I am wondering if anyone has heard whether RIM is entertaining the idea of managing phone updates like the playbook? i know so many people that have never updated their phone because their carrier is so far behind. With the Playbook, all of us are up to date.
    06-02-11 09:12 PM
    I doubt it, phones are a different ball game than a standalone device like this version of the Playbook that doesn't utilize any cellular network.
    06-02-11 09:15 PM
    They need to. Carrier updates are horrible for the customers.
    06-02-11 09:16 PM
    Don't rule it out. a certain percentage could be updated outside the carrier.
    06-02-11 09:45 PM
    We might see it... when QNX hits the handhelds.
    06-02-11 09:54 PM
    Phones have other crap to deal with like radio software and various other optimizations. They might be able to update some particular apps but I would be surprised if you saw large OS iterations pushed without carrier approval...
    06-03-11 12:44 AM
    Phones have other crap to deal with like radio software and various other optimizations. They might be able to update some particular apps but I would be surprised if you saw large OS iterations pushed without carrier approval...
    Why not?
    Apple does it with the iPhone.
    06-03-11 01:20 AM
    the iphone does its testing with VZW and ATT though too. Remember they only do 1 major revision a year and the rest are small patches for the most part.

If anything RIM could adopt that type of process where you get your bigger OS installs with complete carrier testing while they also can move to a "patching" to take care of minor bugs or whatever
    06-03-11 04:29 AM
    Since QNX is a micro-kernel, they could update parts of the OS without touching the Crypto Kernel, and keep the security certs. Was in a meeting with Cisco a few years talking about the QNX based router OS and they said that they could update just one process, like the OSPF process, without affecting the rest of the router and without taking down service. Same should be true of a phone or Playbook OS.
    06-03-11 06:46 AM
    Why not?
    Apple does it with the iPhone.
    Yeah you're kidding yourself if you think the OS updates do no carrier testing...
    06-03-11 01:17 PM
    Since QNX is a micro-kernel, they could update parts of the OS without touching the Crypto Kernel, and keep the security certs. Was in a meeting with Cisco a few years talking about the QNX based router OS and they said that they could update just one process, like the OSPF process, without affecting the rest of the router and without taking down service. Same should be true of a phone or Playbook OS.
    It's more complicated than simply "can" or "can't" though. Carrier customizations are part of OS updates for example. That and if you change anything that affects phone performance, reception, battery life, etc, it's essentially a carrier problem... They are going to get the support calls and returns/exchanges.
    06-03-11 01:21 PM
    RIM SUCK!!!!!!!!! ... but the sad thing is, it's still my favorit cellphone-brand! :'(

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Kuhns likes this.
    06-03-11 01:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD