View Poll Results: Will you switch platforms now?

Voters
189. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

33 17.46%
  • No

131 69.31%
  • Thinking about it now.

25 13.23%
    So, I see many people say they won't switch from a BB because of BBM. Well
    now that iOS will have it's very own messaging platform which does the same
    between iOS devices (read/delivery receipts, picture and file sharing),
    will this make you switch now?
    06-06-11 01:43 PM
    Wouldn't it depend on the phone your peer group or family is using? If you're hooked on BBM, its because you talk with others over it. Unless they are all switching to platform of the IM app you like, it won't do any good, will it?
    DXBLouie and Tiassa like this.
    06-06-11 01:58 PM
    Wouldn't it depend on the phone your peer group or family is using? If you're hooked on BBM, its because you talk with others over it. Unless they are all switching to platform of the IM app you like, it won't do any good, will it?
    I just want each person who votes to take things like this into account on an
    individual basis.
    06-06-11 04:00 PM
    Imessage and BBM will eventually work together
    06-06-11 04:23 PM
    Seriously? Do you honeslty think Apple would open up to another platform?
    06-06-11 04:36 PM
    I just want each person who votes to take things like this into account on an
    individual basis.
    That's the point, you can't
    06-06-11 04:41 PM
    Switched a long time ago
    06-06-11 04:49 PM
    That's the point, you can't
    Yes you can. You're an individual. Base your answer on your circumstances.
    06-06-11 05:01 PM
    Nope,
    Because I am SURE! Apple will not have the same compression as RIM does meaning imessage will cost as much as liveprofile, or MSN, or yahoo which are all data hogs using upwards of 4MB per day each under moderate usage, too costly when traveling!

IF it was ONLY bbm I was staying for, iMessage would not be enough to get me to switch.
    Though there is a long list of other reasons I would not be going with Apple products

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-06-11 06:18 PM
    No. Apple products are more like toys to me than tools.
    mssca likes this.
    06-06-11 06:34 PM
    Never heard that before. Oh, wait...
    Apollo_IV likes this.
    06-06-11 08:05 PM
    LoL. Still in the dark huh? The iOS has evolved well beyond BB in pretty much every way.
    zeteo likes this.
    06-06-11 08:36 PM
    Nope,
    Because I am SURE! Apple will not have the same compression as RIM does meaning imessage will cost as much as liveprofile, or MSN, or yahoo which are all data hogs using upwards of 4MB per day each under moderate usage, too costly when traveling!

IF it was ONLY bbm I was staying for, iMessage would not be enough to get me to switch.
    Though there is a long list of other reasons I would not be going with Apple products

Typical suit and tie reaction. lol
    06-06-11 08:39 PM
    LoL. Still in the dark huh? The iOS has evolved well beyond BB in pretty much every way.
    Hows that when they are copying rim a yr later??
    06-06-11 08:49 PM
    There is no way that I'd ever download iMessage. I'd rather use gtalk.
    06-06-11 09:00 PM
    iMessage will still not have the security that BBM offers.
    Might as well just download whatsapp, liveprofile or kik.
    06-06-11 09:48 PM
    Typical suit and tie reaction. lol
    That is my primary use for a phone,

So clearly it is my reaction, I see nothing wrong with it, you can have your beatnik reaction, I'll have my suit and tie reaction
    06-06-11 10:04 PM
    The reason I (and many others here) use BB is because of the best hardware keyboard and messaging. That's what we use our phones for, not playing Angry Birds, not composing tracks for five minutes in Garage Band then never using it again, not for fart apps, not for getting locked into an ecosystem in which we can't choose what apps we want to use. Phones are tools to a large portion of the population, they are not expected to fill us with joy, but to perform the tasks we need. BB still does that way better than Apple, so I won't be switching. I rarely use BBM anyway so it's not a factor in my decision to use the phone, whether Apple has finally copied it or not.

The biggest joke is they're touting their Twitter integration, like Blackberry hasn't been able to click a photo and say send to Twitter for ages. This is truly the Apple copies BB update (see also keyboard shortcuts for custom words/phrases/wifi syncing, the whole update is a copy of BB), which is fine, but by no means revolutionary. I'll wait and see what OS7 then QNX brings before I give up the best tool for the tasks I do 90% of the time.
    bigbmc26 and thecoach1999 like this.
    06-06-11 10:22 PM
    The reason I (and many others here) use BB is because of the best hardware keyboard and messaging. That's what we use our phones for, not playing Angry Birds, not composing tracks for five minutes in Garage Band then never using it again, not for fart apps, not for getting locked into an ecosystem in which we can't choose what apps we want to use. Phones are tools to a large portion of the population, they are not expected to fill us with joy, but to perform the tasks we need. BB still does that way better than Apple, so I won't be switching. I rarely use BBM anyway so it's not a factor in my decision to use the phone, whether Apple has finally copied it or not.

The biggest joke is they're touting their Twitter integration, like Blackberry hasn't been able to click a photo and say send to Twitter for ages. This is truly the Apple copies BB update (see also keyboard shortcuts for custom words/phrases/wifi syncing, the whole update is a copy of BB), which is fine, but by no means revolutionary. I'll wait and see what OS7 then QNX brings before I give up the best tool for the tasks I do 90% of the time.
    Well said.
    06-06-11 10:26 PM
    as derusset said.. compression to me is huge too. I would never stay under my 6gb cap with any other phone
    06-06-11 10:28 PM
    as derusset said.. compression to me is huge too. I would never stay under my 6gb cap with any other phone
    could be you use too many s's

I don't even come close to my 6GB cap what the heck do you do :P
    06-06-11 10:41 PM
    Definitely switching. This new hardware keyboard on the iPhone 5 will surely convert a lot of people like me over to iPhone. It goes hand and hand with a messaging platform like iMessage. It's the perfect move by Apple.

Wait, what? No keyboard? Nevermind. Screw that.
    Ferretling likes this.
    06-07-11 12:24 AM
    I spent 2 hours babysitting my daughters' iPhone last week while my Style was reloading my BBM groups and restoring data I'd lost when the techs at the store wiped my phone. After some serious practice, I decided to log into CrackBerry and post. Once. It was a painful experience requiring multiple corrections, changing fields to add punctuation, and dealing with the repeated errors of AutoCorrect. A single post required a full 9 minutes on the keyboard for a short post.

If it came down to regularly messaging on that virtual keyboard or shoving a full, opened bottle of Tabasco sauce up my left nostril, I'd have to sit down and think it over.

Last edited by BergerKing; 06-07-11 at 08:54 AM.
    06-07-11 12:51 AM
    Lol, then why are you here? Blackberry fits my business needs perfectly, especially when compared to Apple. I think you are still in the dark if you follow other's needs versus your own.

06-07-11 03:00 AM
    No. I will be switching platforms, but not because of imessage.

My 9700 is slow, the web browser can't handle 3 tabs without crashing, it crashes when I receive a text while browsing, etc etc. It's a ****ty OS thrown onto a ****ty piece of plastic.

I'm paying for a smartphone/BB data plan to use a useless phone. And what is RIM doing to fix their bold line? New icons, better browser, and NFC? WTF?! I'm supposed to stick around for that? The 9900 wont even get QNX, they're putting an OS on it that has already been surpassed... BY THEMSELVES. Also, you guys want NFC? The group who's always talking about security? You aren't worried about what could happen walking around with your credit card info available to anyone who can get close to you?

The new line of phones is disappointing. Yes the hardware is better than the current lineup, and yes the OS is still lacking. Sure, it has email, it makes phone calls and sends texts, it even has a jurassic web browser. So do feature phones, and they're quite a bit cheaper. Smart phones (and dumb phones I guess) keep getting smarter, RIM is hardly budging forward.
    06-07-11 03:41 AM
168 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD