Let's hope not

Posted via CB10
    07-19-15 07:25 PM
    If BlackBerry were smart, they'd design and release a flip phone, as it's quickly becoming popular again (not that it ever lost much popularity in Asia).

Posted via CB10
    08-03-15 09:19 PM
    The flip/clamshell phone is a dead form factor. DEAD.

What did people do on flip phones? Talk, text, and take awful 640 x 480 pictures. That size of screen and keypad worked pretty well for that.

A flip/clamshell phone involves a flip section nearly, or as big as it's screen.

Now think about what modern phones do. In a word, EVERYTHING, and that's because of a comparatively huge screen.

Also consider the functionality of a touchscreen - it's both an input AND output device. Keyboards are input-only devices, so they need to take up as little space as possible. BlackBerry increased the functionality of the keyboard slightly with the Passport by adding the touch-sensitive layer, but even then the keyboard was squeezed down to only 3 rows.

So to retain any functionality, we need a big screen, and to be a flip phone, we need a flip out section nearly as big as the screen. Stick two Z10s together end to end and see what that would look like. Massive keyboard that does comparatively little, takes up tons of space, and why?

I have no clue why. It makes no sense. Let it go.

Posted via CB10
    08-03-15 09:47 PM
    Just an FYI... Samsung already released an Android flip/clamshell phone: http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Sam...-Golden_id8563

Posted from an ME173X
    Also the Samsung Galaxy Folder just came out. LG is also making some flip phone running Android

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
    08-03-15 10:09 PM
    The flip/clamshell phone is a dead form factor. DEAD.

What did people do on flip phones? Talk, text, and take awful 640 x 480 pictures. That size of screen and keypad worked pretty well for that.

A flip/clamshell phone involves a flip section nearly, or as big as it's screen.

Now think about what modern phones do. In a word, EVERYTHING, and that's because of a comparatively huge screen.

Also consider the functionality of a touchscreen - it's both an input AND output device. Keyboards are input-only devices, so they need to take up as little space as possible. BlackBerry increased the functionality of the keyboard slightly with the Passport by adding the touch-sensitive layer, but even then the keyboard was squeezed down to only 3 rows.

So to retain any functionality, we need a big screen, and to be a flip phone, we need a flip out section nearly as big as the screen. Stick two Z10s together end to end and see what that would look like. Massive keyboard that does comparatively little, takes up tons of space, and why?

I have no clue why. It makes no sense. Let it go.

Posted via CB10
    Woah buddy, slow down. Flip phone sales are actually on the rise. Especially so in Japan.

Posted via CB10
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    08-04-15 11:40 AM
    I doubt very much as that style was a great seller.
    LOL. None are really great sellers at the moment. At this point I say, WTH! Produce as many good looking, cheap(yeah, high end, wink/wink) BlackBerry Phones and maybe a few of them will sell. I say cheap because anything that is considered a high-end device by some will have a multitude of issues by others. I'd consider taking a Flip(or the Slider when released). But, the Flip probably won't happen.
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 08-04-15 at 01:12 PM.
    08-04-15 12:42 PM
    I have a soft spot for flip phones... in fact right now my secondary line is on an Ericsson T28 World. Circa 1999 but it's wonderfully tiny and still works great!
    08-04-15 01:38 PM
    Probably not, although since every day at BlackBerry HQ is throwback Thursday, that might change.

Posted via CB10
    lnichols likes this.
    08-04-15 01:58 PM
    oh god. flip phones and sliders. BB needs to get with modern times and produce an all-touch phone
    A nice retro re-release of the Startac would probably outsell what they have on the market now. You might be on to something.
    08-08-15 03:20 PM
    A nice retro re-release of the Startac would probably outsell what they have on the market now. You might be on to something.
    Mein Kampf is outselling what they have on the market now...

Posted via CB10
    GadgetTravel likes this.
    08-08-15 03:33 PM
    Mein Kampf is outselling what they have on the market now...

Posted via CB10
    Yes, but they aren't making any money on that.
    08-08-15 03:44 PM
    I loved my blackberry style. I have it on it's stand in my office and I look at it sometimes and miss how awesome it was. The market is extremely stagnant right now in terms of design, everything is a big bar with a screen and even apple is starting to run out of ideas (look at the one m8 that released before the iphone 6) so I could definitely see retro styles of phones coming back. With the flexible displays samsung is making that are very close to being ready for mainstream I guarantee that form factor will come back again.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-15 09:40 PM
    Chen brought your flip phone request before the same f'd focus group that said the Classic was a great way to divert the company's attention to would sell great, and they have approved your flip phone project for go! It will take them a year to get the phone ready and the OS modified for the flip capability like they needed for the Classic. But in the end it will sell awesome!

Posted via Z30
    08-09-15 07:03 AM
    I love the style 9670 so much. But it's even a non-sim one that I can not use it for my carrier. But still addicted to flip phones! Looking forward to a flip BB10 in the future!

Posted via CB10
    That was the worst blackerry phone every. I hope to God they don't try to make a flip phone. How would that even work with a large touch screen. Can you imagine flipping open a passport?

Posted via CB10
    08-11-15 08:04 AM
    BlackBerry needs to get a Full Touch high end BB10 first then a flip phone may Make sense.
    But enough with the niche devices and give people what they want high end all touch BB10.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-15 12:16 PM
40 12