12-05-16 07:16 AM
33 12
tools
    I use BlackBerry smartphone 9900 but is still at our set of BIS services, I used the BB10 OS or do not like him, I found myself in a 9900 model and will use it as long as I could ...

Whether the story is that someone has information that you will ever be free of BIS or more favorable ...

Thank you all for your answers ...
    12-02-16 03:04 PM
    More likely BIS will get more expensive or be phased out by your carrier... as the number of active BBOS users is plummeting.
    12-02-16 03:12 PM
    Bis is included with plans with every Canadian carrier as far as I know and mine works great.

You need to come and talk to us in the 9900 forum and there are people that will know more details....

It also depends where you live....

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    12-02-16 03:14 PM
    I am from Serbia and my subscription bis is 10 euros per month and my pretplana 12 euros, it is quite expensive and none of the operators will not give a discount ...

My question is whether RIM will enable us once free connections without an operator, I think it is enough just a small update or connection via operator kaja is free of charge, stupid is that users can bb10 free and we do not ...

I do not know English well, but I hope you understand me...
    12-02-16 03:20 PM
    I would like to engage in a conversation that he knows, which is close to the information and someone who can ask directly ...?
    12-02-16 03:30 PM
    Bis is included with plans with every Canadian carrier as far as I know and mine works great.
    Free BIS or not ?
    12-02-16 03:48 PM
    Free BIS or not ?
    No the wireless companies pay for it and don't like paying for it. I believe two US carriers no long offer BIS.
    12-02-16 05:59 PM

You need to come and talk to us in the 9900 forum and there are people that will know more details....

It also depends where you live....

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    BIS is an additional revenue for BlackBerry and it has been the biggest part of its revenue for years. Thorsten Heins acknowledged that this revenue will be declining and will eventually dissappear. John Chen said that this portion of the revenue will decline and will be replaced by revenue from its software side.

Firstly cost of BIS is a cost to the networks too. So as a business concern no logical business will pay a cost for their customers without recovering it from them somehow, if they do then the directors and the managers of the company is at risk of malpractice.

Three years ago a BlackBerry executive I spoke to already told me that there will be no more developments on BIS and it will eventually be phased out. Since then several networks has stopped offering this service. In my country no networks currently provide this service. We have stopped this 2 years ago.

In short, the answer to OP's question is No. You will just be loosing the service soon too. There are some die hard fans who don't agree with me but the writing is no longer on the wall, it's currently being executed.
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    12-02-16 06:13 PM
    Verizon, in USA, charges me exactly the same monthly flat for my BBOS 9930 & 9650 as for my BB10 Classic & Z30. No detectable difference. The cost is hidden in there SOMEwhere but I couldn't detect it in my billing so I'd have to call it "free"? Pretty sure Ralph has indicated a similar non-detectable "free" in Canada??

Even if I were being charged for it, I'd happily pay $10 for BIS since it saves more than that on data usage. My 9930 never exceeds 1GB per month. Despite being my primary carry including LOTS of TuneIn radio virtually every spare minute and too frequently all night long. My non-BIS Classic & Z30 too frequently consume 3GB each despite being used less than 10% of the time. That's 2GB more per device added to data plan charges. If I could get my BB10 devices on BIS, I would. Lol.

Common wisdom has it that BIS is phasing out and we all expect it will one day just stop. Out guessing when is the trick. Some portions of BIS infrastructure might be too inextricable from other, profitable, tasks to simply shut off without headaches. ??? Also, there are ways to continue using 9900 without BIS.

IDK anything about BIS in your country but there's a slight chance someone in CrackBerry's 9900 forum might have heard something relevant... Or not. Lol. If you get a chance, come on over and join the fun with other 9900 enthusiasts! ...

BlackBerry Bold 9930/9900 - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

Last edited by idssteve; 12-02-16 at 07:28 PM.
    anon(9721108) and David Tyler like this.
    12-02-16 07:05 PM
    In the US, Sprint and T-Mobile have already shut down BIS, and AT&T and Verizon will be shutting it down around 2Q of 2017.

Canada will probably hold out a little longer, given that Canadians have more BBs (and older BBs) than most places.

Europe is also starting to shut down BIS, with the Czech Republic being the first more than a year ago, and several others since. Once the number of users falls below a certain threshold, carriers pull the plug because keeping the equipment around and maintained costs money, and paying BB the SAF (service access fees) also costs money, and it just isn't viable to support a tiny number of users.

I suspect that by 2018, the only places BIS might still exist would be Indonesia, South Africa, Nigeria, and Canada - and even those might not have it by then.
    12-02-16 09:06 PM
    I'm paying the same $75 a month from the same Blackberry 9780 plan I started with in 2011 so they BETTER include it. I can pop the sim into the iphone or the Blackberry, no changes. All the new Rogers plans have BIS included and I talked to the girl at Rogers a couple weeks ago and she even remembered how to send the service books. No, not many people at ALL use Blackberry even here, she told me I was the first customer to ask about Blackberry in just over a year. I was VERY glad she remembered how to send the books but she got her start 5 years ago she said "when all anyone had was a BLackberry."

I asked her if it is possible to pay less for a monthly fee if I do not get BIS "attatched to it" and she had no clue what I was talking about. It IS included NO EXTRA FEE.

I expect that when we pay this much for a month to month or a new plan (they are the same cost today) that they should have no problems including BIS, and they do....for now.

12-02-16 09:37 PM
    Free BIS or not ?
    it is included where I am in Canada but as for your situation I would ask your cellular provider. You might be stuck paying for it.

12-02-16 09:40 PM
    Verizon, in USA, charges me exactly the same monthly flat for my BBOS 9930 & 9650 as for my BB10 Classic & Z30. No detectable difference. The cost is hidden in there SOMEwhere but I couldn't detect it in my billing so I'd have to call it "free"? Pretty sure Ralph has indicated a similar non-detectable "free" in Canada??

Even if I were being charged for it, I'd happily pay $10 for BIS since it saves more than that on data usage. My 9930 never exceeds 1GB per month. Despite being my primary carry including LOTS of TuneIn radio virtually every spare minute and too frequently all night long. My non-BIS Classic & Z30 too frequently consume 3GB each despite being used less than 10% of the time. That's 2GB more per device added to data plan charges. If I could get my BB10 devices on BIS, I would. Lol.

Common wisdom has it that BIS is phasing out and we all expect it will one day just stop. Out guessing when is the trick. Some portions of BIS infrastructure might be too inextricable from other, profitable, tasks to simply shut off without headaches. ??? Also, there are ways to continue using 9900 without BIS.

IDK anything about BIS in your country but there's a slight chance someone in CrackBerry's 9900 forum might have heard something relevant... Or not. Lol. If you get a chance, come on over and join the fun with other 9900 enthusiasts! ...

BlackBerry Bold 9930/9900 - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

I thought David said that every major US carrier has BIS, but people just have to ask for it to have it attatched?

Dozens of people have asked that question in our 9900 forum.

12-02-16 09:41 PM
    More likely BIS will get more expensive or be phased out by your carrier... as the number of active BBOS users is plummeting.
    It's free on AT&T in the US. You don't even have to ask -- the guy who provisioned the SIM card for my Bold didn't even know what I meant by "BlackBerry Internet Service." The BIS icon just showed up, and BBM and email work fine.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    12-02-16 09:54 PM
    Verizon, in USA, charges me exactly the same monthly flat for my BBOS 9930 & 9650 as for my BB10 Classic & Z30. No detectable difference. The cost is hidden in there SOMEwhere but I couldn't detect it in my billing so I'd have to call it "free"? ...Even if I were being charged for it, I'd happily pay $10 for BIS since it saves more than that on data usage.
    Yep. Same with AT&T.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    12-02-16 09:56 PM
    Even if I were being charged for it, I'd happily pay $10 for BIS since it saves more than that on data usage. My 9930 never exceeds 1GB per month. Despite being my primary carry including LOTS of TuneIn radio virtually every spare minute and too frequently all night long. My non-BIS Classic & Z30 too frequently consume 3GB each despite being used less than 10% of the time. That's 2GB more per device added[/url]

And you sure aren't kidding about the data consumption take a look at this tonight at midnight my plan resets so it's been exactly one month I've been on my iPhone and I have consumed almost all of my five gigs of allowed data. If I go over I pay another $75. The most I ever use on my BlackBerry and I use it a lot is 100 MB! I'm not kidding it's insane. BIS really is amazing and I would pay extra for it too!

Do the newer BlackBerries on android even have any kind of data saving capabilities like BIS??? This might be something they should look into if they don't.

Will it ever be free BIS service???-img_1480737498.074900.jpg
    12-02-16 09:58 PM
    Oh and I should edit the fact that in 2014 I got a new nano Sim card strictly for the iPhone and the BIS was included and attached to it. However they let me keep the same amount of data and basically the minutes that I had from 2011, so I guess I'm grandfathered this plan but I'm glad that BIS is still included.

Just a clarification.

They actually cut up your old Sim card right in front of you as you sign a new two-year contract and they make up your new SIM card. I don't think they allow you to have two.
    12-02-16 10:03 PM
    I'm paying the same $75 a month from the same Blackberry 9780 plan I started with in 2011 so they BETTER include it. I can pop the sim into the iphone or the Blackberry, no changes. All the new Rogers plans have BIS included and I talked to the girl at Rogers a couple weeks ago and she even remembered how to send the service books. No, not many people at ALL use Blackberry even here, she told me I was the first customer to ask about Blackberry in just over a year. I was VERY glad she remembered how to send the books but she got her start 5 years ago she said "when all anyone had was a BLackberry."

I asked her if it is possible to pay less for a monthly fee if I do not get BIS "attatched to it" and she had no clue what I was talking about. It IS included NO EXTRA FEE.

I expect that when we pay this much for a month to month or a new plan (they are the same cost today) that they should have no problems including BIS, and they do....for now.

At Telus; when I went with another phone than the 9700 I was removed the bis plan of my new phone which did not required a bis service.
    Now being on month to month plan. It has gone down at $68.71/month from $80 something with 2 gig of data.
    12-02-16 10:10 PM
    Also Telus said if one doesn't use a bbos devices the bis is removed
    12-02-16 10:12 PM
    At Telus; when I went with another phone than the 9700 I was removed the bis plan of my new phone which did not required a bis service.
    Now being on month to month plan. It has gone down at $68.71/month from $80 something with 2 gig of data.
    That's pretty good, Telus seems to be the way to go. That is a significant savings without BIS.

My friend is with Telus and he absolutely loves it. He got his iPhone 5c one month after I got mine and he didn't have to pay anything for his to go on a two-year contract and I had to pay $80 with Rogers. Now fortunately we have Best Buy and they always have deals so basically you don't pay anything for a phone that's one year-old.
    12-02-16 10:20 PM
    Also Telus said if one doesn't use a bbos devices the bis is removed
    And this is the reason why Telus is a little cheaper than Rogers. My friend is paying about $60 a month and he does not have BIS attached.

So we can conclude that they charge about $15 extra for BIS with Telus anyway..
    12-02-16 10:21 PM
    It's already free in some countries, like the UK.

I bet it really costs the carriers nothing ... all they are doing is redirecting traffic to a BlackBerry server. (Only streaming media gets carried over their network, which they will charge you for as it uses up your data allowance.)
    12-02-16 11:24 PM
    It's already free in some countries, like the UK.

I bet it really costs the carriers nothing ... all they are doing is redirecting traffic to a BlackBerry server. (Only streaming media gets carried over their network, which they will charge you for as it uses up your data allowance.)
    BlackBerry still makes $92 million (26% of $352 million) off of charging carriers system access fees for BIS. And since it's their quarterly filing and not a promise from Chen it means that that's actually the case.
    12-03-16 12:04 AM
    BlackBerry still makes $92 million (26% of $352 million) off of charging carriers system access fees for BIS. And since it's their quarterly filing and not a promise from Chen it means that that's actually the case.
    Correct. But it was also the problem why BlackBerry (back then RIM) has never been like Apple. You need BIS to work with a phone that was already pretty expensive (e.g. 9900). If Apple would charge something for usage of its services like AppStore or iCloud, iPhone would go the same way BBOS7 did.

Posted through my  Z30
    12-03-16 02:55 AM
    I use BlackBerry smartphone 9900 but is still at our set of BIS services, I used the BB10 OS or do not like him, I found myself in a 9900 model and will use it as long as I could ...

Whether the story is that someone has information that you will ever be free of BIS or more favorable ...

Thank you all for your answers ...
    Free BIS would mean.. I'll buy a 9900!

Posted through my  Z30
    12-03-16 02:57 AM
33 12