..title says everything.. so how long can I use my device if BlackBerry dies, because I'm also thinking of buying a Q10 & Z30..

Posted via CB10
    08-14-13 10:08 AM
    The device will still work as a phone, for texting, and a whole host of things that are not BlackBerry dependent. As long as you have a SIM card that provides service the device will work.
    08-14-13 10:11 AM
    BB isnt dying but your BB10 phones dont depend on BIS anymore so the phones will work forever. The only thing would be BBM that might not work
    08-14-13 10:11 AM
    Who did change the title?

Posted via CB10
    08-14-13 10:16 AM
    Bbm. But that won't happen, at the very least it will be sold.

I would recommend against buying from a company that is unstable, look at palm that happened very quickly.
    08-14-13 10:18 AM
    BB isnt dying but your BB10 phones dont depend on BIS anymore so the phones will work forever. The only thing would be BBM that might not work
    Ok...

Posted via CB10
    08-14-13 10:22 AM
    It will work but it won't be enjoyable. Namely, developers will have stopped making apps. If you think the ecosystem is bad now, wait till THAT happens. If you're a serious smartphone user at all, this really isn't an attractive scenario. If you're a light weight, then this may not bother you.
    08-14-13 10:40 AM
    Your BlackBerry will explode into a million tiny pieces if the company shuts down. Thor will press one red button to make that happen.
    Ecm, jegs2, fkornre and 4 others like this.
    08-14-13 10:42 AM
    Your BlackBerry will explode into a million tiny pieces if the company shuts down. Thor will press one red button to make that happen.
    made me chuckle...thanks
    08-14-13 10:48 AM
    Very counterproductive

Posted via CB10
    08-14-13 10:50 AM
    Well. It seems that we shouldn't buy anything else from blackberry. They cheated us with this new cell phone.
    Does anyone want to buy a almost new BlackBerry Z10???
    08-14-13 11:45 AM
    made me chuckle...thanks
    Ha! No problem.
    08-14-13 12:12 PM
    More importantly, there are a great many more users of legacy BB systems out there who rely on BIS. If BB is bought and sold for scrap, what becomes on those phones and their email/web connectivity?
    08-14-13 12:12 PM
    Very counterproductive

Posted via CB10
    Ok...
    BerryWizard likes this.
    08-14-13 12:13 PM
    It is truly amazing to me how uninformed or unaware many people are about all this.

1. Your phone works through your carrier. So the concern should be about your carrier disappearing.

2. One of the key assets of BlackBerry is their network for both BIS and BBM. In a worst case scenario that would be something bought to be maintained and miked for as long as possible. (esp with BBM going cross platform)

3. Stop the doom and gloom. BlackBerry is not on life support yet. They are being proactive too look for help to break the Apple/Samsung juggernaut. I am very interested to see what transpires...could be very very good.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-13 12:19 PM
    BlackBerry is far from dead, in fact it is alive and healthy. It may have a few scratches and it has to go back to the gym, but it won't die. Don't let the media sway your opinion. Here is a company that has zero debt, over 3 billion in Cash in the account and what I think is a great ceo for the transition. BlackBerry will we around for a long time.

Posted via CB10
    Morty2264 likes this.
    08-14-13 12:21 PM
    Any smartphone working today has, at most, a 5 year life. That's because the old GSM and CDMA standards are in the process of being retired. Voice calls will be moved over to VoLTE (Voice over LTE, which is the cellular version of VoIP) in the next year or two, and new phones will then use LTE for everything (LTE isn't used for voice calls or SMS messages today), except for in areas where LTE service doesn't exist, and then they'll drop back down to GSM/CDMA. After 2-3 years of VoLTE phones being available on the market, the GSM and CDMA networks will be phased out, and those frequencies will be re-farmed to increase LTE bandwidth. When that happens, every device in current use will have to be retired. Granted, 4-5 years is practically forever for a cell phone.

If BB ceased operations, BBOS phones would be totally screwed, but BB10 phones would really only lose BBM and the possibility of any OS updates, and BB World would no longer exist. I'm sure an alternative market would pop up to archive BB10 apps, and of course, Android apps would still be able to be side-loaded just as they can be today.
    08-14-13 01:10 PM
    It is truly amazing to me how uninformed or unaware many people are about all this.

1. Your phone works through your carrier. So the concern should be about your carrier disappearing.

2. One of the key assets of BlackBerry is their network for both BIS and BBM. In a worst case scenario that would be something bought to be maintained and miked for as long as possible. (esp with BBM going cross platform)

3. Stop the doom and gloom. BlackBerry is not on life support yet. They are being proactive too look for help to break the Apple/Samsung juggernaut. I am very interested to see what transpires...could be very very good.

Posted via CB10
    My sentiments exactly. Some new perspective might be excellent for BlackBerry. At least something is happening. In the meantime, I am enjoying my device.

Curve 8320, Bold 9780, Bold 9900, PB 64gb, Z10
    jstirtzinger and Morty2264 like this.
    08-14-13 01:23 PM

Posted via CB10
    I know - I was more worrying about regularly updates and stuff like that...

Posted via CB10
    08-14-13 02:06 PM
    Very counterproductive

Posted via CB10
    but funny...
    08-14-13 09:42 PM
    Bit if you wrap your BlackBerry with tin foil, you will be ok.
    Crackberrykills likes this.
    08-14-13 10:14 PM
    The device will still work as a phone, for texting, and a whole host of things that are not BlackBerry dependent. As long as you have a SIM card that provides service the device will work.
    I'm going with AG on this one.

I'm not 100% sure how ActiveSync works, but I am betting that it's a server back at BlackBerry running the show. If they go down, then half the phone kinda goes down with them.

Or am I wrong. Please. Tell me I am wrong. I really wanna be wrong!

EDIT: So, I was talking to another ambassador and while I don't fully understand ActiveSync yet, it seems that the email service handles the sync and delivery. Guess that all we'd lose would be BBM, Protect and BlackBerry Travel.
    Last edited by diegonei; 08-15-13 at 10:29 PM.
    08-15-13 10:14 PM
    Thing is you lose all app support, which is pretty much the most important function for a smartphone. If you just want email, any other phone will do.
    08-16-13 12:02 AM
    You guys all sound way too worried. Like someone who just got married asking about what happens when their spouse dies. Come on guys. Way too many uncertainties with BlackBerry for now. So for now, let's just enjoy the honeymoon.

Posted by my new Z10 running 10.2.0.1047 via CB10
    Morty2264 likes this.
    08-16-13 12:08 AM