Post removed.
    Last edited by jrohland; 05-07-14 at 01:52 PM.
    07-22-12 06:50 AM
    But really how is Bb10 going to be any different? To compete consumers are going to want access to apps like vevo, youtube, Spotify, Netflix, Skype etc which are all data hungry and as far as I am aware are not and cannot do via done via BIS? Moreover is it even clear if the BIS infrastructure can scale to cope with far more massive amounts of data than before? Or will BIS plans have to increase in price to cover this?

Plus carriers want a bigger cut of the BIS fees - so something has to give.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    Last edited by cgk; 07-22-12 at 07:11 AM.
    Drew808 and aniym like this.
    07-22-12 07:06 AM
    I admit that other devices encourage heavy data use. I consider myself a heavy data user @ about 4-5 Gb per month but I use my phone like a mobile office so I could care less about data; even though I pay for it. I think the only "marketing" advantage BB would have would be in the emerging countries where heavy data use is not an option. With the sheer amount of media related functions on modern operating systems I think BB7 will be the last to be able to tout the "data stingy" title. Also if BB10 is LTE you can be certain that data usage consumption will not be mentioned as a selling point.
    07-22-12 07:16 AM
    For the most part consumers are dumb, the data savings of a device doesn't change how a user buys their devices more often than not, even Company's are dumb when they make a rash change and don't realize the benefits they were getting before.

HOW often do you audit your phone usage and adjust your plan accordingly?
    IF you are paying $5 for unlimited texting but send 20 texts a month, and texts costs 10c each if you don't have a plan, do you drop the $5 unlimited texts? surprisingly most people DON'T they pay the extra for the "just in case" same with data, if they use just over 1GB per month and the plan for 2GB is $10, and 3GB $12 more often the user will go with the 3GB plan because it's only $2 more for so much more data.

Carriers know this, and know how to price to give you far more than you need, they don't want you going over your usage every month, it costs them money to manage your overages, and dealing with arguments on the phone and lower customer satisfaction they much prefer to over sell you at the start.

Lets assume RIM isn't dropping BIS as some people are claiming,
    and lets assume that BB10 will have all the glorious Media consumption tools to eat data like crazy.

Does BIS have value? why yes it still does, with 4:1 compression on text your BBM's and emails, and average web browsing is still compressed, if you ARE data stingy then you can choose to not use the heavy data options and see great savings, chances are RIM will find a way to allow for a bypass of BIS for the heavy data traffic, like the youtube app on BB7, or video chat bypassing BIS,
    randall2580 likes this.
    07-22-12 07:29 AM
    Great points - consumers are Terrible at buying the right level of capacity, I used to be the same - the only reason I have 600 minutes on my plan is because that is the lowest possible number! :-D

pantlesspenguin likes this.
    07-22-12 07:54 AM
    Great points - consumers are Terrible at buying the right level of capacity, I used to be the same - the only reason I have 600 minutes on my plan is because that is the lowest possible number! :-D

Carriers are realizing that voice is the novelty feature like SMS was in the early 2000's
    I have unlimited minutes because my Plan with unlimited long distance minutes is cheaper than the 1000 long distance minutes I would usually use in a month, THOUGH I do over pay for data because I can't get the minutes I want with the data package I use. but I don't pay for SMS because well I just don't send them.
    07-22-12 08:02 AM
    Bell Mobility is offering up reduced 5 and 6 GB/(200 vm and all the whistles) plans for smartphones (afaik it's for newer Android devices) for around 50/month. The price is amazing though.
    Last edited by Oniberry; 07-22-12 at 08:46 AM.
    07-22-12 08:04 AM
    I have a plan that has 450 minutes per month with 4gb of data. At&t also has free mobile to mobile with other At&t phones so I never get to use all of the minutes which rollover to the next month. I currently have 4,441 rollover minutes so my monthly concern is only about data. I think the carriers realize that voice is a novelty feature because in reality no one really talks to anyone anymore except for quick 3-4 minute conversations. Most of the people I work with converse via facebook and I rarely see people actually talk on their phone. I also agree that the average consumer does not buy the right plan the first time that they get a smartphone; but after that they are no longer an average consumer as they are probably entrenched in an ecosystem and will know how much data they use from that point on.
    07-22-12 08:43 AM
    What will happen if the time comes when customers use LESS data and go back to talking?
    07-22-12 09:38 AM
    Then things will change - any reason that we expect such a trend to occur?

07-22-12 09:40 AM
    For the most part consumers are dumb, the data savings of a device doesn't change how a user buys their devices more often than not, even Company's are dumb when they make a rash change and don't realize the benefits they were getting before.

HOW often do you audit your phone usage and adjust your plan accordingly?
    IF you are paying $5 for unlimited texting but send 20 texts a month, and texts costs 10c each if you don't have a plan, do you drop the $5 unlimited texts? surprisingly most people DON'T they pay the extra for the "just in case" same with data, if they use just over 1GB per month and the plan for 2GB is $10, and 3GB $12 more often the user will go with the 3GB plan because it's only $2 more for so much more data.

Carriers know this, and know how to price to give you far more than you need, they don't want you going over your usage every month, it costs them money to manage your overages, and dealing with arguments on the phone and lower customer satisfaction they much prefer to over sell you at the start.

Lets assume RIM isn't dropping BIS as some people are claiming,
    and lets assume that BB10 will have all the glorious Media consumption tools to eat data like crazy.

Does BIS have value? why yes it still does, with 4:1 compression on text your BBM's and emails, and average web browsing is still compressed, if you ARE data stingy then you can choose to not use the heavy data options and see great savings, chances are RIM will find a way to allow for a bypass of BIS for the heavy data traffic, like the youtube app on BB7, or video chat bypassing BIS,
    also most people are suckers. my sister when she switch from a torch to an iPhone4s was convinced by rogers to get a 6gb plan that cost extra, she doesn't care as it is a family plan and paid for so she got it. i have a 500mb plan and i use all the data and i have never gon over my 500mb. so together we share 6.5gb and hardly ever go over 1 gig
    07-22-12 04:20 PM
    If you are using a BB there is probably no reason to go over 500mb.
    07-22-12 04:57 PM
    If you are using a BB there is probably no reason to go over 500mb.
    While that is true for a great many users I can assure you there are those of us who regularly exceed 3-4gb per billing cycle. I do, and this is with no streaming or tethering.
    07-22-12 05:09 PM
    While that is true for a great many users I can assure you there are those of us who regularly exceed 3-4gb per billing cycle. I do, and this is with no streaming or tethering.
    AG - if you don't stream/tether, what type of usage constitutes to 3-4GB/mo?
    07-22-12 10:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD