I'm actually so looking forward to the new BB10 to hit Malaysia. I WAS using a Bold9700 but when my contract ended, I switched to S3, which to me is not a very smart smartphone.

I don't know about the rest of the world, but here in Malaysia, we pay a so called license fee just to use data on the BB. Depending on carriers, I was paying every month RM38 (USD12 )on top of my data and voice plan. That's a few hundred bucks for security....

This is the reason why BB has never really catch on with the Malaysian smartphones users. I really hope RIM will drop the BIS so that potential BB buyers will not be put off with the additional burden.

Anyway, just wanna see the BB10 ASAP in Malaysia......
    01-09-13 09:31 PM
    There's been discussion of making BIS an option, but nothing definitive. They did lower the carrier the carrier fee recently, but based on what you say your charged, I'd say you have more issue with your provider than RIM.
    01-09-13 09:49 PM
    what seems to be bothering you with the BIS? would you mind explaining to me more? I'm p aying RM8 (USD 2.6) weekly for my BIS plan(100MB) and have no complian. BB give you the cheapest option for internet package here in Malaysia compare to other smartphones internet package, in my opinion. Honestly since I'm using BB with BIS.. I've save a lot, Rarely makes phone calls or text messages nowadays. BBM,whatsapp,email,fb,tweeter are really useful with BIS.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    01-09-13 10:07 PM
    RIM will probably have to set up BIS as an optional feature in other countries in the future where we can choose to pay for the full service or get a limited version of it for free. Something like that, say on BB10 it has full active sync support but you have to pay for BIS to get the IMAP support and more varied features. Also BIS would come with push notifications for twitter and Facebook rather than having go log in all the time. More cloud services oriented, some carriers might just include it into the data package.
    01-09-13 11:00 PM
    that's cheap. i pay the equivalent of 20usd every month on top of a normal plan for bis. which i agree is bs. i also carry an additional non-bis data plan because my carrier said rim does not allow youtube streaming on bis.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-09-13 11:22 PM
    oh wow, I must say I'm quite lucky to enjoy this privilege. For the record my carrier is called Celcom Xpax prepaid. By any chance you guys are in Malaysia and want to use your blackberry with BIS, I suggest to use Celcom Xpax. I'm working in a Hotel line and I must say I always reckon my foreign guest to use Celcom xpax. You tube wise is not adviceable as you only have 100MB per week. Heck, is easy to connect to free WiFi around here if you want to stream some videos. So I hope this BIS thingy still remains even with BB10 later on.

01-10-13 02:16 AM
    BBM will likely continue to rely on BIS.
    01-10-13 02:32 AM
    As a fellow Malaysian, I think you got a bad offer. Even on my postpaid I'm only charged RM10 (USD3) per month for BIS on top of my internet package, which is about RM70 (USD20)

On an another perspective, BIS is one of RIM's cash cows, even if the amount is small.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    01-10-13 02:38 AM
    As a fellow Malaysian, I think you got a bad offer. Even on my postpaid I'm only charged RM10 (USD3) per month for BIS on top of my internet package, which is about RM70 (USD20)

On an another perspective, BIS is one of RIM's cash cows, even if the amount is small.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

hi badiyee,

That's a good deal, mind sharing what carrier are you using?

01-10-13 03:02 AM
    oh wow, I must say I'm quite lucky to enjoy this privilege. For the record my carrier is called Celcom Xpax prepaid. By any chance you guys are in Malaysia and want to use your blackberry with BIS, I suggest to use Celcom Xpax. I'm working in a Hotel line and I must say I always reckon my foreign guest to use Celcom xpax. You tube wise is not adviceable as you only have 100MB per week. Heck, is easy to connect to free WiFi around here if you want to stream some videos. So I hope this BIS thingy still remains even with BB10 later on.

same here bro, I'm using RM25 per mth for my 9900. 250mb/mth with Celcom Xpax Prepaid is more than enough for me.... & as for OP, i somewhat disagree with the idea of omitting BIS from future BBs. I had the chance to ask some of my friends about not having BIS in BBs, it turned out that EVERYONE in the crowd STILL prefer having BIS. Coz that's how we see BBs when it first came here, that's the character of our BBs. Although there are some disadvantages, but it just seems unacceptable not having BIS in our BBs. Not everybody can afford using Postpaid plans u see...
    01-10-13 03:13 AM
    From what I gather, for any BB's sold under the legacy OS, they will still require BIS. For the new line using BB10, it will be optional, or tiered, depending on what your needs and wants are.

@sexybabe88, I don't know what your carrier is telling you, or how they work over there but Youtube works just fine for me and millions of others without have a second plan with our carriers.
    01-10-13 06:32 AM
    same here bro, I'm using RM25 per mth for my 9900. 250mb/mth with Celcom Xpax Prepaid is more than enough for me.... & as for OP, i somewhat disagree with the idea of omitting BIS from future BBs. I had the chance to ask some of my friends about not having BIS in BBs, it turned out that EVERYONE in the crowd STILL prefer having BIS. Coz that's how we see BBs when it first came here, that's the character of our BBs. Although there are some disadvantages, but it just seems unacceptable not having BIS in our BBs. Not everybody can afford using Postpaid plans u see...
    ignore the postpaid plans part...BIS has nothing to do with that.... sorry
    01-10-13 08:26 AM
    Wonder if the Prepaid Plans here in the US will have to go to a tiered system for data since most of the carriers are doing it now? Most that I've seen include unlimited data, but if you want to have a Blackberry plan they actually charge more - most likely to cover the additional License Fees that RIM charges.
    01-10-13 08:36 AM
    I still say that $50/mo for BlackBerry unlimited everything that Simple Mobile charges is bar none the bees knees for the US. Avoiding the tiered system is how these MVNOs are making their real money by gaining more and more customers. The extra charge for BIS should be worth it if you view it as an extra layer of security, which is a paramount issue to alot of people and thus one good reason for choosing a BlackBerry in the first place.
    01-10-13 04:27 PM
    From what I gather, for any BB's sold under the legacy OS, they will still require BIS. For the new line using BB10, it will be optional, or tiered, depending on what your needs and wants are.

@sexybabe88, I don't know what your carrier is telling you, or how they work over there but Youtube works just fine for me and millions of others without have a second plan with our carriers.
    in NA you don't pay for bis. your carrier pays a fee to rim for the service and in some sense, "subsidizes" it. and that's why selling blackberry is less profitable.

in other places, the cost is pushed to the consumer and some carriers even add a premium on top of it to profit additionally.

01-10-13 10:13 PM
    in NA you don't pay for bis. your carrier pays a fee to rim for the service and in some sense, "subsidizes" it. and that's why selling blackberry is less profitable.

in other places, the cost is pushed to the consumer and some carriers even add a premium on top of it to profit additionally.

Nothing is subsidized...
    01-10-13 10:17 PM
    The way it's supposed to work, is running on RIM's servers, with compressed data, saves the carrier money, which should make up for the BIS costs they incur. Obviously, some parts of the world would prefer to take advantage of their customers.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    01-10-13 11:22 PM
    The way it's supposed to work, is running on RIM's servers, with compressed data, saves the carrier money, which should make up for the BIS costs they incur. Obviously, some parts of the world would prefer to take advantage of their customers.
    The no contract GSM plans vary on that. You have a choice of Simple Mobile at $50 a month, whether it's straight data or BIS. Then, T-Mobile's three tier no contract plans charge an extra $10 a month for BIS.
    01-11-13 12:38 AM
    From what I've read, and what RIM has posted, BIS will still be there for email, push, and data compression. Switching to BB10 won't get rid of that - BIS/BES will still be a part of their operation. The question is how it will be charged.
    01-11-13 06:32 AM
    they have mentioned making bis optional with a pick and choose what services you use.
    but having used it, i want to keep what i have now.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    01-11-13 09:28 AM
    sort of wish RIM would have told us flat out what the service fee change is going to be. Now we had the stock drop after the last earnings call because of the vague information, and likely another drop after they fully admit to what the change is.
    01-11-13 11:39 AM
    I just hope RIM can let the consumer decide what level of security they want. And hope that the carriers have mercy on us!
    01-14-13 03:22 AM
    BIS is one of the backbones of the blackberry solution. They won't drop it anytime soon.
    01-14-13 03:58 AM
    Ya, considering this is where they make their money.....
    01-18-13 03:26 AM
    There is rumors in our country, South Africa, that they are going to drop the BIS service totally. We currenlty pay an extra R60 ($6.5) per month post pay. I don't want another phone, but our internet cost are ridicolously high and the BIS service makes it affordabe for all. See article here: BlackBerry 10: the end of uncapped BIS in SA?
    #BBBelieve
    01-21-13 01:07 AM
28 12