I was curious to know or has anyone got any word of the new blackberry world coming to blackberry 7? Ex: If blackberry 10 gets instagram will the older blackberries be able to get it? Just a thought I suppose so go easy on me.
    01-28-13 04:12 PM
    probably not, i doubt developers will write apps on an OS that caused them to give up on the brand
    01-28-13 04:17 PM
    No. The new apps will not be compatible with older BBs. I very much doubt developers will write for deprecated devices.
    01-28-13 04:17 PM
    two completely different platforms OP
    the only thing in common is the word "blackberry"
    01-28-13 04:18 PM
    I wouldn't rule it out.

If BB10 is a big hit, maybe RIM could strong arm big/institutional developers to release apps for older OSes. Who knows...
    01-28-13 04:48 PM
    I wouldn't rule it out.

If BB10 is a big hit, maybe RIM could strong arm big/institutional developers to release apps for older OSes. Who knows...
    if bb10 is a big hit, it will most likely be at the expense of the older OS
    01-28-13 05:23 PM
    if bb10 is a big hit, it will most likely be at the expense of the older OS
    I was hoping it's at the expense of other OSes

Because even if everyone who has a OS4-5-6-7 device upgraded, that would be at most 79 million BB10 phones sold. RIM needs a lot more than that to roar back.

And RIM can't ignore legacy OSes (for now), because they need to build/maintain loyalty with the people buying the low end Curves/other budget devices. Hopefully, down the line, the same people will buy BB10 devices.
    01-28-13 05:37 PM
    YES THEY WILL!!!

as crappy as some may be and as useful as some will, the app generator apps and (I believe) all webworks apps will be immediately available or easily converted to legacy apps (<OS7) that is one of the strong points of html5 and a big reason behind why RIM is pushing for HTML5/ Web Works development and not just native...
    01-28-13 06:35 PM
    OS7 will be still be supported on it's own, i'm not sure what apps or to what degree,,, can't hurt to give 'em a call...

BlackBerry - BlackBerry | Contact Research In Motion (RIM) - US
    01-28-13 06:51 PM
    YES THEY WILL!!!

as crappy as some may be and as useful as some will, the app generator apps and (I believe) all webworks apps will be immediately available or easily converted to legacy apps (<OS7) that is one of the strong points of html5 and a big reason behind why RIM is pushing for HTML5/ Web Works development and not just native...

"With the BlackBerry WebWorks platform, you can target all three device platforms: BlackBerry 10, BlackBerry PlayBook, and BlackBerry smartphones running BlackBerry 7 or earlier."
    https://developer.blackberry.com/html5/downloads/
    01-28-13 07:32 PM
    YES THEY WILL!!!

I hope they do. Not saying I wouldn't make the leap to blackberry 10 but my upgrade isn't for months so I would at least hope I can keep my bold 9900 for a little while longer
    01-28-13 08:39 PM
    I would have said no until I read this thread.
    if it truly is so, my 9780 will be happy. Hard to believe though. Two different platforms seem to dictate no cross platform app use.
    01-28-13 08:44 PM

"With the BlackBerry WebWorks platform, you can target all three device platforms: BlackBerry 10, BlackBerry PlayBook, and BlackBerry smartphones running BlackBerry 7 or earlier."
    https://developer.blackberry.com/html5/downloads/
    True, but HTML 5 apps are only compatible with OS6+.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8530 using Tapatalk
    01-29-13 01:11 AM
    Also, I have another question, would the release of BB10 mean the price would then drop on other BlackBerries such as the 9320 or the Bold 9900?
    01-29-13 10:47 AM
    Also, I have another question, would the release of BB10 mean the price would then drop on other BlackBerries such as the 9320 or the Bold 9900?
    Traditionally, yes. Prices have always gone down on older phones when a new OS is introduced.
    GlamGemini likes this.
    01-29-13 10:58 AM
    Traditionally, yes. Prices have always gone down on older phones when a new OS is introduced.
    Thank you

I'm actually quite excited about this, since it means I'll maybe be able to get myself a better BlackBerry than pre BB10.
    Also, my boyfriend has nabbed my 9780 hehe, he loves it so much
    01-29-13 11:10 AM
    I realize this is probably my imagination, but just today I found apps I had been wishing for on my appworld but could never find. Now the day before 10 launch.... there they are. What a coincidence!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    GlamGemini likes this.
    01-29-13 05:59 PM