Was at Walmart today & saw an entire bin full of those portable rechargeable battery packs you connect to a phone, mostly for iPhones and I thought yeah this thread is pretty much on the mark. Everything is sealed nowadays.

But for those of you with sealed batteries, you can always go to an electronics place like I did for my iPhone 5c and get a new battery installed. It cost 50 bucks and it's really not as hard as you might think. I probably could've done it myself after watching some YouTube videos for it . Two screws to loosen lift the screen with a suction cup, couple more screws pry the battery that's glued in loose, swap the battery put the screws in screen back in and that's it. It's a 15/20 minute job.

But when I saw that bin of powerpacks I had to kind a laugh and think I have three batteries for my 9900 and that makes it so much more easy to just carry a spare battery and keep a car charger in your vehicle and you'll be all right either way.
    01-03-17 11:46 PM
    Was at Walmart today & saw an entire bin full of those portable rechargeable battery packs you connect to a phone, mostly for iPhones and I thought yeah this thread is pretty much on the mark. Everything is sealed nowadays.

But for those of you with sealed batteries, you can always go to an electronics place like I did for my iPhone 5c and get a new battery installed. It cost 50 bucks and it's really not as hard as you might think. I probably could've done it myself after watching some YouTube videos for it . Two screws to loosen lift the screen with a suction cup, couple more screws pry the battery that's glued in loose, swap the battery put the screws in screen back in and that's it. It's a 15/20 minute job.

But when I saw that bin of powerpacks I had to kind a laugh and think I have three batteries for my 9900 and that makes it so much more easy to just carry a spare battery and keep a car charger in your vehicle and you'll be all right either way.
    Assuming you can find a replacement, although perennially popular phones (especially iPhones) always have a glut of spares available.
    01-03-17 11:52 PM
    Assuming you can find a replacement, although perennially popular phones (especially iPhones) always have a glut of spares available.
    Ah ya I never thought of that. Has anyone checked EBay/Amazon for spare Blackberry batteries for sealed models?

Might be interesting.
    01-03-17 11:55 PM
    Ah ya I never thought of that. Has anyone checked EBay/Amazon for spare Blackberry batteries for sealed models?

Might be interesting.
    The more popular models (Passport, Classic, Priv) have them available on eBay/Amazon/other sellers, or just buy a for-parts device.

Not every device has how-to videos on teardowns, though.
    01-04-17 12:11 AM

Hence the trip to the independent electronics repair shop once you get your battery.

The good ones do it while you wait.
    01-04-17 12:33 AM
    The more popular models (Passport, Classic, Priv) have them available on eBay/Amazon/other sellers, or just buy a for-parts device.

If you can even trust you are getting an original/trusted battery.
    01-04-17 09:46 AM
    If you can even trust you are getting an original/trusted battery.
    I don't think anyone cares too much about the latest BB phones to make a fake battery.
    01-04-17 11:06 AM
    I don't think anyone cares too much about the latest BB phones to make a fake battery.
    Well, that could be true.
    01-04-17 11:08 AM
    Fabbing up custom envelope cells really isn't that big of deal. Liability KYA keeps our fabbed batts strictly in house for my company, tho. Flying with, or shipping, our fabbed up batts is STRICTLY prohibited by policy. If we ever do fab any for Classic or PP, we plan to permanently burn cautions into the back. Just so the handsets never get sold or used unsuspectedly. Ones we've fabbed for 9900 are also CLEARLY labeled but easily identified as non-oem. KYA, ya kno. No telling who might have put what into an embedded batt handset, tho.
    xandros9 likes this.
    01-04-17 12:23 PM
    Not to mention in Canada we have places like "Battery Boys" and they can custom make or fabricate any battery for any cell phone device, new or old. You might pay more like 75 bucks or hundred bucks for a Battery who knows but at least you can keep your old BlackBerry running as long as our 9900s if you truly wanted to...
    01-04-17 12:43 PM
    Fabbing up custom envelope cells really isn't that big of deal. Liability KYA keeps our fabbed batts strictly in house for my company, tho. Flying with, or shipping, our fabbed up batts is STRICTLY prohibited by policy. If we ever do fab any for Classic or PP, we plan to permanently burn cautions into the back. Just so the handsets never get sold or used unsuspectedly. Ones we've fabbed for 9900 are also CLEARLY labeled but easily identified as non-oem. KYA, ya kno. No telling who might have put what into an embedded batt handset, tho.
    That's good to know. Thanks for the info.
    You hear so many horror stories about batteries that you want to be cautious.
    01-04-17 12:48 PM
    Simple batt swap gets my 99 from 0% to 100% in 2 minutes, 40 seconds, including reboot. No appendages or wires. No tying up my device just to charge a silly battery. Battery can charge at a slower rate in a spare batt charger because I'm free to carry and use my device while spare battery charges on desk.

We've been thru this too many times. To answer OP, the biggest single advantage of fixed batteries is it's cheaper to implement while assuring obsolescence. Short answer... No, we're probably stuck with fixed batteries. Sad but real.
    Couldn't agree with this more. It's all about planned obsolescence. A virtual guarantee the consumer will be forced to replace the non-removable battery powered handset after a couple of years. This is why I still keep my Q10 as a backup phone. No battery range anxiety with a spare battery on hand.

As for the pretext that non-removable batteries make thinner handsets possible, if these handsets get any thinner, they'd disappear into thin air. I still have my Samsung Note 3 simply because for a three year old phone with spare batteries and a spare battery charger always on hand, this handset keeps me untethered always. And it's plenty thin for me. Any thinner and typing on the handset becomes a pain already.

I've been looking at the LG V20 since it came out, but I ended up getting the Priv four months ago when its asking price became friendlier. Just couldn't resist the chance to own a slider-pkb again. Very happy so far with the Priv and so far, it's only downside is its non-removable battery. I just hope when its battery gives up the ghost, a replacement battery will be available.
    02-15-17 08:05 AM
    Separating the battery from the faulty charging system, or any load side fault, by physically removing the battery from the phone is the surest way to prevent phone fires. No energy source, no ignition source. No magic about that.
    Yes...but removing a battery from a smartphone is the surest way to make sure that it isn't spied on as well.
    idssteve likes this.
    02-15-17 08:19 AM
113 ... 345