This new Priv looks nice and all, but is anyone else here thinking that a Classic or Passport running Android would be just stellar? Your thoughts on whether there will ever be such a thing? Does anyone here think the current Classic/Passport lineup will ever be upgradable to Android?
    blackmass likes this.
    10-18-15 11:26 AM
    I'd rather hope for a Priv that runs BlackBerry 10 but that'd be by a long shot.

Posted via  Z30 STA100-2 | 10.3.2.2339
    KNEBB and rt2567 like this.
    10-18-15 11:41 AM
    ho! I am just hoping that one day Android could fully run on the PP. By fully i mean in the same way as Priv does and not using snap or patched google services etc... once it runs native on the PP i swear i sell my iPhone 6+ in order to get the PP. If you ask yourself why not the Priv then? easy to answer; the form factor of the PP is the best one i ever used till now! the best ever to my eyes!
    asat1 likes this.
    10-20-15 11:26 AM
    While I would never buy a Passport because it is too wide and has a square screen, I would look at a Q10 with a 4:3 screen running Android.
    10-20-15 12:10 PM
    Yes

Posted via CB10
    10-20-15 12:13 PM
    Android has gone away from 1:1 for phones. BB would have to convince Google to approve such a change and I don't think they'd want to, developers don't want another screen dimension to accommodate. 4:3 would be less than optimal I think for PKB only devices.
    10-20-15 12:39 PM
    Android has gone away from 1:1 for phones. BB would have to convince Google to approve such a change and I don't think they'd want to, developers don't want another screen dimension to accommodate. 4:3 would be less than optimal I think for PKB only devices.
    4:3 common for Android tablets. 1:1 is not optimal unless the screen is around 3 inches on the diagonal. 3.5 is max for a square screen phone in my opinion. The q10 should have been longer but not wider.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-15 01:12 PM
    maybe someone will port Android Priv on PP or any other running 10.3. In the meanwhile i could carry two devices on the go; on ios ( iPhone 4S) for specifics aps and the beloved PP for communications ( all type). not great but feasible; i don't know if that word is correct in english...
    for now just wait and see!
    10-20-15 01:22 PM
    While I would never buy a Passport because it is too wide and has a square screen, I would look at a Q10 with a 4:3 screen running Android.
    Ew

 PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639 
    10-20-15 01:26 PM
    "Will there be a Classic or Passport running Android?"

There may be a very slight possibility of the Blackberry Oslo running it, but this is an obscure rumor that shouldn't be trusted. I'd rather see the next Blackberry device running BB10 anyway.
    10-20-15 01:37 PM
    To those that are saying that the screen ratio wouldn't work, they probably don't have a Passport and / or don't run Android apps on it, if they do.

The 1:1 ratio works just fine for most Android apps and the apps are designed to scale to the different ratios. (As another person mentioned, most Android tablets are 4:3 while their phones are 16:9). With the Passport able to select different scaling and zoom options for running apps, that wouldn't be a problem.

To answer the OP, part of the problem with that would be the actual hardcoding of the chipsets in the devices. I'm no tech guy when it comes to the science behind it all, but I don't believe it would be possible - and definitely not likely - that you will ever see an update to their current devices to install the Android OS on them. It also doesn't make sense financially to BlackBerry. Why give you the newest software on your one or two year old device? If you want the newest, you'll have to buy it. That said, if the Priv does well, I don't think it's that unlikely that you may see future incarnations of the Classic and Passport that would ship with Android. They just won't give you the latest on your older hardware.

To be as blunt as possible: if we didn't get BB10 on the PlayBook, we aren't going to get Android on our existing devices. Sorry.
    10-20-15 01:45 PM
    Well, i already should happy to get a fully working android on BB device... we'll see if it runs all android aps at full speed ( natively).
    10-20-15 02:16 PM
    I don't think that would be a problem. Passport just accomodates the screen to fit. And you can make the adjustment yourself in the settings. Android developers don't have to do anything. Just imagine a shortened screen is all it is...

Posted via CB10
    10-20-15 04:24 PM
    Ew

 PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639 
    Something like this old render would have a great phone.

http://www.google.ca/url?q=http://n4...cKjDMz02Lz7Ouw
    Posted via CB10
    10-20-15 04:31 PM
    For sure in 2016.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-15 02:48 AM
    What a beautiful concept!!
    10-21-15 06:55 AM
    The PP and Classic would both need tweaking (especially the Classic) to run Android in an optimal way. That said, companies are usually reluctant to chuck things out completely and start with a blank slate.

Although BlackBerry-Android OS may come as a shock to some, BlackBerry's approach has been incremental. So, it seems likely that the PP will be released with an Android OS. Likewise, it is plausible that a "Classic v2" with Android OS will make it to the light of day.

It will be interesting to see if BlackBerry continues to bank on PKB phones (and square-ish screens) to differentiate itself from the rest of the pack.

Posted via my Blackberry Classic
    10-21-15 10:58 AM
    Sure, why not.
    10-21-15 10:59 AM
    Afraid so. BlackBerry has invested in Android. We are more likely to see Android in a Passport, Classic or even Z30 form factor than a BB10-powered Z50 with Z30 form factor and upgraded innards.

Posted via CB 10 | STA100-3 Z30 | OS 10.3.2.858
    11-09-15 08:50 PM
    To those that are saying that the screen ratio wouldn't work, they probably don't have a Passport and / or don't run Android apps on it, if they do.

The 1:1 ratio works just fine for most Android apps and the apps are designed to scale to the different ratios. (As another person mentioned, most Android tablets are 4:3 while their phones are 16:9). With the Passport able to select different scaling and zoom options for running apps, that wouldn't be a problem.

To answer the OP, part of the problem with that would be the actual hardcoding of the chipsets in the devices. I'm no tech guy when it comes to the science behind it all, but I don't believe it would be possible - and definitely not likely - that you will ever see an update to their current devices to install the Android OS on them. It also doesn't make sense financially to BlackBerry. Why give you the newest software on your one or two year old device? If you want the newest, you'll have to buy it. That said, if the Priv does well, I don't think it's that unlikely that you may see future incarnations of the Classic and Passport that would ship with Android. They just won't give you the latest on your older hardware.

To be as blunt as possible: if we didn't get BB10 on the PlayBook, we aren't going to get Android on our existing devices. Sorry.
    Hardcoded for chipset - the painful price consumers pay for optimisation of performance over optimisation for portability by proper abstraction of hardware APIs.
    08-13-16 05:06 AM
    Wud'nt it be a better idea to hav a passport / classic with bb10 with an up to date Android runtime, and use open app stores say Aptoide for Android apps ? The apps from the open app store can be passed through a security layer to scan for threats. Using web for emails, open maps for location and so forth.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    BerrySoul likes this.
    08-13-16 09:10 AM
    As a business user for me 1:1 screen is much more convenient for email and messaging apps then 16:9.
    I use media quite rarely and I don't play games at all.

In fact, I dont care about google policies and would install android on PP if one would be available, with or without BlackBerry support.

Best
    A

Posted via CB10
    GraCal likes this.
    08-13-16 09:55 AM
    Well if BlackBerry ever decides to make a tool that can flash their android version into our current BlackBerry 10 devices that would be nice though. People got choices.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    asat1, BerrySoul and JP Barnard like this.
    08-13-16 10:00 AM
    As a business user for me 1:1 screen is much more convenient for email and messaging apps then 16:9.
    I use media quite rarely and I don't play games at all.

In fact, I dont care about google policies and would install android on PP if one would be available, with or without BlackBerry support.

Best
    A

Posted via CB10
    +1

Posted via CB10
    08-13-16 11:53 AM
    Will a BB10 Passport II ever be released?

  
    08-16-16 02:30 AM
34 12