I don't have any friends who carry around or use an iPad or iPod to communicate. iPods are dying too. I have no idea why anyone would buy one. But I'm not complaining cause any of my friends that have iOS 5 I can now text for free.

I could see iPhone users like myself getting bored with iOS and deciding to switch, which I probably will do, but I'm still a year away from the end of my contract. Don't mind the free upgrade in operating system though, since its like getting a new phone. The novelty of it will probably wear off in a month though.

You seem quite offended by the thought of people maybe not sticking with iPhone since iOS 5 might not appeal them. Its okay if people don't stick with iPhone. Everyone doesn't need the same phone. No reason to get upset at the OPs suggestion.
    I know its a little off topic, but I completely agree with iPods dying off, but yet they still sell somewhat. Why should anyone buy an iPod when current smartphones can sync music? As the batteries and memory get better in smartphones, iPods should become a niche purchase, not mainstream anymore. Also I don't think I have ever seen a single person use an iPad to have long text conversations.

As for iMessage, it would have been a big deal 2-3 years ago, you know when BBM was a big deal? But now between cross platform messaging like Kik, Pingchat, etc. phone specific messaging just isn't as important a feature anymore. I know iMessage and BBM are more reliable than Pingchat or Kik, but keeping up with who has what messaging service or exclusive phone feature is tiresome, people will still just text.

The other big feature talked up a lot in the new iOS5 is SIRI. To me its just a smarter version of googletalk, that I will never use. I am not going to record voicenotes in public for everyone to hear to remind me. I would rather type it on my BB Calendar where its more private.
    10-14-11 06:30 AM
    ...As for iMessage, it would have been a big deal 2-3 years ago, you know when BBM was a big deal? But now between cross platform messaging like Kik, Pingchat, etc. phone specific messaging just isn't as important a feature anymore. [B]I know iMessage and BBM are more reliable than Pingchat or Kik, but keeping up with who has what messaging service or exclusive phone feature is tiresome, people will still just text.
    But thats the whole point, Apple are not forcing users in a situation where they HAVE to choose which method to go with, whether sms or the new iMessage... the iMessage application automatically detects if the recipient has an iOS device and thus it gets sent free via iMessage, simple. No extra thought is needed.

So even with iMessage, I will still use apps like Whatsapp to communicate with friends who still own blackberrys and androids.
    10-14-11 08:22 AM
    Exactly. If Apple can control so many people through "marketing," why don't they sell more computers or Apple TV units? Why aren't they leading Android in market share?
    Easy. Everyone knows that Apple doesn't rub AppleTV in the iSheep juice.

The whole "it's only marketing" cry borders on the inane, and shows a disturbing inability to appreciate good products because they do not carry a logo one likes.
    10-14-11 08:28 AM
    people still buy ipods because - they may not have/want a smartphone, they may want to run/exercise only having to carry a small ipod (like the nano or that other one).. the touch is for the kid/teen/adult who has a reg phone but wants to play games/listen to music/etc... if they werent selling them, they would not make them. Thats why the classic ipod is now gone. Not enough sales.

as far as iOS5.. how could you not be impressed with it? i was reading through a features list and its amazing. Not just because of that Siri app, but also stuff like location based reminders! how cool is that? set a reminder for when you get to the grocery store to get "whatever" or on the way to work... "dont forget to get bagels" very cool stuff.

Yes, i do know that many features are "borrowed" from other companies, but thats how it works.

and the only company i know of that has made a good dent in the tv market against the cable companies is tivo. I LOVE my tivo. it has the occasional issue where a channel doesnt come in... but its worth it. The features, the speed (compared to a Time Warner DVR box) is great.
    10-14-11 08:30 AM
    Thats why the classic ipod is now gone. Not enough sales.
    Actually, it's still on sale.

iPod classic - Shop iPod classic 160GB - Apple Store (U.S.)
    10-14-11 08:32 AM
    I know its a little off topic, but I completely agree with iPods dying off, but yet they still sell somewhat. Why should anyone buy an iPod when current smartphones can sync music? As the batteries and memory get better in smartphones, iPods should become a niche purchase, not mainstream anymore. Also I don't think I have ever seen a single person use an iPad to have long text conversations.
    I use the iPad for IMing. Trust me, I'd rather not feed the iHubris that is Apple, but they've conquered the killer app: battery life. Some people have abandoned their iPods Touches for their iPads.

It doesn't make economical sense to spend $2000 more to replace an iPod Touch with a smartphone. Unless people give their kids a smartphone as a substitute... then again in times when people are blaming the gov and companies for financial irresponsibility (and validly so), it appears that many on main street are acting in the same vein.
    10-14-11 08:42 AM
    people still buy ipods because - they may not have/want a smartphone, they may want to run/exercise only having to carry a small ipod (like the nano or that other one).. the touch is for the kid/teen/adult who has a reg phone but wants to play games/listen to music/etc... if they werent selling them, they would not make them. Thats why the classic ipod is now gone. Not enough sales.

as far as iOS5.. how could you not be impressed with it? i was reading through a features list and its amazing. Not just because of that Siri app, but also stuff like location based reminders! how cool is that? set a reminder for when you get to the grocery store to get "whatever" or on the way to work... "dont forget to get bagels" very cool stuff.

Yes, i do know that many features are "borrowed" from other companies, but thats how it works.

and the only company i know of that has made a good dent in the tv market against the cable companies is tivo. I LOVE my tivo. it has the occasional issue where a channel doesnt come in... but its worth it. The features, the speed (compared to a Time Warner DVR box) is great.
    I for one am not impressed with the list of features on iOS5. I think if you still have a 3GS and can upgrade its pretty awesome in that Apple didn't forget about you, I'll give them that, but if you already had an iPhone4, it doesn't add much.

iMessage should have come out 3 years ago, there are many cross platforms apps that exist now, even BBM is nowhere near as relevant as it once was and thats all this appear to be, sort of a BBM for iPhones? I mean there is an obvious market for it, but they are a little late to the party on that one.

Siri is another use once and forget it app. I mean do you really want to talk into your phone with people walking around and set an audible reminder for your prostate exam in a week? Typing in a calendar that vibrates to remind you is much more practical and private.

Most other features are plays on words and are laughably misleading. But this comes from the company that convinced people how great a gyroscope, facetime, and a smartcover are on an iPad2. so I would expect nothing less.

And I am not knocking iOS5 in being bad, just not really doing much. Same goes for BB7. Is it really THAT different? Its really the BB hardware that greatly improved, not the OS. With the iPhone4S, the hardware is a bit different but its improvements are not as great over the iPhone4 from a year and a half ago that you will notice when using it. The new BB's, you do see a huge improvement in how they run now...
    10-14-11 09:40 AM
    Most people using iOS are a different kind of consumer. They want to play music, play games, and interact with their phones. The trick is to find a reason to get a Blackberry.

The only reason I've heard recently was Stefani Germanotta preferring a BB because she needs a physical keyboard to type with her long nails.

BB has been playing up its data compression, but doesn't do a good job at it. I think I saw the BB ad in an in-flight magazine. The ad should have mentioned that with the premium on data plans and global roaming, BB can do more on the same data plan. A lot of marketing teams don't "get" how to sell it to people.

iPhone customers aren't impressed with things like that and wouldn't know about things like that even if they go over their monthly data quota.

RIM needs a more compelling reason for why people should choose their phones. "Security" is not tangible enough a sellpoint.
    That's funny, one of the reasons I switched from Blackberry to Android is the same reason Lady Gaga sticks with Blackberry. I couldn't type effectively with long nails on my 9700 without getting caught in the rivets & between keys. How she can do it is beyond me. I don't have time for a POS keyboard. I need speed & accuracy, not pauses & pain.
    10-14-11 10:32 AM
    Yes it is.. but its no longer being made. once they are gone. thats it.

I for one am not impressed with the list of features on iOS5. I think if you still have a 3GS and can upgrade its pretty awesome in that Apple didn't forget about you, I'll give them that, but if you already had an iPhone4, it doesn't add much.

iMessage should have come out 3 years ago, there are many cross platforms apps that exist now, even BBM is nowhere near as relevant as it once was and thats all this appear to be, sort of a BBM for iPhones? I mean there is an obvious market for it, but they are a little late to the party on that one.

Siri is another use once and forget it app. I mean do you really want to talk into your phone with people walking around and set an audible reminder for your prostate exam in a week? Typing in a calendar that vibrates to remind you is much more practical and private.

Most other features are plays on words and are laughably misleading. But this comes from the company that convinced people how great a gyroscope, facetime, and a smartcover are on an iPad2. so I would expect nothing less.

And I am not knocking iOS5 in being bad, just not really doing much. Same goes for BB7. Is it really THAT different? Its really the BB hardware that greatly improved, not the OS. With the iPhone4S, the hardware is a bit different but its improvements are not as great over the iPhone4 from a year and a half ago that you will notice when using it. The new BB's, you do see a huge improvement in how they run now...
    Hey.. im using a storm2... im thinking OS5 vs iOS5... iOS5 wins lol
    and in reality.. there are no apps for OS7... im tired of seeing thousands of ads and commercials that say "get the iphone app" but there is NEVER a blackberry app.. or if it is.. its really just a web link to a bad mobile site.
    10-14-11 10:53 AM
    More like old news. The iPhone4S is coming out nearly a year and a half after the iPhone4 and this is all they could come up with?
    I don't think the phone took that long to develop. I think they wanted to get all carriers on the same release date/model. Had they not done it it would have been Verizon - February, AT&T - June, and Sprint - Would have been October. I'm sure it's easier to have one announcement about a new model and all carriers on the same "iDay" schedule.

What has the iPhone4S or this new iOS5 offered? Nothing that impressive, which is why I am puzzled why its breaking records for preorders? Are consumers really that naive? Cloud services are not new, BBM has existed for years...
    I think what might be impressive to some is that all those things that have been around for a while are all on one device now. You don't have to pick one or the other or decide which feature is more important to you.

The iPhone still has no model with a QWERTY keyboard, its still the same old slab design, and I have to ask when do people get sick of the same design every year?
    I think a keyboard would be cool, but if it isn't broke don't fix it. Most people like the design so why stir the pot. Just update what's under the hood.
    10-14-11 11:20 AM
    I was curious about iOS5 an so I went to see my neighbor last night and played with his iPhone 4. He said there were not enough improvements in the 4S to warrant an upgrade but that he was not impressed with iOS5. At least not as much as the hype suggested.

Hmmm... actually, he was already paying 99 bucks a year for mobile me so he may not be a good example but here is the bottom line.

I don't think that there will be a mass exodus from iOS for BlackBerry because of this somewhat boring upgrade. However, there will be some people that will come back to BlackBerry due to the new OS7 devices. Further, the android platform will also gain as a result of the iPhone not changing their screen size of 3.5".

So the iPhone is a very nice phone and it will continue to sell well. However, this does give people that want variety and choice at least look elsewhere. The new BB's are really nice for people that want to get things done. The larger screens (even the BB full screen has a 3.7") makes for a better gaming and video experience so I see an opening for them as well.

In the end, people should compare the three device types and look at what they want in their phones.

I like reliable, secure, push, and love my keyboard. Everything is faster if you can customize it and no one can customize like BlackBerry. My view.
    Others NEED to have the largest app store, and that is the iPhone. Also, it allows you to download movies directly to your phone. That goes to iPhone users.
    Others want to have a more open ecosystem and some choice. The droids dominate the large screen world and they are pushing on super fast processors that make BlackBerry and iPhone look slow by comparison. Only issue is battery life and security but most people don't care about security and can just get a spare battery. Advantage for them is Droid.

If I ever left BlackBerry again (which I doubt - I did leave for an HTC but quickly came back) it would be for a droid because of their open eco-system (apple trying to get me to get everything apple gives me iClaustrophobia and I believe they painted themselves into a corner by being so app friendly they can't expand their screen because they would lose their app advantage) and the droids do have powerful phones and like BlackBerry offer touch screen, keyboards, slider phones and just choice.
    Last edited by guerllamo7; 10-14-11 at 11:28 AM.
    10-14-11 11:26 AM
    iPods are dying too. I have no idea why anyone would buy one.
    I see as many iPod Nanos and iPod Touches as I do smartphones at the gym.
    10-14-11 11:41 AM

I like reliable, secure, push, and love my keyboard.
    If you need reliable push email, BB is not a good choice. If you use BIS, it isn't even that secure (RIM server to phone is secure but what about RIM server to public email server).
    10-14-11 11:54 AM
    If you need reliable push email, BB is not a good choice. If you use BIS, it isn't even that secure (RIM server to phone is secure but what about RIM server to public email server).
    SSL to public e-mail server. So it is secure. But you can disable that if you'd like. IMAP mail addresses, there isn't an option to disable SSL, it's there by default.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    graxyq likes this.
    10-14-11 12:08 PM
    No.

Android stands to gain the most from the few who may defect from Apple, especially with Samsung Galaxy SIIs now at AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile, and the Nexus Galaxy due out soon on Verizon.

Keep in mind that the 4S is a decidedly faster phone than it's predecessor. The camera has been markedly improved, and has regained its claim as the best camera on any phone. This may seem like boring stuff, but for those eligible for an upgrade from their 3GS, the switch to the new iPhone will be a no-brainer.

You must ask yourselves this:

What do BBs have to offer that would sway someone over who was on the fence? The devices are wholly different; the intended use differs greatly.
    10-14-11 12:36 PM
    SSL to public e-mail server. So it is secure. But you can disable that if you'd like. IMAP mail addresses, there isn't an option to disable SSL, it's there by default.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    An iPhone can connect directly to a public e-mail server over SSL. This is no less secure than connecting via RIM servers and a lot more reliable.
    Accidental Post likes this.
    10-14-11 01:38 PM
    I don't have any friends who carry around or use an iPad or iPod to communicate. iPods are dying too. I have no idea why anyone would buy one. But I'm not complaining cause any of my friends that have iOS 5 I can now text for free.

I could see iPhone users like myself getting bored with iOS and deciding to switch, which I probably will do, but I'm still a year away from the end of my contract. Don't mind the free upgrade in operating system though, since its like getting a new phone. The novelty of it will probably wear off in a month though.

You seem quite offended by the thought of people maybe not sticking with iPhone since iOS 5 might not appeal them. Its okay if people don't stick with iPhone. Everyone doesn't need the same phone. No reason to get upset at the OPs suggestion.
    Which iPod? iPod Touch is the most popular portable gaming device. Moreso than a the Playstation or Nintendo devices. Lots of people have them. If you're disheartened with iOS5 and will leave when you were seemingly fine on iOS4 (you'll likely say the opposite, expectedly), then the issue is not the iPhone. It's you. Also, that's pretty a pretty ******** thing to say, period. It makes absolutely no sense.

"Hey, I got an OS upgrade that added a bunch of good features, but I think I'm gonna go to blackberry... I'm already bored with it even though I used iOS 4.x for over a year... <cries>"

Seriously, gimme a break.

iPad are obviously popular, iPhones are obviously popular.

If iOS5 doesn't appeal to them then iOS4 didn't and they wouldn't be there period.

I'm not offended by that thought. I'm offended that you think this illogical conclusion makes any sense, and that many people on this forum are dumb enough to run with it.
    Last edited by N8ter; 10-14-11 at 02:25 PM.
    10-14-11 02:20 PM
    For the point of Blackberry customization, there is very little of it. Nothing compares to rooted Android, for customization on the front, and back ends

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    10-14-11 02:26 PM
    I find it interesting that the press is starting to call iOS dated. It's a meme in the making. Often the press is looking for a hook, such as the lack of apps when it comes to the Blackberry. "iOS is dated" will be the hook for upcoming iPhone reviews, unless Apple changes things drastically.

Joshua Topolsky and Andy Inhatko say it straight up. But you can also detect the sentiment in the writings of Walt Mossberg and David Pogue, long time Apple columnists.
    I don't know if topolsky called the iOS dated, but his review for the 4S is fairly glowing.
    Apple iPhone 4S review: It&rsquo;s the software that&rsquo;s a surprise - The Washington Post

"Is the iPhone 4S the best phone ever made? That's debatable."
    10-14-11 06:47 PM
    Almost everyone at work and around my residential area wants an iPhone 4S, I was shocked (well a little more disgusted than shocked). I think the more popular things are, the more people want them, and that seems to be how Apple applies to the market.

The Futurama parody episode called Attack of the Killer App is pretty spot on with how Apple fans flock to Apple products. But there seems to be newcomers interested in the iPhone because of the "new" features that has already existed in other phones beforehand.
    Last edited by sookster54; 10-14-11 at 06:55 PM.
    10-14-11 06:53 PM
    An iPhone can connect directly to a public e-mail server over SSL. This is no less secure than connecting via RIM servers and a lot more reliable.
    That's providing the email servers allow SSL and TLS connections (which usually means different ports than default ones), not all of them do, at least gmail does.
    10-14-11 06:58 PM
    Which iPod? iPod Touch is the most popular portable gaming device. Moreso than a the Playstation or Nintendo devices. Lots of people have them. If you're disheartened with iOS5 and will leave when you were seemingly fine on iOS4 (you'll likely say the opposite, expectedly), then the issue is not the iPhone. It's you. Also, that's pretty a pretty ******** thing to say, period. It makes absolutely no sense.

"Hey, I got an OS upgrade that added a bunch of good features, but I think I'm gonna go to blackberry... I'm already bored with it even though I used iOS 4.x for over a year... <cries>"

Seriously, gimme a break.

iPad are obviously popular, iPhones are obviously popular.

If iOS5 doesn't appeal to them then iOS4 didn't and they wouldn't be there period.

I'm not offended by that thought. I'm offended that you think this illogical conclusion makes any sense, and that many people on this forum are dumb enough to run with it.
    I guess you're not offended. Just offensive, although I personally don't take offense, but I'd be surprised to hear the words you call other people on this forum used in public.

iPhone is great and personally for me the best phone I've ever had, although I barely use it as a phone, more for web browsing. I'll likely never buy another iPhone unless I loose my current one. When my contract is up I'll probably get another phone since all iPhone are basically the same, unless you consider white different or have a strong desire to talk to your phone. My iPhone will become an iPod.

Guess what, consumers are fickle and get bored of things, so it is perfectly logical someone would get bored with iOS and want to try something new. Consumers can change their mind whenever they want and have every right to. This isn't an earth shattering concept and just because you can't comprehend it doesn't mean its isn't true, or is '********'. But its fine if you can't change your device, just don't get so upset when other people can.

One other thing about the upgrade to iOS5, it seems to have deleted a lot of users content, definitely one less barrier to switching. But who in their right mind would switch to blackberry right? That makes about as much sense as someone coming on a bb fan site and constantly bashing bb's when they don't use them.

Oh, and I'm not sure if Ipod touch is the most popular portable gaming device, I think iOS is the most popular portable gaming platform, BIG difference.

I'm gonna go cry now over the fact I'm bored with iOS5.
    Last edited by AZ87; 10-14-11 at 08:57 PM.
    10-14-11 08:41 PM
    Doesn't matter how secure RIM is when they've proved they're not dependable anymore.
    10-14-11 08:47 PM
    I guess you're not offended. Just offensive, although I personally don't take offense, but I'd be surprised to hear the words you call other people on this forum used in public.

iPhone is great and personally for me the best phone I've ever had, although I barely use it as a phone, more for web browsing. I'll likely never buy another iPhone unless I loose my current one. When my contract is up I'll probably get another phone since all iPhone are basically the same, unless you consider white different or have a strong desire to talk to your phone. My iPhone will become an iPod.

Guess what, consumers are fickle and get bored of things, so it is perfectly logical someone would get bored with iOS and want to try something new. Consumers can change their mind whenever they want and have every right to. This isn't an earth shattering concept and just because you can't comprehend it doesn't mean its isn't true, or is '********'. But its fine if you can't change your device, just don't get so upset when other people can.

One other thing about the upgrade to iOS5, it seems to have deleted a lot of users content, definitely one less barrier to switching. But who in their right mind would switch to blackberry right? That makes about as much sense as someone coming on a bb fan site and constantly bashing bb's when they don't use them.

Oh, and I'm not sure if Ipod touch is the most popular portable gaming device, I think iOS is the most popular portable gaming platform, BIG difference.

I'm gonna go cry now over the fact I'm bored with iOS5.
    You made no sense. I'm not going to read this and try to rebut it, becuase I've already said what I had to say. You're just trying to save face.

Lol "Guess what, consumers are fickle..."

I think I'm asphxiating from laughter...

If you think I'm offensive, than that's your problem.
    10-14-11 09:49 PM
    Just have to say, I'm NOT returning to BlackBerry. My iPhone4S makes my one year-old 9800 look like it's 4 years old. WOW. Just loving this device. Smooth, crystal clear audio, the display is amaze-ing, Siri is fun, everything just flows sooooo smoothly. Definitely worth the upgrade!
    10-14-11 09:53 PM
87 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD