Anyone know if there be any new phones released on 7.x BB platform?
    12-05-11 10:46 PM
    Pearl 9150/9160. But RIM is waiting until they can get a cheaper/more efficient varient of the 9360's little ticker.
    12-06-11 08:42 AM
    RIM has officially stated that for a "number" of years it will run both OS's in a kind of two-tiered product line. The BBX OS will run the "superphones" and OS7(+) will run the feature phones. There most probably are some die-hard companies that will want to squeeze every last drop of useful of life from there current crop of devices. Also, you have to consider those who are currently locked into multi-year contracts. So, OS7+ will be around for some time yet.

I suppose at some point OS7+ will be replaced with something like a BBX Lite product.
    Last edited by EchoTango; 12-06-11 at 09:01 AM.
    berrybook likes this.
    12-06-11 08:58 AM
    RIM has officially stated that for a "number" of years it will run both OS's in a kind of two-tiered product line. The BBX OS will run the "superphones" and OS7(+) will run the feature phones. There most probably are some die-hard companies that will want to squeeze every last drop of useful of life from there current crop of devices. Also, you have to consider those who are currently locked into multi-year contracts. So, OS7+ will be around for some time yet.

I suppose at some point OS7+ will be replaced with something like a BBX Lite product.
    Thats cool. I guess then there will be refreshes of the current BB 7.x devices later down the line.
    12-06-11 11:08 AM
    Hadn't heard that. That's great news! If "superphone" means battery-wise, size-wise more like Android, then I don't want one.

"Feature phone" does sound like a step back, but I'll wait and see what those feature phones can do. I'm convinced there is and will be a niche for traditional (long battery, pocked sized, secure, communication-focused, big [expanded] storage) Blackberries, and I'm convinced someone will fill that niche if Blackberry don't.

Come on Blackberry 'Toughbook'! Incorporate new technology, but incorporate it in elegant ways -- the same way cars, toasters, and ironing-boards do.
    12-13-11 09:29 AM
    They say more will come out:

Radio API Hints at More Pre-BBX BlackBerry Hardware?

I'm hoping for a 9799 that will have:

1.5 mhz processor, OS 7.1, FM Radio, 720p or 1080p video recording, 8 megapixel auto-focus sharp camera, 1GB RAM, Bluetooth 3.0, LTE or HSDPA 14.0, and all the stuff etc that it currently has.
    01-08-12 01:58 PM
    The Curve 9360 has a FM tuner, so that article is somewhat incorrect. Mark Sohln is mistaken, or at least misquoted.
    Last edited by grahamf; 01-08-12 at 02:07 PM.
    mithrazor likes this.
    01-08-12 02:00 PM

1.5 mhz processor, OS 7.1, FM Radio, 720p or 1080p video recording, 8 megapixel auto-focus sharp camera, 1GB RAM, Bluetooth 3.0, LTE or HSDPA 14.0, and all the stuff etc that it currently has.
    Sounds great. Knowing RIM that battery should last about 20 minutes.
    01-11-12 05:40 PM
    Sounds great. Knowing RIM that battery should last about 20 minutes.
    And how did you come to that conclusion?
    01-11-12 05:53 PM

If I am not mistaken, it was referring to the curve series. At that point of time when the article was publish, there wasn't any 7.1 os yet. The inclusion of that radio api in 7.1 was probably meant to make use of the radio in the curve.

I don't think RIM should make any entirely new bbos 7 device. Just focus on bb10. From what we're seeing in os 2.0, there is still a lot of work to be done till bb10. Also they need to churn out a full touch screen model first, then followed by a slider or candybar with physical keyboard. I am quite happy with my 9900, and they should just leave it as it is and focus on bb10.
    03-11-12 10:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD