After hearing the news from BlackBerry this past Friday about job losses, decline in sales of the Z10 and Q10, almost a $1B loss, will my Z10 be a paperweight? Will I still be able to use my device? Or will I have to migrate to Apple or Android? I've had my Z10 since February and it's awesome. I use it for work everyday but I'm worried that I won't be able to use it for too much longer because of the current state of affairs with BlackBerry. Will the company be broken up, sold off, or just go the way Nortel did? Or the way Palm did? 72M subscribers would have to go somewhere. At this point ANY buyer would be good news. Whether it's Lenovo, Cisco, IBM, Facebook, a private equity firm. BBM is now available for iOS and Android so I'm wondering if my BB10 will still be usable down the road. Any insights or thoughts would be great.

Posted via CB10
    Amey88 likes this.
    09-21-13 05:01 PM
    No, the device will still work. Bbry isnt going out of business they're just going private, they will most likely pair back their future hand set development, and focus on their server security and bbm multi platform. Your z10 will be fine.

Cheers.

Posted via CB10
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    09-21-13 05:04 PM
    If that was the case they would of got rid of every employee... they are still pushing to make the company profitable again.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-13 05:04 PM
    Useless? No. Not worth nearly what you likely paid? Yes
    09-21-13 05:22 PM
    Your phone will stop working in 2 days time, better try and sell it for scrap.

Ok I didn't read your post because it was so silly.

Now on a serious note who can help me get a damn z30? I don't want to wait anymore!

Posted via CB10
    Amey88, dimitrisgreece and 93Aero like this.
    09-21-13 05:23 PM
    A brand new car loses 11% value as soon as it leaves the lot. Hardly anything used is worth more than new less it's an antique or a desirable, low production number. Equally, early adopters of phones and cars typically pay more and with new models experience problems. That's part of life.
    09-21-13 05:52 PM
    After hearing the news from BlackBerry this past Friday about job losses, decline in sales of the Z10 and Q10, almost a $1B loss, will my Z10 be a paperweight? Will I still be able to use my device? Or will I have to migrate to Apple or Android? I've had my Z10 since February and it's awesome. I use it for work everyday but I'm worried that I won't be able to use it for too much longer because of the current state of affairs with BlackBerry. Will the company be broken up, sold off, or just go the way Nortel did? Or the way Palm did? 72M subscribers would have to go somewhere. At this point ANY buyer would be good news. Whether it's Lenovo, Cisco, IBM, Facebook, a private equity firm. BBM is now available for iOS and Android so I'm wondering if my BB10 will still be usable down the road. Any insights or thoughts would be great.

Posted via CB10
    It will work fine. I wouldn't expect much in the way of software upgrades nor a lot in the way of new apps. With their announcement that they are going to focus on enterprise customers the consumer end of things, including most apps I think, won't be expanding much it at all and won't be seeing a lot of upgrades. But what you have now should be fine.
    09-21-13 05:58 PM
    Even if BlackBerry were to dissolve and disappear tomorrow your phone will work as well as it does today. It may get less support down the line and no new apps and you may have to resort to side loading but email, text, calls, and web will keep going. The only thing that might get affected is any longer term warranty you might have.
    09-21-13 07:17 PM
    Useless? No. Not worth nearly what you likely paid? Yes
    that can also be said of any device ever built on the day after anyone ever buys it...
    technology is great, but it is also evolving extremely quickly
    09-21-13 07:19 PM
    After hearing the news from BlackBerry this past Friday about job losses, decline in sales of the Z10 and Q10, almost a $1B loss, will my Z10 be a paperweight? ...

Posted via CB10
    There was an update for my PlayBook just this week. I got it in spring of 2011.
    09-21-13 08:36 PM
    that can also be said of any device ever built on the day after anyone ever buys it...
    I am referring to the inevitable "re-tiering". I am assuming this has to due with price cuts. The price cuts on new models will effect the second hand value.
    09-21-13 09:11 PM
    I'm anticipating that within a year there will be very few apps and upgrades for out BlackBerry 10 phones. And absolutely no manufacturer support.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-13 10:58 PM
    It will go "poof" and turn to ash in your hand.

Why are these questions still popping up?

Do people think these phones are made of fairy dust or something?

The bigger question may be the effect on the older BBOS phones that relied on BIS. Even then, it won't be known for sure until after whatever is going to happen happens.

BB10 phones work on existing carrier networks, access existing wi-fi standards for Internet and app access off network, and don't need proprietary networks to work normally (unlike BBOS 7.1 and older) . BBM not withstanding (and it may outlive BB on its own anyway). BlackBerry can completely disappear from the face of the earth tomorrow, but there's no reason the phone itself won't keep working for another few years. By then, advances in the industry will likely force the need for a new device anyway.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-13 03:16 PM
    Yes, your phone will stop working completely. Please send it to me for recycling. I will pay for postage...

:-/

Posted via CB10
    09-22-13 03:29 PM
    I think he meant not worth nearly what she paid for it, like worth basically nothing...not like the evolution of technology you're talking about.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4
    09-22-13 03:35 PM
    As the Z10 does not use BIS, it should work just like any other smartphone, even if Blackberry disappeared.
    09-22-13 03:48 PM
    It will go "poof" and turn to ash in your hand.

Why are these questions still popping up?

Do people think these phones are made of fairy dust or something?

The bigger question may be the effect on the older BBOS phones that relied on BIS. Even then, it won't be known for sure until after whatever is going to happen happens.

BB10 phones work on existing carrier networks, access existing wi-fi standards for Internet and app access off network, and don't need proprietary networks to work normally (unlike BBOS 7.1 and older) . BBM not withstanding (and it may outlive BB on its own anyway). BlackBerry can completely disappear from the face of the earth tomorrow, but there's no reason the phone itself won't keep working for another few years. By then, advances in the industry will likely force the need for a new device anyway.

Posted via CB10
    I would actually pay for a phone that was really made out of fairy dust. It would be quite the conversation starter.
    09-22-13 04:02 PM
    I do not understand these kind of threads. Like, what exactly happens if a phone company goes out of business? There is not some magic kill switch that will then make your device useless. It will still work. I have a ZuneHD that was dead a long time go as far as updates go. Guess what? It still works. A miracle? No. Just the way most electronic devices work. If it dies at some point, you move on. Get something else. Easy.
    09-22-13 04:08 PM
    If you are not a prosumer, than yes.
    09-22-13 04:09 PM
    It's crap post like this that hurts the brand, I have a Nokia N8 in the draw, still works and will continue to work until I chuck it in the bin.

Can we just try to be positive and cut out the crap post!
    09-22-13 04:25 PM
    Since my BlackBerry Z10 is not part of a new BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 deployment I expect my smartphone to still function as a telephone, email client connected to hosted Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 and to an IMAP IDLE account, web browsing client, and streaming radio, remotely accessing servers, playing a few games, and reading PDFs and ebooks. If the BlackBerry Q5 price drops I will buy it for the much missed physical keyboard.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    09-22-13 07:01 PM
    I am referring to the inevitable "re-tiering". I am assuming this has to due with price cuts. The price cuts on new models will effect the second hand value.
    They are going to take out the expensive metal parts & replace them with cheap plastic. Once this is done they will rebrand it the BlackBerry Z10c and sell it in Lumina colors.
    paulo_mealha likes this.
    09-23-13 01:28 AM
    Will a Z10 still work? Yes, but not as well as it otherwise would.

Support for the device will fall off, and developers will be quick to abandon the platform. That's what happened with Palm anyways.
    09-23-13 02:26 AM
    In all honesty, the Z10 was looked at by the world as DOA.

We are the only cheerleaders left for BB, I hope all of you realize this.

Regardless, BBRY is here to stay, and it isn't going anywhere anytime soon. We have a great OS with decent hardware, and we're on a rough patch where many will fall behind but once we reach the top, we'll be glad we stayed!

As for devs, the ones that hopped on will stay but as far as I can see, there's no motive for them to jump on BB10
    BerryWizard likes this.
    09-23-13 02:32 AM
    How about blackberry maps? Will that still function if BlackBerry terminates operations?

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 07:47 AM
43 12