I wouldn't say "can't".

Attachment 241032
    I will say can't, since it's an option on my Z and it does not work. Not sure how else to describe something that does not work. Suggestions?
    JeepBB and delroyj like this.
    01-23-14 11:50 AM
    I will say can't, since it's an option on my Z and it does not work. Not sure how else to describe something that does not work. Suggestions?
    Not available.
    DNLA is certified for BB10, your phone may or may not have it activated due to software or hardware issues/restrictions.

I'm guessing it is a particular type of DNLA that you are attempting that doesn't work.
    01-23-14 12:48 PM
    I love my Z10 and have noe plans of upgrading this year anyway. I just hope the next Z10 has the same size as the HTC One from 2013. That phone is a beauty too.
    01-23-14 12:48 PM
    And the fact of the matter is so can the Z30. Someone did mention miracast earlier right?

Edit: also refer to quoted post below.

Posted via CB10
    All I want is an answer as to what real world things can it do! I'm not interested in specs. Specs don't matter remember.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 12:53 PM
    The iPhone still can't do NFC.
    The iPhone still has a "home" button. Good grief! It's 2014!
    I'm not here to discuss the iPhone

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 12:54 PM
    There are YouTube videos and threads here with people using the Z10 and DLNA, as early as February 2013. Perhaps the videos or threads might provide some useful hints?
    01-23-14 12:57 PM
    Also why are you looking to replace the z30 as the flagship....... it's like it's been out for years, it's not even 6mo old.

Posted via CB10
    I don't know why the OP wants to replace it, but I deem it as a necessity because the Z30 wasn't a flagship when it launched.
    It was "just" an overpriced midrange phone, that may have been awesome for a BlackBerry but it was pretty underwhelming when compared to other flagships.

Posted via CB10
    LWKING and WorkStation 0 like this.
    01-23-14 12:57 PM
    This is my first post in the topic. I've been following and I really think this has gone on much longer than it should have.

The Z30 supports USB On the Go. The Z10 and Q10 do not support this.

The Z30 supports Miracast, which the Q10 does not. These are features exclusive to the Z30, making it more than just an upgraded Z10.

The upgraded GPU, CPU, larger battery, better speakers, and Paratek antenna coupled with the glass weave back cover lead to an improvement in cellular reception. The Z30, which actual owners will agree to, is a worthy successor to the Z10.

I am in no way bashing you, but from your posts, it doesn't seem like you're personally familiar with the new OS leaks. If you were, I believe the nature of your post would be a bit more positive. It's a pattern that I've noticed between leakers and non-leakers on the forums. All of that is fine.

Despite what many people in this thread are saying, they are misunderstanding what John Chen's message is. BlackBerry as a company is expanding its focus to be more than just a handset maker. They're not giving up on phones altogether. Chen said himself that there is no BlackBerry without BlackBerries! Rest assured, the Jakarta will release, along with higher end phones for 2014. He did say that in the future, he'd like to focus more on QWERTY models, but that does not mean a touchscreen update isn't in the works.

The models that were cancelled for this year we're budget models that BlackBerry would have produced themselves. This is where the Foxconn deal and the Jakarta come into play.

It can be argued that leaked information of new devices has been more detrimental to BlackBerry than otherwise. I, for one, wanted them to stop leaking long ago. I hope that they don't leak this time as well. At this point, it's better for shareholders and investors to hear that BlackBerry is, indeed, changing. Any news of new devices would distort this message. It's better to announce less than a month before release to build up excitement so that it's at its peak when consumers can actually purchase it. I'm not saying they're doing this, but I certainly hope so.

Posted with my Q10!
    Thank you for your post . So we have USB on the go and miracast. Which I had forgotten about.
    Trust me I run the leaks. I am very familiar with them. The latest leak is what has lost my faith in BlackBerry in all honesty.
    I agree totally that while BlackBerry have only confirmed a qwerty it doesn't mean a touchscreen is not coming. But it also doesn't mean a touchscreen is.
    Do you know what I mean?

Should I wait around to see if a high end touch is coming?
    Why not mention that it's in the works? That way people would know that they are not waiting for something that may not exist

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 01:00 PM
    I don't know why the OP wants to replace it, but I deem it as a necessity because the Z30 wasn't a flagship when it launched.
    It was "just" an overpriced midrange phone, that may have been awesome for a BlackBerry but it was pretty underwhelming when compared to other flagships.

Posted via CB10
    In all honesty I'm concerned that the biggest step BlackBerry 10 has made has been updating and developing the android part of the os

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 01:01 PM
    I'm not here to discuss the iPhone

Posted via CB10
    You said the Z30 is "old".
    Yet, compared to the competition, it is not.

The real world tech is the Paratek antenna. That is what gives the Z30 an edge in reception and batter life.
    Of course, there is the multi-mic noise cancellation feature as well, that gives the Z30 superior sound quality when using it as a phone.

I don't know, but those 2 items seem to be very important for a phone.
    01-23-14 01:05 PM
    Doesn't the moto x have essentially the same cpu/gpu and screen res as the Z30? The Z30 has a much better battery, speakers and expandable memory. I think the Moto x would be a downgrade.

Posted via CB10
    The Moto X will surely be a downgrade coming from a Z30, if apps aren't all you need.

Going by the price of the Z30 and the hardware similarities with the MotoX, one has to wonder why the Z30 is 5 times as expensive.
    Under that PoV, I don't see any reason to get the Z30 at all.
    Its price is obscene for the hardware it uses.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 01:08 PM
    Should I wait around to see if a high end touch is coming? Why not mention that it's in the works? That way people would know that they are not waiting for something that may not exist
    I'm beginning to think this thread is a huge waste of time since there's no satisfactory answer for the OP, on anything.
    deptech and badiyee like this.
    01-23-14 01:13 PM
    No -- the lack of a next gen BB10 device won't harm BBRY at this stage. The consumer market doesn't consider BB10 as a viable competitor to Android and iOS so launching a new BB10 device given the abysmal sales performance of the existing devices would be foolish. BBRY would be better served by working on a relaunch of BB10 with a truly industry beating flagship device and a more mature BB10 platform.
    01-23-14 01:13 PM

Should I wait around to see if a high end touch is coming?
    Why not mention that it's in the works? That way people would know that they are not waiting for something that may not exist

Posted via CB10
    They still haven't announced that they will support 1080p displays.
    This alone tells me, that BlackBerry either understands something else under a high-end flagship, than the rest of the world, or that a flagship is far far far away from coming to market.

Devs need to be informed about resolution changes, so that they can update their apps.
    Since nothing of the like has happened until now, I don't see why I should expect a flagship in the coming months.

In all honesty I'm concerned that the biggest step BlackBerry 10 has made has been updating and developing the android part of the os

Posted via CB10
    I totally agree there, but I am not a fan of the runtime anyhow.
    If they bet on Android (or a part of it) to save them, they probably could have gone full Android and customize it with better results.

For me the Android runtime was a huge waste of time, that discourages devs to make native apps.
    I didn't see it like that in the beginning, but after nearly a year of commercial availability, I do think that implementing the runtime was a huge mistake.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 01:15 PM
    ideally what i would like to see is 1 high end touch device, 1 high end qwerty, 1 entry point touch and 1 entry point qwerty come out each year.
    Dont get me wrong i'm not saying that The S5 is going to be amazing. I'm just saying fans of that device have something to look forward too whereas we are not sure what is happening
    I see 5 devices a year as a minimum requirement for BlackBerry.
    1 Touch and 1 keyboard entry device.
    1 Touch mid-range device.
    1 keyboard and 1 touch option in the high-end.
    The 6th device could be a high-end slider.

This is an approach that is closer to Samsung than to Apple.
    I see it like this, because BlackBerry needs to get BB10 in as much hands as possible, and that only works if you can cover all segments.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 01:23 PM
    If they bet on Android (or a part of it) to save them, they probably could have gone full Android and customize it with better results.

For me the Android runtime was a huge waste of time, that discourages devs to make native apps.
    I didn't see it like that in the beginning, but after nearly a year of commercial availability, I do think that implementing the runtime was a huge mistake.
    It's not like the first version of the Android runtime ran everything and there was no need to write native versions. Even for the apps that worked under the runtime, developers weren't even spending the minimal time to repackage. Developers were not interested. The big push for better Android support was probably a result of this lack of interest. Users now have a chance at getting desired apps with the newer runtime.

As for going full Android, how has that worked out for the majority of Android handset manufacturers? They've skinned Android to set themselves apart and that hasn't been profitable. If they don't skin, it'll just be a specs or marketing game, both of which BlackBerry hasn't been good at, as the OP and you have pointed out.
    01-23-14 01:38 PM
    They still haven't announced that they will support 1080p displays.
    This alone tells me, that BlackBerry either understands something else under a high-end flagship, than the rest of the world, or that a flagship is far far far away from coming to market.

Devs need to be informed about resolution changes, so that they can update their apps.
    Since nothing of the like has happened until now, I don't see why I should expect a flagship in the coming months.

Posted via CB10
    I was wondering when you'd come around! I appreciate your practical/no BS point of view.

As for as the 1080p display, being announced, I don't think we'll see a full touch device anytime soon. My bet is a Q3 - Q4 release for that. This applies to the point that the OP made as well. Since the Z30 just came out, it's way too early to be announcing it's successor. I wouldn't expect any leaks for awhile. If July came around without any buzz, then I'd assume the worst.

Any newly leaked info will either be about the Jakarta or a Q10 replacement, which will likely not include a 1080p display since the Q10 can't and the Jakarta is a budget device.

As far as the runtime goes, I don't think BlackBerry had a choice. In order to get devs producing onto your platform, you have to have a userbase to make it seem profitable to do so. If BB10 didn't support this, it would make it even less appealing. Many more would have moved on if they couldn't get certain apps ported from Android.

As far as innovation is concerned, who is really innovating now? I mean REAL innovation. Innovation occurs in the early period of growth. Refinement begins to take over after that. The mobile industry is in a refinement period right now. Begging for innovation after innovation is asking for too much from ANY company atm. This is where technological convergence is dominant. You see this in Apple, Android, WP, and BlackBerry.

Therefore, a rehash of the Q10 and Z30 with updated specs, will be a flagship device. We'll have to wait and see what those rumored specs are though. Something tells me it'll be worthy of an upgrade.

Posted with my Q10!
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    01-23-14 01:44 PM
    I don't think the problem is the lack of information about the next gen BB10 devices. My concern is how quickly these will come to market. True, the Z30 just came out and it's a great device, and the specs for the Q30 look great. However, BlackBerry has a knack for leaking specs for devices that sound amazing at the time, but then the devices don't drop for several months to over a year later, and by that time the competition has moved on. Think about how long we knew about the OS7 and BB10 devices before they came to market. I had only been a member here for a few weeks in 2009 before I started seeing leaks of the rumored "hybrid" bold that was to become the 99xx. The Aristo (Z30) leaks started around Fall of 2012. So it stands to reason that even though we have a roadmap of future devices, we might not see them for quite awhile. Unless, of course, manufacturing at Foxconn speeds up that process.
    01-23-14 01:45 PM
    Me too.
    I'm about a month from my current phone converting itself into a paperweight. The battery life is really shaky. Some days it's fine. The next, I have to keep it plugged in all day.
    If BlackBerry doesn't produce a slider, then I'm not sure what I'll do. Whatever I purchase though, it takes me off the market for a couple of years.
    I think there are a lot of people who are waiting for a 2nd round of BB10 devices to see if they are going to convert back to BlackBerry, or give up on Blackberry and stick with something else.

Give me a slider and I'm the happiest person in the world. BlackBerry will be complete, offering all kind of phone devices. All touch, Qwerty, Slider... that's amazing choice!

Posted from my Q10 with only 1GB of RAM
    ppeters914 likes this.
    01-23-14 01:48 PM
    I don't think the problem is the lack of information about the next gen BB10 devices. My concern is how quickly these will come to market. True, the Z30 just came out and it's a great device, and the specs for the Q30 look great. However, BlackBerry has a knack for leaking specs for devices that sound amazing at the time, but then the devices don't drop for several months to over a year later, and by that time the competition has moved on. Think about how long we knew about the OS7 and BB10 devices before they came to market. I had only been a member here for a few weeks in 2009 before I started seeing leaks of the rumored "hybrid" bold that was to become the 99xx. The Aristo (Z30) leaks started around Fall of 2012. So it stands to reason that even though we have a roadmap of future devices, we might not see them for quite awhile. Unless, of course, manufacturing at Foxconn speeds up that process.
    Totally agree. This is a priority issue that BlackBerry need to fix.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 01:49 PM
    I see 5 devices a year as a minimum requirement for BlackBerry.
    1 Touch and 1 keyboard entry device.
    1 Touch mid-range device.
    1 keyboard and 1 touch option in the high-end.
    The 6th device could be a high-end slider.

This is an approach that is closer to Samsung than to Apple.
    I see it like this, because BlackBerry needs to get BB10 in as much hands as possible, and that only works if you can cover all segments.

Posted via CB10
    I actually don't see it this way. I think nowadays, in the US at least, people want the best of the best. Instead of getting a device that they can afford, they save up until they can get what they want. I don't think anybody has an interest in cheap BlackBerries. It's hard enough getting traction with high end BlackBerries. It also affects the image that the company portrays. If BlackBerry only produces quality devices, they will be known for quality devices. That's exactly what Apple is known for. They tried to cater to other areas with the 5C, which isn't a bad device at all, and failed. People would rather save up for the device that they want, than to get what they can afford -- Keeping up with the Jones's if you will.

Posted with my Q10!
    01-23-14 01:50 PM
    I really want to see BlackBerry do well. I bought stock for one of my kids not long ago.

But we really *don't* know what's in the pipeline. We know a bit about what they are working on, but not enough to result in real confidence or excitement. Also, no real solid expectations regarding release dates.

Yes, by all accounts, the Z30 is a pretty cool device. But it also, by many accounts, has some drawbacks. Even if I just wanted a slab phone and was determined to buy a BlackBerry, I'd likely be holding out for the next version, because I want a better camera than the Z30 is reported to have. And I want a physical keyboard with a large screen, which to me means a slider. ... So I am very anxious for someone to leak some shots of what's being tested in beta. Maybe it will give me reason to hang on and wait a bit longer before I go out and find a refurbished Dell Venue Pro.

The title of the post implies there is a lack of future devices, but that is not the case, we know what is in the pipeline for the next 6 months, 2 new devices, not to mention the new and awesome current device, the Z30.

Z30 on 2.2.1.1925 in Canada
    01-23-14 02:07 PM
    All I want is an answer as to what real world things can it do! I'm not interested in specs. Specs don't matter remember.

Posted via CB10
    What are you talking about? What real world things are you talking about that the iPhone can do different than previous iphones?

Posted via CB10
    habs_fan likes this.
    01-23-14 02:08 PM
    Somewhat related ... Even if I agreed that the Z30 were awesome, I can't get an AT&T version.
    Hopefully the next releases somehow help to mend fences with the folks at AT&T.

You said the Z30 is "old".
    Yet, compared to the competition, it is not.

The real world tech is the Paratek antenna. That is what gives the Z30 an edge in reception and batter life.
    Of course, there is the multi-mic noise cancellation feature as well, that gives the Z30 superior sound quality when using it as a phone.

I don't know, but those 2 items seem to be very important for a phone.
    01-23-14 02:11 PM
    At the very least they have to upgrade there hardware every 2 years. In 2 years if there isnt a next generation Z10/Z30 what would I buy as a consumer? Buy that time there hardware has to improve so people continue to buy your product. Also I would think they stop allowing newer OS upgrades on the older generation models.
    01-23-14 02:19 PM
224 ... 34567 ...