I'm using dlna right now.. not sure what this h20 guy is talking about :-|

C001B7B16 The Gif Exchange
    01-23-14 08:57 PM
    Try watching a movie on your TV using a z10 with dlna and get back to me. I keep my shoe laces tied to prevent trippin.....
    From threads I've read, DLNA is dependent on the codecs available on your TV. Even if your Z10 can play a file, your TV might not.
    ray689 likes this.
    01-23-14 09:11 PM
    I'm using dlna right now.. not sure what this h20 guy is talking about :-|

C001B7B16 The Gif Exchange
    With a Z10?

Will the lack of next gen BlackBerry 10 device harm BlackBerry?-img_20140123_221413.jpg
    01-23-14 09:16 PM
    Try watching a movie on your TV using a z10 with dlna and get back to me. I keep my shoe laces tied to prevent trippin.....
    Maybe your TV is the limiting factor. I have a video from my last vacation on my old Z10 which I can stream just fine to my TV via DNLA.

DNLA itself does have some limitations though - you can't stream youtube over DNLA for example. That's why the Z30 has miracast
    01-23-14 09:19 PM
    From threads I've read, DLNA is dependent on the codecs available on your TV. Even if your Z10 can play a file, your TV might not.
    Odd that my 9850 has no issues with pics, music, or videos then. I can swap my SD card from my Z to my torch and it works fine.
    01-23-14 09:20 PM
    With a Z10?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140123_221413.jpg 
Views:	492 
Size:	159.7 KB 
ID:	241208
    I did that for almost a year to my WDTV and continue to do it on my Z30.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 09:21 PM
    Apple and Android took a long time to develop and mature. The Z30 and BB10 is the first sign of things coming together. Consumer gave Apple and Android time because BlackBerry was there. But the complaints were loud and heard all over the world. People are still carrying 2 devices. Now BB10 needs that time to develop and mature. I am so happy I made the switch to the Z30. Other than app selection why else would I make the switch. I recently downloaded the apps I craved. It is nice to know they are there but as I said before they are really just collecting dust.

As it was stated above the New Flagship phones are on they way. Under the hood things will remain the same unless there is a big announcement that they have scrapped their OS for a new one but this is not likely. What's really selling devices these days are specs and how they are cased, plastic leather, glass woven, metal even wood. I think Samsung got it right, there is nothing premium about their devices. They understand that parts die and devices have a shelf life. It is about 18 months in the US before we make the swithch. Carriers are even doing away with contracts. This will assist in selling more phones.

I am happy BlackBerry pulled back on pumping out devices and will concentrate on a quality product. I can wait until the next phone or 2 before spending another $600.00 - $700.00 several of my friends and coworkers have been checking out my Z30 most of the apple users feel the Z30 is the perfect size and never talk about specs. The Android users also think it is the perfect size, are surprised when I show them the app that I loaded, can't stop talking about how premium/beautiful it look and ask what are the differences in performance. I work in corporate and there are a lot of BlackBerry's but this baby is turning heads even with BlackBerry users.

If you are not happy with your current device or just want the next thing coming make the switch and go it.
    ray689 likes this.
    01-23-14 09:21 PM
    With a Z10?

Hey H20 - you'll find that's a limitation on your TV. Unfortunately not all TV's support the full range of DNLA functions, and some support them in different ways. That's why miracast compatible TV's make life so much easier.

But point being that it's most likely your TV limiting the playback here, and not your Z10. DNLA by design relies on the local device codecs (in this case, the TV displaying the video, not the Z10 transmitting it).
    01-23-14 09:22 PM
    With a Z10?

Not sure how you're not realizing that it could be a number of things impacting your use of it, the least of which being a firmware update for your TV. I use it on my PS3 all the time and even my Logitech Revue in my bedroom can be used with it after a few app downloads.

You can say it doesn't work all you want but really, it comes down to your set-up and components. Also, some leaks are known to have a DLNA bug preventing it from working.
    01-23-14 09:23 PM
    Odd that my 9850 has no issues with pics, music, or videos then. I can swap my SD card from my Z to my torch and it works fine.
    yes - your torch can clearly decode the video files - but the key is that your TV cannot. It's a limitation of the TV. I know this myself, as some video formats don't play on my 2011 model TV, whereas they work on my friend's 2013 model.

It's a bit sucky But it's not the Z10's fault. The Z10 is sending video as requested - it's the TV which is unable to decode.

Miracast is the future, where the dependency relies on the device sending the video, and thus if it can play on your Z10, it will play on the TV
    playbookster and collinc93 like this.
    01-23-14 09:25 PM
    Not sure how you're not realizing that it could be a number of things impacting your use of it, the least of which being a firmware update for your TV. I use it on my PS3 all the time and even my Logitech Revue in my bedroom can be used with it after a few app downloads.

You can say it doesn't work all you want but really, it comes down to your set-up and components. Also, some leaks are known to have a DLNA bug preventing it from working.
    Nice.

"We are truly alone, the scars on your heart are yours to atone" (BBM#18)
    ray689 likes this.
    01-23-14 09:34 PM
    It's sounds nice in theory, but doesn't work like that in the real world.
    Android apps perform worse on a BlackBerry10 phone than on an equivalently priced Android phone.
    There are still no Google services that you need for things like the Play Store or Google Maps.
    And there is a huge difference in quality, between an Android port/APK and a native app.

To say it simply: If I want Android apps, I will get an Android phone.
    Obviously the market agrees with me.
    Which also led to BB10 not getting native apps. Developers were not interested, not even to take 15 minutes to repackage.

BlackBerry made writing apps free, provided plenty of languages to choose from, gave cash and hardware incentives, got standard dev tools ported, and held developers conferences. They made it extremely easy. It wasn't the Android runtime that stopped developers.

You also seem to have missed that WP now conquered the 3rd place, even though they lack a certain number of important apps.
    They did it, without an Android player though, just focusing on native apps.
    Obviously the overall quality of their app store therefore is superior.
    You seemed to have forgotten that Windows Phone didn't gain traction until Nokia produced the very low-end phones, sub-$100 phones. There's a price point with adoption where the number of apps don't matter. The phone is disposable.

The majority of handset manufacturers are still in business and produce one phone after the other.
    Thanks to Androids openess and being pretty much gratis, a lot of local manufacturers emerged and actually make good money.

Yes, they don't play a big role in the international markets, but you have to begin somewhere.
    Here an article which illustrates it pretty well:
    Nokia and BlackBerry's market share in India dives, as domestic rivals see tenfold annual growth

It's not like I don't get your point, and to a certain extent I even agree here.
    But it's wrong to say that Android will make you go broke, and it's wrong to say that there isn't a security niche in the realm of Android manufacturers.
    BlackBerry isn't a small company. It can't go back in an instant to be a small player somewhere and grow slowly to be profitable. It needed huge volumes to be successful. BlackBerry going Android would mean it would be pitted against Samsung, HTC, Sony, etc., not the little players.
    01-23-14 09:34 PM
    Hey H20 - you'll find that's a limitation on your TV. Unfortunately not all TV's support the full range of DNLA functions, and some support them in different ways. That's why miracast compatible TV's make life so much easier.

But point being that it's most likely your TV limiting the playback here, and not your Z10. DNLA by design relies on the local device codecs (in this case, the TV displaying the video, not the Z10 transmitting it).
    What I'm saying is I can stream the same file from my torch with no issues. I remove the SD card from my Z and put it in the 9850, then stream from the 9850.

I'll go out and buy a new Sony xbr this weekend and try again....

Back to the point of this thread before it got derailed again. I want a new BlackBerry this year, what's in the line up?
    01-23-14 09:35 PM
    What I'm saying is I can stream the same file from my torch with no issues. I remove the SD card from my Z and put it in the 9850, then stream from the 9850.

I'll go out and buy a new Sony xbr this weekend and try again....

Back to the point of this thread before it got derailed again. I want a new BlackBerry this year, what's in the line up?
    Nobody knows what line up is. That doesn't mean there isn't one which is what the thread was based on I guess.

Posted via CB10
    Undbiter65 likes this.
    01-23-14 09:37 PM
    yes - your torch can clearly decode the video files - but the key is that your TV cannot. It's a limitation of the TV. I know this myself, as some video formats don't play on my 2011 model TV, whereas they work on my friend's 2013 model.

It's a bit sucky But it's not the Z10's fault. The Z10 is sending video as requested - it's the TV which is unable to decode.

Miracast is the future, where the dependency relies on the device sending the video, and thus if it can play on your Z10, it will play on the TV
    Miracast isn't available on the z10. Once again, paid the price of being an early adopter.
    01-23-14 09:37 PM
    Nobody knows what line up is. That doesn't mean there isn't one which is what the thread was based on I guess.

Posted via CB10
    And with the op's point that bb will lose out.

I guess it depends if you believe the z30 was to be a direct replacement for the z10. I don't, and for now we've heard nothing of a z10 update.
    01-23-14 09:44 PM
    And with the op's point that bb will lose out.

I guess it depends if you believe the z30 was to be a direct replacement for the z10. I don't, and for now we've heard nothing of a z10 update.
    Isn't 10.2.1 going to start rolling out soon? I believe I read this somewhere. Hmm

ray689 likes this.
    01-23-14 09:48 PM
    Isn't 10.2.1 going to start rolling out soon? I believe I read this somewhere. Hmm

What does the os have to do with new hardware?
    01-23-14 09:51 PM
    One cheap device no one here will want touch and one high-end device that'll please some folks.
    higherdestiny and h20work like this.
    01-23-14 09:53 PM
    One cheap device no one here will want touch and one high-end device that'll please some folks.
    Yep, looks to be a boring year device wise.

On the plus side, the stock has been over $10 for a few days in row. Small victories
    01-23-14 09:58 PM
    Which also led to BB10 not getting native apps. Developers were not interested, not even to take 15 minutes to repackage.

BlackBerry made writing apps free, provided plenty of languages to choose from, gave cash and hardware incentives, got standard dev tools ported, and held developers conferences. They made it extremely easy. It wasn't the Android runtime that stopped developers.
    I never said that the Android runtime alone stopped devs to make native apps, but it sure as hell didn't help.
    Since you apparently analysed the situation so well (you didn't), what hinders devs to make native apps?
    I might remind you that the app number in BBW, ignoring the app spam and subpar Android ports, isn't exactly overwhelming, even one year after its introduction.

You seemed to have forgotten that Windows Phone didn't gain traction until Nokia produced the very low-end phones, sub-$100 phones. There's a price point with adoption where the number of apps don't matter. The phone is disposable.
    It's a fact that the WP app store has more of the important big named apps compared to BBW.
    The same goes for the comment about all of them being native.
    It's not even worth disputing or discussing that.

If WP needed a better price point than before, to gain traction, then Nokia apparently understood the market better than BlackBerry.

Not to forget that there are a lot of different Android alternatives in the sub 100$ segment.
    If the WP app store wouldn't offer a significant number of important apps, then an Android would obviously be the better alternative.
    This implicates, that the growth for WP would have been far lower, without them.

BlackBerry isn't a small company. It can't go back in an instant to be a small player somewhere and grow slowly to be profitable. It needed huge volumes to be successful. BlackBerry going Android would mean it would be pitted against Samsung, HTC, Sony, etc., not the little players.
    You asked how Android manufacturers are doing and I answered.
    Local manufacturers are emerging more and more and there are Chinese manufacturers only selling in China, that outsell BB10.
    Oh, and they make a profit.

Apart from that, we haven't seen one single of the "bigger" Android manufacturers go broke, did we?
    Yes, some make losses, some are close to break even and others have a slight profit.
    Then there is Samsung.

But you seem to ignore one very important fact: BlackBerry realises losses, as well.
    And arguably, they lose even more than the Android manufacturers you refer too.
    Personally I prefer BB10, but factually speaking, it's very doubtful that BlackBerry would lose even more when they go down the full Android road.
    (But then I remember about the Android runtime, and that BlackBerry actually uses a part of Android in every single BB10 phone they sell. So you may have a point that Android is kinda toxic)

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 10:26 PM
    Do you know, or are you allowed to comment on the display?
    If it's a 720p one again, I may as well switch to another phone.

I would be very pleased if you can give me a little hint.
    Something along the lines of:
    "They may need to update the dev guidelines soon, concerning display resolutions".

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 10:32 PM
    Do you know, or are you allowed to comment on the display?
    If it's a 720p one again, I may as well switch to another phone.

I would be very pleased if you can give me a little hint.
    Something along the lines of:
    "They may need to update the dev guidelines soon, concerning display resolutions".

Posted via CB10
    Probably a Qwerty device with a somewhat larger screen but still not 1080.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    01-23-14 11:02 PM
    Probably a Qwerty device with a somewhat larger screen but still not 1080.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    Blaize said that they launch a new High-end phone.

I hope that it is a touchscreen one, because I am not that interested in a Qwerty one.

If they only make a physical keyboard device this year, they just lost a potential customer.
    I normally upgrade once a year, sometimes twice, which means that my Z10 will be replaced soon.

The Z30 is not an option.
    If I want to get underwhelmed, I can buy a Moto G for the fraction of the price a Z30 would cost.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 11:09 PM
    What does the os have to do with new hardware?
    Nothing. Merely responding to:
    I don't, and for now we've heard nothing of a z10 update.
    There I even quoted it in case you forgot

01-24-14 12:33 AM
224 ... 56789