I have been in the manufacturing sector my entire carrier and it's easier and cheaper to make a device without a removable battery.

And with battery technology of today, most are good for a couple of years as long as they are charged properly.

No one is making a device to last forever, the typical life cycle of any device made today is a couple of years, but that time the technology has changed and most folks are looking for a new one anyways.
    TgeekB and HighFlight88 like this.
    11-06-16 04:42 AM
    I have been in the manufacturing sector my entire carrier and it's easier and cheaper to make a device without a removable battery.

And with battery technology of today, most are good for a couple of years as long as they are charged properly.

No one is making a device to last forever, the typical life cycle of any device made today is a couple of years, but that time the technology has changed and most folks are looking for a new one anyways.
    It is cheaper, but like in my Z10 and Q10, when the beasts run out of Juice I just change the battery and Presto, no needing in Plug the Phone and I can rock it as long as I wish, with non removables, you are stuck to the charger, when the battery starts messing up you have to send the Phone to a tech store, or buy yourself a new battery, and replace yourself, in Priv is not that Hard to Change it for yourself, but triying to find an OEM battery is a challenge, specially on Amazon, that is why I do love removables batteries, for its practicity and long lasting live than They give to the phone

Posted via CB10
    11-06-16 05:18 AM
    So if you want to know how long your phone will last just look at the battery life expectancy?

Posted via CB10
    11-06-16 06:49 AM
    Does no one have a car charger and plugs their phone in while they're driving home from work for instance? It's pretty simple and doesn't tie you down at all. Most phones last through the day anyways. This is a non-issue for 99% of the population.
    JeepBB, cribble2k, bakron1 and 1 others like this.
    11-06-16 07:01 AM
    Does no one have a car charger and plugs their phone in while they're driving home from work for instance? It's pretty simple and doesn't tie you down at all. Most phones last through the day anyways. This is a non-issue for 99% of the population.
    I agree.

I have a charger at home, office, and car. I can get through the day with 0 downtime. Not to mention, I don't have to carry other things around with me, such as spare batteries.
    Last edited by cribble2k; 11-06-16 at 02:38 PM.
    11-06-16 02:10 PM
    Take the situation Samsung: had they gone with removable batteries, all they'd have to do is just tell people to remove the battery, and put the phones aside until they can manufacture safer batteries. They didn't do that, so now they're feeling some big time pain and huge losses as a result from moving to non-removable batteries, all for the sake of "fashion" �� and "thinness"
    That would be true if and only if the battery was the sole point of failure. Remember, even the ones with the replacement (i.e. different, less Friday-afternoon design) batteries caught fire; if the issue is with the charging PMIC or some other hardware component then no removable battery would fix that.
    TgeekB and zephyr613 like this.
    11-06-16 02:26 PM
    I agree.

I have a charger at home, office, and car. I can get through the day with 0 downtime. Not to mention, I don't have to carry other things around with me, such as spare batteries.
    Yeah. I you happen to ever put your phone down or away. Mine gets used heavily, replaces my desktop for browsing, communication, file management, printing, etc....

And I don't know when my phone's charging port is going to give up due to dozens or hundreds of extra pulls a month. Phones can get incredibly hot with heavy use and charging at the same time...

And that isn't good neither for your hands nor your battery... :-(

Yes, I'd like to see The Return of the Replaceables... :-D

�   "BB10 dead?" - "Let's dance the Danse MacaBBRY! ... or is it..?" ;-D   �
    11-06-16 02:48 PM
    Yeah. I you happen to ever put your phone down or away. Mine gets used heavily, replaces my desktop for browsing, communication, file management, printing, etc....

And I don't know when my phone's charging port is going to give up due to dozens or hundreds of extra pulls a month. Phones can get incredibly hot with heavy use and charging at the same time...

And that isn't good neither for your hands nor your battery... :-(

Yes, I'd like to see The Return of the Replaceables... :-D

�   "BB10 dead?" - "Let's dance the Danse MacaBBRY! ... or is it..?" ;-D   �
    So you work while driving? Sounds dangerous.
    I've never ever had an issue with a charging port either.
    11-06-16 02:58 PM
    I agree.

Yup. Simple as pie.
    11-06-16 03:04 PM
    I doubt it they can get a bigger battery in a non removable phone and that's what the hoard want these days long batter life

#luvmybb10os
    11-06-16 05:22 PM
    So you work while driving? Sounds dangerous.
    I've never ever had an issue with a charging port either.
    Nope, no BBM, browsing etc...

I receive the odd phone call over Bluetooth. Thanks for letting me know about the charging port. I hope the charging port holds... :-D

11-07-16 03:25 AM
    Try charging your phone on a bus... Lol. Amazing how many "know it alls" think that EVERYone lives nice predictable lives. Some small percentage of us simply can't plan our lives around a fixed charging schedule. Another potential niche that BB has chosen to abandon. Do they really think "MOST consumers" want a BlackBerry at all ?? How many sales are GAINed by mimicking Apple's embedded battery "feature"?? My company would've bought far more Classics if they had swappable batts. More lost sales for bb.
    11-07-16 05:18 PM
    It is consumer greed that makes us complain about nonremovable batteries! Excuse me, but there are a gazillion new and current phones out there with removable batteries! Sure, they are mostly cheap or budget phones but they are everywhere. Everywhere! And those phones work just fine as actual phones, messengers, or light browsers.

If folks were less concerned about top specs and gaming and such, they could easily find many a good phone with a removable battery.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport SE
    TgeekB likes this.
    11-07-16 06:56 PM
    Try charging your phone on a bus... Lol. Amazing how many "know it alls" think that EVERYone lives nice predictable lives. Some small percentage of us simply can't plan our lives around a fixed charging schedule. Another potential niche that BB has chosen to abandon. Do they really think "MOST consumers" want a BlackBerry at all ?? How many sales are GAINed by mimicking Apple's embedded battery "feature"?? My company would've bought far more Classics if they had swappable batts. More lost sales for bb.
    Oh please, so you take a bus. The point was most of us, not all, have opportunities during the day, if necessary, to charge a phone. If not buy a dumb phone or a 9900. Companies need to market to the majority.
    11-07-16 08:08 PM
    Oh please, so you take a bus. The point was most of us, not all, have opportunities during the day, if necessary, to charge a phone. If not buy a dumb phone or a 9900. Companies need to market to the majority.
    Marketing to a "majority" that's already saturated by capable competition hasn't been a recipe for success so far, has it? In what way has embedded batteries INCREASED BB sales? ??
    11-07-16 08:24 PM
    Marketing to a "majority" that's already saturated by capable competition hasn't been a recipe for success so far, has it? In what way has embedded batteries INCREASED BB sales? ??
    I'm talking from a smartphone perspective. Blackberry is irrelevant.
    11-07-16 08:29 PM
    Aren't they selling portable battery packs so you can charge up your device on the go? Maybe your company should have considered those. Instead of carrying around a spare battery you carry around a portable charge station...

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB likes this.
    11-07-16 08:34 PM
    I'm talking from a smartphone perspective. Blackberry is irrelevant.
    Now we know.
    11-07-16 08:34 PM
    Aren't they selling portable battery packs so you can charge up your device on the go? Maybe your company should have considered those. Instead of carrying around a spare battery you carry around a portable charge station...

Posted via CB10
    We did. Easier, and far more useful, to carry a spare 9900 than lugging around a large enough battpack and dealing with wires or appendages.
    11-07-16 08:41 PM
    Besides the various reasons mentioned already for having non replaceable batteries, I think another factor may play a role. With such a device the average user won't be swapping in knock off batteries which carry some risks. Until this whole Samsung fiasco you'd typically only hear of phones with knock off batteries overheating and catching fire.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-16 09:14 PM
    Besides the various reasons mentioned already for having non replaceable batteries, I think another factor may play a role. With such a device the average user won't be swapping in knock off batteries which carry some risks. Until this whole Samsung fiasco you'd typically only hear of phones with knock off batteries overheating and catching fire.

Posted via CB10
    Good point. LiOns pack potentially perilous energy density. Liability considerations are likely one of the several corporate motives.

JM1s for 9900, for example, are pretty lightly armored. They truly suffer from sharing pocket space with keys, change, pocket knife, etc. I've never heard of one going "thermo-nuclear" in pocket but can visualize corporate culture's aversion to the remote possibility.

In the end, embedded batteries mostly benefit producers by being cheaper to implement, assuring obsolescence, and minimizing liability. Other than slight price savings, if passed on, it's really hard to identify a direct benefit to user, imo.
    11-08-16 12:41 AM
    Mercury with removable battery would be great.

Posted through my BlackBerry
    11-08-16 01:16 PM
    Mercury with removable battery would be great.

Mercury showing up with or without removable battery would be a treat in itself.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-16 05:37 PM
    Mercury showing up with or without removable battery would be a treat in itself.

Posted via CB10
    Was the priv a threat?

Posted via CB10
    11-08-16 06:44 PM

Posted via CB10
    Not if it costs more than 500 bucks. Don't compare it to iPhone, Apple simply has an ecosystem and a lot of stores for services to offer.

11-09-16 01:21 AM
113 1234 ...