Will it be sort of a mini playbook phone?? Will it have the QNX OS? Is it realistic for the storm4 to be released in early 2011 with these specs?
    09-28-10 11:41 AM
    RIM has shown that they are radically changing their production strategy, so who knows?
    I imagine it will have 80% of the PB's specs, plus 4G (that's all but confirmed)

I doubt it will have HDMI out and a front-facing camera, but it should have 1GB RAM and the same processor, depending on battery life.

Unless the PB has like 20 hours of battery life, the smaller battery of the S4 will mean that limitations have to be imposed.

other than that, the "leaked" s4 image with 4'5" screen + 4G + the PB's specs + decent battery life = the perfect smartphone.
    Last edited by grahamf; 09-28-10 at 01:19 PM.
    09-28-10 01:15 PM
    yeah if it has 1gb of ram, 1ghz processor, 4g, better resolution then not only will RIM not have to worry about keeping its current customers from bailing but it might also be able to attract a few converts from other devices.
    09-28-10 01:56 PM
    Please rim hear our request cram the playbook into the next storm and knock droids and iphones back a few pegs!!!!!
    09-28-10 09:07 PM
    I think the new Storm (or whatever it will be called) will be very similar to the PlayBook.
    There has been lots of rumours of people claiming the new storm will have an OS all to its self... just like what we now know QNX will give us.
    There was a link to a droid site that had a very reputable guy... JLevy or something claiming he had a hands on with it months ago. He said it was running an entirly different OS and did widgets and had a 1 GHz processor. Everything we know the the PlayBook is.
    So yes, I believe the new storm will be a mini version of the PlayBook. But, I think it'll be a year till we see it.
    09-28-10 09:42 PM
    so, the S4 will be the PlayBook Mini?
    09-28-10 09:58 PM
    Sal's early reported Storm 3 specs from late June sure line up with the PlayBook. 1 GHz processor and not running OS 6 but a unique OS of it own.

Blackberry Storm 3 – Early Specs � Salomondrin
    09-28-10 10:37 PM
    There is no chance the Storm4 will use the same processor as the PlayBook. Who need a dual-core processor on its smartphone at the expense of a poor battery life ? The PlayBook is a platform on its own, nothing to do with a Smartphone plateform. It has more processing power, but is more power hungry. And to be fair, what would differentiate a PlayBook from a smartphone is they both use the same hardware and same software appart the size ? It would be a non-sense.
    It is conservative to say that RIM's next generation Smartphone will use 1GHz single core CPU. This should happen sometime early 2011, not before.
    09-29-10 02:04 AM
    There was talk last week about a new type of chip being released that was actually a tri-core chip. Two of the cores ran at 1GHz for raw processing power, and the third ran at the same 624mHz as the S2 for background apps and standby. There was speculation that the S4 would have that because it would keep good battery life but have power when you need it.... like when tethering a PlayBook to the S4G, ya think?
    09-29-10 10:31 AM
    That may all be true or false, but my question is that this is DEVCON, and BB excs are suppose to be talking about the Playbook as well as other devices, so where is talks about the ew Storm? There are only 2 days left of DEVCON, today & tomorrow... so when are talks coming for the new Storm??
    09-29-10 12:50 PM
    There MUST be people there (like Kevin) that are asking them the tough questions about future phones? I am really anxious about the S3 or S4 with LTE.
    09-29-10 01:22 PM
    I think Verizon requested that RIM does not mention the S4G until Verizon is ready to launch their network.
    09-29-10 02:56 PM
    What do you guys do with your phone that it needs so much processing power?

Does your phone mow your lawn? Wtf.
    The current CPU works great!

I think everyone just wants a big e-*****. "Hey my phone has a 5Ghz processor!".. Whoop de firetrucking doo...
    09-29-10 03:01 PM
    That may all be true or false, but my question is that this is DEVCON, and BB excs are suppose to be talking about the Playbook as well as other devices, so where is talks about the ew Storm? There are only 2 days left of DEVCON, today & tomorrow... so when are talks coming for the new Storm??
    You are spot on buddy. This is the time that the next storm should be mentioned to keep everybody on board. Nobody wants to know about it at the end of next year, they want it as of now. It is needed badly to stop the migration of users to android and iphone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-29-10 04:58 PM
    Yes CX posted that we woul see the Marvel Armada 628 chip in a device that would go live Q1 or Q2 2011. So that has 3 cores. I think 2 are 1.5 each and one is 624 or something. Google it.
    It claims a very low power profile as it scales to use. So you don't go 1.5 ghz across 2 cores to type out a text. But when you start gaming or running flash heavy websites while listening to music you don't pin the processor. If you have all been reading about QNX this week you have probably read all about how it is designed to run multi core systems very efficiently.

So I think we will see multicore proc in the S3/S4. There will be multi core andropd devices this fall or early next spring so it is all in line. Plus when you get into LTE and online gaming, video calling/sharing etc. That horse power may be a nevesity.

09-29-10 05:06 PM
    Yes CX posted that we woul see the Marvel Armada 628 chip in a device that would go live Q1 or Q2 2011. So that has 3 cores. I think 2 are 1.5 each and one is 624 or something. Google it.
    It claims a very low power profile as it scales to use. So you don't go 1.5 ghz across 2 cores to type out a text. But when you start gaming or running flash heavy websites while listening to music you don't pin the processor. If you have all been reading about QNX this week you have probably read all about how it is designed to run multi core systems very efficiently.

So I think we will see multicore proc in the S3/S4. There will be multi core andropd devices this fall or early next spring so it is all in line. Plus when you get into LTE and online gaming, video calling/sharing etc. That horse power may be a nevesity.

I was thinking the same thing, as far as I think that is what the Storm4G is getting under the hood. However, I thought it was only 1GHz for each processor. I very well could be wrong tho.

I was just wondering why this didn't get put in the PB as well. Shouldn't they be coming out around the same time? Wouldn't it make sense to put it in the the PB so that it uses only the power it needs? Did I hear that the PB has its own video card, and that's maybe why it doesn't need it?
    09-30-10 08:16 AM
    You were right Engine... it is 1.5GHz.
    09-30-10 08:18 AM
    This is a good read on chips:

ARM's Race: Why your next laptop might not have Intel inside | ZDNet

And here is the blurb about the ARM 628 and the Playbook:
    The BlackBerry Playbook, which RIM announced this week, will use a 1GHz dual-core A9, though for now the company isn�t saying which one. Most BlackBerries use Marvell processors. Both Marvell and Qualcomm are among a handful of companies that have ARM architectural licenses, meaning they can design chips that are compatible with the ARM v7-A instruction set, but are customized from the ground up rather than starting with ARM Cortex cores. This allows these companies to design processors that operate at faster speeds and/or more efficiently, though the design process takes longer and is more costly.

Last week, Marvell announced the latest addition to its Armada line. The Armada 628 has three general processing cores-two running at 1.5GHz for high-performance and one operating at 624MHz for low-power-plus six additional accelerators for 3D graphics, video encoding and decoding, audio, encryption and image processing. It is currently sampling, but Marvell hasn�t announced when it will be in production.
    So it doesn't look like any deliverable in Q1 would have the Armada 628 since it may not even be in production yet. But if RIM is going to add this to a device already in testing, and just swap out the chips, that shows a real commitment to having the best possible hardware. Hopefully it won't delay the S3/S4 release.
    09-30-10 12:22 PM
    Shouldn't we have heard something regarding the new storm at devcon?!? We have pretty much no information on the next storm device, which is the complete opposite in regards to the previous storms. I for one, as I imagine many, are growing tiresome of waiting for information to make a decision before deciding to go android. I love my blackberry storm 2, love surepress, however am frustrated paying similar $ for inferior technology that remains static and refuses to grow (or upgrades very minimally)..... If the next storm is similar to the playbook, with the OS, and dual cameras, I'm on board 100% and will wait a few more months..... Just give us some damn info!
    10-02-10 12:58 PM
    Shouldn't we have heard something regarding the new storm at devcon?!? We have pretty much no information on the next storm device, which is the complete opposite in regards to the previous storms. I for one, as I imagine many, are growing tiresome of waiting for information to make a decision before deciding to go android. I love my blackberry storm 2, love surepress, however am frustrated paying similar $ for inferior technology that remains static and refuses to grow (or upgrades very minimally)..... If the next storm is similar to the playbook, with the OS, and dual cameras, I'm on board 100% and will wait a few more months..... Just give us some damn info!
    Yeah the fact that we didn't hear anything at devcon makes me skeptical about the next storm being released in the next 5-6 months.
    10-05-10 08:20 PM
    There is absolutely no way you introduce a 3rd or 4th generation device alongside a device that is going to save your consumer segment. You don't want the Storm within 10 miles of the Playbook at DevCon.

It'll get its fanfare but there is absolutely no reason that the 4 can't be ready for LTE in January, eveneven the Holidays.

10-06-10 04:53 PM
    There is absolutely no way you introduce a 3rd or 4th generation device alongside a device that is going to save your consumer segment. You don't want the Storm within 10 miles of the Playbook at DevCon.

It'll get its fanfare but there is absolutely no reason that the 4 can't be ready for LTE in January, eveneven the Holidays.
    I sure hope you are correct...with Verizon announcing its LTE network ready by the end of 2010 in major cities, what is stopping RIM from getting that StormLTE out for the holidays??
    10-07-10 06:37 AM
    I sure hope you are correct...with Verizon announcing its LTE network ready by the end of 2010 in major cities, what is stopping RIM from getting that StormLTE out for the holidays??
    Verizon is. They want to announce the handsets at CTIA in Vegas in January. The S3 is going to have to be very impressive sitting next to Android and WP7 counterparts. Oh and the VZW 4G iPhone.

They can't have it be vaporware. They will have have a sub event at CTIA. Where they show it off and give hands on. Then it needs to be on sale the next day.

10-07-10 06:44 AM
    Verizon is. They want to announce the handsets at CTIA in Vegas in January. The S3 is going to have to be very impressive sitting next to Android and WP7 counterparts. Oh and the VZW 4G iPhone.

They can't have it be vaporware. They will have have a sub event at CTIA. Where they show it off and give hands on. Then it needs to be on sale the next day.
    I just can't believe they don't want the holiday sales/exposure; it's almost anti-climatic!
    10-07-10 06:58 AM
    I just can't believe they don't want the holiday sales/exposure; it's almost anti-climatic!
    But it'll save me some money for holiday gifts.
    10-15-10 02:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD