I am looking to upgrade to the new Blackberry Monaco or the new Blackberry Bold Touch. Will OS 6.1 be upgradable to OS 7, or should I wait until the devices come with OS 7?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-05-11 10:50 AM
    waiting for the OS 7 might take a little longer that sooner, but i actually do hope so if it comes out this year
    04-05-11 11:22 AM
    Maybe an OS7 lite if anything, but that's doubtful. QNX needs a dual-core processor; new phones are single core.

04-05-11 11:29 AM
    QNX needs a dual-core processor; new phones are single core.
    You got a link for this one?

I know the Playbook has a dual core for QNX, but I don't ever remember seeing anything that QNX itself requires a dual core...
    04-05-11 11:43 AM
    I'd hope that the next-gen BB's are dual core seeing as iP4 is already equipped with a dual core processor.
    04-05-11 11:52 AM
    I'd hope that the next-gen BB's are dual core seeing as iP4 is already equipped with a dual core processor.
    Sorry to let you down, but they are not. Single core processors ranging from 800mhz to 1.2ghz.

We do expect OS7 powered phones to be dual cores thou...
    04-05-11 12:39 PM
    We will not know the answer to this question until RIM tells us! I'm not sure they know for sure even at this point.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    04-05-11 12:41 PM
    You got a link for this one?

I know the Playbook has a dual core for QNX, but I don't ever remember seeing anything that QNX itself requires a dual core...
    RIM's Mike Lazaridis: QNX coming to BlackBerry phones when dual-core processors are ready -- Engadget
    04-05-11 12:42 PM
    Sorry to let you down, but they are not. Single core processors ranging from 800mhz to 1.2ghz.

We do expect OS7 powered phones to be dual cores thou...
    Blah, well thanks anyways. I'm glad I didn't wait for the Bold Touch then!
    04-05-11 01:01 PM
    I'm not say that qnx can run onna single core I'm just saying that Mike's statement doesn't mean it can't. The rest of the arctile is a writers assumption. The writer might be right. Rim might be just wanting everything to be right.

04-05-11 02:41 PM
    I'm not say that qnx can run onna single core I'm just saying that Mike's statement doesn't mean it can't. The rest of the arctile is a writers assumption. The writer might be right. Rim might be just wanting everything to be right.

That's true. I found a few more links, but they all say basically the same thing ... QNX will run BB's dual-core models. None of them say QNX requires dual-core, though I'm sure I saw that somewhere.

Regardless, my feeling is that whether they can run a version of a QNX-based OS or not, the next batch of phones should still be pretty snappy.
    04-05-11 02:54 PM
    6.0 devices wont even be able to upgrade to 6.1 because their lack of hardware specific features as the Magnetometer. So I seriously doubt we will be able to upgrade to OS7 as it would most probably be the switch to a full QNX based OS and possible changes in hardware requirements.
    04-05-11 10:41 PM
    6.0 devices wont even be able to upgrade to 6.1 because their lack of hardware specific features as the Magnetometer. So I seriously doubt we will be able to upgrade to OS7 as it would most probably be the switch to a full QNX based OS and possible changes in hardware requirements.
    So is it safe to say I should wait for the full QNX devices before I upgrade?
    Last edited by Blackberry Diehard; 04-06-11 at 06:48 AM.
    04-06-11 06:34 AM
    Depends on you. If you want a new phone now get it. Buy the time your next upgrade comes then the qnx phones might be out and all of the bugs worked out of them too.
    04-06-11 06:53 AM
    i would just go with the 6.1 devices. QNX phones are still a LONG way out. Rim is shooting for early 2012 so it prolly wont be till mid to the last half of 2012 (its been said they are already behind schedule).
    04-06-11 07:32 AM
    That's true. I found a few more links, but they all say basically the same thing ... QNX will run BB's dual-core models. None of them say QNX requires dual-core, though I'm sure I saw that somewhere.

Regardless, my feeling is that whether they can run a version of a QNX-based OS or not, the next batch of phones should still be pretty snappy.
    I've been searching myself. Everthing that I find the wording leads me to believe thst Rim wanted the qnx for the dual core not the other way around. I know its apples and oranges but although you can install win xp on a quad core system xp does utlize the cores effectly. So if 6.1 needs a 1ghz cpu to run effectly then I can see Rim wanting to hold out and launch a solid "new" platform. If they launcjed the qnx on the 1ghz cpus and if it didnt perform "better" it could be a flop. Also the wordings lead me to believe that Rim has a trick up their sleeve. It sounds like they think they have a chance to get to market 1st with the dual cores. If this does happen. Oh brother. Bye bye Android. Lol

04-06-11 10:07 AM
    I've been searching myself. Everthing that I find the wording leads me to believe thst Rim wanted the qnx for the dual core not the other way around. I know its apples and oranges but although you can install win xp on a quad core system xp does utlize the cores effectly. So if 6.1 needs a 1ghz cpu to run effectly then I can see Rim wanting to hold out and launch a solid "new" platform. If they launcjed the qnx on the 1ghz cpus and if it didnt perform "better" it could be a flop.
    Not could be, but definitely would be a flop. Solid and optimized integration of the hardware and software will be the key. And to use your analogy, just because you can run XP on a quad-core machine doesn't make it the optimal use -- or even a good use -- of either one.

Also, there's a lot of chatter about RIM building components of 6.1 to be reusable in 7.0. My gut tells me this will primarily be the front-end UI and other elements that sit on top of the OS core, perhaps even the application run time environment. Which means 7.0 will likely have a very similar look-and-feel as 6.1, and the differences in 7.0 will be in performance and features tied to the OS and hardware components.

Also the wordings lead me to believe that Rim has a trick up their sleeve. It sounds like they think they have a chance to get to market 1st with the dual cores. If this does happen. Oh brother. Bye bye Android. Lol
    Unfortunately Moto beat them to it with the Atrix. But in some cases, it's not always best to be first to market anyway. This application of dual-core technology is very new; and as good as we're hearing the Atrix is, I'm also hearing there are things that can be improved upon. Several interviews I've seen with Mike L point out a number of reasons why it will be awhile before BB drops a dual-core phone, including power management and sufficient availability of components. Yes, some will say these are just excuses for RIM being slow, and several dual-core prototypes were trotted out at CES. But considering RIM's characteristic commitment to battery life over performance and the fact that so few dual-cores have actually been released, I think RIM's reasons are valid, and I agree with their slow-and-steady approach.

Nonetheless, when dual-core QNX BB's do arrive, I'm confident they're going to be a$$-kickers, even considering whatever advances the competition will have made between now and then. But I'm also pretty sure the coming 6.1 phones won't be slouches, either.
    04-06-11 10:46 AM
    That's exactlly what I was saying. Just because it can run doest mean ita'll run good. So what my meaning is, to understand whats at hand allows us to understand where Rim is at and why. Somethings are best left unsaid and as you said come out later.
    Lol I didn't notice the date on the artcle I read about android being agravated at the delay on dual cores. It was written in 2010.
    Wonder why since the atrix is running the dual Rim doesn't have a fairly respectable release date? There's no shame in running an ARM Cortex-A9. I played w/ an atrix at the att store. Its nice. I don't like the ui/os ui. Not real sure which one. I didn't know it was a dual core untell a few minutes ago when I looked it up. If moto has a production in hand already Rim should at least have a prototype.

04-06-11 12:30 PM
    I'm still nt sold that the Monaco isn't dual core.... I know n understand wats bn said over past months but I've yet to find a single core msm8660 Qualcomm chip thats single core. Thats wats listed on the Roadmap spec sheet. Nw givin, a lot of you are smarter than I involving tech but could this phone be running half power n say partial QNX elements? I'm also thinking the RAM is 768 instead of 512 . Just seems to me Mike L wanted full Playbook exposure n is 'DWNPLAYING' Monaco specifics till next month. MAYBE, that would give 6.1 a transitioning chance.....I like hope!
    04-06-11 12:57 PM
    Has the Monaco been replaced yet. The leaked spec sheet says it has a qualcomm cpu. Untell it is released it doesn't matter. Interresting thing is that its speced to run os 6.1. Hmmm

04-06-11 02:02 PM
    Thankful for one year contracts. New Berry every year with a full discount. NTelos rocks!

04-06-11 03:04 PM
    I think RIM said that QNX will only be installable on dual-core phones. I don't have a link tho, sorry...
    04-06-11 08:04 PM
    I really hope this is not the case. I understand that the new hardware will run OS 6.1 smoothly, but the current 6.0 devices are less then a year old. For them to be unable to run OS 6.1 which is essentially just a further enhanced OS 6.0 (which is an enhanced OS 5.0) is really bad on RIMs part and will leave a sour taste in consumer's mouths. I really hope they will be able to at least run OS 6.1 Lite. If this current gen of hardware can't run the next OS upgrade, and the next gen of hardware can't run the following OS upgrade, then I think RIM is going to have a problem with a number of users.
    04-11-11 05:46 PM
    I expect the current 512mb devices to get 6.1, although probably the lite version mentioned on some spec sheets.
    They almost definitely won't get os7 tho, seems like RIM requires dual core for that.

04-11-11 05:49 PM
    I really hope this is not the case. I understand that the new hardware will run OS 6.1 smoothly, but the current 6.0 devices are less then a year old. For them to be unable to run OS 6.1 which is essentially just a further enhanced OS 6.0 (which is an enhanced OS 5.0) is really bad on RIMs part and will leave a sour taste in consumer's mouths. I really hope they will be able to at least run OS 6.1 Lite. If this current gen of hardware can't run the next OS upgrade, and the next gen of hardware can't run the following OS upgrade, then I think RIM is going to have a problem with a number of users.

I would expect that from RIM. The Storm 2 got screwed out of OS 6.0 so I would expect the same to happen with all 6.0 devices. I don't think any of them will see OS 7. I think the 9700 won't even see OS 6.1. Welcome to the world where the Storm 2 and other devices are R.I.P. ... But at the end of the day, as a business u gotta look forward and keepin movin ahead so it is expected. Technology will always be advance. Wow I just re-read what I wrote and Im such a hypocrite lol...
    Last edited by Kryngle; 04-12-11 at 09:28 AM.
    04-12-11 09:23 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD