View Poll Results: Will you switch platforms now?

Voters
189. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

33 17.46%
  • No

131 69.31%
  • Thinking about it now.

25 13.23%
    It's sad that the only reason most people here like BlackBerry devices is because there is a typewriter strapped onto it.
    Apollo_IV likes this.
    06-07-11 09:29 PM
    It's sad that the only reason most people here like BlackBerry devices is because there is a typewriter strapped onto it.
    Why is that sad?

Why do people drive a manual transmission car?
    Why do people Buy CD's, or Records?
    Why do people still have Windows XP?

People have usability preferences.
    They Keyboard IS a major one of those preferences.

I WILL NOT be buying one of these laptops
    Acer's Dual-Screen Notebook Part of Larger Media Push - Forward Thinking by Michael J. Miller
    06-07-11 09:40 PM
    Although I think those that are in a group of friends who have iPhones will gravitate towards iMessage, but I don't think it is the be-all future of messaging.

One of the things that BBM has over other message systems is integration. The BBOS, plus now that developers can integrate BBM into their apps, it can add a level of use that might keep BBM current.

What will really help is the availability of cross-platform message apps. LiveProfile had over a million downloads in one week. That just shows how much people want to communicate without having to be locked down to a specific platform. Kik had a real chance to take cross-platform messaging to the next level before the lawsuit. LiveProfile is still growing and maturing. If a cross-platform messenger could integrate good compression, simple use, and reliability, OS-dependant messaging may no longer be a deciding factor.
    06-07-11 09:52 PM
    The iPhone could come with a free European vacation or even a cure for cancer and I still wouldn't want one. I never have wanted one (though my other half has one), and I doubt I ever will.

But, I did switch to Android for now...
    06-07-11 09:58 PM
    So, I see many people say they won't switch from a BB because of BBM. Well
    now that iOS will have it's very own messaging platform which does the same
    between iOS devices (read/delivery receipts, picture and file sharing),
    will this make you switch now?
    I have both a Blackberry and an Iphone, i believe my BB is more stable than the Iphone but the Internet experience on the Iphone is much better. As for BBM , I use it bcs most of my family around the world use Blackberry's. I believe my Iphone is more of a toy than a phone, my kids use it 90% of the time and I get 10% only. No substitute for BBM.
    06-07-11 10:06 PM
    The iPhone could come with a free European vacation or even a cure for cancer and I still wouldn't want one. I never have wanted one (though my other half has one), and I doubt I ever will.

But, I did switch to Android for now...
    I have both Iphone and BB, but most of my coworkers switched to Android and I have to say they are pretty nice phones, just add BBM and I'll switch both my phones tomorrow.
    06-07-11 10:09 PM
    It is nice to have a keyboard sometimes, what's wrong with that??? I like to type on my BB better than on my Iphone.
    06-07-11 10:12 PM
    A typewriter 'strapped' to a mobile device. As if that were the only reason to 'like' a BlackBerry. Personally, I like the fact I don't have to go to the 'Approved Company Store' to get content. I like the fact I can load what I friggin' well please without having to surrender personal information. I like the fact that I can control with precision where I'm working on a page without having to remove my thumbs from the device to see what I just did. I love that I can click two buttons to set a profile.

I love the fact that I'm not required to be locked into overpriced plans just to have one. I love the fact that my BlackBerry can survive an impact with hard surfaces without becoming a cracked paperweight. I love the fact I have choices of form factor. I love the fact that I can replace my battery without sending my device to an 'Authorized Service Center'. (and that I can keep a couple of spares around).

And I love that I can set any mp3 file as a Ringtone or notifier. BBM was once a wasteland for me, but no longer. It gets it done.

I think that is plenty of reason to love what I use. But I gotta admit, the wall of guns app was cute for about 5 minutes.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Ferretling likes this.
    06-07-11 10:50 PM
    I have both a Blackberry and an Iphone, i believe my BB is more stable than the Iphone but the Internet experience on the Iphone is much better. As for BBM , I use it bcs most of my family around the world use Blackberry's. I believe my Iphone is more of a toy than a phone, my kids use it 90% of the time and I get 10% only. No substitute for BBM.
    Why don't you just give the iPhone to one of your kids or sell it? Not sure I'd keep a phone I only used 10% of the time. Seems like a waste. :-/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    06-07-11 10:57 PM
    Why don't you just give the iPhone to one of your kids or sell it? Not sure I'd keep a phone I only used 10% of the time. Seems like a waste. :-/

I keep a Blackberry Style for use 4-8 days a year when I am on the boat to far for GSM connections
    06-07-11 11:00 PM
    Yes, I think it has tipped me over the edge. All of my family and friends are all using iPhones. I would love to dump other third party messaging and move to imessaging And since I already have a Mac, iPad, and iPod touch it just makes sense to move to iPhone 5 when my contract for my Touch expires given the great icloud integration.

zeteo likes this.
    06-08-11 12:12 AM
    Not tempted to switch to an iphone, a droid may one day be in my future. I'm only tempted out of frustration with the defective storm I've had to put up with for over two years and the lack of any worthy bb models even hitting the market within the past two years I've been looking and waiting.

06-08-11 02:41 AM
    No. Apple would have to:

1. Offer a great physical QWERTY keyboard.
    2. Open up the platform and allow installations of apps outside of iTunes.

Then I would consider it.
    06-08-11 02:48 AM
    No, it won't make me switch to an iP5, I see myself with BBs as my primary device for the near future. But I am kicking myself for buying the Atrix. I would have much preferred an iP5 - the Atrix was awesome to begin with but when the lag began and the battery life didn't improve I realised it was simply not for me.
    Wish I hadn't jumped on it. Should have waited for the iP5 as was my original plan.
    06-08-11 03:37 AM
    nope because its an unoriginal idea. ill be getting android phone eventually but not giving up my bb for a few reasons all revolving around my playbook.
    06-08-11 05:58 AM
    Many people here say that they are leaving to iOS but as for me, I use BB because of BBM and my friends do and they are not switcing to iOS so I would not , BB all they way

06-08-11 07:10 AM
    nope because its an unoriginal idea.

ummmm, ok :-/

06-08-11 07:50 AM
    When they possibly stop being completely reliable on that POS called itunes, maybe one day, but I highly doubt it. Android maybe, but until the day itunes dies and the fact you have to be 100% reliable on it, not going to happen.
    06-08-11 08:01 AM
    No, simply because I still don't like the way apple does things but nothing wrong with others liking them.
    06-08-11 08:15 AM
    When they possibly stop being completely reliable on that POS called itunes, maybe one day, but I highly doubt it. Android maybe, but until the day itunes dies and the fact you have to be 100% reliable on it, not going to happen.
    You must not have seen iOS 5. They basically said that iTunes is no longer needed to use an iPhone. You can update, backup, sync and all of that fun stuff wirelessly now.

I'm actually surprised to see how many people said yes to the poll. In a BlackBerry forum I'd expect the usual bias, but it seems this new iMessage actually makes a difference to some people.
    06-08-11 08:48 AM
    I voted no, but with the state of BIS in the UK at the moment, and the fact that RIM have said nothing on the matter, I'm starting to wish I could change my answer.
    rollingrock1988 likes this.
    06-08-11 09:04 AM
    I already use iPhone 4 exclusively. I was waiting to buy a 9000, no longer!
    06-08-11 02:15 PM
    I already use iPhone 4 exclusively. I was waiting to buy a 9000, no longer!
    9000 is no longer in production.
    06-08-11 03:02 PM
    To the OP original question the answer is NO.. I will leave BB when its no longer available, when I don't have a choice and when nothing supports BB....

06-08-11 03:06 PM
    lol....you've got to be kidding. NO...**** NO....Never. Steve Jobs will never get another cent from this guy!
    06-08-11 03:47 PM
168 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD