Hi All,

I'm going to BFE in Ohio in a few days and wondered if I should bring a Wireless router at the chance of getting cell service (T-Mobile UMA). So my question is... is it possible to get cell coverage via UMA without cell coverage? Make sense? And yes, I already have the Unlimited HotSpot Calling on my plan.

TIA!
    01-12-09 02:32 PM
    That's the whole point to UMA. To provide a signal for your phone when mobile cell towers aren't good enough.
    01-12-09 02:34 PM
    Thanks for the confirmation, just wanted the assurance.
    01-12-09 02:42 PM
    Also, you'll notice a big difference between UMA and EDGE.
    01-12-09 02:44 PM
    I have UMA at home and at work and haven't noticed a difference, so hopefully it continues. I just want some sort of cell coverage so I can text and twitter, lol.
    01-12-09 03:00 PM
    I have UMA at home and at work and haven't noticed a difference, so hopefully it continues. I just want some sort of cell coverage so I can text and twitter, lol.
    When I'm on UMA at home I notice a difference BIG TIME! UMA is so much faster. Also, make sure you have your network preference set to WiFi Preferred.
    01-12-09 03:02 PM
    Oh, your talking data? I don't have a data plan, just wifi since I have it available 80% of the time. And thanks for the tip, I used somebody's wifi setup tutorial and am all setup.

Many thanks CB!
    01-12-09 03:06 PM
    ... I already have the Unlimited HotSpot Calling on my plan.

TIA!
    Oh, your talking data? I don't have a data plan, just wifi since I have it available 80% of the time. And thanks for the tip, I used somebody's wifi setup tutorial and am all setup.

Many thanks CB!
    You have Hotspot but you do not have a data plan. Do you get the UMA or uma?

Lower case uma will let you call using Wifi, but no message data. Uppercase UMA allows voice and data to use Wifi.
    01-12-09 05:48 PM
    Sorry for the confusion, I have the lower case uma. I'm still on the UMA, uma, EDGE, edge learning curve.

Thanks for the clarification though.
    01-12-09 09:46 PM
    Hi All,

I'm going to BFE in Ohio in a few days and wondered if I should bring a Wireless router at the chance of getting cell service (T-Mobile UMA). So my question is... is it possible to get cell coverage via UMA without cell coverage? Make sense? And yes, I already have the Unlimited HotSpot Calling on my plan.

TIA!
    You could actually turn off your Cell service and leave WIFI on to make calls. Hope that helps.
    01-12-09 10:03 PM
    You could actually turn off your Cell service and leave WIFI on to make calls. Hope that helps.
    Has anyone used UMA calling this way outside the US? The last two summers in a row my boss has shipped me off to India for a week. I'd prefer free UMA calling over the hotel broadband to getting soaked for $3/min roaming.
    01-13-09 05:33 PM
    As a fyi post. I'm currently in BFE Ohio and am using my router for uma cell coverage and surfing the web via wifi.

T-mobile uma Rocks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-17-09 11:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD