My wife has the 8330 on vzw. We are going to Costa Rica in a few weeks and I wonder if the GPS will work there. I know that the 8330 is not a global phone, so the phone won't work, but is the GPS (when used with BB Maps) a true GPS or does it still use cell towers. Thanks!
    10-26-09 08:26 AM
    My wife has the 8330 on vzw. We are going to Costa Rica in a few weeks and I wonder if the GPS will work there. I know that the 8330 is not a global phone, so the phone won't work, but is the GPS (when used with BB Maps) a true GPS or does it still use cell towers. Thanks!
    Whether or not it uses true GPS, you need a data connection for the GPS coordinates to translate to a point on the map, and for the map to load.
    10-26-09 08:34 AM
    The 8330 requires CDMA towers to operate - GPS included.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-26-09 08:35 AM
    Costa Rica!!! Love that place. We rented a GPS from a car rental company and it was nice but not like GPS here in the states. Roads, bridges, etc did not necessarily show on the GPS. I would recommend a good map + GPS to navigate CR.

A great source of CR related info is tripadvisor.com. The GPS topic has been covered many times.

Pura Vida!
    10-26-09 10:04 AM
    So to sum this all up, no it won't work. Correct?
    10-26-09 12:30 PM
    That is correct.
    10-26-09 01:20 PM
    Well, google maps works perfect down here.. via GPS and AGPS
    02-06-10 12:41 PM
    Well, google maps works perfect down here.. via GPS and AGPS
    Since your device is a global phone it will work. The 8330 needs a data connection and is not a global device, therefore it will not work in a GSM country
    02-06-10 12:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD