View Poll Results: Will you switch platforms now?

Voters
189. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

33 17.46%
  • No

131 69.31%
  • Thinking about it now.

25 13.23%
    I can see a big big privacy problem with imessage as you can use the same ID on any IOS devices and continue the conversations. One of the main points about BBM is that it's extremely private, BBMs only exist on one device that has a unique pin that cannot be duplicated.
    I think of BBM as an exclusive private club, why do you think so many celebrities use blackberry?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-07-11 03:47 AM
    No. I will be switching platforms, but not because of imessage.

My 9700 is slow, the web browser can't handle 3 tabs without crashing, it crashes when I receive a text while browsing, etc etc. It's a ****ty OS thrown onto a ****ty piece of plastic.

I'm paying for a smartphone/BB data plan to use a useless phone. And what is RIM doing to fix their bold line? New icons, better browser, and NFC? WTF?! I'm supposed to stick around for that? The 9900 wont even get QNX, they're putting an OS on it that has already been surpassed... BY THEMSELVES. Also, you guys want NFC? The group who's always talking about security? You aren't worried about what could happen walking around with your credit card info available to anyone who can get close to you?

The new line of phones is disappointing. Yes the hardware is better than the current lineup, and yes the OS is still lacking. Sure, it has email, it makes phone calls and sends texts, it even has a jurassic web browser. So do feature phones, and they're quite a bit cheaper. Smart phones (and dumb phones I guess) keep getting smarter, RIM is hardly budging forward.
    No offense but your 9700 is almost 2 years old now, maybe you're expecting too much.
    NFC is coming and there's no way to stop it, local McDonalds and Starbucks here already have it. As far as I know iphone5 will not have it.
    I feel much more secure about my password locked blackberry then my credit card in my pocket.

06-07-11 03:54 AM
    Nope. I do not use BBM much and a similar app wont persuade me to switch phones. I have a low end(so called) Blackberry but it does everything I want - great keyboard, nice twitter experience with UberS, weighs less and easily lasts a whole train journey.

The phone has never let me down.. during traveling and important emails. Not too bothered with messengers. I actually use gtalk more than BBM on my phone. I might consider switching to another if it gives me all the above things for the same price - not just the messenger. But that is only after I am completely done with this phone - which is just three months old - and seems good enough for a year or two.
    06-07-11 06:04 AM
    I spent 2 hours babysitting my daughters' iPhone last week while my Style was reloading my BBM groups and restoring data I'd lost when the techs at the store wiped my phone. After some serious practice, I decided to log into CrackBerry and post. Once. It was a painful experience requiring multiple corrections, changing fields to add punctuation, and dealing with the repeated errors of AutoCorrect. A single post required a full 9 minutes on the keyboard for a short post.

If it came down to regularly messaging on that virtual keyboard or shoving a full, opened bottle of Tabasco sauce up my left nostrik, I'd have to sit down and think it over.

9 minutes!!! Holy cow! Yeah, I'm gonna say the iPhone is totally not for you. o_O

My torch is painful to type on unless I cut my nails down short like a boy. I already keep them short and professional so any shorter....never gonna happen! If I had shorter nails it would kick my iPhones ****. Unfortunately, I'm not getting rid of my full set for a phone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    06-07-11 08:36 AM
    as derusset said.. compression to me is huge too. I would never stay under my 6gb cap with any other phone
    How do you guys know Imessage won't compress messages even better than BBM?

The thing that has made Apple so great is that it's taken existing products and made them better. I don't see Apple as a company promoting this as a huge feature and then half baking it.

I for one am excited to have imessage on one device and bbm on my other. Not very practical, but I am in it for the wowfactor.
    06-07-11 08:57 AM
    I spent 2 hours babysitting my daughters' iPhone last week while my Style was reloading my BBM groups and restoring data I'd lost when the techs at the store wiped my phone. After some serious practice, I decided to log into CrackBerry and post. Once. It was a painful experience requiring multiple corrections, changing fields to add punctuation, and dealing with the repeated errors of AutoCorrect. A single post required a full 9 minutes on the keyboard for a short post.

If it came down to regularly messaging on that virtual keyboard or shoving a full, opened bottle of Tabasco sauce up my left nostril, I'd have to sit down and think it over.

You do realize that Apple makes their products so simple that a trained monkey can use them right?

9 minutes for a short post is just plain sad...that is the definition of user error
    06-07-11 09:00 AM
    9 minutes!!! Holy cow! Yeah, I'm gonna say the iPhone is totally not for you. o_O

My torch is painful to type on unless I cut my nails down short like a boy. I already keep them short and professional so any shorter....never gonna happen! If I had shorter nails it would kick my iPhones ****. Unfortunately, I'm not getting rid of my full set for a phone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    It definitely isn't. It wasn't that typing on a screen was impossible, but I use my rather spatulate thumbs, and had to pay attention to everything I typed. I coukdnt establish any rhythm , no fluidity. And messaging is definitely in my upper level of device needs. I know there are people that love them, but it's completely as if I was having to walk with my feet facing the opposite direction.

06-07-11 09:00 AM
    No chance in **** I'd switch to apple, even with iMessage.

RIM is entering a new chapter in its existence and will continue to evolve globally. bgr.com can whine as much as they want, but we cant ignore that RIM is a huge global force. They've done sl much right over the years. I'msure they will continue to do so.
    06-07-11 09:08 AM
    How do you guys know Imessage won't compress messages even better than BBM?

The thing that has made Apple so great is that it's taken existing products and made them better. I don't see Apple as a company promoting this as a huge feature and then half baking it.

I for one am excited to have imessage on one device and bbm on my other. Not very practical, but I am in it for the wowfactor.
    Apple doesn't have a central server for the data to go through and be compressed before sending it to the device,

THAT is how I know Apple wont compress data more so than RIM,
    06-07-11 09:20 AM
    You do realize that Apple makes their products so simple that a trained monkey can use them right?

9 minutes for a short post is just plain sad...that is the definition of user error
    Maybe he had issues because he's not a trained monkey...?

Here's the thing. Errors in typing happen. My friend has an iPhone. It takes her much longer to correct errors than it takes me to correct errors with my BB. It's bad enough on a text, but longer when it's a web-page.

Sure, it may be more simple to use, though I don't know how much more "simple" one can get for typing than a physical keyboard. But just because something is simple it does not automatically follow that it is efficient or fast.
    06-07-11 09:23 AM
    Maybe he had issues because he's not a trained monkey...?

Here's the thing. Errors in typing happen. My friend has an iPhone. It takes her much longer to correct errors than it takes me to correct errors with my BB. It's bad enough on a text, but longer when it's a web-page.

Sure, it may be more simple to use, though I don't know how much more "simple" one can get for typing than a physical keyboard. But just because something is simple it does not automatically follow that it is efficient or fast.
    you make a good point..
    06-07-11 09:24 AM
    Some people just can't use touchscreen devices.
    06-07-11 10:49 AM
    I'm at least thinking about it. I love the keyboard but I also own a mac. I love the Mac interface and my mac has served me very well. It's 3 years old and runs faster than my windows machine that has twice the power.

So in terms of my opinion of Apple, I think they are a good company. As good as RIM but for different reasons.

I'm not opposed to trying other things either... I'm sure I'll be back when I do make the change..
    06-07-11 11:27 AM
    I can see a big big privacy problem with imessage as you can use the same ID on any IOS devices and continue the conversations. One of the main points about BBM is that it's extremely private, BBMs only exist on one device that has a unique pin that cannot be duplicated.
    This here is a really valid point. The fact that if someone is using an iPhone and
    iPad, takes the iPhone out and about and leaves the iPad on at home. Anyone
    could just start messaging (assuming there's not a password set on the iPad.)

Or perhaps there will be some kind of iMessage toggle feature. Whereas when
    you login from one device, it signs out of the other device. The serial number
    for the time being is registered, thus not allowing another device to sign in until
    the registered serial number is logged out.
    06-07-11 11:51 AM
    You guys must really be doing a lot of file sharing on BBM if compression is that
    important.
    06-07-11 11:51 AM
    You guys must really be doing a lot of file sharing on BBM if compression is that
    important.
    Data compression is not limited to BBM, all blackberry data is compressed, email, browsing etc

From what I remember for every webpage you open on iphone you can open 2 and for every email on iphone, 4 on blackberry.

Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 06-07-11 at 12:00 PM.
    06-07-11 11:57 AM
    important.
    $1/MB of data when traveling to the US
    $5/MB of data when traveling in Europe

the difference of $1-2/ day in the US vs $4-$8 is substantial and that is JUST messaging no file sharing op picture sharing.

and you can see in Europe the difference becomes even greater.
    06-07-11 12:03 PM
    $1/MB of data when traveling to the US
    $5/MB of data when traveling in Europe

the difference of $1-2/ day in the US vs $4-$8 is substantial and that is JUST messaging no file sharing op picture sharing.

and you can see in Europe the difference becomes even greater.
    How about �8 for 1mb from orange Uk to US.

06-07-11 12:08 PM
    How about �8 for 1mb from orange Uk to US.

Roaming data charges are just ridiculous eh!
    I seriously am considering getting a SIM card for my Trip to the UK for data use
    06-07-11 12:13 PM
    Hows that when they are copying rim a yr later??
    I could say the BB Storm was a copy of the iPhone and the interface of the PlayBook is a copy of WebOS.

Don't think of it as copying, think of it more as using a good idea.
    06-07-11 01:03 PM

A trained monkey? Hmm, I exceeded that level by age 2. But thanks for playing! The touchscreen keyboard isn't an option. The mild neuropathy in my fingertips gives me no feedback. There is no feel, and difference in the various inputs. It makes hitting specific letters tedious to say the least. With the scalloped keyboard, I can tell where my thumbs are on the keyboard. Even if I was blindfolded, I can type on a physical keyboard. Here's your banana, I hope you find it ap-peeling.

If Apple produced a physical keyboard device, it might give me pause to consider. Devices aren't one size fits all. That's life.

Ferretling likes this.
    06-07-11 01:21 PM
    I could say the BB Storm was a copy of the iPhone and the interface of the PlayBook is a copy of WebOS.

Don't think of it as copying, think of it more as using a good idea.
    Obviously you haven't seen the htc touch and htc m700 that had that form factor long before the iphone, m700 even had 3G, front and rear camera, video calling, gps.

Do some homework before you make claims like that.

06-07-11 01:22 PM
    Obviously you haven't seen the htc touch and htc m700 that had that form factor long before the iphone, m700 even had 3G, front and rear camera, video calling, gps.

Do some homework before you make claims like that.

Those are just two touchscreen smartphones. The iPhone is undeniably what made that form factor popular and the main reason why the BB Storm was released.
    06-07-11 01:40 PM
    Those are just two touchscreen smartphones. The iPhone is undeniably what made that form factor popular and the main reason why the BB Storm was released.
    Maybe, we don't know, we can only guess. After all it's just that, a form factor and Rim seems to want to have every form factor covered, candybar standard, candybar qwerty, flip, slider, touch.

Accusing the Storm to be a copy of a copy sounds a bit silly.

06-07-11 01:56 PM
    No, because I don't want an iPhone.

06-07-11 09:23 PM
168 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD