So far the rumoured and launced BB7 devices are:
    Bold Touch
    Torch 2
    Monaco/Monza
    Curve Touch
    Apollo/Sedona
    Orlando (touchscreen Apollo)

what's interesting is that the Apollo/Sedona is the ONLY non-touch device. That leads me to believe that RIM is putting a bigger emphasis on touchscreen devices, and most likely all will be touch in the future.

And the Orlando sorta gives a possibility: it is simply a touchscreen version of the Apollo, and could possibly replace the Apollo before finalization. So far it seems the two are identical, so it's possible for RIM to be working on the Apolo, and if they decide to make it a touchscreen they simply need to slap one in and tweak some things.

It'll also fit into this:

thoughts?

And yes, I ment to place this in "Upcoming devices". sorry.
    Last edited by grahamf; 05-07-11 at 07:17 PM.
    05-07-11 07:05 PM
    It will be interesting to see when QNX is on handhelds whether or not they do away with the buttons (besides the keyboard). It is definitely possible but they stated they want to keep a lot of the things current users love, and I think that might includes the buttons. I guess we will see. I for one wouldn't mind losing the buttons since it means more screen real estate, but only if they found a way to keep it very easy to use.
    05-07-11 08:36 PM
    It's always seemed to me that OS6+ was really meant for touchscreens. It's just so awkward to move the trays and things with a trackpad. I figure they already planned to move to touchscreens when they designed the OS6 interface.
    05-07-11 09:02 PM
    It will be interesting to see when QNX is on handhelds whether or not they do away with the buttons (besides the keyboard). It is definitely possible but they stated they want to keep a lot of the things current users love, and I think that might includes the buttons. I guess we will see. I for one wouldn't mind losing the buttons since it means more screen real estate, but only if they found a way to keep it very easy to use.
    I hope they never get rid of the buttons and trackpad. they're just too damn useful.
    05-07-11 10:57 PM
    I seem to remember that the initial Orlando leaks that had being the curve touch and tbh I think in their haste to get an exclusive that the blogs have messed that one up because releasing an apollo and an apollo touch that offered nothing extra beyond the touchscreen wouldn't make any sense since the amount of sales it would add would be negligble.

It wouldn't surprise me if all the 2012 models including all the curves had a touchscreen, but I think this year the basic model curve will only be available without a touchscreen unless you go for the curve touch model.

Talking about the curve touch, it will be interesting to see who that is aimed at since it is presumably going to be about the same size as the screen on the Torch and I have to say that I couldn't use a Torch fulltime if it didn't also have a keyboard as the screen is a little too small to be comfortable typing on it. Perhaps the curve touch is another device like the Pearls that is more aimed at converting more people to smartphones since those are typically using touchscreen only devices rather than the candybars that the Pearl was akin to at that time.

There is one obvious gap in your table, the midrange unless carriers kept the torch for sale and positioned it there, but maybe there are still more surprises due from rim this year, perhaps we will see a style with a touchscreen or maybe a 9700 with a touch screen, they could have a higher spec than the curves but less than that of the main three new devices and thus slot in the middle quite nicely for any carriers who wanted a more complete range.
    05-08-11 04:59 AM
    noway, keyboard has its advantage in very function, those most people would like to choose a touchscreen for playing games or watching videoes.
    05-09-11 07:28 PM
    noway, keyboard has its advantage in very function, those most people would like to choose a touchscreen for playing games or watching videoes.
    Or web browsing, gps/map navigation, document proofing, spreadsheet editing, better calendar organization/representation, greatly enhanced email presentation... and numerous other reasons.
    05-09-11 07:42 PM
    Or web browsing, gps/map navigation, document proofing, spreadsheet editing, better calendar organization/representation, greatly enhanced email presentation... and numerous other reasons.
    or to unify their OS and reduce the amount of required development and testing time.
    05-09-11 10:14 PM
    i think touch is the natural progression for any device moving forward.The bold touch should be the standard for keyboard blackberries. I have always felt that intuition to touch the icons that I want to select when I look at my Bold's screen. It just makes the user more efficiant and it makes the blackberry more "techy"
    05-10-11 01:51 AM
    I would just like to see Blackberry make ANY move!
    05-10-11 06:05 AM
    that is true.... so far.... NOTHING is out yet or iminantly coming out. Very frustrating!
    05-10-11 11:21 AM
    I just really hope, in general, that phones continue to have physical keys and keyboards along with touch screens.

I don't want to go all touch.
    05-10-11 12:47 PM
    I just really hope, in general, that phones continue to have physical keys and keyboards along with touch screens.

I don't want to go all touch.
    As long as it has a trackpad for selecting things, I'd be OK I think now with an all-touch phone. I can actually type faster on a Storm than on my 9650, but if I make a mistake on the Storm and need to correct it, I'd rather backspace over entire sentences than struggle with selecting text to edit with my fingers.

It looks like the Monaco might be just about perfect with the big screen AND trackpad.
    05-10-11 12:53 PM
    I would really not want all touch. It's so frustrating....I hate typing even a short message. I'd kill something if I had to type a long message on one.
    05-10-11 01:18 PM
    All I am saying is this: the candybar qwerty form factor is the most perfect phone design, ever. (To me.) So I'd like to see MORE phones like this across all platforms. This slide out kb or all touch bull**** is just that, bull****. (To me.)
    05-10-11 01:28 PM
    Well, I love my Torch!
    05-10-11 01:47 PM
    Well, I love my Torch!
    I can understand that. I actually really like my girl's Torch. However the candy bar form factor is slept on.

But if there was a Torch phone for VZW, I'd consider it.
    05-10-11 01:52 PM
    I actually like almost all form factors except that the all touchscreen is my least favourite. I do like the candy bar very much.
    rollingrock1988 likes this.
    05-10-11 03:28 PM
    gawd, I hope RIM never goes full touchscreen. That would be the kiss of death IMO

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-13-11 12:30 AM
    gawd, I hope RIM never goes full touchscreen. That would be the kiss of death IMO
    I meant "all touch", as in "all devices are touch" no "all devices only have touch screens"

so far it's looking like the curve will not have touch. kinda makes sense as it'll be a little cheaper, but will BB eventually transition to all devices having touch capabilities?
    Last edited by grahamf; 05-31-11 at 04:47 AM.
    05-31-11 04:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD