Well, with QC3, 30 minutes will charge you from 30% to 75%.

I just don't buy it that someone can't find 10-30 minutes throughout the entire day where the phone can't be plugged in.
    Well, with JM1, 2 minutes & 40 seconds will charge my 9900 from 0% to 100%.

"Can't" has NOthing to do with it. Some of like swappable batteries. Walk a mile in our life at a construction site, for example. We shouldn't need to defend that preference but fyi swappables optimize efficiency in OUR lives... What's it to you? Are you afraid Apple might read this thread and suddenly stick a "dreaded" swappable into their next model??
    syclone1978 and anon(9721108) like this.
    11-12-16 07:25 PM
    Well, with JM1, 2 minutes & 40 seconds will charge my 9900 from 0% to 100%.

"Can't" has NOthing to do with it. Some of like swappable batteries. Walk a mile in our life at a construction site, for example. We shouldn't need to defend that preference but fyi swappables optimize efficiency in OUR lives... What's it to you? Are you afraid Apple might read this thread and suddenly stick a "dreaded" swappable into their next model??
    I was responding to a post that said they only had 30 minutes in the car, so it isn't much charging time. With QC3, that's plenty of time.
    11-12-16 09:57 PM
    Let me get this straight.

You find it more convenient to charge 4 individual batteries, then to keep the phone plugged in when needed?

- plugging in the phone at home before you go to sleep is a hassle?

- plugging your phone at the office is a hassle?

- you're sitting in the car, driving around, and you find it a hassle to plug your phone in?

I really can't think of any situation where charging and managing 4 batteries is a better solution for, well, anything. Personally, I'm too busy to deal with that.
    Its ridiculously easy to keep my G5 spare battery charged.
    Just plug it in while I'm out and about using my phone.

It's not a hassle at all.

Was at a festival, and had a spare battery and a power bank. Once the battery dropped, quick change to the spare battery, instant 100%. stick the spare onto charge with the powerbank. When my phone had dropped to 50%, I had a baterry at 100% ready for use.

The convenience of a spare battery is fantastic
    syclone1978 and idssteve like this.
    11-14-16 11:03 AM
    11-14-16 11:43 AM
    I read somewhere thst apple would go for it in ios8
    11-14-16 10:28 PM
    I read somewhere thst apple would go for it in ios8
    You mean iphone 8?

I have to wonder how many more microwaves will be shooting through our bodies on a cellular level with this technology for "convienience." Wifi, cell towers, etc and now wireless charging.

I know, no one cares, just a thought.

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    11-15-16 01:07 AM
    You mean iphone 8?

I have to wonder how many more microwaves will be shooting through our bodies on a cellular level with this technology for "convienience." Wifi, cell towers, etc and now wireless charging.

I know, no one cares, just a thought.

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    you can build faraday cage of your own... https://www.scitechnol.com/copper-co...brics-Zjb7.pdf
    11-15-16 07:47 AM
    Yes i meant iphone 8...
    11-15-16 09:39 AM

[...] and do not pose any problems with portability so I would be prepared to live with a slightly thicker device to have a serviceable phone with replaceable batteries (gosh, the headaches that the Passport SE is giving me right now due to the non-replaceable battery!).
    [....]
    You're talking to me? Yeah, I'm past two years now on this battery, and I'm charging it at lunchtime. But, the device itself has lasted and I've been flogging it like no other phone before...

:-D

Get me a new one!!! Will install myself...

�   "BB10 dead?" - "Let's dance the Danse MacaBBRY! ... or is it..?" ;-D   �
    idssteve likes this.
    11-16-16 01:40 AM
    You're talking to me? Yeah, I'm past two years now on this battery, and I'm charging it at lunchtime. But, the device itself has lasted and I've been flogging it like no other phone before...

:-D

Get me a new one!!! Will install myself...

�   "BB10 dead?" - "Let's dance the Danse MacaBBRY! ... or is it..?" ;-D   �
    Haha... Same here. Just schedule plenty of time...
    11-16-16 10:16 AM
    Unless this new in-house Blackberry phone has a removable battery, I might have to fall back on the Q10 on my next upgrade cycle. Blackberry is currently not selling any phone with a removable battery. When there are no more working SQN100-5 . . .
    11-29-16 11:15 AM
    it would have been much quicker, easier and cheaper for Samsung to resolve the problem they had with the Samsung galaxy fireball if they had removable batteries
    11-29-16 11:26 AM
    it would have been much quicker, easier and cheaper for Samsung to resolve the problem they had with the Samsung galaxy fireball if they had removable batteries
    The problem wasn't just with the battery.
    11-29-16 11:38 AM
    Wasn't it only a software update as well though? Could have been sorted ota

Posted via CB10
    11-29-16 11:51 AM
    Yes, and it also helps makes the case stiffer and stronger. The battery compartment represents a structural weakness, as well as wasteful of space, etc. Lots of sound engineering reasons why the industry trend is for fixed batteries.

Alternatively, it could be a conspiracy...
    This makes complete sense. In general, phones that are sealed have a much sturdier and tighter build, it explains why HTC jumped on the whole solid metal and sealed unibody as soon as it became financially viable.

With that said, the LG V20 makes a strong case for Removable Battery Phones, it is the sturdiest and most solidly build phone with a Removable Battery that I have ever come across....but still not quite as solid as for example a Google Pixel XL or HTC One, and not as well sealed as a iPhone 7 Plus or Galaxy S7 Edge.
    Avenzuno likes this.
    11-29-16 12:25 PM

Posted via CB10
    It looks like a physical fault in the charging system: removable batteries wouldn't magically fix that.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    11-29-16 12:38 PM

Posted via CB10
    The software update they sent out was just to prevent the battery from charging over 60%, as most of the fires happened when the battery had been fully charged.

Initially it was taught that just replacing the batteries would "fix" the problem... at least until a fixed NOTE 7 caught fire.

Going forward... I think fixed batteries are here to stay.
    11-29-16 01:04 PM
    This makes complete sense. In general, phones that are sealed have a much sturdier and tighter build, it explains why HTC jumped on the whole solid metal and sealed unibody as soon as it became financially viable.

With that said, the LG V20 makes a strong case for Removable Battery Phones, it is the sturdiest and most solidly build phone with a Removable Battery that I have ever come across....but still not quite as solid as for example a Google Pixel XL or HTC One, and not as well sealed as a iPhone 7 Plus or Galaxy S7 Edge.
    My new LG V20 is plenty solid, at least its exterior. As for the OS, I'm having to adjust to what I call a "Wild Wild West" OS in Android, even in its Nougat form. Having the BlackBerry Launcher and Hub+ Suite is a godsend after having spent a weekend experimenting with simple yet subpar (in terms of synergy and productivity) launchers. I'll bet now that TCL makes the call, next year we will see BlackBerry-branded phones with user-replaceable batteries like the V20.
    12-19-16 10:31 PM
    . I just don't get the fear about battery's these day. Jmo but personally I see no fear and am close to the business.

Sent from a Silver Passport.
    A lot of them are sourced from China and a percentage of these spontaneously combust.
    12-22-16 04:56 AM
    It looks like a physical fault in the charging system: removable batteries wouldn't magically fix that.
    Separating the battery from the faulty charging system, or any load side fault, by physically removing the battery from the phone is the surest way to prevent phone fires. No energy source, no ignition source. No magic about that.
    12-22-16 03:37 PM
    Separating the battery from the faulty charging system, or any load side fault, by physically removing the battery from the phone is the surest way to prevent phone fires. No energy source, no ignition source. No magic about that.
    So you have a paperweight that would be recalled anyway.
    12-22-16 08:05 PM
    So you have a paperweight that would be recalled anyway.
    Yep, a paperweight that wont start fires.
    12-22-16 08:35 PM
    Yep, a paperweight that wont start fires.
    You'd think having competent engineers would be more useful than removing the battery in case some schmuck in Korea half-assed his job.

If they're dumb enough to mess up the charging circuit, why not mess up the battery design itself? Then you'd still have a hand grenade, just a removable one.
    12-22-16 09:00 PM
    You'd think having competent engineers would be more useful than removing the battery in case some schmuck in Korea half-assed his job.

If they're dumb enough to mess up the charging circuit, why not mess up the battery design itself? Then you'd still have a hand grenade, just a removable one.
    Agreed. As an engineer myself, tho, I do empathize with the poor schmuck charged with optimizing endurance, charge rate, size, weight, price, reliability... SAFETY... All with still maturing battery technology that has the industry itself still steep in learning curve. A competent engineer, imo, would recognize the inherent fire hazard posed by modern Lion energy densities and apply pretty basic NFPA and NEC concepts accordingly. Imo.

You are right, a removable hand grenade is still a hazard. A black scar on our plant floor marks what had to be an exciting "Lion thermonuclear runaway" event. Lol. The hapless coworker had the thing to his ear when he noticed the heat. He simply used his screwdriver to pop the 9900's smoking battery out onto the concrete floor. Where it proceeded to release all of its smoke. The odor was still unmistakable when I arrived hours later.

Production was shutdown while the area was cleaned and ventilated but that coworker simply popped in spare battery (with fresh charge of smoke...lol) and re-called the party less than 3 minutes later. He's still using that same handset with batteries that haven't "leaked smoke" since. Lol.
    12-22-16 10:45 PM
    If you are the kind of person who keeps their electronic devices longer than two years, you need the removable battery.

The current rechargeable batteries cannot last a long time due to their limited charge cycles.

This is the biggest issue with the sealed in batteries. Batteries deteriorate which renders the entire device useless.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-16 07:55 AM
113 ... 2345