Just done watching some of the keynote address and wow... want to make one a believer...

However, before we all pee our pants history shows that it takes more than a nice product to survive and thrive. Latest example is HP with their acquisition of Palm/WebOs.

Friends at RIM (yes, yes I know everybody claims to have one of those, however I live in Waterloo so it's not in the realm of impossibilities I know a few) told me RIM as a company was somewhat worried by the introduction of WebOs and their new hardware. We all know what happened to that fiasco. But there's a lesson there for RIM.

HP's Problems:
    • Great Software, poor hardware
    • Using the 'Iphone Killer' slogan (no such thing)
    • Pricing product at par with Ieverything
    • Bizzare marketing
    • No apps & Lack of execution for Devs
    • Missed deadlines which allowed the competition to catch up
    • Brain dead management

Let's hope RIM is better at executing...
    Last edited by webosdropout; 05-01-12 at 09:48 AM.
    05-01-12 09:01 AM
    We've all been pretty much saying exactly this since BB10 was first announced. I think every one of the points listed under HP's problems have been acknowledged and addressed, in addition to many that have been plaguing RIM itself. Lots of good news and positive press coming out of BBW has me feeling a little more optimistic about the prospects for BB10.
    05-01-12 09:17 AM
    Well this is a good start in terms of execution: blackberry alpha not available to BGR!

My highlight of the day
    kbz1960, hpjrt, Premium1 and 4 others like this.
    05-01-12 09:41 AM
    Yeah, I'm watching all the coverage but honestly I don't get it. Watch this video for example: http://crackberry.com/blackberry-10-sneak-peek-video

Look at how little is demonstrated...it's basically just the PlayBook with a new virtual keyboard, cut in half.

And as a developer, I went to take a look at the Cascades page here: https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/cascades/

The sample apps are cowbells, very basic UI/visual components, etc. Absolutely nothing in the developer tools I see that is even remotely interesting.
    05-01-12 10:38 AM
    No bang, no whizzz, no real news or full demo of BB10. Concerns me to think that this could be as far as they have progressed?

Still waiting for the other shoe to drop.

And so we wait....

Tim
    05-01-12 11:13 AM
    Dud

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    05-01-12 11:18 AM
    The sample apps are cowbells, very basic UI/visual components, etc. Absolutely nothing in the developer tools I see that is even remotely interesting.
    Cascades are meant to make development quicker than using C++ code by itself. I'm sure that the released demos are for what is currently available on the simulator and the Alpha Device. Which means that they won't release code for things they plan on having the device do before they announce it.

The key point about the demo was showing that the apps all run in the background. True multi-tasking OS.
    05-01-12 12:21 PM
    I firmly believe that RIM should not hand out alpha anything to anybody.. create a complete dev environment yes, but to start handing out partially working, buggy, incomplete, slow and inefficiently operating devices (thats the definition of alpha) 6 months ahead of launch is market suicide..
    05-01-12 12:28 PM
    Part of it is execution, part of it is vision.

RIM has struggled greatly in both of those areas.

What will make RIM's trek back much more difficult is that the market today is fundamentally different than the market in which they rose to the top. Today, smartphones are a part of a much larger, integrated, intertwined world of technology. The iPhone is tied into the iTunes store for music, movies and books, and into the App Store for apps, syncs with iCloud, and crosses over with iPads and Macs. Androids seemlessly sync Gmail, contacts, calandar, have the Play Store in which to purchase music, movies, books, apps, have the ability to sync bookmarks and tabs with Chrome, and can store music for free in the cloud with Google Music, and can sync, store, and access documents with Drive.

How well RIM can integrate BBs into the greater overall picture of technology today and in the future will determine whether or not it will survive.

Personally, I've watched the videos from today. Very, very little was shown, aside from a dummy device and 1) a virtual keyboard (whoop-de-doo) and 2) a neat trick with a camera.
    Doc Z likes this.
    05-01-12 01:15 PM
    I firmly believe that RIM should not hand out alpha anything to anybody.. create a complete dev environment yes, but to start handing out partially working, buggy, incomplete, slow and inefficiently operating devices (thats the definition of alpha) 6 months ahead of launch is market suicide..
    announcing/showing something 6 months ahead is suicide. By the time it is actually able to be bought everyone will have forgotten about this with all the iphone/android buzz.
    05-01-12 01:39 PM
    Just saw a little video about BB10's features and I'm actually really worried.

To me, it certainly looked different from what's currently out there. Part of it looked cool, other parts just looked downright confusing and too much. I really hope that RIM doesn't shoot itself in the foot by trying to be "too innovative" if you will, because the fact of the matter is that there are much simpler alternatives with better ecosystems.

But I certainly loved the webOS look/feel to it, I was always impressed by it and would love to make the switch to a BB10 device if it maintains those elements and keeps BBs trademark functionalities.
    05-01-12 01:44 PM
    Just saw a little video about BB10's features and I'm actually really worried.

To me, it certainly looked different from what's currently out there. Part of it looked cool, other parts just looked downright confusing and too much. I really hope that RIM doesn't shoot itself in the foot by trying to be "too innovative" if you will, because the fact of the matter is that there are much simpler alternatives with better ecosystems.

But I certainly loved the webOS look/feel to it, I was always impressed by it and would love to make the switch to a BB10 device if it maintains those elements and keeps BBs trademark functionalities.

oh don't worry once BB10 is out, the gestures will be the first thing slammed about it because there will almost certainly be a learning curve to it.

But the only thing that matters is that BB users can say "Yeah got that" when showing it off to people.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    05-01-12 01:58 PM
    oh don't worry once BB10 is out, the gestures will be the first thing slammed about it because there will almost certainly be a learning curve to it.

But the only thing that matters is that BB users can say "Yeah got that" when showing it off to people.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    No the only thing that matters is whether the general mainstream consumer will actually choose to buy a BB10 phone, and that is very doubtful to me.
    05-01-12 02:07 PM
    The audience that RIM is trying to reach today is DEVELOPERS. Not consumers (no new phone for them right now), and certainly not the financial community (analysts' meeting postponed until after the BB10 launch).

And in that regard, I think they've got their priorities straight. If they don't get devs on board, there won't be apps. No apps, no customers.

The alpha looks to be pretty tightly regulated. RIM is likely pretty committed to keeping a rein on these devices (note the barcode at the bottom; pretty sure that is meant to prevent eBay sales), so I'm not sure what harm they could really do.
    sf49ers likes this.
    05-01-12 02:08 PM
    No the only thing that matters is whether the general mainstream consumer will actually choose to buy a BB10 phone, and that is very doubtful to me.
    ...based on?
    05-01-12 02:09 PM
    Cascades are meant to make development quicker than using C++ code by itself.
    As a developer, I just want to tell you that this sentence makes absolutely no sense at all.
    05-01-12 02:15 PM
    That was my point with the "only thing that matters" comment. BB10 is not going to fly off the shelves like android and there isn't going to be people camping out in front of stores for days like apple. But word of mouth is a huge advertising tool then you can get a fraction of casual consumers back.

Also, you will stop tech blogs and mainstream media sources from writing BB doesn't have this or this articles. That will stop the bleeding and allow them to plateau and start build everything up while keeping enterprise users. Unfortunately, RIM is aiming for 3rd place this year and they did it to themselves. But 3rd still gets you a medal. IMO opinion they are still in better position than Windows for that 3rd ecosystem.
    Alex_Hong and sf49ers like this.
    05-01-12 02:20 PM
    Let's hope RIM is better at executing...
    Keep in mind that HP has a bazillion other businesses to pick up the slack of the Palm acquisition. RIM only has Blackberry to concentrate on so that's a big differentiation right there. RIM absolutely has to get this right and they're looking pretty good so far.
    05-01-12 06:43 PM
    Unfortunately, RIM is aiming for 3rd place this year and they did it to themselves. But 3rd still gets you a medal. IMO opinion they are still in better position than Windows for that 3rd ecosystem.
    At this point, WP7 devices are to MS what moviemaking was to Hward Hughes: a side gig. RIM, on the other hand, gets 70% of their revenue from mobile devices; they don't have a Windows-like cash cow to fund ther mobile platform. So while RIM seems to be better positioned than MS in mobile, RIM is literally betting the company on BB10, making their position incredibly risky. The stakes aren't nearly as high for MS, which still sits on $50 billion in cash and still makes $25 billion a year in profit. After all, if worst comes to worst, MS could just buy RIM.
    05-01-12 06:54 PM
    ONCE ITs IN OUR HANDS, there will be no good reason to diss BB again. It will all be personal preferance or my family uses this whatever phone with this carrier so sheep stick with sheep and the wolfs will all be using BB 10 !
    05-01-12 07:07 PM
    As a developer, I just want to tell you that this sentence makes absolutely no sense at all.
    Okay.

If you want to program native using C++ go here. You could program the UI and stuff the long way or....

If you want to program native using something that puts an nicer UI on top of the C++ go here.
    05-01-12 08:40 PM
    Okay.

If you want to program native using C++ go here. You could program the UI and stuff the long way or....

If you want to program native using something that puts an nicer UI on top of the C++ go here.
    Again, you make absolutely no sense. Recommendation: stop talking about things you don't understand.

CrackBerry is such a strange place...I don't think I'd ever get used to it staying here long term. The best analogy I can draw is that it's like being a mechanic and finding a car forum where people are consistently saying things like "gee, this rack and pinion rear axle sure boosts the HP of this wheel". Complete nonsensical gibberish.
    Last edited by WinningWithLogic; 05-01-12 at 08:58 PM.
    05-01-12 08:53 PM
    Again, you make absolutely no sense. Recommendation: stop talking about things you don't understand.
    Then correct what I said and help everyone learn the difference between native in C/C++ and native in C++/Qt Cascades.

From the site
    C++/Qt Cascades
    Cascades has been designed to allow you to easily build a BlackBerry native application using an entire framework integrated with core services which provide an astonishing user experience.

C/C++ Native SDK
    The BlackBerry NDK supports many open standards to allow you to bring your existing application to the BlackBerry Platform.
    05-02-12 06:27 AM
    At this point, WP7 devices are to MS what moviemaking was to Hward Hughes: a side gig. RIM, on the other hand, gets 70% of their revenue from mobile devices; they don't have a Windows-like cash cow to fund ther mobile platform. So while RIM seems to be better positioned than MS in mobile, RIM is literally betting the company on BB10, making their position incredibly risky. The stakes aren't nearly as high for MS, which still sits on $50 billion in cash and still makes $25 billion a year in profit. After all, if worst comes to worst, MS could just buy RIM.
    Didn't think that would need explaining but thank you Economist.
    05-02-12 08:00 AM
    I believe RIM will get this executed well. I cannot wait until november, or december, to get me hands on one and to give it a test!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com using Tapatalk
    05-03-12 01:27 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD