I find BB Link and Blend to be annoying as they both pop up together when I plug in my phone. There are also some features that are similar to blend like file manager. Why do I need two repetitive file manager for my BlackBerry device every time I plug in my phone. So annoying and confusing. BlackBerry needs to merge the two apps for once. Who agrees?
    04-06-15 05:58 AM
    I've got a feeling that it's going that way

Z10
    04-06-15 06:16 AM
    I hope so. Haha.

I've got a feeling that it's going that way

Z10
    04-06-15 06:19 AM
    Currently it seems that Blend uses Link for the file manager. I agree that they should merge the two into one application. In the meantime you can change the settings on Link to not open when device is plugged in.

Will They Ever Merge Blend and Link Together as One Unified App-linkprefences.jpg
    04-06-15 06:29 AM
    I find BB Link and Blend to be annoying as they both pop up together when I plug in my phone. There are also some features that are similar to blend like file manager. Why do I need two repetitive file manager for my BlackBerry device every time I plug in my phone. So annoying and confusing. BlackBerry needs to merge the two apps for once. Who agrees?
    If you don't want blend or link popping up every time you plug your phone in. Change the setting in blend & link, so it doesn't.

Posted via CB10
    Alexandru Debu likes this.
    04-06-15 07:12 AM
    Personally I think the days of legacy "sync" to a desktop application for "wired" (usb) connections are or should be over. We love in a connected world now, Bluetooth and WiFi are much faster conduits (I digress BlackBerry's implementation of IPv6 screwed up WiFi for Windows).

Desktop apps now have ability for syncing wireless for a long time now. Transferring large amounts of data to device or microsd card is pretty much the only reason to sync.

I think blend will trend to replace BlackBerry Link and BlackBerry Protect will have a wireless backup option.

Posted using CB10 via Z10
    04-06-15 07:32 AM
    A light weight version of just Blend would still be needed by many. Who would really want to have a massive program running on a tablet or an old computer. Wish they had a web based version so I could use it on my PlayBook
    04-06-15 08:14 AM
    Personally I think the days of legacy "sync" to a desktop application for "wired" (usb) connections are or should be over. We love in a connected world now, Bluetooth and WiFi are much faster conduits (I digress BlackBerry's implementation of IPv6 screwed up WiFi for Windows).

Desktop apps now have ability for syncing wireless for a long time now. Transferring large amounts of data to device or microsd card is pretty much the only reason to sync.

I think blend will trend to replace BlackBerry Link and BlackBerry Protect will have a wireless backup option.

Posted using CB10 via Z10
    There are many who prefer the wired connection for security and other reasons. Options are always good to have. You can't just disregard someone else's preference just because you don't use that option.

While I don't personally use a wired connection for syncing, I do use it for file transfers, because I find it to be faster than transferring over wi-fi.

Posted via CB10
    thymaster likes this.
    04-06-15 09:31 AM
    Funny, I asked my friend yesterday why he doesn't use Blend and he said he doesn't want to download two different programs
    And that both should be in one program.

I agree with him.

Posted via CB10
    thymaster likes this.
    04-06-15 01:54 PM
    Funny, I asked my friend yesterday why he doesn't use Blend and he said he doesn't want to download two different programs
    And that both should be in one program.

I agree with him.

Posted via CB10
    We all agree that they should be one. However they are in the same installation setup when you choose Blend so you only download and run it once.
    04-06-15 02:07 PM
    Will blend and link become one? Will Chen get rid of hardware? when is BlackBerry going to spend some money on marketing... Find out next time on DragonBall Z!!!!!!!

Posted By My BeastBerry
    04-06-15 02:43 PM
    Would they call it Blink?
    filanto likes this.
    04-06-15 05:28 PM
    Would they call it Blink?
    Would they call it Blind... ? ;-)

  Qchen, with new keyboard :-)  
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    04-07-15 03:32 AM
    No it's going to be called Bellini because I could use one right now. LOL

Would they call it Blind... ? ;-)

•   Qchen, with new keyboard :-)   •
    04-07-15 04:58 AM
    There are many who prefer the wired connection for security and other reasons. Options are always good to have. You can't just disregard someone else's preference just because you don't use that option.

While I don't personally use a wired connection for syncing, I do use it for file transfers, because I find it to be faster than transferring over wi-fi.

Posted via CB10
    BTW ... this is a BlackBerry (desktop client and mobile device) we're talking about ... worrying or concern about "security" should be ill placed.

Sync'ing with Outlook (personal PC)
    - hope you paid for license
    - data is local and on your router - use stronger wireless methods and MAC filtering and MAC address spoof protection if you're really concerned using wireless (anyone not just you specifically; just a general reply here).

Sync'ing with corporate/enterprise Outlook/GroupWise/LotusNotes clients:
    - this is corporate information I'm pretty sure their wireless networks (using certificates or more) are more secure than most people worrying about wireless data travelling is better than their home networks.

So security shouldn't be a worry with BlackBerry ... but people worry regardless, I get that.

The other reasons ... pretty much solved with Blend ... wireless connectivity BlackBerry began with Desktop Manager (bluetooth) and Link (bluetooth and wifi), so those "other reasons" are all pretty much covered - OTHER than OS updates, backups (selective), recovery (selective) - which was my point to have these implemented into Blend.

My preference ... completely agree ... but I did include others' preference with incorporating those into my original suggestion, did I not? Trust me .... it's all part of the plan at BlackBerry. The reason Desktop Manager was not upgraded to support BB10 devices has nothign to do with 'not possible' mindset ... it was a licensing and cost decision ... BlackBerry did NOT see any benefit to them in keeping Nokia at control of a software BlackBerry supported yet had to resolve with no full access to code line by line from Nokia. IntelliSync remember ?
    Cheers.
    04-08-15 05:37 PM