I am not writing this entry to say I agree with texting while driving but I wanted to know everyone's opinion on driving accidents that are reported in the news. If anyone has noticed the most fatal texting car accidents are from people who use fully touchscreen phones. I've seen a number of iphones as well as other fully touch screen devices recovered from said accidents but I have yet to see a qwerty keyboard smartphone. ( I could be wrong in this)

If you are like I am and use a qwerty keyboard then chances are you have muscle memory while compiling emails or texts. Often times I find myself not even looking at the phone as a do one or the other. Yes I am guilty of texting while driving and I must say its a habit where I long ago broke.

But I would like to know what are people opinions on the new fully touchscreen Z10 and what if it shows up in a accident report will the "media" bloggers blame blackberry or the person? Apple has yet to receive any backlash for it's phones showing up in fatal accidents. Will blackberry go under the radar as Apple? We all seen the misinformed reviews and reports on BB to harm the brand, will a car fatal cause by texting harm the brand as well? I would love to hear people's opinion on this matter.
    05-01-13 12:17 PM
    Has nothing to do which what device caused an accident. Anyone who thinks otherwise is crazy Imo. No one should be testing and driving no matter what device.

Posted via CB10 with my Zed 10
    05-01-13 12:19 PM
    It is called distracted driving... Texting has added to it, but most states have mandated the use of hands-free devices (bluetooth, etc) because people get distracted just holding the phone and talking on it. Some accidents are caused by people changing the radio station, eating, reading something, even bodily functions like sneezing...

Highly doubt full touchscreen devices add to it.
    05-01-13 12:22 PM
    Yup very illegal here. You get ticketed - red light or otherwise.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-13 12:34 PM
    No. Why would they single out bb? Many physical kb people text and type 1 handed.

Since many people have no brain, no ability to wait and no common sense I can see a day when no matter what phone you have there will be a blocker os some kind for those functions while in a car.
    KermEd likes this.
    05-01-13 12:41 PM
    I don't get any time to text while driving. I am too busy shaving, drinking coffee and eating a muffin.

I can say from experience that the Z10 can be pretty hazardous. You tend to look at the space bar and above the letters too much. Nothing is better then an old school flip phone with the numerical pad. I never had to look at my old Nokia but it was slow and a little tedious. I got pretty good with my 9780 but I had to look sometimes. I try to use the voice control as much as possible now but it can be bad with names. It is definitely something I need to give up on. I have found myself on the wrong side of the road once or twice. Funny how I can still joke about it. I must be a dumb***.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by KiLuMaNaTi; 05-01-13 at 04:08 PM.
    leafnstion44 likes this.
    05-01-13 01:32 PM
    No. Why would they single out bb? Many physical kb people text and type 1 handed.

Since many people have no brain, no ability to wait and no common sense I can see a day when no matter what phone you have there will be a blocker os some kind for those functions while in a car.
    I am one of those brainless and impatient people. Hopefully they get rid of the mirrors in the car as well. The scariest thing I have ever seen was a young lady putting on makeup while doing 130 on the 407. I had to get off on the next exit. She was all over the road and I was terrified. Obviously I can not complain too much because I text and drive at times so I have probably scared a person or two myself. I want an app that keeps yelling "put me the **** down!" anytime I pick up my phone in the car.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-01-13 01:52 PM
    I am one of those brainless and impatient people. Hopefully they get rid of the mirrors in the car as well. The scariest thing I have ever seen was a young lady putting on makeup while doing 130 on the 407. I had to get off on the next exit. She was all over the road and I was terrified. Obviously I can not complain too much because I text and drive at times so I have probably scared a person or two myself. I want an app that keeps yelling "put me the **** down!" anytime I pick up my phone in the car.

Posted via CB10
    I admit at one time I was one of these people. I've learned through others it just isn't worth it at all. If it's a must pull over somewhere and deal with it, if it's not it can wait.
    KiLuMaNaTi likes this.
    05-01-13 02:10 PM
    If touch screen devices are statistical more often found at the scene of distracted driving accidents it is because there are so many more of them.

Of course just because "authorities" say TXTing was the cause, doesn't make it true. They always have an agenda when reporting to the press.
    05-01-13 04:11 PM
    No. No single device is the problem. The behavior is.
    05-01-13 04:16 PM
    I don't mind laws about creating and driving, I'll take my chances just like speeding.
    What I'm not crazy about bus the whole red light thing. As long as i don't delay traffic, it should be Ok to check my messages while I wait.
    I can say with certainty that if red lights were allowed, I'd wait and not check while I'm actually driving. I bet many would do the same and the roads would be a lot safer.
    I'm amazed everyday at how many people I see in moving traffic actually talking on their phones openly without hands free.
    05-01-13 04:18 PM
    A got my daughter a garmin gps when she said she preferred it to a dashboard mount for her phone to use its gps. To tempting to answer texts while driving. Gave her a hug too.

Posted via Z10
    05-01-13 05:37 PM
    I am not writing this entry to say I agree with texting while driving but I wanted to know everyone's opinion on driving accidents that are reported in the news. If anyone has noticed the most fatal texting car accidents are from people who use fully touchscreen phones. I've seen a number of iphones as well as other fully touch screen devices recovered from said accidents but I have yet to see a qwerty keyboard smartphone. ( I could be wrong in this)

If you are like I am and use a qwerty keyboard then chances are you have muscle memory while compiling emails or texts. Often times I find myself not even looking at the phone as a do one or the other. Yes I am guilty of texting while driving and I must say its a habit where I long ago broke.

But I would like to know what are people opinions on the new fully touchscreen Z10 and what if it shows up in a accident report will the "media" bloggers blame blackberry or the person? Apple has yet to receive any backlash for it's phones showing up in fatal accidents. Will blackberry go under the radar as Apple? We all seen the misinformed reviews and reports on BB to harm the brand, will a car fatal cause by texting harm the brand as well? I would love to hear people's opinion on this matter.
    TEXTING AND DRIVING IS AS DANGEROUS AND STUPID AS DRINKING AND DRIVING!!!!!!!

We say the same thing when we drink I'm ok to drive!! Smarten up wait till you get home to text 20 years Ago people got by so can we .

Posted via CB10 from my Z10 GO LEAFS GO!!
    05-01-13 05:45 PM
    I don't mind laws about creating and driving, I'll take my chances just like speeding.
    What I'm not crazy about bus the whole red light thing. As long as i don't delay traffic, it should be Ok to check my messages while I wait.
    I can say with certainty that if red lights were allowed, I'd wait and not check while I'm actually driving. I bet many would do the same and the roads would be a lot safer.
    I'm amazed everyday at how many people I see in moving traffic actually talking on their phones openly without hands free.
    Why not have a drink also at a red light just stay off the phone while you drive!

05-01-13 05:48 PM
    Why not have a drink also at a red light just stay off the phone while you drive!

Are you kidding? You basically suggest that doing something on my phone while stationary for a period of time is the same as operating the vehicle in motion while intoxicated.
    Having a drink at a red light doesn't go away when the light turns green.
    My point was that if texing or something was fully legal while stationary, than many people would wait who are currently doing so whole in motion.
    05-01-13 07:29 PM
    Yes but if texting at a red light is ok no one puts the phone down when the light changes also you need to be aware at a light. I saw an accident happen because someone was texting at a red and was beeped when the light changed. Suddenly he took off and was hit by a car who went through the light in the other direction. Obviously it was not his fault but had he been paying attention at the light he would have noticed the oncoming car. I drive for a living and most people don't spend as much time as I do behind the wheel you ALWAYS have to be aware of what is around you! No matter how trivial it seems. People like you will never understand until something happens to you or someone you know. So go ahead and text away sooner or later you'll learn!!!!

Vorkosigan likes this.
    05-01-13 07:40 PM
    That happens anyways when people get distracted doing all the legal things you can do at a red.
    05-01-13 07:58 PM
    Yes but if texting at a red light is ok no one puts the phone down when the light changes also you need to be aware at a light. I saw an accident happen because someone was texting at a red and was beeped when the light changed. Suddenly he took off and was hit by a car who went through the light in the other direction. Obviously it was not his fault but had he been paying attention at the light he would have noticed the oncoming car. I drive for a living and most people don't spend as much time as I do behind the wheel you ALWAYS have to be aware of what is around you! No matter how trivial it seems. People like you will never understand until something happens to you or someone you know. So go ahead and text away sooner or later you'll learn!!!!

I used to drive for a living too. Just days - but 8 hours a day in a car and you sure see some scary stuff. Thankfully that was before cell phones were so popular.

And I agree with you. You shouldn't text and drive. Period. Pull over if it's something urgent. Most stuff isn't actually that urgent.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-13 07:59 PM
    I never text and drive but BBM and Twitter are a different story. On a serious note ,yes I have been guilty but I do understand the dangers of it and I am glad my state outlawed texting/talking and driving. It takes one second for your day to go from good to tragic.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    05-01-13 08:14 PM
    [QUOTE=Vorkosigan;8410928]I used to drive for a living too. Just days - but 8 hours a day in a car and you sure see some scary stuff. Thankfully that was before cell phones were so popular.

And I agree with you. You shouldn't text and drive. Period. Pull over if it's something urgent. Most stuff isn't actually that urgent.

Posted via CB10[/QUOTE

This whole thread is odd.... imagine if I posted a thread saying I drink and drive but I'm good at it.....

05-01-13 08:21 PM