batteries is a better solution for, well, anything. Personally, I'm too busy to deal with that.
    Last edited by cribble2k; 11-12-16 at 04:52 AM.
    TgeekB and DrBoomBotz like this.
    11-12-16 04:41 AM

You find it more convenient to charge 4 individual batteries, then to keep the phone plugged in when needed?

- you're sitting in the car, driving around, and you find it a hassle to plug your phone in?

I really can't think of any situation where charging and managing 4 batteries is a better solution for, well, anything. Personally, I'm too busy to deal with that.
    Yes, I preferred my Z10 to have spare batteries as I don't stay in home, office or car enough to keep charged. I'm out experiencing the world.

My AT&T BlackBerry Passport has wireless charging which is convenient yet I still carry a portable charger for the times I'm not stationary.

Not sure why my strategy bothers you or invites you to question my way versus yours. I was making a statement. I do prefer removable batteries.

11-12-16 10:26 AM

Having a pack of batteries charged and ready at "home base" is much easier.
    Don't forget this is a mobile device. Of course at night when I'm sleeping, I will charge the phone. But if I forget? Well, it's a couple of minutes to swap a battery in the morning and I'm off, no need to worry about waiting for a charge.

But during the day when I'm on the go?
    Plugging the phone in the office is a hassle because the phone is now tied to the desk, along with me. Misses the point of being a mobile device. In fact, at the last company I worked at (huge global firm that everyone would know), they started moving everyone to mobile instead of land-lines because it was cheaper and more convenient. Even though there are many "desk" workers, they're often not at their desk. With the mobile, there was no longer need to page someone or walk around looking for them. Since I have a replaceable battery it means I can pop in a new battery and be on the move while the depleted one is charging at my desk.

Sitting in a car? Well for starters, not everyone sits in a car all day! In many parts of the world, public transit is quite normal and you can't expect to plug in and charge on the bus! For myself, even when I am commuting by car, it is no more than 30min, so not a lot of charge time.

The fact that there are charging stations available, car chargers, external power packs ... this all points to the fact that people need more power than the internal batteries can deliver. If I have a replaceable battery, it gives me one more option that is not available to the built-in battery. And at what cost? A slightly slimmer phone? I'll take that tradeoff any day. I'm not against internal batteries if they buy me something substantial, but they do not right now.

Take a look at professional photographers. Do any of their cameras use a built-in battery? Or replaceable one? There's a reason, when you're on the go and you need power, you want it now, not to have to wait around by a wall.
    syclone1978 and anon(9721108) like this.
    11-12-16 03:27 PM
    Well considering than samsung is reliying on LG to make its batteries and LG makes removable batteries for its flagship phones so, there May be a slight chance to see removable batteries on th S8, a very little one, but one at least, considering than the S5 had a removable one and also was waterproof it isn't out of the posibilities to see a S8 with removable battery, Just a suposition thought, before everyone here start bashing as everyone usually does here

Posted via CB10
    11-12-16 04:01 PM
    For myself, even when I am commuting by car, it is no more than 30min, so not a lot of charge time.
    Well, with QC3, 30 minutes will charge you from 30% to 75%.

I just don't buy it that someone can't find 10-30 minutes throughout the entire day where the phone can't be plugged in.
    Last edited by conite; 11-12-16 at 09:58 PM.
    11-12-16 04:46 PM
113 12345