View Poll Results: Will you switch platforms now?

Voters
189. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

33 17.46%
  • No

131 69.31%
  • Thinking about it now.

25 13.23%
    I think your math is a bit wrong, even bbm with 1kb per text message would use 780mb if it would send 800,000

Somehow I don't bebelive your math.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    your math is wrong belfast

800,000 messages / 200MB is
    4000 messages per MB,
    so 3.9messages per KB

which does seem a little low from my experience, but BBM is approximately 6 messages per KB consistently, I don't track exactly how many I send in a day but 1 message per KB would be pretty large messages since 1kb is about 128 characters, completely uncompressed
    06-12-11 02:47 PM
    your math is wrong belfast

800,000 messages / 200MB is
    4000 messages per MB,
    so 3.9messages per KB

which does seem a little low from my experience, but BBM is approximately 6 messages per KB consistently, I don't track exactly how many I send in a day but 1 message per KB would be pretty large messages since 1kb is about 128 characters, completely uncompressed
    My math was assuming one text bbm equaled 1kb(which is exagerated as I know I can send a short text and get a short reply for 1kb in bbm)

800000/1024kb(1mb) = 781.25mb

06-12-11 03:29 PM
    Assuming the data meter app that I bought is correct one text bbm is a few hundred bites but a few hundred more get used when the delivered and read notification arrive and same after you get a reply, your phone will send the same, delivered and read.

All in all you can send and receive a reply for 1kb in bbm

There is no way live profile would use less.

06-12-11 03:33 PM
    The dev just said how much (estimate) you would have to use on LiveProfile.
    06-12-11 03:47 PM
    Does that mean I should believe him? I don't by the way

Maybe he can answer this, does liveprofile use more data on other platform compared to blackberry?
    06-12-11 04:16 PM
    I am waiting for him to come back with some hard numbers.

How much data is transfered to keep contact with say 10 users? Data must be going back and forward for this, bbm does.
    How much compression is used on say a 128 char message? Does he have the data? I am very interested in where is 800,000 message for 200mb comes from. And how that is broken down.

06-12-11 05:31 PM
    So, I see many people say they won't switch from a BB because of BBM. Well
    now that iOS will have it's very own messaging platform which does the same
    between iOS devices (read/delivery receipts, picture and file sharing),
    will this make you switch now?
    Nope, I dont use BBM so IMessage is a non-player for me as well.

Tim
    06-12-11 07:03 PM
    NO WAY!

the removing of using PIN's in place for BBID's and the auto detection and adding to my list would FORCE me to leave blackberry's

I have approximately 81 people on my BBM list currently 50 or so I talk to nearly daily, I have some 900 semi regular contacts in my address book, and EASILY 500 of them are Blackberry users owners if not more of them.

I don't want in any way shape or form to have people automatically added to my BBM list, and be included in seeing my status, or picture.

The control over ones list through PIN, and the ability to just change ones PIN when buying a new phone is awesome

I just need to say this: Ease of use is what's important. RIM needs to appeal to a wider audience. If they steal this idea it will be more attractive because it's an awesome service (BBM) and it's easy to be transitioned into.

Watch any All Things Digital with Steve Jobs. His emphasis is making things as easy and user friendly as possible. Whether you like it or not, the pin system is flawed, outdated and not user friendly. RIM needs to move on from it.
    06-12-11 08:00 PM
    After working with Apple Inc controlling neo-Nazis, I will NEVER buy an Apple product for sure. Microsoft and Google management is nothing compared to Nazi Apple. Did you know that Apple ship their items using UPS and other special delivery systems while all the other companies use general distribution chains? Apple is too controlling and Apple has NO respect for their customers and their retail employees what so ever. For that reason along, I will NEVER buy an Apple product as long as there are other companies making similar products. BlackBerries or Android for life.
    06-12-11 08:10 PM
    I just need to say this: Ease of use is what's important. RIM needs to appeal to a wider audience. If they steal this idea it will be more attractive because it's an awesome service (BBM) and it's easy to be transitioned into.

Watch any All Things Digital with Steve Jobs. His emphasis is making things as easy and user friendly as possible. Whether you like it or not, the pin system is flawed, outdated and not user friendly. RIM needs to move on from it.

But the add everything system is flawed as well especially for business users, and in a market with people trying to use 1 phone for all, I think a bump to add system (apple has an app for bumping to share contacts) would be a good system keeping the pin system,

with the pin system you can have these user networks of people sharing their pin, that doesn't happen as much with email addresses or phone numbers, so you remove a social element out by removing the PIN, for those people who have 1 phone, and more contacts than me, I certainly don't want all my contacts on my bbm list, it would be unmanageable, the PIN system and complete control over the list works best in the business / consumer device as it makes it easy to keep the business and consumer stuff separate, I can send PIN to PIN messages for urgent things with business customers, but have my BBM as a different group completely.
    06-12-11 09:05 PM
    Does that mean I should believe him? I don't by the way

Maybe he can answer this, does liveprofile use more data on other platform compared to blackberry?
    It was obvious from the beginning that you didn't believe him.

I am waiting for him to come back with some hard numbers.

How much data is transfered to keep contact with say 10 users? Data must be going back and forward for this, bbm does.
    How much compression is used on say a 128 char message? Does he have the data? I am very interested in where is 800,000 message for 200mb comes from. And how that is broken down.

Hopefully the dev has something to say about this. It would be interesting to find out the actual numbers.
    06-12-11 10:22 PM
    nope. won't make me switch!
    06-12-11 11:49 PM
    It isn't just a question of offering a messaging service and all will switch to iPhones. BBM works in the youth market partly because it's free, but also because the entry level BBs are so cheap to buy or contract. It's a double attraction. Free messaging is less relevant the more you're paying for the phone for obvious reasons. if you're 15 years old and you can get a smartphone for free AND have free messaging - then that's a winner. If Apple do release their idea of a cheap iPhone Lite, then that may make a difference, but it's a premium product right now.
    06-13-11 05:27 AM
    They do a review of the differences here
    Crackberrynews.blogspot.com

06-13-11 11:50 AM
    Nothing will ever make me buy any CrApple product.

I hate CrApple and everything they stand for. They are too expensive and restrictive.
    06-13-11 12:11 PM
    nope will not be switching..

BB's do everything i need it to do and more..

i had the iphone 1, which was good and fun, but the things i do with my phone are different now, more business mixed with personal ...

i had the iphone 1, switched to BB, tried out the iphone 4 for 2 months couldn't stand it and went back to Blackberry.. so unless i can find a reason to switch to an iphone, i'll stay with my bb..
    06-13-11 01:06 PM
    I would use gtalk before imessage nobody has played with it imessage yet to say its a bbm killer if you look at the review of bbm & imessage on crackberry bbm have a more options than imessage only difference is you can use imessage over wifi which is a fail cause your not going to be in wifi area the whole time from what i seen on the review bbm is still the champ (even gtalk has more integration than imessage) & i dont use gtalk nomore (3years ago) maybe next time apple
    06-13-11 01:13 PM
    Please add me to your iMessage group(s)
    [email protected]
    03-21-14 07:39 PM
168 ... 567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD