For either business or consumer needs? Can it have the security we need?
    greenberry666 likes this.
    01-15-15 01:45 PM
    Good question

Posted via CB10
    01-15-15 02:08 PM
    If they evaporate a lot of water

 Z10
    01-15-15 03:32 PM
    Could they... YES.

Should they... YES, even if it's only a BES option for enterprise users it would be a valuable option.

Will they... No, Apple spent Billions building data centers. While BlackBerry wouldn't need that much storage, it would be a pretty large investment for them. Add in the additional support requirements, equipment to handle the extra load on the NOC... It would cost much more than they could afford to spend up front right now. Even if there was a chance to regain it over the coming years with additional Options Fees.
    marty314 likes this.
    01-15-15 03:40 PM
    BES CLOUD is coming.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-15 06:28 PM
    BES CLOUD is coming.

Posted via CB10

BES Cloud is here....

I was thinking more along the lines of traditional Cloud Services that others provide - Apps, Storage, Email. As far as I know, that hasn't been announced or even talked about.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    01-16-15 09:10 AM
    Could they... YES.

Should they... YES, even if it's only a BES option for enterprise users it would be a valuable option.

Will they... No, Apple spent Billions building data centers. While BlackBerry wouldn't need that much storage, it would be a pretty large investment for them. Add in the additional support requirements, equipment to handle the extra load on the NOC... It would cost much more than they could afford to spend up front right now. Even if there was a chance to regain it over the coming years with additional Options Fees.
    Realistically, how many data centers would they need? And do we know how many they have in place already? I'm sure they have some infrastructure in place that they could leverage (and ramp up) to accommodate this.

A cloud equivalent to iCloud is not a luxury, but a base requirement to compete in this space. If this is not on their road map, it better find its way on it ASAP. And then they can market it to the masses about how much more secure it is than iCloud.
    01-16-15 12:19 PM
    Can I just have a full version of BlackBerry Protect working? Please???

Am I asking too much lol?

Posted via CB10
    01-16-15 12:54 PM
    They do already. It's just not as full-featured as others. Question should be will BlackBerry expand their cloud offerings?
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    01-16-15 01:06 PM
    Don't they already have one?

Posted via CB10
    01-16-15 01:08 PM
    The most important question concerning a Blackberry cloud: Would they give the NSA or other authorities access to the data stored in it like e.g. Microsoft (or would they be forced to) or would they offer a cloud without any possibility to access to users data like MEGA.
    01-17-15 07:23 AM
    Encrypt your info before uploading it to the cloud
    01-17-15 08:56 AM
    Do you really need a cloud with BlackBerry blend and Dropbox, etc etc?

Or a bigger question, do you really need a cloud at all?

I know I don't, but I could be in the minority.

Wait a minute, I use a blackberry. I am in the minority.

Posted via CB10
    DarkJoker33 likes this.
    01-17-15 10:40 AM
    I hope so, don't really like using any of the typical Dropbox, box, Google etc.

Posted on my Z30.......while on the can
    01-17-15 12:36 PM
    If they do expand their services it'll probably be aimed at enterprises to begin with.

Most consumers are happy with Dropbox etc, and BB10 integrates perfectly fine with those services.

Would I like a secure cloud storage from BlackBerry for me, yes, but I'm a minority and not part of their focus right now in comparison to enterprise.

Posted via CB10
    DarkJoker33 likes this.
    01-17-15 01:28 PM
    Storage space is so cheap I have no use for a cloud service.

If you want to access remote storage, get a NAS or just use a router with USB 3.0 and plug a few TB external drives to it. Secure it with a key and throw some encryption and it and boom, your own personal secure cloud.

Heck, for a couple hundred you could have a full fledged NAS server running your own streaming, email, Web server, remote file access, etc accessible from anywhere in the world.

Posted in CB10 from my amazing Passport
    01-17-15 02:18 PM
    This ^^^

CB10 @ Q5
    01-17-15 02:28 PM
    I think any tech company that wants to have a serious piece of the consumer pie has to consider an in-house cloud service.

Having said that, I don't know if Blackberry can -- or even should -- consider such at this point... even if it was maintaining a consumer focus.
    01-17-15 02:43 PM
    What about a cheap micro sd card. Now there is a cloud service that takes zero data to access.

Posted via CB10
    DarkJoker33 likes this.
    01-17-15 05:58 PM
    What about a cheap micro sd card. Now there is a cloud service that takes zero data to access.

Posted via CB10
    Doesn't solve the number one issue cloud storage supposedly addresses i.e universal access from multiple terminals.
    01-17-15 07:02 PM
    The cloud service in my own view is running but on a low level by BBRY.

What should interest BBRY faithfuls and/or converts from other OSes is; the security mechanisms BBRY is going to embed into this feature.

the Big Q is now: How is BBRY equipped and committed to provide a Secure cloud service to its teeming consumers and addicts.

How will they make Enterprise users benefit from this feature to a maximum security level?

In all, our encouragement matters and being optimistic towards BBRY products and services gives Waterloo a restless service to us.

Long Live BlackBerry, CrackBerry and we 'dem BBRY boiz'

Z30 faithful, BB10 hopeful.
    01-17-15 11:27 PM
    No. They advertise the Blend as "No cloud."

Posted via CB10
    01-18-15 05:10 AM
    The other argument on the enterprise side is that BES is a direct connection into the corporate network. If you have access from your handset of any resources that you would have sitting from your desk, why build out a cloud infrastructure?

Enterprise adoption of cloud services outside of Azure or AWS has been limited. Services that the average consumer think of, like Dropbox, are either forbidden or used as rogue services by employees. The issues with cloud services for enterprise customers becomes an issue of control: the data is no longer under their direct control, and subject to someone else's security and access policies.

A strength for BlackBerry right now is that they offer access to most of the popular cloud services without playing favourites. They could also partner with one of these services, Box would seem to be a good partner, to give them back end security in exchange for a BlackBerry branded cloud product, or use of their storage to build out a service.

As we've seen from iCloud, Dropbox, and other services, the cloud isn't the panacea of storage it was intended to be, and BlackBerry does offer a competing product through BES and its access to corporate resources.

Posted via CB10
    01-18-15 07:41 AM
    The other argument on the enterprise side is that BES is a direct connection into the corporate network. If you have access from your handset of any resources that you would have sitting from your desk, why build out a cloud infrastructure?

Enterprise adoption of cloud services outside of Azure or AWS has been limited. Services that the average consumer think of, like Dropbox, are either forbidden or used as rogue services by employees. The issues with cloud services for enterprise customers becomes an issue of control: the data is no longer under their direct control, and subject to someone else's security and access policies.

A strength for BlackBerry right now is that they offer access to most of the popular cloud services without playing favourites. They could also partner with one of these services, Box would seem to be a good partner, to give them back end security in exchange for a BlackBerry branded cloud product, or use of their storage to build out a service.

As we've seen from iCloud, Dropbox, and other services, the cloud isn't the panacea of storage it was intended to be, and BlackBerry does offer a competing product through BES and its access to corporate resources.

Posted via CB10

Cloud is more than storage, the cloud is seen as method of working entirely through an online medium. What BlackBerry should do is to partner with cloud vendors from different fields to provide a cloud service to BlackBerry devices. Though this would provide nothing unique or special to BlackBerry, to create that unique selling point they would need their own which corporate clients can finely tune and control over their device fleet.
    01-18-15 01:10 PM
    Cloud is more than storage, the cloud is seen as method of working entirely through an online medium. What BlackBerry should do is to partner with cloud vendors from different fields to provide a cloud service to BlackBerry devices. Though this would provide nothing unique or special to BlackBerry, to create that unique selling point they would need their own which corporate clients can finely tune and control over their device fleet.
    That's right. Cloud can be any kind of remote computing, whether it's storage, Virtual Machines, web services, database services, document management, ... etc.

:-)

Considerations:
    Is the cloud service provider reliable and trustworthy enough...? What is their security policy? What is their jurisdiction like, and which jurisdiction applies in the worst case...? How do you protect against government espionage, rogue or corporate intellectual property (IP) espionage, or even foreign government IP espionage...?

(Edit: spelling)

�   2015 - already in full swing - berry good ...   �
    twiggyrj likes this.
    01-18-15 05:04 PM
28 12