Every thing might eventually have a touch screen, but I am sure they will always have atleast several slider devices that keep a full qwerty board tucked away. There are still too many people who don't fully trust a all touch screen device, I am one of those people.
    Plus until they get the touchscreens to where they hold up without failing and having to be recalibrated regularly, I don't see them killing physical keypads soon.
    Now the question is when do we get the hologram touch interactive gizmos like you see on sci-fi. That's the one I want to see fully functioning, just imagine having a ring, or watch, or card that you touch a button and your screen and keypad leap out in front of you as a huge hologram.
    Then you start sliding things around and just grab and throw it down to delete. I saw it on some sci-fi show when I was in the hospital.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by luvitlo; 09-18-09 at 07:53 AM.
    09-18-09 07:49 AM
    As my preference, Qwerty Keyboard is better. I totally agree with the touchscreen key taking up most of the screen which suchs. Enless they come out with e device like the Nitendo DS where theres two screens on a device. One for viewing and another one for typing. That would be pretty cool
    09-18-09 07:53 AM
    The physical keyboard will always be around. The only change I can see is the switch to touchscreen with a BT keyboard in the package.
    09-18-09 07:57 AM
    Eventually, yes.

Once the technology is perfected and the touch screen is as responsive and accurate as the qwerty you can say goodbye to the qwerty.

Why would a manafacturer continue with the qwerty when a touch would be cheaper to make and assemble. I am a qwerty fan because the touch does not provide the accuracy and feedback that the qwerty does. Once a touch provides that same accuracy I would have no problem becoming a convert.
    09-18-09 08:10 AM
    Im sorry but the future is the combination of Touch screen and Physical keyboard.

Motorola Shoules, HTC touch Pro 2, Palm Pre, Omnia Pro, Motorola Click, new palm device.
    09-18-09 08:52 AM
    You gotta be kidding me with this thread...
    It seems to be a trend. Over the years, I have seen many things in technology become phased out when many at the time thought it would never be. Touchscreen devices seem to be taking over. I am aware that physical keyboards are still present on phones and probably will be for a while, but it seems like a realistic bet that they may not exist anymore in the next 5-10 years.
    09-18-09 11:00 AM
    It would be cool to have a keyboard and touch screen at the same time though... but a full touch screen I'll never ever want to own again.
    09-18-09 12:17 PM
    I doubt physical keyboards will ever disappear since many people (including myself) prefer QWERTY keyboards over Virtual Keyboards
    i agree!
    there will always be business people that prefer the physical over the virtual keyboard....especially the older business people (how many 40 and 50 year olds are going to want to do business on a virtual KB?)
    09-18-09 12:22 PM
    It seems to be a trend. Over the years, I have seen many things in technology become phased out when many at the time thought it would never be. Touchscreen devices seem to be taking over. I am aware that physical keyboards are still present on phones and probably will be for a while, but it seems like a realistic bet that they may not exist anymore in the next 5-10 years.
    They started making touchscreen PC's too, but those aren't replacing keyboards...

I would shoot myself if I had to do work on a PC that was touchscreen only. Most importantly, there is no chance that this would happen in a 5 year or so period.
    09-18-09 01:28 PM
    The only thing I can see replacing a physical QWERTY is a haptic touch screen, then you will get the best of both worlds. until then, I don't think the physical keyboards will go anywhere.
    09-18-09 01:30 PM
    I own a cellular location and am still seeing plenty of customers choosing phones with physical keyboards. I have an iPod Touch, which I truly love, but typing on it is no where as quick and easy as my Curve. I don't believe qwerty is going anywhere. Too many texters who really prefer it. The future will be a combination of both like the HTC Touch Pro, LG Tritan...etc.

09-18-09 08:27 PM
    I own a cellular location and am still seeing plenty of customers choosing phones with physical keyboards. I have an iPod Touch, which I truly love, but typing on it is no where as quick and easy as my Curve. I don't believe qwerty is going anywhere. Too many texters who really prefer it. The future will be a combination of both like the HTC Touch Pro, LG Tritan...etc.

What could be an in between? I know we have slider keyboards underneath a full touchscreen. There are touchscreen physical front keyboard combos, and then the touch/click mechanism seen on the Storm. Could there be something else on the horizon? Because I doubt that physical keyboards will last, but I also think that there will be a need for some tactile feedback.

09-20-09 04:23 PM
    What could be an in between? I know we have slider keyboards underneath a full touchscreen. There are touchscreen physical front keyboard combos, and then the touch/click mechanism seen on the Storm. Could there be something else on the horizon? Because I doubt that physical keyboards will last, but I also think that there will be a need for some tactile feedback.

As I said, haptic controls.
    09-20-09 04:35 PM
    I'm sure eventually the physical keyboard will be phased out but I'm sure it won't happen in any of our lifetimes.
    09-20-09 05:30 PM
    I'm sure eventually the physical keyboard will be phased out but I'm sure it won't happen in any of our lifetimes.
    Witht he water we drink and the air we breathe, you're probably right.
    09-20-09 07:04 PM
    Yes, simple answer

09-20-09 07:17 PM
    I think QWERTY keyboards will absolutely be phased out. Timing?

Oh maybe about the time we can hook into The Matrix.
    10-27-09 11:23 AM
    You gotta be kidding me with this thread...
    That's kind of what I was thinking.
    10-27-09 12:08 PM
    I probably won't see it, but eventually they will be all voice.

Not sure how games will be done with that though.

Ken
    10-27-09 08:56 PM
    qwerty will never go away as long as these threads exist.
    10-27-09 10:23 PM
    dont think they will but you never know as touch is becoming pretty popular
    10-27-09 10:51 PM
    I seriously doubt physical keyboards are going anywhere anytime soon. I personally can't stand typing on a touchscreen and I know of others who feel the same way. Too many people prefer the feel of an actual physical keyboard for manufacturers to just do away with them.
    10-28-09 12:23 AM
    Touch screens freeze in cold weather. I snowboard a LOT. Thusly, no touch screen for me. I love the keyboard response on the physical setup too.

10-28-09 12:38 AM
    I don't think physical qwerty's will ever be phased out. IMO, a touchscreen keyboard can never replace a physical one. Touchscreen typing is not efficient or practical enough for e-mail and messaging.
    10-28-09 12:56 AM
    This thread is a joke. This guy is just trying to stir things up.

10-28-09 03:28 AM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD