if we get enough people to say "no" will you go away?
    NO!!! Is he still there?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-01-11 08:34 AM
    "My Android is better than your BlackBerry"

"No way, My BlackBerry is better"

"My Android is faster"

"Yeah, well my BlackBerry is more secure."

It'll never end.
    03-01-11 08:42 AM
    Here's how it is.

Different platforms work for different people. I'm a BlackBerry user for the long run. It's a nice platform and it just works. Android is based on Linux from what I have heard. I have used Linux, I couldn't even do something as simple as install a tar.gz, and that was WITH reading several How-Tos about it.
    03-01-11 08:52 AM
    If you read the interviews given by the VP, he talks about the playbook qnx OS and says "Thats a lot of 6.0 in there".

Then he goes on to talk about the markets in India and China and how many millions of devices they can sell there. Only when referring to the consumer market does he shed light on the superphones and says they are a long way away. Its all in print, you just have to look it up. Im not saying qnx stinks, but if its "a lot of 6.0", it has a chance to be bad
    Might be talking about look and feel vs the amount of java code embedded in QNX.

03-01-11 09:04 AM
    Security disasters? Please name some of these "disasters" which have befouled the Android/iPhone platform. Is there widespread bank info hacking occuring? Identity theft? Contact info being stolen and contacts being spammed with texts? (Oh wait..that's RIM and JaredCo..nvm).

And crappy hardware? You're right..RIM doesn't need to catch up there..they've been leading the pack for 2 years in that category.
    Gizmodo, the Gadget Guide
    03-01-11 09:13 AM
    +1 the malware writers are a busy bunch.

03-01-11 09:18 AM
    That article was wrote 6 months ago...and i've yet to hear anything "disastrous" come about. Maybe when "hackers" can start hacking your bank account and transfering money via Paypal or something...then I will start worrying.

"Disastrous" isn't a light term. I'm not saying anything's fool proof, and things won't happen in the future..but to call a platforms security "disastrous" to me needs some serious backing up.
    03-01-11 09:36 AM
    That article was wrote 6 months ago...and i've yet to hear anything "disastrous" come about. Maybe when "hackers" can start hacking your bank account and transfering money via Paypal or something...then I will start worrying.

"Disastrous" isn't a light term. I'm not saying anything's fool proof, and things won't happen in the future..but to call a platforms security "disastrous" to me needs some serious backing up.

Genrally Blackberry is a more secure platform than the iPhone.
    Blackberry is an encrypted military-grade security platform, with 100% market share at FBI, CIA, White House, Congress, Department of Defense, major consultancies and major investment banks. In contrast, iPhone has security vulnerabilities.

Here is a link to a PDF document with details as to why the Blackberry is the only platform approved for use in our national security agencies. It compares against the iPhone and Microsoft Mobile platforms.
    03-01-11 10:00 AM
    Genrally Blackberry is a more secure platform than the iPhone.
    Blackberry is an encrypted military-grade security platform, with 100% market share at FBI, CIA, White House, Congress, Department of Defense, major consultancies and major investment banks. In contrast, iPhone has security vulnerabilities.

Here is a link to a PDF document with details as to why the Blackberry is the only platform approved for use in our national security agencies. It compares against the iPhone and Microsoft Mobile platforms.
    Rim made there servers that more secure for the government, and you only get that security if you are on a BES not the BIS. Correct me if I'm wrong pls.
    03-01-11 10:58 AM
    Rim made there servers that more secure for the government, and you only get that security if you are on a BES not the BIS. Correct me if I'm wrong pls.
    I think you get it with BIS as well. That's why there was such a stink with BB's and RIM's service in India a while back ... encryption as delivered didn't allow big brother to snoop on Joe Nobody.
    03-01-11 11:02 AM
    BIS is not secure like BES at all. There are far more secuity features with BES over BIS
    juan1158 likes this.
    03-01-11 11:08 AM
    You are probably right on that. It just seemed like RIM was not in any hurry to be competitive in the consumer market until thier dual processor devices are ready to lauch and they are concentrating on other markets to hold on to thier business community market share. Only after they lock that down does it seem like they will focus on these so called superphones. Its part of thier 10 year plan
    Yes that is what they are referring to when they say its a lot of OS6. They have said they wanted to keep the feel of the Blackberry OS in QNX, which is why they kept the views that are found in OS6. The superphones they are referring to are QNX on handhelds. They have said that QNX really works well with dual core, so thats what they are going to have when they port QNX to phones. QNX is definitely a completely different OS, just has a similar set up running on top to feel like a Blackberry.
    03-01-11 12:21 PM
    another mensa member I see
    another a@@@@@e I see.

03-01-11 12:59 PM
    RIM doesn't have to catch up to anybody. Of course there's still room for improvement, even with QNX. But I trust that they have taken steps to keep themselves relevent and will continue to do so.
    03-01-11 01:02 PM
    I'm guessing if your friend is doing that many battery pulls..then he doesn't really know much about his phone or the platform. Battery pulls are rarely needed or advised. A simple reboot is all that is ever needed. And besides..he could probably pull the battery 10 times and still not equal the amount of time it takes to pull your Storm battery once..
    I am sure your right about that, he is not the sharpest tool in the shed. I have told him about android central many times and he doesn't bother. Still doesn't negate the fact he should be able to just use his phone out of the box w out these issues. I hardly ever do a battery pull on my storm. This could be that I am one of the "lucky" ones and maybe he has a bad handset idk. I do thank you and will pass on the info to him not to pull his battery.

03-01-11 02:00 PM
    its a bad handset or he is running a task killer and shouldnt be....GD VZW idiots
    03-01-11 02:06 PM
    will RIM catch up? IMO yes when these new devices come out at the end of the year they have cought up. And IMO when the QNX BB's come out other manufactureres will be playing catch up. those who think RIM will go away or die are just plain stupid, you have any idea how much RIM has in world market share? ya as a business they are way ahead of the game, they may not be the hottest phone now but there holding there own.
    03-01-11 02:11 PM
    will RIM catch up? IMO yes when these new devices come out at the end of the year they have cought up. And IMO when the QNX BB's come out other manufactureres will be playing catch up. those who think RIM will go away or die are just plain stupid, you have any idea how much RIM has in world market share? ya as a business they are way ahead of the game, they may not be the hottest phone now but there holding there own.
    yes i do

Symbian 37.6%
    Android 22.7%
    RIM 16.0%
    Apple 15.7%
    MS 4.2%
    Other 3.8%
    03-01-11 02:19 PM
    Catch up in what? Revenue? Technology? Games?

This is a dumb topic that just keeps getting rehashed.

Here's the simple answer.

There's nothing to catch up to. A blackberry is different for a reason, for different people, different uses. Technology wise, a processor doesn't make it what it is...its the functionality and speed of that functionality.

Do they need to catch up in revenue? I doubt it.

They're in competition for market share I would assume...overall market share...not as a direct competitor of other phones.

Iphones and Androids are more in competition with eachother. That's the only question that needs to be asked. Who will emerge at the top between those two.
    03-01-11 02:36 PM
    yes i do

Symbian 37.6%
    Android 22.7%
    RIM 16.0%
    Apple 15.7%
    MS 4.2%
    Other 3.8%
    So that puts RIM at number 2 behind Nokia since Android is spread amongst numerous competitors. And Symbian is rolling over to MS, so based on this list, RIM is playing catch up with WP7. (Insert something about statistics and bikinis here).
    03-01-11 10:11 PM
    I figured you could come with something a little better than that, but the IQ level must not permit it. Stay tough Mary
    I have learned in life that people who question others intelligence aren't very intelligent themselves. And how is the veiw from your high horse professor?

03-01-11 10:13 PM
    His schtick is to provoke fights then cry foul, pay lip service to mods, then continue provoking in other threads. He's on the same vein as a certain group of trolls.
    BIS does not have anywhere the same features as BES. That said, being an open platform, Android has the potential for more hacking activity.
    *As a matter of personal opinion* I prefer RIM's model. I am extremely uneasy about the jailbreak and rooting community, which is the reason I will not jailbreak my iP5 and I will be the last manager at my agency to move away from BES if/when other platforms are brought into secure networks. If a choice exists, I will use BES.
    And the day my agency moves away from BES is *not* in clear sight.

03-02-11 06:19 AM
    Not a current affairs follower I guess?
    Ahhh..I love the internets..even the bad ones
    03-02-11 10:10 AM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD