So most of you have probably already seen the leaked internal marketing video, and some are already saying that this will hurt RIM before the BB10 launch because this could reduce the excitement when the new phones do come out (and among other reasons).

I personally don't think so. For one, the new video does not show that much more of what we already know regarding BB10 OS itself. The one major leak was the QWERTY BB10 design. But from what I can tell, the designs of both the L- (all-touch) and N- (physical keyboard) series shown on the video are schematics and not really the real thing. These designs have already been leaked as still images. But do correct me if I'm wrong.

Most notably, the buzz that this leak has created on the Net over the involvement of big celebrity names such as Lady Gaga and J.K. Rowling (I believe that was her on there) with BlackBerry may create enough momentum and talk (and hopefully interest) that could do well for RIM up to the official release. So far right now, consumer mindset is that BB is "not cool"...well, this could be the start of turning that around. Moreover, fans of these celebs, simply out of interest, may look at this video and in turn be introduced to BB10 - these are people who would not have seen or known of BB10 otherwise. It is a good way to spread the word to people, build interest and excitement for the launch next year.

Edit: You can find the video here on CrackBerry (but it's a limited time offer only...lol). I hesitate to post any other more permanent links since CB will be removing their link as well later. But I'm sure you can easily find it on Youtube.
    Last edited by DuexNoir; 09-27-12 at 06:18 PM.
    09-27-12 06:05 PM
    Op do you have a link to this video I would like to check it out.
    Thanks
    09-27-12 06:15 PM
    Op do you have a link to this video I would like to check it out.
    Thanks
    Here you go...

Leaked internal marketing video containing BlackBerry 10 L & N series phones appears online... first look at BB10 w/ keyboard! | CrackBerry.com
    kpin_it_real likes this.
    09-27-12 06:18 PM
    "Most notably, the buzz that this leak has created on the Net over the involvement of big celebrity names such as Lady Gaga and J.K. Rowling (I believe that was her on there) with BlackBerry may create enough momentum and talk (and hopefully interest) that could do well for RIM up to the official release. So far right now, consumer mindset is that BB is "not cool"...well, this could be the start of turning that around. Moreover, fans of these celebs, simply out of interest, may look at this video and in turn be introduced to BB10 - these are people who would not have seen or known of BB10 otherwise. It is a good way to spread the word to people, build interest and excitement for the launch next year."

And what is even better is if nothing on this has been finalized and this is just an idea video made by a 3rd party that was sent to RIM and got leaked.

Otherwise the video is fine, but I can tell you there will be one of a backlash if the above supposed marketing campaign does not come to fruition which wouldn't have been known without this video.

Also I am stunned about certain things, I made some marketing ideas for BB (just as a hobby - for my own amusement) and one of them was based on things like involving random people from the public and celebrities who have a large social following, I think RIM is stealing ma brainz help me!!! :P
    09-27-12 06:44 PM
    I think having celebrities is a great marketing plan because they all have followers and tweet. Tweeting goes a Loooong way and so everyone will get a glimpse of these images.
    09-27-12 06:54 PM
    "Most notably, the buzz that this leak has created on the Net over the involvement of big celebrity names such as Lady Gaga and J.K. Rowling (I believe that was her on there) with BlackBerry may create enough momentum and talk (and hopefully interest) that could do well for RIM up to the official release. So far right now, consumer mindset is that BB is "not cool"...well, this could be the start of turning that around. Moreover, fans of these celebs, simply out of interest, may look at this video and in turn be introduced to BB10 - these are people who would not have seen or known of BB10 otherwise. It is a good way to spread the word to people, build interest and excitement for the launch next year."

And what is even better is if nothing on this has been finalized and this is just an idea video made by a 3rd party that was sent to RIM and got leaked.

Otherwise the video is fine, but I can tell you there will be one of a backlash if the above supposed marketing campaign does not come to fruition which wouldn't have been known without this video.

Also I am stunned about certain things, I made some marketing ideas for BB (just as a hobby - for my own amusement) and one of them was based on things like involving random people from the public and celebrities who have a large social following, I think RIM is stealing ma brainz help me!!! :P
    RIM can't use "business" to help sell it's new phone so I'm sure they took what they could.....
    ....There are droves of people who worship Gaga & if they see her using a BB.
    ....Then by golly that's what they will have to have.

Good to know what user base RIM is targeting & I hope it works out well for them.
    09-27-12 07:09 PM
    RIM can't use "business" to help sell it's new phone so I'm sure they took what they could.....

Good to know what user base RIM is targeting & I hope it works out well for them.
    I wonder who will be next? Kim Kardashian, One Direction? Those are pretty popular names.
    09-27-12 07:14 PM

You have quoted my comment but I don't understand Your reply, I feel like you have misinterpreted my post, just so I can clarify what I am saying is this video will hurt RIM if this marketing campaign doesn't come to fruition - people will get hyped as well as annoyed if this turns out to be false and that is just a recipe for disaster.
    09-27-12 07:17 PM
    would anyone pm me a link or something for the video? crackberry removed theirs before i could see it unfortunately and i cant find it on youtube
    09-27-12 07:23 PM
    im more concerned with how practical that particular marketing campaign might be. Are all those celebrities even willing to do what the video suggests?

Lets not count our blackberries before they rippen,
    09-27-12 08:23 PM
    You have quoted my comment but I don't understand Your reply, I feel like you have misinterpreted my post, just so I can clarify what I am saying is this video will hurt RIM if this marketing campaign doesn't come to fruition - people will get hyped as well as annoyed if this turns out to be false and that is just a recipe for disaster.
    You're right Nefiasm, if indeed Lady GaGa is hyped as participating in this one day demonstration....
    ...And they can't deliver her it would absolutely hurt the brand.

I frankly don't understand the video myself - all RIM needs to say is "HEY, we've caught up"....
    ...And deliver a product that can consume subscription based media as good or better than IOS and DROID.
    ...The ONLY complaint I've heard over and over about RIM was they got too far behind with what their devices could do.

I.E. Skype ( Blackberry phones ) and Netflix ( Playbook )..... App's, stuff like that...
    ...That's it - there was no other beef with RIM - no other issues.

The Blackberry has a great, simple and get it done U.I. - outstanding style and build quality...
    ...Blackberry only lacked functionality compared to Droid and Iphone.
    ...I certainly hope the video hasn't been created to soften the blow of no Skype.

RIM's way of re-creating Asop's Fable of the Fox and the Sour Grapes.

IMHO RIM simply needs to say they are BACK.....
    ...Then prove it - by delivering a functional device.
    ...I've been one of the more harsh ones on RIM and I believe it with every cell of my body that they can come back.
    09-27-12 08:42 PM
    would anyone pm me a link or something for the video? crackberry removed theirs before i could see it unfortunately and i cant find it on youtube
    Berry_Pink likes this.
    09-27-12 09:49 PM
    You're right Nefiasm, if indeed Lady GaGa is hyped as participating in this one day demonstration....
    ...And they can't deliver her it would absolutely hurt the brand.
    Would that really hurt the brand? It's not so much as Lady Gaga herself but more that her name will generate talks and catch people's attention.

I know there's always the question whether this is a leak of a legitimate internal RIM video but, if it isn't, why would it suddenly be pulled from all sources so quickly? I'm sure legally it will eventually be pulled down but not this quickly, unless it's the real deal. But if this is the real deal, then RIM may actually have contracts already with these celebs; why else would they use their images if not otherwise? Wouldn't it be a waste of time and effort to generate such a video with these celeb images when you know you can't use it?

All in all though, this does peak my curiosity as to what kind of marketing scheme RIM has up its sleeves.
    09-27-12 09:51 PM
    Would that really hurt the brand? It's not so much as Lady Gaga herself but more that her name will generate talks and catch people's attention.
    My fear is that the customer demographics of Lady Gaga....
    ...Are primarily people who rely on other people to buy their gadgets for them.
    ...It's a pleading demographic.

I know there's always the question whether this is a leak of a legitimate internal RIM video but, if it isn't, why would it suddenly be pulled from all sources so quickly? I'm sure legally it will eventually be pulled down but not this quickly, unless it's the real deal. But if this is the real deal, then RIM may actually have contracts already with these celebs; why else would they use their images if not otherwise? Wouldn't it be a waste of time and effort to generate such a video with these celeb images when you know you can't use it?

All in all though, this does peak my curiosity as to what kind of marketing scheme RIM has up its sleeves.
    I have no idea - I just know the key to RIM getting back into the game is getting the word out that they "got it"...
    ...They know what got them into the trouble they are in & are fixing that problem with velocity.
    ....The best thing they could do is start blasting out that they have Skype and Netflix.

The ipad sells like hotcakes because it consumes the media people want to consume....
    ...IOS appears to be both on the iphone, ipad & ipod.
    ...Therefore if someone buys an Apple tablet they know it's going to work on their iphone.

The reason Playbook is being sold so cheap right now is because it simply can't consume the media people want......
    ....If the phone can't then why would someone want the tablet ( and vise versa ).
    ....The devices insult each other instead of advertise in a positive light.

Whatever RIM does I hope it works for them - I just think the majority of people want to know....
    ...If BBX can consume the same subscription based media that Droid and Apple can.
    ....And if RIM can't they don't want a modern version of Asop's Fables.

09-27-12 10:37 PM
    It definitely would hurt RIM if the video is believed by the mass public and then the campaign does not come to fruition. That being said, many celebrities and artistes actually seem to use and prefer BBs to get stuff done:
    Case 1- Niki Minaj was paid to perform at a Nokia Windows phone event. As soon as she left the stage of said event she tweeted to her fans from her BlackBerry.
    Case 2- Usain Bolt after winning gold in London said he had to check some messages from friends and fans. Not on text, or imessage but on BBM.

Just two examples but I'm sure that if it was a real campaign and it was handled how it was demonstrated, the buzz could be fantastic.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    toneytone likes this.
    09-27-12 10:44 PM
    Cool video. Been out all day & have not seen this.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6deGAMpumA&feature=player_detailpage[/YT]
    09-27-12 10:49 PM
    My fear is that the customer demographics of Lady Gaga....
    ...Are primarily people who rely on other people to buy their gadgets for them.
    ...It's a pleading demographic.
    The young market is one of the most valuable. When people get started on one platform, and get invested in it, they usually stick with it. (as long as it continues to meet their needs)

On an OT note...
    ...why do you,
    ...type everything like this?

(Just curious really, not being a D1ck)
    09-27-12 10:58 PM
    The young market is one of the most valuable. When people get started on one platform, and get invested in it, they usually stick with it. (as long as it continues to meet their needs)

On an OT note...
    ...why do you,
    ...type everything like this?

(Just curious really, not being a D1ck)
    That's a good point, well taken.....
    ...I type like that to prevent myself from generating a novel - I'm prone to do that.
    09-28-12 02:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD