Not happening. Android uses a Monolithic Kernel whereas QNX utilizes Microkernel. It's basically two OS's on opposite ends of the spectrum that do tasks completely differently.
    They can already run android apps so I don't see Google not using this secure technology to push android into the corporate world.

With all their cash it's unlikely they wouldn't invest in rewriting android.
    07-21-11 11:47 AM
    Who cares? Unless they take all the good from Android and all the good from BB and make a new OS then it might work BUT as it stands now Android is doing really well because of Marketing. IMHO. I just can't get used to this OS on the Droid 2. Does nothing for me.
    Marketing? Google does little to no marketing for Android, in my estimation, which I think does the platform a disservice.

I could be wrong, but I think they are the only major OS that does less directed PR than RIM.
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    07-21-11 11:55 AM
    Marketing? Google does little to no marketing for Android, in my estimation, which I think does the platform a disservice.

I could be wrong, but I think they are the only major OS that does less directed PR than RIM.
    I live in Canada and I see much more marketing for Android devices than any Blackberry. Of course, these are the manufacturers ads, and not really Google's
    07-21-11 12:17 PM
    I live in Canada and I see much more marketing for Android devices than any Blackberry. Of course, these are the manufacturers ads, and not really Google's
    That is the thing...VZW does their "Droid" and such, others do their lines. Causes confusion with consumers. I think a concerted effort by Google would be good to unify the OS in the eyes of the public
    07-21-11 12:32 PM
    Myself I don't want google everything.
    07-21-11 12:41 PM

So you have seen more ads for Blackberry phones from staples, best buy, etc than for Android phones? Interesting it is just the opposite in my area.

And as for WHO is really doing the marketing. I am sure Staples, Best Buy, etc. isn't footing 100% of the bill for ads. Google is putting up some money. Manufacturers/Suppliers do coop advertising all the time.
    07-21-11 12:51 PM
    It's probably the phone manufacturers putting up the money along with the carriers to sell the things. Google gives the OS away why would they pay to advertise it?
    07-21-11 01:05 PM
    It's probably the phone manufacturers putting up the money along with the carriers to sell the things. Google gives the OS away why would they pay to advertise it?
    So Google doesn't make any money getting their software in the hands of people? Pretty pointless endeavor then. Why bother releasing something if there is zero economic gain?
    07-21-11 01:31 PM
    Androids speed and features, along with the keyboard.... Maybe then blackberry could beat iPhone
    07-21-11 02:00 PM
    Blackberry keyboard that is
    07-21-11 02:01 PM
    So Google doesn't make any money getting their software in the hands of people? Pretty pointless endeavor then. Why bother releasing something if there is zero economic gain?
    I'm sure they make money off the app store. Never said I understand it but I hear they do give the OS away for anyone to use.
    07-21-11 02:04 PM
    Google makes money off the app store.

Google is, for all intent and purposes, an advertising company. Everything they put out is a means to that end. Judging by Google's latest balance sheet, it is far from pointless.

I have never seen a Google ad touting Android. I think it makes sense for them to do that, but then again, I am not an advertising giant, so what do I know?
    07-21-11 02:55 PM

Google is, for all intent and purposes, an advertising company. Everything they put out is a means to that end. Judging by Google's latest balance sheet, it is far from pointless.

I have never seen a Google ad touting Android. I think it makes sense for them to do that, but then again, I am not an advertising giant, so what do I know?
    I know it isn't pointless. I am merely pointing out that yes in fact google is making money on Android, AND just because google themselves doesn't advertise Android it does not mean that they aren't so what involved in creative, ad dollars, etc.
    07-21-11 03:53 PM
    Maybe not completely but yes
    07-21-11 04:14 PM
    if you look at todays posts you'll see, BB QNX already runs google.
    07-21-11 08:19 PM
    Blackberry keyboard that is
    Androids speed and features, along with the keyboard.... Maybe then blackberry could beat iPhone
    The blackberry keyboard is already on an android device.
    Check it out Motorola XPRT Photos (Phone Scoop) It may not be the exact BB keyboard but from the looks it looks pretty close.
    07-22-11 02:06 AM
    The only reason google would bother is to obtain patents. Every other reason describes something that google could do without buying rim.
    The real question is, had google shown any interest in the areas rim has patents in? Phone tech? No. Design? Even if they did, look at the xprt. Bbos? No, they have android. A secure and virus free platform? I think android proves beyond argument they don't care about that in the slightest (remember, they make money by gathering your info for targeted advertising).
    So when you actually stop to think about it, it's very unlikely that google will buy rim.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    07-22-11 02:26 AM
    Doubt it. Google will get sued. I don't want to see a precious device get ruined. if it has the Android App Player, it will be marvelous!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-11 04:25 AM
    The blackberry keyboard is already on an android device.
    Check it out Motorola XPRT Photos (Phone Scoop) It may not be the exact BB keyboard but from the looks it looks pretty close.
    Looks exactly like the Droid Pro keyboard which is known to be horrible.
    07-22-11 05:21 AM
    Doubt it. Google will get sued. I don't want to see a precious device get ruined. if it has the Android App Player, it will be marvelous!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Google ruin blackberry, idk mike and Jim have done a great job ruining blackberry on their own. Tbh I would love to see google buy blackberry. Yes I'm new to the platform still stary eye'd with my Samsung galaxy tab and Samsung infuse, but I've had my fair share of force closes. You also have to realize google isn't gunna tell a manufacturer what they can or can't do with the phone really, other wise moto-blur probably wouldn't have been a thought. If blackberry is treated as an individual entity and be allowed to still produce the biggest thing android would gain is secure devices able to be used in the u.s government, were as blackberry would gain the marketplaces. The only things that might change is maybe the skin to look a little more like an android but blackberry has themes to begin with. More then likely they would offer a android theme with Widgets and a classic blackberry theme without Widgets then a custom theme that has both. I don't think it would kill blackberry, if anything help with new blood and crazy pants marketing.
    Now with honeycomb and qnx I'm thinking that they may offer qnx up as an alternative to honeycomb. Personally honeycomb is no better then froyo, between honeycomb and qnx hands down qnx is better. I would think they could do themes on top of qnx to make it look like honeycomb.
    The market places are the same percentage no matter what platform you have be it ios, Android, HP, windows, or nokia. All the market places are about 87% crap apps, 3% border line, and 10% decent. I proved that to my self when I got a Ipad, you would think the king of mobile would be different.
    If mike and Jim aren't removed the best thing that could happen is a buyout by google. Remember they aren't big on pressuring manufacturers to do anything but put the android name on a device. The playbook really isn't to far off being an android because well you know with that android player. I would rather see blackberry be its own but between a buyout of ios or google, google hands down.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by drethos; 07-22-11 at 06:17 AM.
    movi3king likes this.
    07-22-11 06:13 AM

I think they also draw revenue from their mobile sync cloud services that they insist folk use, my understanding is that they sell on ad leads. This to me is one reason it's not safe.
    07-22-11 08:07 AM
    Who cares? Unless they take all the good from Android and all the good from BB and make a new OS then it might work BUT as it stands now Android is doing really well because of Marketing. IMHO. I just can't get used to this OS on the Droid 2. Does nothing for me.
    I don't think marketing in actually driving Android, at least what I see. To me, it seems the flooding of the market with devices is the real driver and no so much of the marketing of those devices. There are only certain devices that seem to get heavy publicity and usually by the carrier that is selling it. Like the Thunderbolt, EVO, Droid (when it first came out) etc... But for the most part, it doesn't seem that it's really marketed very heavy. It's quantity and variety. When you have a bunch of Android devices on 1 carrier that comes in different form factors and UIs on top of Android that contributes to the success more than the marketing. I actually think marketing is one of the weaknesses with Android because many people don't even know what they are buying sometimes. Some people just know they got the HTC phone or the Samsung phone and don't know that both phones run the same underlying OS. But with blackberry, you know you have a blackberry and with an iPhone you know you have an iPhone. With Android, many people really don't know.
    07-22-11 08:37 AM
    With Google trying to get into EVERYTHING you don't think that they would keep QNX? A smartphone OS is peanuts compared to the rest of what QNX does.
    It was suggested that Google would get rid of Android and use QNX. And that's what I was disputed. Google only cares about advertising. They do not care about the positives of QNX. They just care about advertising. They don't care about making the best OS platform. They care about how they can make people buy one so they can advertise. Anyone that thinks they would abandon Android for QNX is being very silly.
    07-22-11 08:40 AM
    antitrust, says it wont happen
    07-22-11 09:09 AM
    Moving along, Android, RIM has an app for that.
    07-22-11 09:11 AM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD