Developers will be able to port over their Android apps to the QNX OS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    That would work. However, what could they do to get consumers interested in the devices being introduced this year, which will not run QNX? Would developers have any interest in building apps for an OS that will be replaced next year?
    04-29-11 04:49 PM
    That would work. However, what could they do to get consumers interested in the devices being introduced this year, which will not run QNX? Would developers have any interest in building apps for an OS that will be replaced next year?
    The average consumer has no idea about QNX. Heck, a lot of people don't even know about the Playbook. As for the developer question, I don't know, as I'm not a developer. Heh.
    04-29-11 04:59 PM
    The average consumer has no idea about QNX. Heck, a lot of people don't even know about the Playbook. As for the developer question, I don't know, as I'm not a developer. Heh.
    The reason I mentioned the developer interest (or lack thereof) is this article.
    04-29-11 05:06 PM
    The reason I mentioned the developer interest (or lack thereof) is this article.
    Well, it's not a concern to me personally. I don't have many apps at all. Mobile websites replace the need for a lot of them.
    04-29-11 05:33 PM
    Sack Balsille, Sack Lazidaris, sack the CMO. Get everyone representing the image of the company replaced. Get a new spokesperson, someone with a ridiculous amount of passion such that you can see said passion flowing through their veins (I'd love to do a trial run for them! I love my BlackBerry and I'd love to talk up these devices, just don't let my passion tire you out )
    Mr. Mihalis �Mike� Lazaridis needs to go after his public melt down. It is
    clear the kitchen is too hot for him.
    The other CEO doesnt seem any better using high tech terms like
    "web thingys" on TV. But still, he hasn't melted down like Mike has.

New, innovative, bright motivated people are needed. Not old school.

Tim
    04-29-11 07:57 PM
    I agree, and I'm a current satisfied Android user. RIM needs to stick to their own OS and maintain brand identity. Going Android (especially on just some of their devices) would further hurt their image, confuse customers, and throw them out there with an already overloaded sea of other Android devices. However, I think they need to (awhile ago really) just stop wasting resources trying to polish the old and crusty OS and put all their efforts into QNX.
    Well said Sir.

The Android wave will slow down in the future. Apple is Apple but if
    Jobs leaves for any reason, Apple will return to the way it was before
    he came back.

Tim
    04-29-11 08:00 PM
    Well said Sir.

The Android wave will slow down in the future. Apple is Apple but if
    Jobs leaves for any reason, Apple will return to the way it was before
    he came back.

Tim
    That's quite a presumptious prediction, Tim, if you don't mind me saying. The 4G tidal wave, once it gets fully underway, should put extreme heat on Apple to start innovating both faster, and with larger leaps in technology. Also, at some point, it's MY prediction that unless Apple starts selling a variety of models, they are going to become yesterday's news. Right now they are resting on their laurels. Heck, even the Apple fans are thinking as much about the iPhone 6 as they are the iPhone 5. That tells me they are unhappy with the slow pace of Apple's new product introductions (because of how little changes with each new model). And what's with a GLASS back?? That's just nuts.
    i7guy likes this.
    04-29-11 09:05 PM
    Some of us will remember, John Sculley was CEO of Pepsico before he was hired CEO of Apple Computer. He replace the existing technicaly talented Jobs and Woz as leader of the company.

Some of us feel he dumped Apple Computer into the toilet and it was Steve Jobs that came to the rescue.... iPod.

IMHO, the job of executive presenter should go to Dan Dodge, head qeek at QNX.

Executive Profiles
    I agree.

Dan Dodge the geeky guy
    04-30-11 01:59 AM
    Recently, there has been a lot of discussion here on the leadership of RIM and how the co-CEO system is not leading to the success of the company.

No matter where you stand, doom and gloom or eventual market takeover, do you think that the leaders of RIM will be shaken up? Do you think they should put new people in charge?

Personally, I have a lot of respect for both of the CEOs, however, I see there public speaking skills are on the decline and they aren't really helping the image of RIM. I understand that good products should speak for themselves but that is in an idealistic world. Their PR team is not doing a very good job of trying to stabilize RIM's communication with it's public- both corporate and consumer (those lines are blurring obviously.)

Would shifting a new CEO (ditching the co-CEO strategy) help the company change it's public identity?
    A new ceo would make a huge difference for shareholders. They need to get going before our phones head into palm territory.
    Pe wise, Rimm is very cheap for tech.

But who could possibly buy RIMM? Goog and msft have enough cash to make it happen, especially if they propose a cash and stock transaction.

A buyout is highly unlikely.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-30-11 02:58 AM
    Some of us will remember, John Sculley was CEO of Pepsico before he was hired CEO of Apple Computer. He replace the existing technicaly talented Jobs and Woz as leader of the company.

Some of us feel he dumped Apple Computer into the toilet and it was Steve Jobs that came to the rescue.... iPod.

IMHO, the job of executive presenter should go to Dan Dodge, head qeek at QNX.

Executive Profiles
    To that point where did this guy Gerstner come from? He had no knowledge about computers.
    05-01-11 07:25 AM
    The problem I see it as a consumer is the RIM cannot or won't see there they have two different markets. Corporations (BES) and the regular consumer (BIS). If they were to have separate internal groups for each segment they might understand what the consumer wants. Stop making me feel like a second rate customer because I own just one BB and not thousands. Corporations are not looking for glitz and glamour. They want security and functionality. The consumer wants that and a whole lot more. I'm not one for a lot of games on a mobile device but there are people who do.

As a consumer you have to think twice before buying a BB when you see apps being created for the iPhone/iPad first then Android. BlackBerry is a distant third.

BlackBerry was my first smartphone but i am seriously going to look at the iPhone or Android when my current contract is up.

The following quote is from a PC World article referenced earlier in this thread.

"RIM continues to drag out old hardware and boring software because the business users still demands it.�
    05-01-11 08:05 AM
    The problem I see it as a consumer is the RIM cannot or won't see there they have two different markets. Corporations (BES) and the regular consumer (BIS). If they were to have separate internal groups for each segment they might understand what the consumer wants. Stop making me feel like a second rate customer because I own just one BB and not thousands. Corporations are not looking for glitz and glamour. They want security and functionality. The consumer wants that and a whole lot more. I'm not one for a lot of games on a mobile device but there are people who do.

As a consumer you have to think twice before buying a BB when you see apps being created for the iPhone/iPad first then Android. BlackBerry is a distant third.

BlackBerry was my first smartphone but i am seriously going to look at the iPhone or Android when my current contract is up.

The following quote is from a PC World article referenced earlier in this thread.

"RIM continues to drag out old hardware and boring software because the business users still demands it.�
    I totally agree. This isn't rocket science people. If Blackberry devices had a great web browser, media experience, and great hardware capable of playing some decent games and apps were there to take advantage of it then Blackberry devices would be selling like mad because then businesses wouldn't have to compromise on the security while employees would still be buying an attractive device. RIM's plan of "catering to the CIO" didn't take into account that the CIO would cave into people wanting to use other devices or companies allowing people to BYO device to save money. I think RIM needs to make the devices people want and then pay developers nicely to build up the app database and once that is going then the app base can go back to non-paid development IMHO.
    05-01-11 08:45 AM
    I agree, and I'm a current satisfied Android user. RIM needs to stick to their own OS and maintain brand identity. Going Android (especially on just some of their devices) would further hurt their image, confuse customers, and throw them out there with an already overloaded sea of other Android devices. However, I think they need to (awhile ago really) just stop wasting resources trying to polish the old and crusty OS and put all their efforts into QNX.
    I think its not really apps in general that matter as much as it is the high demand apps. Say, outside of the core ones like email, this would be Facebook, Twitter Client, etc. RIM does ok on phones in this regard. While there is not a huge app count on BB phones, RIM writes a lot of the important ones themselves. So it covers the bases for 95% of new users. Hopefully with QNX there is a team inside RIM that is focused on just that. I am sure there is.
    05-01-11 09:15 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD