Not many apps are made for the 1:1 resolution, right?

Posted via CB10
    06-28-14 03:02 PM
    It's the same as the Q10, just bigger. Most apps work on the Q just look a little funny.

Posted via tin can telephone
    06-28-14 04:04 PM
    I just hope developers get behind BlackBerry and start making apps!

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums
    06-28-14 04:12 PM
    If BB was smart, they'd include options to run apps pillar-boxed (for portrait) or letter-boxed (for landscape), rather than being forced into full-screen on the 1:1 screen. At least the size and resolution of the Passport's screen would allow that.

Will that happen? We'll have to see.
    06-28-14 04:43 PM
    the passport can fit 1280 x 720 at full size with room to spare.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-14 05:18 PM
    It's the same as the Q10, just bigger. Most apps work on the Q just look a little funny.

I think a more important question will be ... the more developers that work on spending 4mins to use BB's tools to port their Android applications, which will be a trend (ahem Score Mobile), along with Amazon App Store ... the more of a serious problem we will have!!
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    06-28-14 05:21 PM
    I'm interested in this also. It's frustrating using android apps on the Q10 - take viber as an example: Menu items get lost at the top and the bottom!!!! It doesn't scroll round right.

Couple that with the fact that viber isn't officially out for Q devices, doesn't appear in the store and... Well it's bally frustrating. The Q10 is an excellent device and yet is treated poorly, or under utilised.

I really hope this trend doesn't continue with the passport. As said above, it could quite easily have the android app cropped: At least it could be rendered correctly and that would be a better experience than what one experiences on the Q10 now.

I think this is vital especially considering the amazon catalogue is coming. Those apps are not even designed for a square and its all well and good saying it's easy to change using the stuff Blackberry provide it's not being done!

Sent using tapatalk!
    06-28-14 05:41 PM
    If BB was smart, they'd include options to run apps pillar-boxed (for portrait) or letter-boxed (for landscape), rather than being forced into full-screen on the 1:1 screen. At least the size and resolution of the Passport's screen would allow that.

Will that happen? We'll have to see.
    That would just look weird and crappy. I'm sorry, but that's the worst possible idea.

One they suggest can be seen here. I'd put it like in landscape, but I suppose they know what they're doing
    06-28-14 05:43 PM
    The screen is big enough, and high-rez enough, to show an Android app in full portrait, with letterboxing ("black bars") on the side.
    06-28-14 05:44 PM
    That would just look weird and crappy. I'm sorry, but that's the worst possible idea.

One they suggest can be seen here. I'd put it like in landscape, but I suppose they know what they're doing

That's perfect for native apps but what about androids apps?
    app_Developer likes this.
    06-28-14 05:45 PM

Posted via CB10
    ^This

Pasted via CB chen
    06-28-14 07:46 PM

Posted via CB10
    If true than that means it can have apps that are for the Z and Q, which is awesome!

Posted via CB10
    06-29-14 12:34 AM
    Yes that's how it will work.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    06-29-14 01:45 AM
    Yes that's how it will work.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7

Hope so! Are there any pictures of video of anyone loading an android app onto the passport? Anyone with actual hands on experience... Or do you you the device...?

Oooohh... I'd love to try one of these out!
    06-29-14 03:15 AM
    The screen is big enough, and high-rez enough, to show an Android app in full portrait, with letterboxing ("black bars") on the side.
    Who's going to accept that?

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    06-29-14 06:53 AM

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    I think it may be the lesser of two evils, better than nothing... The android implementation is not great. Short of creating a specific ui that accommodates android apps - and this would have to be something that bb10 would have to do automatically as android devs and amazon are not going to be doing anything re blackberry compatibility, and those ports in the store range from good to plain rubbish, if they exist at all (no viber for a square device - does that mean no viber for the passport?) - having the app vertical and scaled tho 4.5" might not be so bad...

Cup half empty and half full or whatever.

This is precisely why I'm asking if anyone has tried it. I won't be as happy as i would be if it worked properly but this would be better than nothing.

As long as blackberry continue to be the only ones making square screens app compatibility will be an issue...
    kbz1960 and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    06-29-14 07:44 AM
    If you're getting the phone you know what you're getting into. Personally, I would like BlackBerry to think about making all phones from now on 16:9 or finding a way to have all apps work on 1:1

Posted via CB10
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    06-29-14 12:32 PM
    If you're getting the phone you know what you're getting into. Personally, I would like BlackBerry to think about making all phones from now on 16:9 or finding a way to have all apps work on 1:1

Posted via CB10

Exactly. Have all phones a standard 16:9 or get the apps working properly - or else the passport screen can show the whole app cropped.

Blackberry are having issues with convincing developers to jump into the bb10 platform. Their solution was to allow side loading of android apps so that developers can get interested ( it's still not official - not until 10.3!!!) this worked for the z series devices but the q ... Not that great all the time. That screen being square is partly to blame.

And now there's the passport. I'm sure the runtime will be solid. The apps on the screen - if this is blackberry's answer to the app gap it had better be proper! Better than it is now.

I'm sure it will be and I must say this phone has really grown on me. This hurdle is the clincher.

So if anyone with this device could side load something like viber... Please share the experience!!!
    06-29-14 02:32 PM

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    This is the trade off when buying a qwerty... you either understand the limitations or buy a full touch device.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    Thunderbuck and anon8091350 like this.
    06-29-14 02:34 PM
    This is the trade off when buying a qwerty... you either understand the limitations or buy a full touch device.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    That is true. They could of made of made a qwerty with a 3.5"-4" screen with a 16:9 or 4:3 ratio, then this wouldn't be a question.

06-29-14 04:06 PM
    That would be worse than the Passport in pretty much every respect
    06-29-14 04:16 PM
    That would be worse than the Passport in pretty much every respect
    If you're referring to my comment, there was more interest in Typo than the passport. I'm not knocking the passport, it's still too early to tell on much interest it will get from consumers. But you can't deny how much buzz Typo got.

06-29-14 06:45 PM
    Although that's not a really fair comparison. Typo got the buzz for being a blackberry style keyboard on the iPhone, not for a long screen + keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-14 07:14 PM
    That is true. They could of made of made a qwerty with a 3.5"-4" screen with a 16:9 or 4:3 ratio, then this wouldn't be a question.

I don't see how that's doable without making it top heavy or a slider. 4:3 wouldn't work.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    06-29-14 07:24 PM
    It got Kevin's vote and many others, and not because it was "BlackBerry" style.

06-29-14 07:33 PM
32 12