Actually I'm on a Z10, and I'm very satisfied with its performance and with the O.S. features, instead I'm not really enthusiastic about the form factor. I've already decided that my next phone will be smaller (not larger than an iphone 5), if there will be such a device from blackberry I will take it, otherwise I will look to an android phone.
    From the present blackberry lineup my choice would be a 9790, but I do not want to return to bbos (and I already have a bb9900).

Alfredo
    01-23-14 05:03 AM
    so the 23rd is not remotely close to the 31st?
    as for the rest of it you missed the point completely
    Please elaborate. I have stated my point clearly, that it will be awkward to expect a company like BlackBerry to pump out more than 4 devices (which was exactly on par with what they have planned for 2013 roadmap).

Unless you're trying to squirrel away with just a "you missed my point", to which I will say the same to you, OP... That you missed the point of how I saw your OP title, and the awkwardness of the expectations for BlackBerry to be pumping out more phones due to "lack of next gen phones".
    habs_fan likes this.
    01-23-14 05:04 AM
    I keep seeing people mention the z30. I'm curious.
    What makes the z30 a next gen device over the z10?

Posted via CB10
    It features a more modern processor with improvements including advanced branch prediction, cache improvements and of course a 200Mhz speedbump.
    It features a significantly improved graphics subsystem with quad core GPUs.
    It features a larger 5" OLED screen offering more visual space and improved power usage
    It features an improved antenna design
    It features a significantly larger battery (2880mAh)
    It features upgrades including Miracast and FM radio capabilities
    It features a completely redesigned and revamped stereo audio speaker system
    It features a completely redesigned noise cancellation microphone array

How much more "next gen" do you want?
    habs_fan and deptech like this.
    01-23-14 05:33 AM
    It features a more modern processor with improvements including advanced branch prediction, cache improvements and of course a 200Mhz speedbump.
    It features a larger 5" OLED screen offering more visual space and improved power usage

not to mention it has double the amount of cores altogether.

Z10, dual core proc with single core GPU.
    z30, dual core proc with quad core GPU.

and that's like a world of difference, even in real life usage, If my memory still serves me right.
    deptech and Sexy Sadie like this.
    01-23-14 05:55 AM
    Please elaborate. I have stated my point clearly, that it will be awkward to expect a company like BlackBerry to pump out more than 4 devices (which was exactly on par with what they have planned for 2013 roadmap).

Unless you're trying to squirrel away with just a "you missed my point", to which I will say the same to you, OP... That you missed the point of how I saw your OP title, and the awkwardness of the expectations for BlackBerry to be pumping out more phones due to "lack of next gen phones".
    My point is about the lack of future devices coming. Not about the devices they have made. This time last year we knew of 2 devices definitely coming and rumours of 2 more.
    This time we know 1 device is coming that is going to be roughly on par with the z10 or q5 and rumours of 1 qwerty. But nothing else

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 06:28 AM

What happened to specs don't matter!
    Ok forget all the specs. Tell me what a z30 can do that a z10 can't. Not including better battery and louder music.
    I maintain that the z30 is a hell of an improved device for the current gen. But I can not see it as next gen

Posted via CB10
    aniym likes this.
    01-23-14 06:30 AM
    My point is about the lack of future devices coming. Not about the devices they have made. This time last year we knew of 2 devices definitely coming and rumours of 2 more.
    This time we know 1 device is coming that is going to be roughly on par with the z10 or q5 and rumours of 1 qwerty. But nothing else

Posted via CB10

What is "lack of future devices coming"? The reduction from 4 planned devices in 2014 in the past roadmap and cut it down to two?

Or you're expecting the company to release phones after phones, every single week, and when a competitor phone maker releases a new phone BlackBerry retaliates by releasing a phone with almost similar / slightly upgraded specs right after their opposition even if they just released their last phone less than 1 month ago? Like that?

Ok forget all the specs. Tell me what a z30 can do that a z10 can't. Not including better battery and louder music.
    I maintain that the z30 is a hell of an improved device for the current gen. But I can not see it as next gen

Posted via CB10
    If a next gen phone is about doing something what the predecessor can't, that is just like asking a Samsung galaxy S4 (was it that's the latest reiteration of the s series) is a next gen just because it can do a split screen that the s2 can't, therefore S4 is "next gen". (Ignoring the fact that the s2 can still make phone calls, write sms, load IMs in it, play some games no matter how laggy, etc just like the s4)

Again, you have not even defined "next gen", nor what quantifies as "lack of next gen". You're just beating the bush, and therefore, missing the point that I've been hammering on from the beginning; which is what is lacking of next gen that's supposedly going to even harm BlackBerry as you claimed?

What do you expect them to do? Make a new phone iteration every week?

Make a quad core phone this week?
    Then releases a octacore phone this week?
    Then release a 16 core phone the week after?
    Then release a 32 core phone with a 4k display just to tout 'its frickin' next gen by numbers yo!" a month after the first quadcore phone was released?

Again, much squirelling.
    01-23-14 07:25 AM
    The title of the post implies there is a lack of future devices, but that is not the case, we know what is in the pipeline for the next 6 months, 2 new devices, not to mention the new and awesome current device, the Z30.

Z30 on 2.2.1.1925 in Canada
    Sexy Sadie likes this.
    01-23-14 07:33 AM

Posted via CB10
    What can the galaxy S4 do that the S3 can't (besides some gimmick the Noone actually uses)? Same for the iPhone. Heck what can the iPhone 5S do that the IPhone 4 can't?
    If you want to make that argument about the Z30 then you have put some unrealistic expectation on BlackBerry. Apple has over 100 Billion in cash and haven't "innovated" in years. What's your point?

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 07:37 AM
    What is "lack of future devices coming"? The reduction from 4 planned devices in 2014 in the past roadmap and cut it down to two?

Or you're expecting the company to release phones after phones, every single week, and when a competitor phone maker releases a new phone BlackBerry retaliates by releasing a phone with almost similar / slightly upgraded specs right after their opposition even if they just released their last phone less than 1 month ago? Like that?

If a next gen phone is about doing something what the predecessor can't, that is just like asking a Samsung galaxy S4 (was it that's the latest reiteration of the s series) is a next gen just because it can do a split screen that the s2 can't, therefore S4 is "next gen". (Ignoring the fact that the s2 can still make phone calls, write sms, load IMs in it, play some games no matter how laggy, etc just like the s4)

Again, you have not even defined "next gen", nor what quantifies as "lack of next gen". You're just beating the bush, and therefore, missing the point that I've been hammering on from the beginning; which is what is lacking of next gen that's supposedly going to even harm BlackBerry as you claimed?

What do you expect them to do? Make a new phone iteration every week?

Make a quad core phone this week?
    Then releases a octacore phone this week?
    Then release a 16 core phone the week after?
    Then release a 32 core phone with a 4k display just to tout 'its frickin' next gen by numbers yo!" a month after the first quadcore phone was released?

Again, much squirelling.
    In regards to your first point, there is a distinct lack of road map information which was my point.
    As to the second it's clear that next generation is a disputed term. I think that the s4 is clearly a later gen phone than the s2.
    My question was do you think it will harm BlackBerry and I think it will have an adverse effect.
    I think BlackBerry needs to improve the next phones to make them more enhanced then what we have now. That could be voice control like the moto X for example.
    The rest of your post is obnoxious and not worth me bothering with. I quite clearly stated earlier in the thread I don't expect a phone every week.
    Finally, if you can't have a civil discussion please refrain from posting in this thread. I'm not interested in arguments and insults.
    I genuinely want to know what people think and some people have disagreed with me in constructive manner that has raised points I never considered. If I wanted mocking and insults I will ask for them

Posted via CB10
    Drew808 and h20work like this.
    01-23-14 07:51 AM
    "I didn't know BlackBerry is making phones like this" is harming BlackBerry. The BB10 devices are quite good
    01-23-14 07:52 AM
    What can the galaxy S4 do that the S3 can't (besides some gimmick the Noone actually uses)? Same for the iPhone. Heck what can the iPhone 5S do that the IPhone 4 can't?
    If you want to make that argument about the Z30 then you have put some unrealistic expectation on BlackBerry. Apple has over 100 Billion in cash and haven't "innovated" in years. What's your point?

Posted via CB10
    The fact is the s4 and the iPhone 5s can do something that their predecessors cant. It doesn't matter if you think it's a gimmick.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB and Drew808 like this.
    01-23-14 07:52 AM
    "I didn't know BlackBerry is making phones like this" is harming BlackBerry. The BB10 devices are quite good
    I agree.
    But I feel that is more of a marketing discussion

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 07:53 AM
    I suppose that with the strong-ish reminder to anyone listening, that BlackBerry are in the market of selling solutions (albeit lately softening up on their previous strict adherence to vertical integration), they can eke it out for the time being, with their current lineup.

There are two thing that I, out of pure curiousity, would love to have some light shed upon:

1) Some data on the devices that Mr.Chen said were in the pipeline, and that he cancelled.

2) Given the above; Where does Mr.Louks intend to take devices? Is there any degree of brand "reinvention" involved?
    01-23-14 08:15 AM
    If it's true that BlackBerry is positioning themselves to be considered out of the running for the consumer driven side of the device market I couldn't be happier with their decision, yes, two devices a year. Some of the stuff in this very thread is what frustrates me everytime I decide to go talking in the forums. Teenagers and app-a-holics constantly complaining about apps and specs and latest software releases and so on and so on. So BlackBerry has made it clear their primary focus is enterprise, government and security. MDM solutions and so on. When will these same complainers actually notice what's going on and realize that the stuff they are constantly harping on is NOT the market BlackBerry is here to cater to? It's not a consumer oriented media and entertainment devoted platform. This is not Android or iOS.

Posted from BitPusher's Q10
    01-23-14 08:24 AM
    I just want OS updates in a timely fashion...figure out a way to bypass the middle man.

Posted via CB10 via Q10
    ppeters914 likes this.
    01-23-14 08:43 AM
    The fact is the s4 and the iPhone 5s can do something that their predecessors cant. It doesn't matter if you think it's a gimmick.

Posted via CB10
    And the fact of the matter is so can the Z30. Someone did mention miracast earlier right?

Edit: also refer to quoted post below.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by ray689; 01-23-14 at 09:58 AM.
    01-23-14 09:04 AM

You got it absolute right, the problem is that most people only care about the specs that are in paper, not actualy the real world performance...
    deptech and ray689 like this.
    01-23-14 09:29 AM

Posted via CB10
    This is my first post in the topic. I've been following and I really think this has gone on much longer than it should have.

The Z30 supports USB On the Go. The Z10 and Q10 do not support this.

The Z30 supports Miracast, which the Q10 does not. These are features exclusive to the Z30, making it more than just an upgraded Z10.

The upgraded GPU, CPU, larger battery, better speakers, and Paratek antenna coupled with the glass weave back cover lead to an improvement in cellular reception. The Z30, which actual owners will agree to, is a worthy successor to the Z10.

I am in no way bashing you, but from your posts, it doesn't seem like you're personally familiar with the new OS leaks. If you were, I believe the nature of your post would be a bit more positive. It's a pattern that I've noticed between leakers and non-leakers on the forums. All of that is fine.

Despite what many people in this thread are saying, they are misunderstanding what John Chen's message is. BlackBerry as a company is expanding its focus to be more than just a handset maker. They're not giving up on phones altogether. Chen said himself that there is no BlackBerry without BlackBerries! Rest assured, the Jakarta will release, along with higher end phones for 2014. He did say that in the future, he'd like to focus more on QWERTY models, but that does not mean a touchscreen update isn't in the works.

The models that were cancelled for this year we're budget models that BlackBerry would have produced themselves. This is where the Foxconn deal and the Jakarta come into play.

It can be argued that leaked information of new devices has been more detrimental to BlackBerry than otherwise. I, for one, wanted them to stop leaking long ago. I hope that they don't leak this time as well. At this point, it's better for shareholders and investors to hear that BlackBerry is, indeed, changing. Any news of new devices would distort this message. It's better to announce less than a month before release to build up excitement so that it's at its peak when consumers can actually purchase it. I'm not saying they're doing this, but I certainly hope so.

Posted with my Q10!
    habs_fan and deptech like this.
    01-23-14 10:06 AM
    The z30 is an old device that was released late.
    The main reason I want to see a new device is because I want to see something new from BlackBerry. I am genuinely concerned about BlackBerry 10. I have not seen anything fresh since launch and not much innovative moves.
    I want some indication of what BlackBerry intends to do with BlackBerry 10 and what direction they will take their devices.

Posted via CB10
    Get back to us when Apple, Samsung, Nokia or any other maker comes up with the Paratek antenna that is in the Z30.
    I'm guessing the pattens on it will prevent any competitor from making anything close to it.
    01-23-14 10:18 AM
    New slogan, "Don't need new Z device, need lower price".
    01-23-14 10:18 AM

Posted via CB10
    The iPhone still can't do NFC.
    The iPhone still has a "home" button. Good grief! It's 2014!
    habs_fan likes this.
    01-23-14 10:20 AM
    The iPhone still can't do NFC.
    The iPhone still has a "home" button. Good grief! It's 2014!
    BB10 still can't backup wirelessly, what is this 2008?

Bb10 still can't do DLNA.

Don't care about apple, but those are things bbos could do just fine.
    JeepBB and Drew808 like this.
    01-23-14 11:35 AM
    I just want OS updates in a timely fashion...figure out a way to bypass the middle man.

Posted via CB10 via Q10
    It's rumoured 10.2.1 will not depend on carriers and will be available worldwide at around the same time ota, which is not necessarily a good thing as it was carriers who wanted more control, so it means less support from carriers, of which 3 in the UK has already rejected the Z30, EE is putting it through extra tests..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    01-23-14 11:38 AM
    Bb10 still can't do DLNA.
    I wouldn't say "can't".

Will the lack of next gen BlackBerry 10 device harm BlackBerry?-bb10_dnla.png
    01-23-14 11:45 AM
224 ... 23456 ...