The z30 is an old device that was released late.
    The main reason I want to see a new device is because I want to see something new from BlackBerry. I am genuinely concerned about BlackBerry 10. I have not seen anything fresh since launch and not much innovative moves.
    I want some indication of what BlackBerry intends to do with BlackBerry 10 and what direction they will take their devices.

Posted via CB10
    The Z30 is a new device, and performs like a new device should, and the OS is very innovative, and gets better with each update, just saying...

Z30 on 2.2.1.1925 in Canada
    01-22-14 02:42 PM
    I like the points the OP made and being from the USA it bothers me a great deal that the Blackberry brand is all but dead here. I honestly believe by the DOD and Government agencies deciding to stick with the Blackberry brand will get the OS10 devices into the hands of some folks here and it will change how they feel about Blackberry and they will pass the word that it's worth looking it. You couldn't ask for better advertising.

I know a few folks here that have seen my z10 and played with the device and really like it, but they have a large investment into their current app ecosystem and are reluctant to change based on the bad press about Blackberry's current situation. I know the brand will never regain the market share they once had here because there is just to much competition. Apple and Google had embedded themselves into the culture here and thats going to take a long time to change.

But I think they can still tap into the folks looking for a reliable device that provides them with a solid messaging platform and enough of the core apps to do their daily task with and to me, that would be a very positive move in the right direction. Just my opinion.

PS: I have been looking very hard to find a z30 100-5 model here in the USA, I am on T-Mobile USA and they haven't told us anything whether they are going to carry the new z30 or not. I am still going to get one anyways, great device and I fell in love with it after I demoed it at the local Verizon store.
    Elite1 likes this.
    Give me a slider and I'm the happiest person in the world. BlackBerry will be complete, offering all kind of phone devices. All touch, Qwerty, Slider... that's amazing choice!

Posted from my Q10 with only 1GB of RAM
    Give me a slider and I'm the happiest person in the world. BlackBerry will be complete, offering all kind of phone devices. All touch, Qwerty, Slider... that's amazing choice!

Posted from my Q10 with only 1GB of RAM
    Ah, we meet again, my Expos friend!

Also, I agree with you. I would totally consider buying a slider phone.

Posted via CB10
    dalight13, ghundiraj and Doggerz like this.
    01-22-14 02:46 PM
    I don't realy want to see a phone out from 6 to 6 months... what does the Galaxy S4 has over the previous S3? those useless features that nobody uses like "air gestures" and "group play"? And I don't think the S5 will be any more impressive, except for the usual "spec ******s" that are douchebags that brag about their useless phone features when they have coffee with friends.
    01-22-14 02:51 PM
    I don't need a new model right now, I'm more than happy with my Z30 but if a Z50 comes out I'll definitely buy it

I guess the Foxconn devices will be to get momentum in developing markets but still think they should come out every year with a QXX and a ZXX high end devices, small batches for big clients and the fans, retier the last years as mid tier, so they have the Foxconns in the sub 200 dls, Q10 and Z30 in between the 350-500 dls, and the QXX and ZXX in the 600-800 dls at launch and factory unlocked.

For me just a Z30 with 64 GB of internal storage so I don't have to delete apps.
    Elite1 likes this.
    01-22-14 02:51 PM
    It's not the devices themselves that are holding Blackberry back. The Z10 and Z30 are both reasonably solid devices. It's the ecosystem that has been holding them back. People's perceptions are what is holding them back. Most people still think of the OS7 devices when they think Blackberry. They think of their limitations - what they can't do, the apps they don't have. When 10.2.1 is finally officially released (leaks don't count in the mainstream world), then they need to step up the marketing to get the word out that they are not the old Blackberry. They are easy to use. They have apps (though many are not native). They also need to make it easy to switch from iOS and Android. Apple does a great job of locking people into their ecosystem.

If they can change mainstream perception of Blackberry, then they stand a chance at getting back a little market share. Otherwise, they could release the greatest device known to man and it won't make any difference.
    bakron1, Elite1, milo53 and 2 others like this.
    01-22-14 02:54 PM
    Hold, on.

*re-reads the OP's title*

Will the LACK of next gen BlackBerry 10 device harm BlackBerry
    We're not EVEN that close to January 31st, where UK first got the BlackBerry Z10.

Emphasis, January 31st, 2013.

Today is January 23rd, 2014.

Within these less than 365 days...

Z10,
    Q10
    Z5
    Z30

.. That's 4 devices, roughly one in 3 months aggregate average.

Wow, they should have released MORE? For a company that people beat up and kick while its lying on the floor, and people can still say "lack of BlackBerry 10 devices". WOW.

Its like asking BlackBerry to come out with new reiterations of phones, Samsung style when they can't even ship the volume or cost-cutting.

Like, wow.

Okay, BlackBerry is lacking a next gen phone.

*nod nod nod nod nod nod*
    Last edited by elite1; 01-22-14 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Fixed BB code tags
    01-22-14 03:37 PM
    I like the points the OP made and being from the USA it bothers me a great deal that the Blackberry brand is all but dead here. I honestly believe by the DOD and Government agencies deciding to stick with the Blackberry brand will get the OS10 devices into the hands of some folks here and it will change how they feel about Blackberry and they will pass the word that it's worth looking it. You couldn't ask for better advertising.

I know a few folks here that have seen my z10 and played with the device and really like it, but they have a large investment into their current app ecosystem and are reluctant to change based on the bad press about Blackberry's current situation. I know the brand will never regain the market share they once had here because there is just to much competition. Apple and Google had embedded themselves into the culture here and thats going to take a long time to change.

But I think they can still tap into the folks looking for a reliable device that provides them with a solid messaging platform and enough of the core apps to do their daily task with and to me, that would be a very positive move in the right direction. Just my opinion.

PS: I have been looking very hard to find a z30 100-5 model here in the USA, I am on T-Mobile USA and they haven't told us anything whether they are going to carry the new z30 or not. I am still going to get one anyways, great device and I fell in love with it after I demoed it at the local Verizon store.
    The dod are not purchasing any bb10 devices. I'm afraid you were misinformed.

t-mobile stopped stocking any bb10 phones and recently removed them from their online stores.
    milo53 and JeepBB like this.
    01-22-14 03:38 PM
    I'd be surprised if we don't see a Z12 out late this year.
    Updated processor and much bigger battery.
    The problem with updating the Z30 is the only real improvement that can be made is giving it a 1080p screen and Chen has basically indicated that this wont be happening any time soon. Other than that what can they do?
    The Z10s battery is not as good as it should be and I think they will remedy that with the Z12 or whatever they call it

Posted via CB10
    01-22-14 03:41 PM
    Just got my Z10 2 months ago so can wait for blackberry to bring out new model

Perception of blackberry is bad but I don't give a ------ what other people think of my phone choice I have better things to do with my life

So blackberry need to change perceptions more than they need a new phone

I hope blackberry stay in the consumer space but understand if they don't, as they have to make a profit , only apple/samsung are doing this , so should blackberry join LG, Sony, HTC, etc in losing cash ?
    01-22-14 03:41 PM
    They already have "next gen" devices, at least compared to the competition. They need to focus on winning where they can get the big and easy wins in enterprise and government. The 80,000-unit sale to the DoD is just the beginning.

Once the company's on solid footing, they can get back into the consumer game, and they only need one big winner there, just like Steve Jobs scored a hit with the iPod.
    Sexy Sadie and Jrox74 like this.
    01-22-14 03:58 PM
    Balance sheet arguments aside, from a device standpoint I think it's more important that BlackBerry only release "flagship phones" when they truly bring something new and great to the table. IMHO, the Z10 and Q10 did this in launching BB10, and so did the Z30 with the paratek antenna, natural sound, crazy battery life, and the first BlackBerry 'phablet' - though less important, the spec bump and USB host capability are also welcome upgrades.

Unless BlackBerry can bring another 'real' hardware innovation, they just need to keep making BlackBerry 10 software and services better and better - which they are doing at a very gratifying pace for the 'leakers' among us. Bring on BBM Voice and Video for iOS and Android, bring on BlackBerry Blend Dashboard and Fuse, bring on seamless Android support, iron the bugs out of BlackBerry Link.

Keep building the software that makes BlackBerry the pinnacle of mobile productivity. Then blow some socks off with a truly innovative flagship phone that maximizes the impact of that software.
    Elite1, anand_ma and Shadowyugi like this.
    01-22-14 04:04 PM
    Please don't take this as a confirmation or denial of the above. I don't have that information. But IF they are working on something NOT ANNOUNCING it is the the right move. Keep it completely understand wraps until it's ready and polished. Then launch it. That way nobody is expecting it and nobody is let down by delays.

Posted via CB10
    I see your point.

Though when i say announce it, i mean like Sony did with the Z2 where they revealed that there WOULD be a Z2 but gave no details.
    Something like that would let blackberry fans know that something is in the works and maybe it is worth waiting to see what comes out rather then assume nothing is coming out any time soon
    Elite1 and Shadowyugi like this.
    01-22-14 04:29 PM
    Does anyone know how many Z10s they still have piled up in warehouses?
    I'm sure they'd want to get as many of these shifted as possible before they announce its replacement. But as I said it will need an upgrade before the end of the year.
    01-22-14 04:36 PM
    Doesn't the moto x have essentially the same cpu/gpu and screen res as the Z30? The Z30 has a much better battery, speakers and expandable memory. I think the Moto x would be a downgrade.

Posted via CB10
    Yes you are correct there, however the screen is smaller so should be better quality and so far i've not been impressed by what i've seen of the Z30's screen.
    Speakers i do not know about and will have to find someone with a z30 so i can see for myself. i'm not trusting this site as they claimed that the Z10 speaker output was perfectly fine when it is poor.
    Expandable memory could be an issue but i've never filled a sd card or a device's memory so it shouldn't affect me.

Battery wise, i hear both devices can get through a day so coupled with my preference for smaller devices i am leaning towards the moto x.

The moto x also comes with a host of features while the z30 offers next to nothing over my z10 other then better battery and speakers.

I have tried the z30 and if i never had the z10 i probably would have gone for it
    01-22-14 04:39 PM
    I don't realy want to see a phone out from 6 to 6 months... what does the Galaxy S4 has over the previous S3? those useless features that nobody uses like "air gestures" and "group play"? And I don't think the S5 will be any more impressive, except for the usual "spec ******s" that are douchebags that brag about their useless phone features when they have coffee with friends.
    ideally what i would like to see is 1 high end touch device, 1 high end qwerty, 1 entry point touch and 1 entry point qwerty come out each year.
    Dont get me wrong i'm not saying that The S5 is going to be amazing. I'm just saying fans of that device have something to look forward too whereas we are not sure what is happening
    01-22-14 04:42 PM
    The Z30 is a new device, and performs like a new device should, and the OS is very innovative, and gets better with each update, just saying...

Z30 on 2.2.1.1925 in Canada
    Right i'm going to be very unpopular for saying this, but what has Blackberry 10 innovated since launch?
    The latest pending update especially has done the opposite of innovation and i think it speaks volume for the platform that the biggest thing coming is an update for the runtime for another platform.

What direction is Blackberry 10 heading? What innovations is coming out for it?
    I have no idea to the answer to these questions and that is why i have become wary to commit to it for another two years as in my opinion the platform has stood still in the race against its competitors.
    Yes there has been plenty of updates but our main accomplishment is gaining access to apps for android.
    Blackberry 10 was innovative at launch. Its been a year and it hasn't moved on too much since then.
    Shadowyugi and Rello like this.
    01-22-14 04:48 PM
    Hold, on.

*re-reads the OP's title*

We're not EVEN that close to January 31st, where UK first got the BlackBerry Z10.

Emphasis, January 31st, 2013.

Today is January 23rd, 2014.
    so the 23rd is not remotely close to the 31st?
    as for the rest of it you missed the point completely
    01-22-14 04:50 PM
    Correct sir, however that is also 80 thousand phones that will need to be replaced, or updated, Including all the other governments in the G7 how many phones is that. Being the only phone approved, they will have to choose BlackBerry. This also gives them a very secure image, catching the eye of many other countries and large organizations. Being that BlackBerry is rooted in security i see this as STILL a win for BlackBerry, for future partnerships and for making over their image to the public.
    Here you go:
    Governments Customers using Blackberry:
    Nov. , 2012: 1.4 million
    July 2013: 1 million

1.4 million Figure:NTSB drops 'unacceptable' BlackBerry for iPhone - Nov. 21, 2012
    1million Figure:
    "But Totzke pointed out that the company still has 1 million government users;"
    BlackBerry keeps losing customers as it tries to turn itself around - latimes.com

I don't really speculate on what will replace the 80k legacy BB's, but they are already piloting 1800 iOS and android devices.

if they wanted bb10 i don't see why they utilize fixmo's Mdm solution over bes10. That decision in itself is quite revealing.
    JeepBB and WorkStation 0 like this.
    01-22-14 05:02 PM
    Personally I was really looking forward to the BB10 launch this time last year. I was expecting fireworks from QNX and especially TAT. In the end I was massively disappointed by an offering that was so similar to the IOS and Android competition. It just didnt have enough to prompt people to switch.

As for the next gen, reading the forums there is confusion over whats in the pipeline. The announced enterprise focus has cloudied whether there will be further high-end device releases (yes, I know some are in development). This is a lack of clear, concise communication from the board, including Chen.

Maybe they can retreat into a small Enterprise niche and make some money (the stock market seems to think so), but personally I still think the brand can only be rebuilt by delivering innovative hardware, and after all, thats what crackberry enthusiasts want to see is it not?
    darkehawke, Shadowyugi and JeepBB like this.
    01-22-14 05:05 PM
    Personally I was really looking forward to the BB10 launch this time last year. I was expecting fireworks from QNX and especially TAT. In the end I was massively disappointed by an offering that was so similar to the IOS and Android competition. It just didnt have enough to prompt people to switch.

As for the next gen, reading the forums there is confusion over whats in the pipeline. The announced enterprise focus has cloudied whether there will be further high-end device releases (yes, I know some are in development). This is a lack of clear, concise communication from the board, including Chen.

Maybe they can retreat into a small Enterprise niche and make some money (the stock market seems to think so), but personally I still think the brand can only be rebuilt by delivering innovative hardware, and after all, thats what crackberry enthusiasts want to see is it not?
    I agree wholeheartedly
    Apparently there are claims that Blackberry are testing a new high end device as we speak.
    So maybe that will come with the innovation we seek and that could explain the slowdown in innovation for Blackberry 10.

I amy amend my option to wait it out
    01-22-14 05:07 PM
    Here you go:
    Governments Customers using Blackberry:
    Nov. , 2012: 1.4 million
    July 2013: 1 million

1.4 million Figure:NTSB drops 'unacceptable' BlackBerry for iPhone - Nov. 21, 2012
    1million Figure:
    "But Totzke pointed out that the company still has 1 million government users;"
    BlackBerry keeps losing customers as it tries to turn itself around - latimes.com

I don't really speculate on what will replace the 80k legacy BB's, but they are already piloting 1800 iOS and android devices.

if they wanted bb10 i don't see why they utilize fixmo's Mdm solution over bes10. That decision in itself is quite revealing.

http://defensesystems.com/articles/2...DefenseIT+&m=1

Doesn't say they aren't buying new devices and considering that

"BlackBerry became the first smartphone maker to secure DOD device management approval back in August 2013, ZDnet noted;The companys BlackBerry 10 phones were awarded an ?authority to operate,the highest level of certification for DOD networks;"

http://press.blackberry.com/press/20...municatio.html

And BlackBerry 10 is the only phone Nato approved but I guess that doesn't mean anything right? Lol what a joke

I'm guessing more and more governments will be going the way of BB10 give it time.
    Being the only device that is NATO approved is a big and good thing

Posted via CB10
    01-22-14 05:12 PM
    @ darkehawke

Surely the consumer and enterprise market are linked, I totally agree. The problem is though, that BlackBerry won't be able to benefit from this link the way Apple does. Apple infiltrated the enterprise market through consumers, with phones and tablets. BlackBerry can't do this, especially not with hardware. But what they can do, is totally improving and owning the enterprise MDM market, even when this means they have to support BYOD and therefore other's hardware offerings. What really has to happen, in the long run, is the public brand perception of BlackBerry. When the time comes BlackBerry releases a new high end phone, word on the street should be bo more 'oh look the struggling device dinosaur is still trying' from consumers, but 'wow the company running our company's MDM solution is launching a phone' from enterprise customers.

Posted via CB10
    darkehawke likes this.
    01-22-14 05:13 PM
    I agree wholeheartedly
    Apparently there are claims that Blackberry are testing a new high end device as we speak.
    So maybe that will come with the innovation we seek and that could explain the slowdown in innovation for Blackberry 10.

I amy amend my option to wait it out
    Can you define slow down in Blackberry 10? I've had 4 updates in 10 months. Not sure what you expect out of the OS? What have the other OS' available done that you consider innovation?

Posted via CB10
    habs_fan likes this.
    01-22-14 05:14 PM
224 1234 ...