The GPS works on my Storm elsewhere and I have the Google Maps app installed. There are areas of the the park w/o phone coverage, but will that matter if I want to use the GPS function?

We're planning to do a little hiking there Fri-Mon and I'd like to know in advance if the GPS will be a good backup to the maps in case we get lost.

Thanks in advance.
    05-26-09 09:29 AM
    GPS - global positioning system - will work anywhere in the world. It is separate from the carrier's data signal. Bring a portable generator because the phone drains a lot of battery using GPS.
    05-26-09 09:33 AM
    sorry, wont work. you have google maps but you dont have the actual maps installed. if you dont have data services, you wont be able to load the maps. you can still get your gps location of course, but without the maps to show you where, it wont do you much good :/
    05-26-09 09:38 AM
    sorry, wont work. you have google maps but you dont have the actual maps installed. if you dont have data services, you wont be able to load the maps. you can still get your gps location of course, but without the maps to show you where, it wont do you much good :/
    Okay, thanks. Does it just give you the long/lat on a blank screen then or what?

Is there a way to pre-load Google Maps if I know specific areas/trails I want to hike - with that and GPS would I know my location?
    05-26-09 09:55 AM
    Your BB should give you Long/lat in the status screen.
    BB> Options > Advanced Options > GPS
    05-26-09 10:08 AM
    TrekBuddy is free lets you preload maps onto the SD card. There are tools to convert google/micrsoft maps/sattelite/terrain images into trekbuddy readable format. Works pretty well but still not 100% storm optomized. Sometimes the screen goes white when I switch from portrait to landscape, but it will do what you're looking for.

http://linuxtechs.net/kruch/tb/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2525
    Last edited by mattncsu03; 05-26-09 at 10:17 AM.
    05-26-09 10:10 AM
    You can get data service inside the park... it just matters how far inside you go. I have gotten service as far in as Elk Meadows. There are towers just outside the park now. Have a great trip, RMNP is a real jewel.

Edit: Also a program like Blackstar will point you back to any waypoints you set; like a trailhead. It just might be your best bet. The trick is to set many waypoints along your trek so you don't walk off a cliff following only the built in direction finder. If you are into geotracking, there are many inside the park and they add to the fun of hiking.
    Last edited by Corporatetrainer; 05-26-09 at 10:20 AM.
    05-26-09 10:13 AM
    So, we just went to the Royal Gorge over the weekend...GPS did NOT work when we didn't have cell tower coverage.

For what it's worth, though - the failed GPS was only when we were trying to initialize Garmin Mobile...I can't say we lost cell service WHILE navigating on the rest of the trip.
    05-26-09 11:32 AM
    As said, no data connection no map info. Good thing is you should be able to be found by your gps if you do fall off a cliff

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-09 12:11 PM
    I was able to use GPSed to record my GPS locations when I was out of service.....from there you could use the gps info it collects to look at a real map
    05-26-09 12:36 PM
    maybe this isn't the best thread to post this in, but what is the best app to use for gps as far as using it like a garmin or tom tom? I tried google maps, and wasn't overly impressed with it. Also it hasn't been too accurate, the closest its gotten to my actual location is about a block or two away. Its been as far as a few miles off at times. Is that normal?
    05-27-09 01:59 PM
    I was able to use GPSed to record my GPS locations when I was out of service.....from there you could use the gps info it collects to look at a real map
    That's interesting. I was in Poudre Canyon this weekend without cell service and i was unable to get GPSed to work. I also did not have the GPS icon on the home screen.

Do you get the GPS icon on the main screen? The green GPS connected text in the GPSed app?

Thanks.
    06-02-09 04:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD