Just wondering if RIM will ever "up" the mega pixels for the camara, seems all the new blackberries that are comming out are 3.2. Sony has the ericsson which is 8mp... Does anyone know or think RIM will follow suit and update the camara

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-05-09 12:32 PM
    Yes, they will. All companies will continue to increase the camera pixel densities.

09-05-09 12:42 PM
    My friend's Tour with the 3.2 auto focus really takes a nice pic...I was happy with the 2.0 on my 8330 until I took a pic with his.
    09-05-09 01:04 PM
    I love the quality of the BlackBerry cameras. My Bold has has a 2MP camera and its way better quality than my old Sony Ericsson which has 2MP too.
    09-05-09 01:10 PM
    I don't see why they should. All they ever get is praise and have their Kool-Aid
    get dranken so they have no incentive to.
    09-05-09 01:11 PM
    Its nice to have the camera as a feature, but let's face it, if you are looking for a high quality image, a camera phone isn't going to be the top choice. With that being said; I leave my camera at home all the time because its easier to snap a quick pic on my BB.

09-05-09 01:24 PM
    I'm sure they'll increase the MP with the next wave of new bb. I like my 8900s camera but I honestly never use it.

09-05-09 02:04 PM
    as they dive into the consumer market farther and farther, things like camera resolution, video resolution, etc will all be a focus...

personally i think they have more important things to focus on, like UI, and maybe writing a solid OS that can take advantage of the existing hardware that are on current phones...that sort of stuff. the rest will fall into place...
    09-05-09 02:23 PM
    I agree with Patches, in that RIM needs to continue focusing on improved internet browsing and their models OS, before addressing something like the camera hardware.

I'm sure megapixel counts will continue to go up - but not necessarily improve what I usually get when I use a mobile device to take a picture... To say "Junky-looking", certainly. But I expect that.
    Megapixel-counts when it comes to digital photography might be one of the LEAST important ascects of a good camera - though it's easier to sway consumers into believing "more is better" and any camera with a higher megapixel count MUST be better than a lower megapixel count.

Not always so.
    First off, the cruddy little sensor on your mobile device is probably a CCD type. It's about as cheap and basic as they get. Better quality cameras use CMOS sensors.

The image processor chipset that takes what the sensor "sees" and translates it into a viewable image is extremely important - better (more expensive) processors and firmware will give you pictures with low noise even in dim light, improved color accuracy, better contrasts, sharper resolution, etc.

A camera with somewhat intelligent light-metering and autofocus will give you more consistant good photographs than what most mobile devices hand you - which is usually pretty damn poor.

So megapixel count isn't everything - but that's the quandry for mobile devices... It's about all they can offer for "camera improvements" without blowing the price of the device into the stratosphere - because if a Storm 2 or 3 offered TTL light metering, a 10mpxl CMOS sensor with a Digic 4 processor and functions like exposure and autofocus-lock, it'd probably cost $900 - $1000.

HQ Glass lense elements with an optical zoom mechanism? You can add about $200 to that figure, I'd reason.

Google "CIGS sensor" sometime to see what the future may hold for digital photography, why your BlackBerry might come equipped with nightvision someday.
    Last edited by Digital_Cataclysm; 09-05-09 at 04:55 PM.
    09-05-09 04:41 PM
    fyi its not a camera phone
    its an email phone
    09-05-09 04:47 PM
    The #1 factor in image quality is the lens, the rest is pretty much secondary.
    09-05-09 05:10 PM
    The #1 factor in image quality is the lens, the rest is pretty much secondary.
    Agreed. You want a really great camera, buy a real one.
    09-05-09 05:13 PM
    I love the quality of the BlackBerry cameras. My Bold has has a 2MP camera and its way better quality than my old Sony Ericsson which has 2MP too.
    Oh, come on... You can't possibly "love" the quality of 2MP. I love my BB, but the photo quality flat-out sucketh.
    09-05-09 07:56 PM
    My storm has 3.2MP. But a few of the best pix I've ever taken we're with 1.3MP or 2.0MP. The difference is lighting, stability and contrast.

09-05-09 08:00 PM
    Ok.. I love my BB and I do have a decent digital camara, I never really started this to start the whole "a BB should have the greatest camara!" I just know when I'm out with my two year old son and I'm sorry but I don't always have my camara around, and I love having my phone take pics!

09-05-09 08:00 PM
    I would like to see RIM increase the pixel count AND provide a high quality lens matching the best already out there in camera phones. However I don't want them to make this their top priority or to try and turn the bb into something which can compete with a real camera, because as an earlier post suggests this is mission impossible. I use my BOLD a lot for many things but actually have only ever used the camera for a couple of contact pics.

09-05-09 08:22 PM
    my curve takes really good pictures! after i touch them up on photobucket, they look like a real camera could have taken them.
    09-05-09 10:19 PM
    The upcoming nokia 72 is gonna have 5MP cam (e71x has 3.2) and those pics are amazing quality (on e71) even tho the phone is thin as **** and at a good price. So I'd like to see blackberry step it up at least a little bit. They're certainly capable and it wouldn't require too much focus.
    09-05-09 10:45 PM
    Meh.. I think the 3.2 MP is amazing already... would b great if they "up" it more in the future. Technology these days is crazy
    09-05-09 11:00 PM
    Wait, wait, wait...are you saying that my Bold has a camera, too?!
    09-05-09 11:08 PM
    MPs aren't really going to help a camera phone. Better optics are really more important once you get above the 3 MP range.
    09-07-09 08:49 PM
    to me- they don't need to. i have a blackberry tour & the camera is flawless.
    09-07-09 08:50 PM
    I don't think the MP really matters it is more on autofocus.
    From my understanding mp only comes into play when you need to blow an image up. On a standard pic or cellphone screen or even a comp wallpaper it would look great with a great auto focus and an awesome whitebalance and glare reducer

09-07-09 10:35 PM
    5-8mp variable aparture with a stronger led flash would be nice
    09-08-09 02:53 AM
    I find that my 8320 takes some really good pics in daylight and not so bad in the dark. Only thing I would want them to improve is to add a sports setting for taking pics of faster moving objects.
    For a 2 mp camera is very very good. I think 3.2 would be enough for desktop viewing and regular printing.

09-08-09 03:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD