...short answer---in the short term-it might...long term--it wont cetrus paribus
    01-24-14 11:46 AM
    I think BB will be coming out with some new phones this year, besides the all touch one for Indonesia. It might be into the fall.

BB got stuck with their new phones on at least 3 or 4 areas:

1) BB phones are not typically seen by the broad public as a consumer phone, but one that people buy for business purposes, or is paid for by your company. As a result, trying to reach into the consumer market already swarming with marketing from apple / Samsung, it was really hard for BB to come off as a consumer phone. The routine now with Apple / Samsung, is that consumers can and will buy the next phone when released. Corporate purchased phones don't have sales spikes on a vendor's new release.
    2) Corporate clients purchase on their timeline, not the vendor's phone release timeline. As a result, BB phone purchases would trickle in as those companies that wanted to buy, expand or replace existing BlackBerry phones would do so as their companies made those decisions. This would mean a pretty steady pace of adoption of new devices.
    3) The gap between consumer and corporate sales was BlackBerry's "between a rock and a hard place". They wanted to appeal to the consumer market to get sales, while the corporate side would trundle along and consider Blackberry phones a legitimate contender, and those non-BYOD focused companies would hopefully mainly switch to BB10. BlackBerry I think had a strong reason to try and appeal to consumers, since in the BYOD companies, the consumers are the ones that make the phone choice.
    4) BlackBerry's Smartphone gap - When BB10 was released, it was still missing enough things (features and apps) that made it less appealing to the consumer market in particular, and its unique features were not enough to overcome the gap. But, in my opinion, with 10.2 and now 10.2.1, much of that gap will be closed. It is truly amazing what BB has done in 12 months to close this gap. I am truly impressed. When the iPhone was first released it had some serious usability gaps, but people bought it anyways because the other features it had were considered to outweigh them. Remember that the iPhone voice quality was terrible when it came out, and you couldn't even invoke a conference call from a number / passcode in an email or meeting invite? Consumers didn't care about the conference issue, and I know two people who carried an iPhone, and a flip phone for voice calls!

So, with the above points, BlackBerry has suffered from not being able to fully compete with the other devices, which has caused it to seem like old or sub-par technology. This plus the fact that BlackBerry has been losing money, and that the consumer / corporate gap means declining phone purchases, all gives consumers a view that BlackBerry is on the way out.

I believe their phones, particularly Q10 and Z30, are right up there with the best of today. If they can do the following:
    1) Show they are more than a phone device company, so that low or declining phone sales does not define them (BBM, BYOD / MDM, even biz apps like BlackBerry Express can help)
    2) Retain large portions of the non-BYOD corporate clients and show some decent wins
    3) That #2 could even stop the decline in phone sales, and possibly start to creep back up, and both #1 and #2 help regain confidence
    4) Showing shrinking losses and a path to profitability, particularly in cash burn rate, then actual losses (i.e. not inflated by write-downs)
    5) Build a minimum of new phones that keep BB in the game, now that their devices have caught up. Focus on the corporate BYOD clients, but keep them in the running compared to consumer phones.

Releasing new phones becomes a balancing act. The Indonesian phone is a surgical strike for primarily executed by an ally (Foxconn) with little exposure for BB. This is a great way to still drive some consumer action. If it works, then go to other countries quickly, which Foxconn could do.

For corporate clients, non-BYOD focused companies should be happy to buy BlackBerry phones, along with BB corporate support software, and with enough confidence that BB is going to be around, and their phones are good phones. Then BYOD companies, and some consumers will trickle back. At that point, I think BB could go after consumers again with gusto.

I personally think that smartphones are becoming a bit of a commodity, and that if BB sticks with phone hardware, it can still make a good go of it.
    01-24-14 12:45 PM
    Bizdude, How can BB get BBOS users on board ?
    01-24-14 05:32 PM
    Do you know, or are you allowed to comment on the display?
    If it's a 720p one again, I may as well switch to another phone.

I would be very pleased if you can give me a little hint.
    Something along the lines of:
    "They may need to update the dev guidelines soon, concerning display resolutions".

Posted via CB10
    At this point, I'm not sure because its hard to say which high end device they're going with. Previously, they had several high-end devices in the pipeline and I mean, really high-end. But, since Chen took over their roadmap is not as clear as it once was several devices ended up getting cut as well all know. What I can say is, one of those high end devices was a QWERTY and it's not likely they'd put a 1080p display in a QWERTY as that's kinda silly.
    01-24-14 06:16 PM
    I had a crazy dream just before I woke up this morning. Someone tweaked my Z30 and customized its UI with a BBOS one, just with BB10 features added within the old style UI ... and the press was "BlackBerry went a la Windows Classic: you can now get your (touch) buttons back and fast dial with the keyboard". I felt bizarre ...
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 01-25-14 at 04:39 AM. Reason: typos
    h20work likes this.
    01-24-14 07:25 PM
    I had a crazy dream just before I woke up this morning. Someone tweaked my Z30 and customized my Z30 UI with a BBOS one, just with BB10 features added within the old style UI ... and the press was "BlackBerry went a la Windows: you can now get your (touch) buttons back and fast dial with the keyboard". I felt bizarre ...
    Was kind of disappointing when themes went away. Skin the os however you like it, there were some really great ones for bb5.
    01-24-14 08:23 PM
    At this point, I'm not sure because its hard to say which high end device they're going with. Previously, they had several high-end devices in the pipeline and I mean, really high-end. But, since Chen took over their roadmap is not as clear as it once was several devices ended up getting cut as well all know. What I can say is, one of those high end devices was a QWERTY and it's not likely they'd put a 1080p display in a QWERTY as that's kinda silly.
    That's good to know about having several devices in the pipeline. I'm assuming nit all were cut. And it explains the lack of information about future devices. I just hope things clear up over there quickly and they get back on track

Posted via CB10
    01-25-14 12:21 AM
    Was kind of disappointing when themes went away. Skin the os however you like it, there were some really great ones for bb5.
    Yeah I miss themes. As you say there were some fantastic ones

Posted via CB10
    01-25-14 12:22 AM
    I think I see your point. Maybe the title should have been something about the lack of information over a next gen device. I certainly didn't mean to give the impression that BlackBerry will not be releasing one.
    About the statement I pooh pooed. You claimed it's nowhere near the anniversary of BlackBerry 10 which is just false.
    Again you don't seem to be reading because I have never claimed I haven't got updates. I have got them all. They have helped put BlackBerry 10 in a more stable position. But a lot of these updates simply should have been in BlackBerry 10 from the start.
    First thing first. I'm sorry if it looks like I'm cherry picking arguments. I'm typing on my z10 usually and it means I tend to not see points as I type.
    Let me point out that my thread is not to criticise or ignore the devices BlackBerry have released already. It's to discuss if the lack of information over upcoming devices will harm them? I think I can gather that you don't think it will.
    Lastly if your posts were genuinely sincere I apologise for calling you rude and obnoxious. However I've read them again and still feel like they have the intent to mock and belittle my opinion. I'm not saying that is definitely your intent as it could be my perception that is wrong. I'm just pointing out that that is why I reacted as I did.
    If I have missed any points you want me to clarify my opinion over please respond. However beat in mind it's harder to answer a long post fully as I am only using my phone atm

Posted via CB10
    People here are more neutral than most other 'fansites', but that's a given, since the new direction. However, it would have (past tense) and will (future tense) continue to be very helpful if you actually set a parameters, even if others disagree on the parameters, because with that parameters, then people can actually form their honest opinions, even if it sounded like a very bitter pill.

Most of the BlackBerry enthusiasts here are already used to the fact that BlackBerry will be playing catch up game (in a way its nice, in a way, not)

I don't think there was a leaked confirmed roadmap, with exception of the peek from 1-2 years ago which dictated that BlackBerry would continue to make at least 6 devices per year, but even then we all KNEW that after the billion dollar writedown, the lineup was reduced to 4 (which is stretching things a little too thin, just my opinion). If anything, in my personal opinion, if Foxconn actually manages to create a "i want this device" device with low entry cost, people will / may consider having a BlackBerry as a secondary phone. However, nobody will know how well it performs (in terms of performance and sales) until March comes around. Or was it April? That's 60-90 days, and another 30 for shipping (Foxconn is no slouch on shipping, but still..)

No, I am not trying to be rude, but it was very hard to put a point across, that I felt that there's not a lack of next gen devices, but rather, if you ask me, the lack in being 'next gen' enough to set apart a device from being called as "just another upgrade".
    darkehawke likes this.
    01-25-14 04:09 AM
    Yeah I miss themes. As you say there were some fantastic ones
    Posted via CB10
    Like I said, I feel "bizarre" about it.
    Because, at first hand, I'd say "yeah, bring the themes back for those who like it".
    But - as a developer and user - I can measure how the UI complexity raised. Not on the usage front, but on the scenarios used.
    See how long it take to polish BB10 and add the - logic and useful - tuning we had since 10.0. A year later, 10.2.0/1 are still adding some previously unknown features (toast, fast settings,call screen ...) so that any previous theme will probably be problematic.
    Yet, I believe my "dream" of an "old style" legacy UI may be created and maintained by BlackBerry and could help to solve some learning curve issues and fasten adoption. That's how I felt with Windows7, when I slowly slided into the metro interface, which is now natural for me in W8 (even if I mostly use the desktop view).

I believe the BB10 UI key features/usages aren't yet 100% written in the stone.
    Until then, any third party permanent UI coating will harm more than help; not only for BlackBerry, but also for developers relying on UI APIS.

Late? probably. Let's be patient, again.
    01-25-14 04:38 AM
    People here are more neutral than most other 'fansites', but that's a given, since the new direction. However, it would have (past tense) and will (future tense) continue to be very helpful if you actually set a parameters, even if others disagree on the parameters, because with that parameters, then people can actually form their honest opinions, even if it sounded like a very bitter pill.

Most of the BlackBerry enthusiasts here are already used to the fact that BlackBerry will be playing catch up game (in a way its nice, in a way, not)

I don't think there was a leaked confirmed roadmap, with exception of the peek from 1-2 years ago which dictated that BlackBerry would continue to make at least 6 devices per year, but even then we all KNEW that after the billion dollar writedown, the lineup was reduced to 4 (which is stretching things a little too thin, just my opinion). If anything, in my personal opinion, if Foxconn actually manages to create a "i want this device" device with low entry cost, people will / may consider having a BlackBerry as a secondary phone. However, nobody will know how well it performs (in terms of performance and sales) until March comes around. Or was it April? That's 60-90 days, and another 30 for shipping (Foxconn is no slouch on shipping, but still..)

No, I am not trying to be rude, but it was very hard to put a point across, that I felt that there's not a lack of next gen devices, but rather, if you ask me, the lack in being 'next gen' enough to set apart a device from being called as "just another upgrade".
    Thank you. i apologise again for snapping at you. I understand it can be hard to put a point across in a forum and sometimes the wrong impression is taken.
    Bear in mind when i talk about next gen i'm not talking about Blackberry vs other platforms. I'm talking blackberry vs blackberry. Iphone has bought a 64bit processor and fingerprint sensor. that sets the 5s apart from the 5. the s4 had all that eye stuff that set it apart from the s3.
    We need a device that can do something similar to set it apart from the current set of devices. i'm not asking for it to be released tomorrow. only for the knowledge that blackberry is working on something like this.
    Right now there is a lot of uncertainty around future devices apart from the jakarta, and i feel this uncertainty may harm blackberry
    01-25-14 05:54 AM
    Thank you. i apologise again for snapping at you. I understand it can be hard to put a point across in a forum and sometimes the wrong impression is taken.
    Bear in mind when i talk about next gen i'm not talking about Blackberry vs other platforms. I'm talking blackberry vs blackberry. Iphone has bought a 64bit processor and fingerprint sensor. that sets the 5s apart from the 5. the s4 had all that eye stuff that set it apart from the s3.
    We need a device that can do something similar to set it apart from the current set of devices. i'm not asking for it to be released tomorrow. only for the knowledge that blackberry is working on something like this.
    Right now there is a lot of uncertainty around future devices apart from the jakarta, and i feel this uncertainty may harm blackberry
    And the s5 will have fingerprint to set it apart from the s4?

I don't think having s feature just for the sake of it helps blackberry in anyway, yes they need a USP for each device but i would rather something that's not as amazing but very useful (e.g. Picture password)

I want to ask, if the next iPhone has NFC will you regard it as 'next gen' even though other phones have had it for years?

Yes I want blackberry to be on top of their marketing but they need to do it right, be creative and differentiate not just copy the marketing techniques of other companies..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    01-25-14 07:12 AM
    And the s5 will have fingerprint to set it apart from the s4?

I don't think having s feature just for the sake of it helps blackberry in anyway, yes they need a USP for each device but i would rather something that's not as amazing but very useful (e.g. Picture password)

I want to ask, if the next iPhone has NFC will you regard it as 'next gen' even though other phones have had it for years?

Yes I want blackberry to be on top of their marketing but they need to do it right, be creative and differentiate not just copy the marketing techniques of other companies..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    i think BlackBerry needs to really look at themselves and ask "what direction" after re-taking the enterprise.
    01-25-14 10:05 AM
    i think BlackBerry needs to really look at themselves and ask "what direction" after re-taking the enterprise.
    That's years away if you take that position. Enterprise isn't just gonna leap back for no reason. It's going to take the Management team a while to convince partners to have faith in them again. They need to focus on both Enterprise and Consumer level of what the plan is or their base will continue to erode very very quickly. They've already fell off one cliff.. not sure there is another one without falling into the ocean..
    01-25-14 10:24 AM
    At least one with a 24bit dac chip. And a slider with a detachable base that houses an optional second battery.
    01-25-14 10:34 AM
    I think corporations using BBOS will move as they see BlackBerry delivering solutions for the enterprise like BYOD / MDM and secure access to corporate data. And with phones that are no longer behind other devices, there is no reason to shun them. Improvement of the health of the company will help too.

I think they will be able to convince organizations that dont allow BYOD first.

Little steps on the consumer side could help. I wonder if they could do BIS again for BB10, if that might help in emerging markets. The lower data usage made for more affordable plans in South Africa and other places. That could help keep some consumer base.

Posted via CB10
    BitPusher2600 likes this.
    01-25-14 11:56 AM
    I think corporations using BBOS will move as they see BlackBerry delivering solutions for the enterprise like BYOD / MDM and secure access to corporate data. And with phones that are no longer behind other devices, there is no reason to shun them. Improvement of the health of the company will help too.

Little steps on the consumer side could help. I wonder if they could do BIS again for BB10, if that might help in emerging markets. The lower data usage made for more affordable plans in South Africa and other places. That could help keep some consumer base.

Posted via CB10
    Check out the thread 'why is bb07 outselling bb10' because a lot of the stuff said here that links to that

They really need some sort of website or in the set-up of the phone where they show bb07 features that are no longer available and their bb10 alternatives.. I think it was Kevin who said if they concentrated on bringing just legacy users over and Noone else, they could do much better, I think he was referring to the launch last year, bit I think it's still relevant now,

A Lot of bb07 users are not convinced on bb10, and are unsatisfied, satisfy them first, then the rest will follow

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    01-25-14 02:32 PM

Posted via CB10
    Totally right on both counts.
    I'm convinced that BlackBerry needs to become far more proactive towards pushing the advantages and benefits of modern BES/BB10 to corporations with BBOS deployments, but then again, I'm betting there are plenty who may still be running their operations with Windows XP or even NT.

I do know just from the time I've spent on CrackBerry over the years that the data compression offered by BIS was huge for users from other countries, or that is to say, a feature that always got the most praise and in some cases was the first reason these folks even chose BlackBerry. It's not as if we didn't see enough unrest when the idea of BB10 not using BIS was first mentioned anyway, and that includes plenty of folks who did not have to be so worried about each megabyte they use let alone those who do.

Posted from BitPusher's Q10
    01-25-14 03:04 PM
    Yes they need a Z70 and a Q70
    And set it with all the posible ram available all the resolution they can get all the battery power they can imagine, the best camera features the most powerful snapdragon processor, a anti scratch screen with antibacterial solution also use the best materials using equipped also with nano tecnology
    What iam trying to say. Its that blackberry have to try be the beat in hardware for 1 time and make the world know that we have the best Os the keyboard the security and when somebody compare with other phone BB can for 1 time be superior. And spend a lot in viral marketing, and be more agresive and get some good reviews, we have a better android they say, lets compete with the samsung hardware, because its the only reason people buy they stuffs....
    To reply your question, yes they are going to losse again people...
    Without the expectations of a new phone. In my case i want full tactile screen made for jhon chen
    Named Z70 the savior..

But here is another problem..

For example iphone user knows what to expect for the company for example iphone 3 then iphone 3s then iphone 4 then 4 s iphone 5 then 5s... same with samsung s1 s2 s3 s4 s5 etc

What do you espect from bb?

Posted via CB10
    01-25-14 11:50 PM
    That's years away if you take that position. Enterprise isn't just gonna leap back for no reason. It's going to take the Management team a while to convince partners to have faith in them again. They need to focus on both Enterprise and Consumer level of what the plan is or their base will continue to erode very very quickly. They've already fell off one cliff.. not sure there is another one without falling into the ocean..
    Not exactly.

The way I see it is that they didn't had much of a plan, but they somehow grew very big.

iPhone and Android came out, things started to go south,

and they look at themselves, and decided to go with "let's try to give consumers a touchscreen based os, very graphical", and you get BlackBerry 10's initial design in a playbook. They were not looking at the enterprise people.

I had a hunch, all the way until BB10.2, they were not looking at enterprise. It was AFTER BB10.2, and the writedown, did they began to look themselves again and say "okay, consumer plan failed. what do we do?" and somehow decided to look into the enterprise section much more aggresively.

I mean, it was previously they looked themselves as a handset maker. Now they are looking at themselves as a 4-in-1 solutions provider, as we all know:

1) the qnx division
    2) the MDM and software services division (no more just BES, and basically this division was still heading towards "how to sell a phone approach")
    3) the handset division
    4) the BBM division (broken off, now an investment that has not generated income yet, or sustainable income)

I think that the MDM and software division has a lot to room to grow,

but I feel that the handset / mobile computing division has even more potential to grow despite the crowded space, not hardware wise.
    ccbs likes this.
    01-25-14 11:52 PM
    Yes they need a Z70 and a Q70
    And set it with all the posible ram available all the resolution they can get all the battery power they can imagine, the best camera features the most powerful snapdragon processor, a anti scratch screen with antibacterial solution also use the best materials using equipped also with nano tecnology
    What iam trying to say. Its that blackberry have to try be the beat in hardware for 1 time and make the world know that we have the best Os the keyboard the security and when somebody compare with other phone BB can for 1 time be superior. And spend a lot in viral marketing, and be more agresive and get some good reviews, we have a better android they say, lets compete with the samsung hardware, because its the only reason people buy they stuffs....
    To reply your question, yes they are going to losse again people...
    Without the expectations of a new phone. In my case i want full tactile screen made for jhon chen
    Named Z70 the savior..

But here is another problem..

For example iphone user knows what to expect for the company for example iphone 3 then iphone 3s then iphone 4 then 4 s iphone 5 then 5s... same with samsung s1 s2 s3 s4 s5 etc

What do you espect from bb?

Posted via CB10
    Lol wow, and how much would that phone cost to make? Meaning the price would be what?

One of the reasons phones don't change a lot is so that people have a reason to buy the next phone, if BlackBerry max out their parents on one phone, why would you buy the next one they make?

I already consider even my Z10 to be superior to any other phone, otherwise I wouldn't have it, to survive blackberry need more of a perception change than a 'magic phone', They need to heave dome immense PR stunts that gets people talking about them one way or another, right now to the general public they are fading out, even if they had a 'magic phone' people wouldn't know..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    01-26-14 02:20 AM
    Are you able to say if a high end slider phone was in the pipeline prior to Chen's arrival?

01-27-14 09:56 AM
    Some people aren't listening to what John Chen has said. He's repeatedly said that BlackBerry won't be chasing the competition and will be focusing on their core strengths. With this in mind it's difficult to see how the Z30 can be improved, other then with software.

Posted via CB10
    Problem with John's comment is the lack of transparency on what BB `core strengths` are.

Security.. everyone has come to learn that is a fallacy with respect to encryption with respect to NSA.. even PGP is useless in that regards. However, user to user BB probably still excells over iOS and Android.
    Enterprise email, cummunication media .. ok yes but they still require state of the art devices to read, send emails etc.
    Keyboard.. yes but Q10 isn't as good a "device" as the 9800, 9900 series devices from a user experience. So..

BB10 email isn't the best.. Can't delete on device and leave on server. Can sort HUB. Hub isn't even that great. I find my Q10 constantly needing me to reinput Passwords for POP3 email accounts. Beyond annoying.
    BB10 contacts app widget whatever it is called is horrible. Can't do groups even.
    Lack of BIS has meant a lot more spam coming onto our devices.

BIS excelled at Enterprise - Business user giving user the option of free data through the BB network. A major cost savings especially if Enterprise with 100s to 1000s of user roaming internationally.

What exactly is Jack thinking BB core strength is and what does that mean regarding future direction of BB10, BB devices etc.
    Last edited by diehardbbuser; 01-27-14 at 03:54 PM.
    01-27-14 03:05 PM
    Problem with Jack's comment is the lack of transparency on what BB `core strengths` are.

Security.. everyone has come to learn that is a fallacy with respect to encryption with respect to NSA.. even PGP is useless in that regards. However, user to user BB probably still excells over iOS and Android.
    Enterprise email, cummunication media .. ok yes but they still require state of the art devices to read, send emails etc.
    Keyboard.. yes but Q10 isn't as good a "device" as the 9800, 9900 series devices from a user experience. So..

BB10 email isn't the best.. Can't delete on device and leave on server. Can sort HUB. Hub isn't even that great. I find my Q10 constantly needing me to reinput Passwords for POP3 email accounts. Beyond annoying.
    BB10 contacts app widget whatever it is called is horrible. Can't do groups even.
    Lack of BIS has meant a lot more spam coming onto our devices.

BIS excelled at Enterprise - Business user giving user the option of free data through the BB network. A major cost savings especially if Enterprise with 100s to 1000s of user roaming internationally.

What exactly is Jack thinking BB core strength is and what does that mean regarding future direction of BB10, BB devices etc.

If you keep up with just Crackberry posts then you would know the strengths John(im assuming that's who you meant not jack) outlined clearly

I think you forgot to mention bbm +QNX

1) Blackberry's core strengths is an internal thing (SW - internal OT- external) so it's redundant comparing to ios and and android, it's in comparison with the company as a whole

2) you acknowledged that Blackberry's security is the best so you've answered your own question there, it certainly isn't a weakness

3) you then seem to say that enterprise email etc require 'state of the art devices' then almost immediately contradict yourself by saying legacy devices are better than bb10 devices, which in itself is a matter of personal preference, just because legacy is selling more doesn't mean it is a better device, taking into account the long standing of legacy and lack of good advertising off bb10 especially

4) the hub provides you an option (might require 10.2.1) to either delete from hub and server or just hub so.. and I don't understand what 'can't sort hub means' could you elaborate?for me the hub is already organised so there's nothing to 'sort'. Reinputting passwords is a fair point however on the large scale it's quite minor and it hasn't hindered my communication

5) contacts app has improved in 10.2.1, personally hardly ever need to use it because of how awesome bb10 what do you mean by groups? Grouping certain contacts together? Bbm groups?

6) I don't see any correlation at all with BIS and spam, my blackberry is spam proof, what kind of spam are you referring to? I've never seen any since I got my Z10?

7) someone with better knowledge can cover this with more depth but BB10 does enterprise amazingly too, also supporting BYOD + android + iPhone making it more flexible which to my knowledge BIS didn't do

Again if you read Crackberry articles, you could see what John Chen has outlined for the four cores in terms of Blackberry's future, in short;
    expanding bbm and monetising it,

growing enterprise BB10 strengthening it's position as world leader in business security by targeting regulated industries also with BES cloud services

Oh and QNX, just keeping it awesome strengthening it's position, growing demand

And devices; Jakarta getting the developing markets and actually making money with them..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    01-27-14 03:36 PM
224 ... 789