It really is a DEAL BREAKER for me.

Every phone i have had (and the Q10) you can purchase custom batteries with that extra power (yes back of the phone might be fatter but still)

The whole idea of a locked/down battery is absolutely ridiculous IMO

If the Classic and passport had them... they would be amazing with custom batteries coming out for them.

(I'm pretty sure they do this Non-Removable Battery thing on purpose, as they know a battery degrades over time... hence why the Q10 is fantastic and many other phone brands.)

What is the main reason for this? to get the phone thin as possible? (I don't believe that one bit)
    11-03-16 03:14 PM
    LG G5,LG V20 come with removable battery and mini sd card slot
    as far the removable battery they claim you get better life (true), but even if you turn it off you can be tracked or the mic can be turned on ,so if you worry about security and privacy you need to worry about the device first , then invasive google
    rt2567, Lithtech and computedplus like this.
    11-03-16 03:24 PM
    Simple. A non removable battery means that they sell more devices.

"Z30 STA100-2 UK" 10.3.2.2836
    computedplus likes this.
    11-03-16 03:40 PM
    Simple. A non removable battery means that they sell more devices.

Explain? doesn't make sense really... *fixed battery* the phone will die in a few years... people like me Q10/BOLD user will use them till the phone is broken or really out of date... least i can swap battery now and then.
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    11-03-16 05:04 PM
    OP, I really feel ya on this matter, as removable batteries are truly pointless and can be very dangerous. Take the situation Samsung: had they gone with removable batteries, all they'd have to do is just tell people to remove the battery, and put the phones aside until they can manufacture safer batteries. They didn't do that, so now they're feeling some big time pain and huge losses as a result from moving to non-removable batteries, all for the sake of "fashion" �� and "thinness"

There are a handful of 2016 phones that have removable batteries, but the only flagships I can think of with them would be the LG V20 and LG G5. The Lumia 650, Samsung Galaxy J7 (2016) and LG Stylus 2 are other options, but they're not flagships. The Lumia 950 XL from 2015 is still a solid phone.
    11-03-16 06:43 PM
    Explain? doesn't make sense really... *fixed battery* the phone will die in a few years... people like me Q10/BOLD user will use them till the phone is broken or really out of date... least i can swap battery now and then.
    I think you have just explained it yourself in what you have just stated. No need for me to say anymore.

computedplus likes this.
    11-03-16 08:01 PM
    Lots to say more.

lol..
    11-03-16 09:24 PM
    I thought the reason for not having removable batteries was to keep the device thinner.
    JeepBB and TgeekB like this.
    11-03-16 11:41 PM
    I thought the reason for not having removable batteries was to keep the device thinner.
    Yes, and it also helps makes the case stiffer and stronger. The battery compartment represents a structural weakness, as well as wasteful of space, etc. Lots of sound engineering reasons why the industry trend is for fixed batteries.

Alternatively, it could be a conspiracy...
    DrBoomBotz, TgeekB and Tsepz_GP like this.
    11-04-16 02:44 AM
    Why stop at removable batteries. The beauty of my 9900 is I have bought a new keyboard, back cover, ear speaker and bottom plate that sits under the KB, new screens for $22, all parts that are plentiful off amazon or ebay. All can be easily changed by viewing the thousands of Youtube vids that show how to swap these parts.

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    Avenzuno and computedplus like this.
    11-04-16 03:02 AM
    Why stop at removable batteries. The beauty of my 9900 is I have bought a new keyboard, back cover, ear speaker and bottom plate that sits under the KB, new screens for $22, all parts that are plentiful off amazon or ebay. All can be easily changed by viewing the thousands of Youtube vids that show how to swap these parts.

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    Most people aren't going to do that. Even when the 9900 was popular they wouldn't do it.
    TgeekB likes this.
    11-04-16 06:14 AM
    "Most people" aren't going to repair their own car. NAPA, Auto Zone, Oreilly's, etc still make good profit targeting the niche minority who do work on their own car.

LiOn heat dissipation is also an engineering consideration. Superior thermal conductivity of 9900 style glass fiber battery cover makes for safer battery, imo. My embedded battery Classic is forever complaining of over heating.
    DrBoomBotz and qmishery like this.
    11-04-16 09:31 AM
    Replaceable batteries just introduce more failure points.

With QC3, you can charge in no time at all. In 20 minutes you can charge up the device from 20% to 50%.
    TgeekB, HighFlight88 and Carjackd like this.
    11-04-16 09:38 AM
    Simple batt swap gets my 99 from 0% to 100% in 2 minutes, 40 seconds, including reboot. No appendages or wires. No tying up my device just to charge a silly battery. Battery can charge at a slower rate in a spare batt charger because I'm free to carry and use my device while spare battery charges on desk.

We've been thru this too many times. To answer OP, the biggest single advantage of fixed batteries is it's cheaper to implement while assuring obsolescence. Short answer... No, we're probably stuck with fixed batteries. Sad but real.
    nglfmark likes this.
    11-04-16 10:11 AM
    Most people aren't going to do that. Even when the 9900 was popular they wouldn't do it.
    Maybe not when they were under warrenty, but I even changed the camera module when my camera failed on my white 9780. There was no way I was going to wait 4 weeks and have a flip phone loaner at the time. But ya, most wouldn't probably.
    11-04-16 12:17 PM
    Simple batt swap gets my 99 from 0% to 100% in 2 minutes, 40 seconds, including reboot. No appendages or wires. No tying up my device just to charge a silly battery. Battery can charge at a slower rate in a spare batt charger because I'm free to carry and use my device while spare battery charges on desk.

We've been thru this too many times. To answer OP, the biggest single advantage of fixed batteries is it's cheaper to implement while assuring obsolescence. Short answer... No, we're probably stuck with fixed batteries. Sad but real.
    Ha ha I remember when we had a power outage here this summer and I had four fully charged spare batteries for my 9900. My two friends that only have iPhones were freaking out because they said the power outage might last a couple days. I said I'm not worried I'm good for four days ;-)
    11-04-16 12:28 PM
    Ha ha I remember when we had a power outage here this summer and I had four fully charged spare batteries for my 9900. My two friends that only have iPhones were freaking out because they said the power outage might last a couple days. I said I'm not worried I'm good for four days ;-)
    That's four days with oem form factor. No battery packs or wires sticking out of the device to interfere with checking on kids & grandkids in one hand while loading batteries into flashlights with other hand.
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    11-04-16 12:53 PM

But there's not a lot of people like you out there Ralph. Most people couldn't replace the keyboard on their phone (most people don't want a PKB) if their life depended on it. The same with fixing a toaster or watch. It's become a throw away society.
    11-04-16 04:56 PM
    But there's not a lot of people like you out there Ralph. Most people couldn't replace the keyboard on their phone (most people don't want a PKB) if their life depended on it. The same with fixing a toaster or watch. It's become a throw away society.
    Well to be honest I had my electronics repair shop do some of the work for me if I couldn't. I just didn't want to trash a device if one thing didn't work on it, but yea it is a disposable product oriented society now.
    11-04-16 05:28 PM
    Well to be honest I had my electronics repair shop do some of the work for me if I couldn't. I just didn't want to trash a device if one thing didn't work on it, but yea it is a disposable product oriented society now.
    Ahh. I had a phone (BlackBerry) where the sim tray broke. I bought one for cheap on eBay and went to a local "phone repair" shop to see if they could install it. $99 just to look at it, probably more if they could repair it, and no promises.
    I laughed and walked out.
    11-04-16 05:31 PM
    Battery tech has come a long way. Idk after a year on att Passport I didn't feel the battery was degraded. Other phones for sure after a year the battery is junk. You can still buy nice battery's for a Palm TX. Phone shops are now all over the place to service these electronics. I used to use phone like you do and that's cool. I just don't get the fear about battery's these day. Jmo but personally I see no fear and am close to the business.

Sent from a Silver Passport.
    11-04-16 05:48 PM
    Ahh. I had a phone (BlackBerry) where the sim tray broke. I bought one for cheap on eBay and went to a local "phone repair" shop to see if they could install it. $99 just to look at it, probably more if they could repair it, and no promises.
    I laughed and walked out.
    Yeah they sure tried to sucker you, good thing you didn't fall for it. But to give you an idea, my repair place charged $29 for a blown ear speaker and they had to take the whole 9900 apart to do it. Pretty reasonable. And $50 for a new battery in my iPhone 5c.
    TgeekB likes this.
    11-04-16 06:31 PM
    To be honest no, the only one company making removable batteries properly right now is LG, and the V20 looks like a humongous z10 if you ask me (frontal part obviously) and it also have a remov battery, so if you need remov battery the V20 and future LG phones should be the solution

Posted via CB10
    11-05-16 01:30 PM
    To be honest no, the only one company making removable batteries properly right now is LG, and the V20 looks like a humongous z10 if you ask me (frontal part obviously) and it also have a remov battery, so if you need remov battery the V20 and future LG phones should be the solution

Posted via CB10
    There won't be a "no travel" ban for LGs...

at least they've got that battery side sorted, hey Sammy...! ;-D

�   "BB10 dead?" - "Let's dance the Danse MacaBBRY! ... or is it..?" ;-D   �
    11-05-16 11:38 PM

Consumerism is predicated on planned obsolescence of all products.

I understand the quest for ever thinner phones, a more streamlined look and all that jazz, but to be honest, it's getting more and more difficult to type on these thinner phones that I cannot last a few sentences without feeling uncomfortable.

This is why I stayed away from the Priv until last month when I finally decided to get a new Priv despite its non-replaceable battery. I've been enjoying the Priv but the non-replaceable battery for me is the biggest downside that I know I'll worry about when it starts to degrade like all device batteries a couple of years down the road.

This is the reason why, for my Android phones, I've always stuck with the Samsung Note series until they made the battery non-replaceable. When my Note 3 gives up the ghost, it looks like I'll be turning to the LG V series, unless they also jettison the replaceable battery.
    11-06-16 12:32 AM
113 123 ...